Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - Week 7 - The Commanders @ The Giants

zCommander

7 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Actually, this makes perfect sense to me.  

1. Giants own Washington.  

2. Giants played the Bills doubly tough IN Buffalo.   

3. Washington needed Ridder to literally throw the game away with no less than 3 horrific INTs. in order to win, and Atlanta isn't exactly a good team.  

4. Washington got taken behind the woodshed by the lowly Chicago Bears on national tv IN Washington.  

5. In YEAR 4 of the never-ending torture that is the Rivera error, Washington remains a Jekyll and Hyde team that has all but wasted its plethora of highly valued resources on defense; you cannot trust them one iota.

If this guy had paid attention, there's no way he could possibly be outraged.  Frankly, I find it a bit amazing that more people didn't pick the Giants.   

I agree with this 100 percent. We got smacked by the bears and bills. Barely beat the cardinals, broncos, and falcons. Daniels Jones is 5-1-1 against us with 10 TD vs 3 INT with an almost 70 percent completion percentage, 98 rating. We expect to get national respect?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

You just know he'll have 4TD and 300+ yard passing game against us AND find a way to beat us with his legs.

He hasn't yet (at least not against Rivera)...not sure why he would this time.

What usually happens is he plays mediocre, scores 20 points, and they win because we suck against them.

He never unleashes some offensive onslaught that leads to wins. He only came close to doing that once...and that's the game he lost lol...

• Like 2

Well here we are again.  Going up against a bad team that is injured all over the place, good chance a back up will be starting.  It's "prove it" game infinity for the team that wants the world to give them respect.  

Should the Commanders win?  If they are close to the team we think they are yes.   

I've given up expecting the team to win these types of games.  If anything, the fact that this isn't on prime time and not getting much media attention despite being a division rivalry game, I think actually bodes better for our team.

Ah, what the hell I've been suckered back in........

Commanders 27

Giants 17

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

Actually, this makes perfect sense to me.  

1. Giants own Washington.  

2. Giants played the Bills doubly tough IN Buffalo.   

3. Washington needed Ridder to literally throw the game away with no less than 3 horrific INTs. in order to win, and Atlanta isn't exactly a good team.  

4. Washington got taken behind the woodshed by the lowly Chicago Bears on national tv IN Washington.  

5. In YEAR 4 of the never-ending torture that is the Rivera error, Washington remains a Jekyll and Hyde team that has all but wasted its plethora of highly valued resources on defense; you cannot trust them one iota.

If this guy had paid attention, there's no way he could possibly be outraged.  Frankly, I find it a bit amazing that more people didn't pick the Giants.   

1. Under Rivera the Giants don't "own" Washington...they are 3-2-1.

2. "They played (fill in the blank) really tough" is lazy analysis. Remember when we took the undefeated SB-contending Eagles to overtime, IN Philly? What happened the next week? Yeah.

3. Ridder was playing as well as--if not better than--Jones or Taylor before playing against us.

4. Jones hasn't scored a TD in 5 weeks, and the entire Giants' offense has scored a grand total of one TD in the last 4 weeks...and that was due primarily to 2 big penalties against the 49ers. Their offense traveled a grand total of 15 yards to score that TD.

5. It's wild how Washington is a Jekyll and Hyde team, but the Giants--who by any measurable analysis is strictly a "Hyde" team--should obviously be picked to beat them.

The reality is, you're scared. That's it. Nothing more.

There's no objective analysis that makes anyone reach the conclusion that the Giants should be picked to beat the Commanders. It's just fans being scared. And that's OK, fans are allowed to be scared...this team hasn't shown itself to be consistent enough yet to alleviate any worries or concerns against any opponent. But "experts" aren't supposed to use fan logic.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

There's no objective analysis that makes anyone reach the conclusion that the Giants should be picked to beat the Commanders. It's just fans being scared. And that's OK, fans are allowed to be scared...this team hasn't shown itself to be consistent enough yet to alleviate any worries or concerns against any opponent. But "experts" aren't supposed to use fan logic.

True.  Ron's 2-3 record against the Giants is a high water mark.  Going back just a littlle further Giants won 6 out the last 8 including that 2-3 run in that mix. 

Jay probably had the best run against them, not for his whole tenure, but mid tenure he did OK against them.

The weird thing about the Giants it doesn't seem to matter how awful they are, they still often play well against this team while playing awful against Dallas-Philly.

I think the scary thing is the lack of consistency under Ron.  Granted sometimes it does manifest in winning streaks or losing streaks.   But it never feels like its a winning team because it feels like the winning will end with a bad thump.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

1. Under Rivera the Giants don't "own" Washington...they are 3-2-1.

2. "They played (fill in the blank) really tough" is lazy analysis. Remember when we took the undefeated SB-contending Eagles to overtime, IN Philly? What happened the next week? Yeah.

3. Ridder was playing as well as--if not better than--Jones or Taylor before playing against us.

4. Jones hasn't scored a TD in 5 weeks, and the entire Giants' offense has scored a grand total of one TD in the last 4 weeks...and that was due primarily to 2 big penalties against the 49ers. Their offense traveled a grand total of 15 yards to score that TD.

5. It's wild how Washington is a Jekyll and Hyde team, but the Giants--who by any measurable analysis is strictly a "Hyde" team--should obviously be picked to beat them.

The reality is, you're scared. That's it. Nothing more.

Okay..."scared"?   😂  Yeah.  No.  I'll give you a pass on such a declarative statement because you don't know me; you couldn't be more off with this comment, however.  

You actually have to be emotionally invested as a fan to feel scared or pumped.  I haven't been emotionally invested in this organization since the RGIII thing went bottom up.   I'm firmly (and regrettably) in the lap of apathy in the here and now.  But...getting Rivera and his regime out of here at the end of the season will go a long, long way to getting me significantly more invested.  I'm hoping that happens.  I would give just about anything to be so emotionally invested again in this team that I can actually get "scared" going into a game.   It's a wonderful place to be in.  And, if you're in such a place, I envy you. 

You took the time to address my points, so let me respectfully offer / clarify my points:

1.  Giants always find a way to beat us when it counts.  I'll concede at a 3-2-1 ratio, "Own" is too strong a word (even if it seems that way!).  But no one can argue that the G men don't win more often than we do, even when it seems we should absolutely win. 

2.  You're basically saying that because the Skins can't carry over momentum worth a crap from one big game to the next under Ron Rivera that the Giants can't do that either under a completely different Head Coach, whom happens to be the reigning Coach of the Year.  That just doesn't make sense.  They are an entirely different team / organization than we are.  

What I was saying with that comment is that because they played Buffalo so strongly on the road, there's legit reason to conclude that they could bring a good bit of momentum into our game, which they play at home against a division opponent.  I see no reason to see this conclusion as anything but possible and logical.  Now, maybe they don't.  Maybe their Buffalo game proves to be their Philly game that we had last year.  But they really haven't been in this position yet under their new coaches to conclude it is just a mirage like our game was.  There's simply not enough games accrued under Daboll to just ignore such a thing.

3.  I don't really care how Ridder was playing against teams before he played us.  The entire point was that fact that Atlanta isn't some great team (no one would argue they are), and Ridder didn't play well against us, especially in the second half.  Our guys didn't make some great plays on the ball to come up with those interceptions - those balls came right to them.  And even then we still nearly lost the game. 

4.   It's a division game.  It really doesn't matter how the Giants were playing against anyone else.  If you've watched enough football, then you know to throw that kind of stuff out when paying a division opponent.  Especially an opponent that gets the better of the Skins more often than not.  Jones always has his career games against the Skins and looks mediocre or worse against the majority of the rest of the league.  That's just a fact.  

Maybe Jones doesn't play.  But there's no reason to conclude that their backup can't beat us.  He looked good against Buffalo, is very mobil and isn't exactly a scrub.  Besides, if there was ever an organization that brings forth career games out of backups and rookie QBs of the opponent, it's us.  Under every coach for the past 20+ years.  How many times over the years have we faced a team that is struggling in every facet only for that team to look like a solid contender against us...then come crashing back down to earth the next week?  Hell, the Falcons had a total of five sacks headed into our game...where they racked up five sacks, just as a small example. 

5.  I don't think I'm being obtuse (and certainly not "scared") when I asses the following facts to conclude that it makes sense for the Giants to be favored by a few points this Sunday when I look at the reality that they:

A. Win more against us than we do against them

B. Are playing at home

C. Are coming off an impressive performance against a strong contender on the road (that may very well turn out to be an aberration or possibly the start of consistent solid play under last  year's Coach of the Year)

D. Are playing a division opponent that they know very well

What in those points makes you so upset that the Giants are favored in a home game?  I don't mean that in a combative way; I'm genuinely curious why that irks you so much.   I'd think if we were playing at home against them this week, we'd be favored.  Does it mean the Giants are going to win?  Heck no.  But you admitted what the rest of the world knows about the Skins being a Jekyll and Hyde team: we have zero idea under Ron which team will show up. Daboll on the other hand hasn't been the Giants' coach nearly long enough to establish such a rock solid precedent. So why would you be floored that we're not picked to win by enough people to your liking?  

Every year, I'm just genuinely perplexed by football fans of various perennially mediocre teams getting upset when their team isn't favored to win a game they feel we should.  It's like they feel there's a vendetta from the media against them or something.  (When it comes to the Skins, the media and their negative takes are vindicated way too often, unfortunately.  I believe in time, Harris will change this.)  When, in actuality, we've not earned a freaking ounce of benefit of the doubt under this coach (or over the past 25+ years).  Maybe we do end up earning that trust but we have to set our own precedent for that first.  This Sunday and a then a win against the Eagles would go a long way to establishing this.  Heck, it's Year 4.  Past time for this to happen, frankly.

Personally, I don't give a crap what the media says about the Skins or how much they do or don't talk about us on various sports shows, etc.  I haven't cared about that side of sports since I was in high school; I just want to see a great regime put in place by Harris and the start of consistent, high-quality play by this organization.  Let us be picked against for the rest of time by the pundits...as long as we win then it's all hot air anyway, right?

Sorry for such a long reply, but I felt it was the respectful thing to do since you took the time to write your counterpoints.  I don't really feel there's much more to offer on this point, so I'll leave it here.  If you still feel the same in your takes, hey, all respect.  Maybe the Skins win and the victory is that much sweeter in light of not enough people picking them to your liking.  Hopefully you're hoisting a victory drink of your choosing by 4pm on Sunday.   👍

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1

Its perfectly reasonable to assume the worst against the Giants. That's usually what ends up happening. They are a dog doo doo franchise over the last ~12 years but always seem to get their guys up to beat us.

I would love nothing more than to beat the ever living crap out of them but we just don't have the personnel or the mindset in our players/coaches to be honest.

Giants are 1-5 and aren't dead yet.  They always get up for these games vs  the Commanders because their history vs this team.  Wouldn't surprise me if the Giants play like they did vs the Bills and with this defense playing like they are, this game will probably be close.  Either team has a chance  

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, So I've been negative on our running game all year but looking at the stats BRob has been above 3 YPC all in every game except the Chicago game where he only had 6 carries. Now, he couldn't run it at the end of the Atlanta game but thats a difficult thing to do when they expect you to run the ball and they're doing all they can to stop you from running it. You could see EB trying to be tricky there because he was calling pass plays as well (I mean there were 5 minutes left) but there was some good defense by the Falcons there and I think some indecisiveness by Howell. And I think we weren't really trying to score as much as not mess up and that's part of it too because he didn't want to make an errant throw that leads to a pic 6 so he'd rather take a sack. 

That said, I think the ATL game was just a weird game. We had so many short fields that we didn't get to establish our offense. We did our thing in the first half but from the 2 min drive at the end of the first half when they got those sacks, yeah that TD helped, but it was only 2 plays. All of a sudden we're up 24-10 and have done little on offense. 

Fast forward to Giants game and I think the opposite. I think that Howell has emerged as the guy in this offense. Teams are coming in prepared to stop him. So hopefully, running lanes will open up for BRob in the Giants game and over the next 11 games (give or take one or 2) and he may have his first 120+ yard game in his career in a physical smash mouth NFC east style game.

@Redwards

If you don’t like “scared” how about “cynical”? lol…

1) “When it counts”…assuming “counts” means “with something immediately important to playoffs on the line,” how often has this franchise had games that “counted” against the Giants over the last 10 years? Or against anybody for that matter? lol…Just going off my admittedly-faulty memory, in 2012 we did—and won. In 2015 we did—and won. In 2016 we did—and lost (thanks Kirk! lol 🤬). In 2022 we did—and tied. And in 2022 we did again—and lost. 

2. When did the Giants carry over a strong performance this season into the next week? And I was saying ANY mediocre-to-bad team that has a strong “moral victory” performance against a team significantly better than they are shouldn’t be expected to carry it over i to the next game…not just the Commanders. If mediocre/bad teams could carry over strong performances from one week to the next, they wouldn’t be bad teams lol…And guess what: the Giants are mediocre-to-bad this year. Hell, the Giants haven’t even been able to carry over any momentum and success from last year lol…And, yes, it’s lazy to use that as an argument as to why they should be picked to win. Not to mention, usually people say games like the Giants/Bills are “trap games”…as well as the Bills did lose to the Jets. They can play down to their competition.

3. You should…we’re facing the same level of QB on the same level (or worse) team. I’m not sure what the Giants have done this year to convince you they’re obviously better than the Falcons.

4. “ It's a division game.  It really doesn't matter how the Giants were playing against anyone else”…umm lol…so why did you bring up how they played against the Bills, then? 

5.  Ahem:

A) Doesn’t matter. 
B ) What’s their home record this year?

C) See point 2 

D) If division games are up for grabs, then the same rationale applies to the Commanders that applies to the Giants. 

I am in no way saying we should win…Commanders aren’t good enough yet to think that. Good teams are consistently good, and we have no consistency. But I am saying there’s no logical reason the Giants should be favored. Can they be favored? Sure. As stated, we aren’t consistent enough to be reliable. But SHOULD they be favored? Hell, naw lol…an equally reasonable (I think even more reasonable) argument can be made why the Commanders should be favorited. But that didn’t seem possible from what you were saying earlier.

EDIT: and especially with all the injuries the Giants are dealing with…good lord. If anyone still thinks it’s a no-brainer that the Giants should be favored, that’s fan emotion talking. 

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
On my phone lol…I suck at using my phone for this.

34 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Man, if our front four can't make whoever the QB extremely uncomfortable this Sunday, I just don't know what to say. You'd be hard pressed to disagree with anyone who calls these guys overrated. 

Problem is both QBs can run and will probably have to and Barton cannot catch anyone.  Do we spy Davis or Curl?  Hope Del Taco has a plan to start fast for once and not on our heels.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We shut down the Falcons run game and their OL is better than the Giants.

Gotta put 9 in the box and let our CBs play man to man. If they can't handle the Giants garbage passing game with a backup QB then you gotta fire/cut people.

I think the defensive game plan will look very similar to the plan against Atlanta. Stop the run, play contain on the backside off play action and force Taylor or Jones to beat us from the pocket. Do not let them break contain. 

• Like 1

This game has to be a Offensive game, with all of the Giants OL hurting they are going to try and play the field position game, run it a lot and play solid defense.  If we do not score TDs and force them to throw the ball then our DL isn't going to be as affective.