Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I'd be surprised if its Tomlin.   Breer also thought Belichick was a strong possibility.  Ditto Florio.  Keim has shut that down the Belichick rumor multiple times.

Everything Keim, Sheehan and others who seem to have a pipline to some within ownership have all said the GM will be hired first.  The GM will then hire the coach.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be surprised if its Tomlin.   Breer also thought Belichick was a strong possibility.  Ditto Florio.  Keim has shut that down the Belichick rumor multiple times.

Everything Keim, Sheehan and others who seem to have a pipline to some within ownership have all said the GM will be hired first.  The GM will then hire the coach.

Surely hoping so.  This would make me happy!  The way it should be done and first time since BB and JG.  I really like Hortiz and whoever he picks as HC.  

On 12/21/2023 at 6:09 PM, RVAskins said:

So first Belichick was linked to the Commanders. Now I read he's linked to the Bears. All of this noise is just conjecture. Take it with a grain of salt.

Belichick as their coach. Eric Bieniemy as their offensive coordinator.  There would compromising there.

My main issue with bringing in a coach like Tomlin is that I think behind the "name value" you still need the franchise QB to pair with him.  Most of Tomlin's tenure with the Steelers was with Big Ben at QB, but what kind of success has he had without him?  Howell is still a question mark and if they draft a QB in the draft it'll likely be another two seasons at least until we know for sure if they are a franchise QB as well.  

I kind of prefer going after young minds who have their eyes & ears on where the NFL is going rather than what was successful in the past. (I know there always some overlap there).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

She didn’t pair anyone specific, but said they could get their top choice due to the desirability of the position. 

I think all of us are on the Ben Johnson train but I also like a pairing of GM Hortiz and DC MacDonald from the Ravens.  That's just me.  Thanks for replying back, ATG. 👍

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

My main issue with bringing in a coach like Tomlin is that I think behind the "name value" you still need the franchise QB to pair with him.  Most of Tomlin's tenure with the Steelers was with Big Ben at QB, but what kind of success has he had without him?  Howell is still a question mark and if they draft a QB in the draft it'll likely be another two seasons at least until we know for sure if they are a franchise QB as well.  

I kind of prefer going after young minds who have their eyes & ears on where the NFL is going rather than what was successful in the past. (I know there always some overlap there).

For the most part they been a 9  team win since Big Ben left  . My issue is the OL , if I remember correctly the Steelers OL has been terrible for years . 

Edited by Commander202

With last week's loss, the 4-10 Washington Commanders are officially eliminated from playoff contention, and a new era in Washington may be just a few weeks away.

The belief in league circles has been that new Commanders managing partner Josh Harris will part ways with head coach Ron Rivera after the season. And because Rivera leads football operations with the team, Harris could ultimately reshape the structure of the organization that could potentially see GM Martin Mayhew on his way out.

If that's the case, and if Washington begins a search for a new general manager who would be hired before the head coach, sources tell CBS Sports to pay attention to any Philadelphia connections when it comes to leading the personnel department in Washington.

To be sure, having or not having Philly ties is hardly (dis)qualifying for any candidate. That would just be one aspect of a candidate search.

Harris officially purchased the Commanders in July after more than a decade as the managing partner of the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers. In that time he's grown a mutual professional respect for Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and general manager Howie Roseman.

The Eagles have gone to two Super Bowls in the previous five seasons, and Roseman has turned out an impressive group of personnel in recent years. Current Eagles staffers include:

• Assistant general manager Alec Halaby. The Harvard grad has spent his entire career with the Eagles and has been crucial helping develop analytical models.
  • Vice president of football administration Jake Rosenberg. The Penn grad works as Roseman's right hand and has a background as a commodities trader.
  • Director of football operations Jeff Scott. He has Washington ties with the organization for nearly a decade before joining the Eagles in 2021 as a senior pro scout.
  • Director of player personnel Charles Walls. He joined the Eagles last year after scouting for both the Browns and Packers.
  • Director of scouting Brandon Hunt. Before coming to Philly last year he was in the running to be the next Steelers general manager.

But it's not only those who currently have their checks signed by Lurie who could be of interest to Harris.

Browns general manager Andrew Berry spent 2019 as the Eagles VP of football operations. Under him in Cleveland is AGM/VP of player personnel Glenn Cook, who's interviewed for multiple GM roles in recent years, and AGM/VP of football operations Catherine Raiche, who worked under Roseman in Philly for four years before going to Cleveland.

Bears AGM Ian Cunningham, who last year turned down the Cardinals GM job, worked under Roseman for five years, most recently in 2021 as the director of player personnel. And Giants AGM Brandon Brown was with the Eagles for five seasons as well, leaving as the director of player personnel. Lastly, Steelers AGM Andy Weidl spent six years with the Eagles before going to Pittsburgh in 2023.

Any, some or all of those names could get an interview in Washington next month. But whether you worked in Philadelphia, or have a relative there, or even if you've never eaten a cheesesteak before, that's not going to earn you the job.

There are plenty of candidates who never had a Philadelphia zip code who could be in the mix. And there are internal candidates to be considered as well. Two-time former Panthers GM Marty Hurney is currently an executive vice president with the Commanders, and Eric Stokes is in his third season as senior director of player personnel.

Sources believe being "analytics-literate" will be a requirement in Washington, which recently hired Eugene Shen as the SVP of football strategy and who figures to be involved in the process at some level.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do like Stokes but I would rather we go outside the organization.  I really like Hortiz, 1st and Cunnningham 2nd.  Either one works for me.  :)  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2023-12-23 at 10.54.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-23 at 10.55.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-23 at 10.55.56 AM.png

Thanks for posting this info, SIP.  Out of that list, Smith, MacDonald and Slowick.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Apparently talented offensive coordinator of the Lions Ben Johnson is asking for 15 million dollars a year to be someone's head coach. Is that outrageous for someone with zero head coaching experience?? 

Apparently not.  See HigSkin's post at top of page 33 in this thread.  Johnson's agent stated this is 100% false and irresponsible reporting.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With last week's loss, the 4-10 Washington Commanders are officially eliminated from playoff contention, and a new era in Washington may be just a few weeks away.

The belief in league circles has been that new Commanders managing partner Josh Harris will part ways with head coach Ron Rivera after the season. And because Rivera leads football operations with the team, Harris could ultimately reshape the structure of the organization that could potentially see GM Martin Mayhew on his way out.

If that's the case, and if Washington begins a search for a new general manager who would be hired before the head coach, sources tell CBS Sports to pay attention to any Philadelphia connections when it comes to leading the personnel department in Washington.

To be sure, having or not having Philly ties is hardly (dis)qualifying for any candidate. That would just be one aspect of a candidate search.

Harris officially purchased the Commanders in July after more than a decade as the managing partner of the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers. In that time he's grown a mutual professional respect for Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and general manager Howie Roseman.

The Eagles have gone to two Super Bowls in the previous five seasons, and Roseman has turned out an impressive group of personnel in recent years. Current Eagles staffers include:

• Assistant general manager Alec Halaby. The Harvard grad has spent his entire career with the Eagles and has been crucial helping develop analytical models.
  • Vice president of football administration Jake Rosenberg. The Penn grad works as Roseman's right hand and has a background as a commodities trader.
  • Director of football operations Jeff Scott. He has Washington ties with the organization for nearly a decade before joining the Eagles in 2021 as a senior pro scout.
  • Director of player personnel Charles Walls. He joined the Eagles last year after scouting for both the Browns and Packers.
  • Director of scouting Brandon Hunt. Before coming to Philly last year he was in the running to be the next Steelers general manager.

But it's not only those who currently have their checks signed by Lurie who could be of interest to Harris.

Browns general manager Andrew Berry spent 2019 as the Eagles VP of football operations. Under him in Cleveland is AGM/VP of player personnel Glenn Cook, who's interviewed for multiple GM roles in recent years, and AGM/VP of football operations Catherine Raiche, who worked under Roseman in Philly for four years before going to Cleveland.

Bears AGM Ian Cunningham, who last year turned down the Cardinals GM job, worked under Roseman for five years, most recently in 2021 as the director of player personnel. And Giants AGM Brandon Brown was with the Eagles for five seasons as well, leaving as the director of player personnel. Lastly, Steelers AGM Andy Weidl spent six years with the Eagles before going to Pittsburgh in 2023.

Any, some or all of those names could get an interview in Washington next month. But whether you worked in Philadelphia, or have a relative there, or even if you've never eaten a cheesesteak before, that's not going to earn you the job.

There are plenty of candidates who never had a Philadelphia zip code who could be in the mix. And there are internal candidates to be considered as well. Two-time former Panthers GM Marty Hurney is currently an executive vice president with the Commanders, and Eric Stokes is in his third season as senior director of player personnel.

Sources believe being "analytics-literate" will be a requirement in Washington, which recently hired Eugene Shen as the SVP of football strategy and who figures to be involved in the process at some level.

Stokes is a good dude, but I want absolutely no one in this organization to be the GM.  We need an enema as bad as an organization could need one.  Not a partial one, but an entire cleaning.  

Fresh GM from a winning organization.  I'm down with Horitz, Cunningham, or Peters (who is my personal favorite my a country mile).  If the new GM wants to keep Stokes around, that's totally fine.  Hurney adds next to nothing to this organization though and needs to be thrown out along with Ron and Martin, IMHO.  

NEW BLOOD!!!!

2 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

I don’t mind Mike Tomlin but not for draft picks . Hire a GM and see what he wants to do , if we go retread we might as well go try and get Harbough . 

No thanks to Tomlin.  His best days are behind him and he hasn't done squat in a decade.  We need fresh blood, not a retread.  Personally, I like Tomlin and respect the heck out of him, but I think he's overrated.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

If somehow Todd Bowles gets canned, I would love him to come home and be our new DC.

I think they are winning the South. Dave Canales has Baker cooking

I think Eberfluss is the top guy to go after. Testament to him that his team did not quit on him and he is getting a lot out of his talent since they got Sweat. Gruden was saying if he were looking to get a DC, Eberfluss would be the top guy he’d go after

Edited by method man