Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Just seems that tomorrow we'll hear of Peters being named GM/VP of OPS 

It’s been said that Josh Harris goes hard in the paint for guys he really wants, so here’s hoping you’re right.

1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

So, not be be a negative Nancy here but....  Josh Harris does not appear to have a great track record during his ownership tenures of the 76ers and Devils.  He purchased the 76ers in October 2011, the team squeaked into the playoffs in 2011-2012, then endured 5 straight dreadful seasons trying to "tank" to get top picks. I remember the national media harping on the teams inability to succeed despite having a boat load of top picks, including some colossal misses Jahilil Okafor/#3, Ben Simmons/#1, Markelle Fultz/#1. The team didn't turn a winning record until 2017-2018, but still hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs. Also on their 4th coach (I know, NBA coaches come and go far more often than in the NFL, but still).

As far as the Devils, his group took them over in 2013, and they've generally been terrible, only making the playoffs twice. So I definitely understand the excitement with having Snyder gone and all, he burned this franchise to the ground.  But in a vacuum, Josh Harris is not what I'd describe as a successful sports franchise owner. 

I knew Florio was posting on this board. 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is like debating whether you would rather be burned to death at the stake or drowned in acid.  At the end you're dead in both cases and it was painful either way.  

The opposite of love isn't hate but indifference.  So Jay still brings passion out of you.  So it feels like you are coming around on Jay. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, illone said:

I admittedly havent looked too much into his other teams sans peeking at his NBA record the past few years, but the 76ers have been contenders.  I think most fans here would be happy with making the playoffs consistently... 

The reason I was so in favor of Harris as an owner was specifically because he didn't take a "let's make the playoffs" approach to building his teams. 

In those sports particularly it is pretty easy to patch things and make the playoffs. Which many owners are content with because it brings in playoff revenue and keeps enough fans buying tickets. But it's not any kind of a way to build a real contender. 

Harris chose the hard path, and the long path. Which is why those teams have talent that puts them in the championship conversation. He wasn't content to be, say, the Washington Wizards of recent years. Just shooting for a little above the middle and not really trying to be more than that, because it would take time and sacrifice. 

If people want to criticize him because his organizations made some mistakes, that isn't really worth anyone's time, imo. 

• Like 1

I was debating doing a seperate thread for this.  for now I'll put it here.  But anyone who wants to do a seperate thread about Snider's takes on the GMs, feel free because I think the thread might break now

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 9
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

So, not be be a negative Nancy here but....  Josh Harris does not appear to have a great track record during his ownership tenures of the 76ers and Devils.  He purchased the 76ers in October 2011, the team squeaked into the playoffs in 2011-2012, then endured 5 straight dreadful seasons trying to "tank" to get top picks. I remember the national media harping on the teams inability to succeed despite having a boat load of top picks, including some colossal misses Jahilil Okafor/#3, Ben Simmons/#1, Markelle Fultz/#1. The team didn't turn a winning record until 2017-2018, but still hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs. Also on their 4th coach (I know, NBA coaches come and go far more often than in the NFL, but still).

As far as the Devils, his group took them over in 2013, and they've generally been terrible, only making the playoffs twice. So I definitely understand the excitement with having Snyder gone and all, he burned this franchise to the ground.  But in a vacuum, Josh Harris is not what I'd describe as a successful sports franchise owner. 

I see where you are coming from but there are more bust in the top half of the NBA drafts every year than in any other league in my opinion.By the way, how was the track record of our last owner? 

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The reason I was so in favor of Harris as an owner was specifically because he didn't take a "let's make the playoffs" approach to building his teams. 

In those sports particularly it is pretty easy to patch things and make the playoffs. Which many owners are content with because it brings in playoff revenue and keeps enough fans buying tickets. But it's not any kind of a way to build a real contender. 

Harris chose the hard path, and the long path. Which is why those teams have talent that puts them in the championship conversation. He wasn't content to be, say, the Washington Wizards of recent years. Just shooting for a little above the middle and not really trying to be more than that, because it would take time and sacrifice. 

If people want to criticize him because his organizations made some mistakes, that isn't really worth anyone's time, imo. 

Harris will spend to win and will bring in the best people he can find to his liking. Like anyone else, he will miss on some of his choices but he won't cut corners or do anything on the cheap. We have a very, very solid owner here who will not embarrass us and will very much improve the fan experience and overall product. He will put solid people in place and support them when they need his money to acquire players, coaches etc.....just watch and be patient. (this is not pointed at you Firefly, it's a general statement)

Listening to Keim/Bram now 7:30pm show.  Both believe (gut) that Peters is the guy Harris wants and that he would take title:  PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS/GENERAL MANAGER and hire a GM.  More as it happens over the podcast....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

I see where you are coming from but there are more bust in the top half of the NBA drafts every year than in any other league in my opinion.By the way, how was the track record of our last owner? 

To win in the NBA, you MUST have a top 10 NBA player at least.  The best way to obtain said player is to tank.  Stern screwed them by imposing Colangelo as their GM (the Vinny Cerrato of the NBA) and replacing Sam Henke because they were taking too hard.  Well, they eventually got a top 10 player in Embiid and if Colangelo didn't screw up trading for Fultz instead of Tatum, Philly might have a title by now.  

He's way better than the Wizards owner who for years decided that going for the 8th seed was good enough.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Harris will spend to win and will bring in the best people he can find to his liking. Like anyone else, he will miss on some of his choices but he won't cut corners or do anything on the cheap. We have a very, very solid owner here who will not embarrass us and will very much improve the fan experience and overall product. He will put solid people in place and support them when they need his money to acquire players, coaches etc.....just watch and be patient. (this is not pointed at you Firefly, it's a general statement)

Yes, but what I'm getting at is it doesn't matter if you hire the right people and let them do their jobs if the priorities you give them are wrong. 

Plenty of good GMs have been hired and then expected to build a team that's good enough to sell tickets quickly. That isn't what Harris has done with his other teams. 

• Thumb up 2

The Panthers’ initial list for GM interviews is interesting, in that it includes more guys from the analytics/cap/operations side (five) than the scouting side (four), and it raises the possibility that Carolina, like Washington, is toying with straying from a traditional setup.

To that end, one thing that’s been rumored in these circles over the last week is that owner David Tepper is seriously considering the idea of pairing incumbent assistant GM Dan Morgan with one the ops side guys, be it Tampa’s Mike Greenberg, Kansas City’s Brandt Tilis, Philadelphia’s Alec Halaby, New Orleans’s Khai Harley or Baltimore’s Nick Matteo.

And the idea that such a setup would be considered is bolstered by the prominent role that ex-Chelsea FC executive Mike Forde is taking in the search—with the Panthers having retained Forde’s firm, Sportsology, to assist in finding a top executive and coach.

There’s also evidence that Carolina is very sensitive to perception that its job is not desirable, having checked in with candidates to try to make sure they’d accept interview requests before formally putting slips in. That explains, for one, why the team would be careful about putting in a slip for someone like Dallas Cowboys VP of player personnel Will McClay, who is comfortable in his job and has turned down requests in the past—even after the Panthers contacted Dallas, and effectively did what the slip would, in asking for him.

• McClay’s case is worth examining.

He’s without question one of the top candidates out there on the GM side, and has an incredible track record of filling the Cowboys roster on the high and low ends through free agency and the draft. He was also once a coach and has a good history of working with coaches through his time with Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy.

At the same time, the Jones family has deployed him in a GM-type role and made it worth his while to stay. He’s lived in Dallas for a long time, and he and his family are comfortable there. That’s allowed for him to be picky about opportunities that have come his way.

I believe McClay will eventually leave to take his shot and be a fantastic GM. But at this point, especially with owners who are sensitive to the idea that their jobs might, again, not be the most desirable (and a lot of jobs like that exist on the market, otherwise they wouldn’t be open) ones out there, there can be this fear of being shot down. Which is why an owner might just call another owner and put a request in personally, rather than submitting a slip formally that winds up going to the league.

• The Commanders’ search for a president of football operations is underway, and the first piece of it started on Tuesday with Chiefs assistant GM Mike Borgonzi, Browns assistant GM Glenn Cook and 49ers assistant GM Adam Peters interviewing with owner Josh Harris and consultants Rick Spielman and Bob Myers in Miami.

Whoever gets that job will be a part of filling out the rest of the org chart, with the likelihood being it’ll be like some basketball or baseball clubs, where the president of operations oversees the general manager and head coach (or manager, in baseball). And this sort of setup has existed, to a degree, before, with ex-coaches like Bill Parcells in Miami, Mike Holmgren in Cleveland and Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville captaining such structures.

The difference this time around, based on the interview list, is that the Commanders probably see the top role as a lot less of an emeritus type of role than the Dolphins, Browns or Jaguars did. But the general idea with those was that you’d have an over-the-top guy tying everything together, and I think, for the Commanders, it’ll be a more involved, younger guy doing some of the same things.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Keim/Bram think Jon Allen think it could go either way. Trade or renegotiate his contract.  When new FO/HC comes in ask him do you want to stay or go.  You (Allen spoke out and said earlier in season) you were looking to move on.  Needs to be spoken over with Allen, FO, HC.  

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

image.gif.ae4d2522b4738b102584aedb4ce1ff89.gif

A screenshot of this legitimately should be your avatar and I’m willing to bribe some mods to make it happen. 

This is what I see when you talk about running the ball. I’m so serious lol

• Haha 2

Podcast is over. 

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Doesn't mean much. He's advising on GM, who will in turn pick coach. 

You can tweet Keim and let him know that. I'm just posting tidbits to those who care about what's being said in it.  Have a nice day! :) 

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to a reporter who covers Peters in SF and knows him some, he thinks good shot Peters leaves to DC.

It really all lines up, SIP.  Myers, good friends with Peters and hired with Spielman too his brother working with and knowing Johnson.  Strategic moves to seem to target the guys they want.  It's more than that though because either one of those targets can fall through but the most important one is Peters who would build this ship.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1