Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Birdlives said:

my impression is that Florio likes to throw stuff against the wall. If it sticks he’s out in front, if it doesn’t the news cycle will wash it clean. Several months ago he threw it out there that Washington would trade for Belichik. He’s been stringing this one along for a while.  He moved away from the trade thing but he’s still trying to associate the team with Belichik.

Yup. These reporters/aggregators are all right and wrong at different clips (very different), but imo you can decide whether to trust these guys or not based on how much they value their own reputation. How willing is someone to put their name on something and hit publish, or post? Keim is very conservative with a very high hit rate. Florio likes to spray and pray and isn’t concerned with his reputation whatsoever, he’ll enthusiastically put his name on anything for clicks.

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

This is definitely a strong message. Ownership plan to turn things around quickly, perhaps quicker than some of us would have predicted.

So what is that supposed to mean for folks that feels we've never done a true rebuild before?

I was ready, Harris doesn't seem to be.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

So what is that supposed to mean for folks that feels we've never done a true rebuild before?

I was ready, Harris doesn't seem to be.

True rebuild just doesn't have to take that long in the NFL anymore

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just now, bearrock said:

I agree.

What is a rebuild anymore?

Teams like Jags, Lions, and Dolphins turned it around way faster then us...did they do something differently or right?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Exactly.

It feels like it should be long and painful here because we don’t draft well or use FA well.

If you have smart people running the front office major strides happen fast especially if you get the QB - see the Texans among plenty other examples.

If you have no QB like this team typically doesn’t and draft poorly then yeah it will take forever 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Curious how quickly we'll name a Head of Football Operations (HOFO from now on). 

Do we offer Peters after dinner tonight? Do we interview further candidates tomorrow and make an offer on Thursday? Considering how quickly they set these interviews up, I'd have to imagine they went into the process with an order of preference and then let the interviews dictate if anyone moves up/down. If Peters was atop the list, and he performs well in the interview, do you just offer straight up fearing other teams could come in? I would assume we'd move quickly. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Exactly.

It feels like it should be long and painful here because we don’t draft well or use FA well.

If you have smart people running the front office major strides happen fast especially if you get the QB - see the Texans among plenty other examples.

If you have no QB like this team typically doesn’t and draft poorly then yeah it will take forever 

The Texans were also supposedly bereft of talent across the roster. Sure Stroud could have been "the guy" but the entire team stepped up this year. Obv. they have holes, but if you go back to the pre-season almost everyone had the Cardinals slated for picks #1 and #2 because the Texans roster was not a "good rookie QB away" ... 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I really dont want a defensive head coach. The problem with that is even if you find an offensive genius they will get poached in a year or two for a head coaching gig. It happens all over the league. Then you are constantly having to start over on the offensive side of the ball. We meed a QB guru offensive head coach for our incoming rookie QB. We need the two of them to grow together. 

The challenge is going to be there really are only 2-3 offensive coordinator HC candidates that are in the "hot" category:

- Ben Johnson (Detroit OC)

- Bobby Slowik (Houston OC)

- Frank Smith (Miami OC)

Frank Smith doesn't call plays. But neither did Pederson or Reid for that matter (and a bunch of others) before they got HC jobs.  

There are a lot more defensive coaches available.

I hear you on the OC thing though. However, what Belichick did in New England is he basically said "this is the Patriots offense.  Whoever comes in as OC runs this offense." So the terminology and the offense basically was the same no matter who was running it.  If we get a defensive coach, I hope they can do that, and they can promote OCs from within.  Ben Johnson was promoted from within, he was the passing game coordinator before OC.  If you can groom guys to take over, then you can keep the offense the same and switch coordinators.

What you don't want to do is keep switching systems.  That's a disaster.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Curious how quickly we'll name a Head of Football Operations (HOFO from now on). 

Do we offer Peters after dinner tonight? Do we interview further candidates tomorrow and make an offer on Thursday? Considering how quickly they set these interviews up, I'd have to imagine they went into the process with an order of preference and then let the interviews dictate if anyone moves up/down. If Peters was atop the list, and he performs well in the interview, do you just offer straight up fearing other teams could come in? I would assume we'd move quickly. 

The Texans were also supposedly bereft of talent across the roster. Sure Stroud could have been "the guy" but the entire team stepped up this year. Obv. they have holes, but if you go back to the pre-season almost everyone had the Cardinals slated for picks #1 and #2 because the Texans roster was not a "good rookie QB away" ... 

Rising tide raises all boats, plus their division is trash (Texans)

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If this is what she was referencing major props I'd give to @Voice_of_Reason's favorite reporter

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 3.22.33 PM.png

So, this is the problem with the vague original tweet and why I despise that type of "reporting:" She can "claim victory" in 67 different ways if something unexpected happens.  

1. McClay departs the Cowboys

2. Eagles fire Sirani.

3. Cowboys fire McCarthy

4. Giants fire Wink.

Hell, she could have quoted out Wink's fire on that tweet and THAT might have been what she was referencing.

Who knows if this is what she was referencing or not.  Or if she just threw something out there and now can do a small victory dance about how smart she is.  

"something unexpected is going to happen" is a good bet in every division.  

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

What is a "true rebuild"? The definition of a rebuild IMO is to find a QB, once that happens you can fill in the gaps quickly and become a competitive team.

I can agree with this.

If you can hit on QB and picks put around him, should start winning, and thus a successful rebuild.

Continuing to hit on picks and not dropping off is how you keep winning or eventually breakthrough all the way to the top.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree.

What is a rebuild anymore?

Teams like Jags, Lions, and Dolphins turned it around way faster then us...did they do something differently or right?

Jags got Pederson and Lawrence, Dolphins got Tua and McDaniels, Lions got Goff and Ben Johnson.

It's an offensive league.  If you have a HC/OC who's really good with a good to great QB, in MOST circumstances, that's a turnaround.  

I'll allow for the odd situations like the Chargers where they seem to have a QB, but I'm not sure about Kellen Moore, and the HC was a mess.  

We've had neither piece of the puzzle for a turnaround.  

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can .........  Just ...... hear Chris ........ Russell .......  talking about how ....... much better the .........JOB IS  ....... right now......  on the ......  ....  RADIO because ......  Josh ...... HarrisIsABetterOwner ..........  ThanDanSnyder..........

Also, this quote from the "no **** sherlock" files.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jags got Pederson and Lawrence, Dolphins got Tua and McDaniels, Lions got Goff and Ben Johnson.

It's an offensive league.  If you have a HC/OC who's really good with a good to great QB, in MOST circumstances, that's a turnaround.  

I'll allow for the odd situations like the Chargers where they seem to have a QB, but I'm not sure about Kellen Moore, and the HC was a mess.  

We've had neither piece of the puzzle for a turnaround.  

This is why I'm supposed we're looking ar more DCs then OCs for HC. 

The trend is clearly young talented OCs with young talents QBs...so makes you wonder what they know that we don't yet...

Just now, Renegade7 said:

This is why I'm supposed we're looking ar more DCs then OCs for HC. 

The trend is clearly young talented OCs with young talents QBs...so makes you wonder what they know that we don't yet...

There are really only 3 HC candidates who are circulating who are offensive guys.  Ben Johnson, Slowic and the guy from Miami.  That's pretty much it. 

So, the list is going to be tilted defense because there are more defensive coaches who are deemed better candidates right now.  

I'd prefer an offensive guy, but I really would MUCH prefer a better defensive coach to an ok offensive coach. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There are really only 3 HC candidates who are circulating who are offensive guys.  Ben Johnson, Slowic and the guy from Miami.  That's pretty much it. 

So, the list is going to be tilted defense because there are more defensive coaches who are deemed better candidates right now.  

I'd prefer an offensive guy, but I really would MUCH prefer a better defensive coach to an ok offensive coach. 

I'm fine with not forcing it to keep with the Jones as well.

They have to get this 1st pick right, set the tone.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chris Russell stating facts we've been talking about for months like they're new and original. He'll thump his chest in a couple of weeks like he's the only one to point this out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

They also have a good draft beyond Stroud.  Will Anderson, Tank Dell.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-cj-stroud-tank-dell-will-anderson-nick-caserio-demeco-ryans

Do Texans Have Top 2023 NFL Draft Class?

As the 2023 season winds down, has any team gotten a better return on their 2023 NFL Draft class than the Houston Texans?

So do the Texans have the best rookie class this season? NFL Media's Bucky Brooks recently ranked the top five classes thus far, and the Texans came in at No. 2. The only team above them is the Detroit Lions, who have a rookie class that includes tight end Sam LaPorta, running back Jahmyr Gibbs, safety Brian Branch and linebacker Jack Campbell. Detroit is 11-5 and has won their division for the first time since 1993. 

However, there's something to be said for figuring out the most important position, and the Texans appear to have done that. Quarterback C.J. Stroud, the No. 2 overall pick, is probably going to win Offensive Rookie of the Year. 

A pick later, the Texans selected pass rusher Will Anderson Jr., who has recorded 44 combined tackles, 22 quarterback hits, 10 tackles for a loss and seven sacks. 

Third-round pick Tank Dell is out for the season with left fibula fracture that he sustained in early December, but the rookie wideout had 47 catches for 709 yards and seven touchdowns before his injury. So far, this looks like a franchise-altering draft class. 

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Chris Russell stating facts we've been talking about for months like they're new and original. He'll thump his chest in a couple of weeks like he's the only one to point this out.

True but he's so negative that its good to see him on the bandwagon for a change :ols:

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree. I wouldn't cross off a really good coach just because he's a DC.

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The irony is I just listened to Jonathan Allen's interview and even he also preferred an offensive guy -- citing the common reason for it that you tend to lose your offensive coordinators working under a defensive minded coach. 

• Like 3

You have to hit the QB at #2. But yes, you absolutely need to nail the picks down the board too. The #36 and #40 picks should be fairly instant-impacts, and you'd hope for another starter / impact player with one of the 3rds. I would expect to come out of this draft with 4 instant impact players (including QB at #2) ... that would be a successful draft, with a slew of other contributors/depth plays from the other picks. Maybe a 7th rounder ends up being an impact player over a 2nd rounder. Doesn't matter to me, just need 4 instant impact type players coming out of this draft. And I think that should be a minimum expectation considering we have 6 picks in the Top 102. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

I'm sure Cunningham and Cook are very much legitimate candidates, but it can't be a coincidence that both are being interviewed before Peters.  If the brain trust feels like Peters is the guy, they would be in a position to immediately seal the deal.

Peters is tonight. Cunningham is tomorrow. No?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1