Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hamas Attacks Against Israel

Fergasun

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I can't find it at the moment but I heard Biden stopped an ammo shipment to Israel. 

It's nor clear why they did that, imo, possibly a warning as it's becoming clear US is saying one thing in public and another in private to Israel.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/05/politics/war-israel-palestine-gaza-biden-weapons/index.html

CNN
 —
The Biden administration paused a shipment of US-made ammunition to Israel, according to a source familiar with the matter, who did not disclose why the decision was made. The hold is not connected to a potential Israeli operation in Rafah and doesn’t affect other shipments moving forward, the source said.

Asked about the paused shipment, a National Security Council spokesperson cited ongoing security assistance to Israel.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

For better or worse, the protest are causing disruption bringing further attention to the matter they are protesting.

Not everyone is tuned into what's going on in Gaza the way some of us are.  And protests are not meant to be convenient.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

For better or worse, the protest are causing disruption bringing further attention to the matter they are protesting.

Not everyone is tuned into what's going on in Gaza the way some of us are.  And protests are not meant to be convenient.

After tens of thousands of dollars and years of hard work, I'm denied one of the most important moments of my young life over something my college can't do a single thing about?

Yeah, no. There's no silver lining to this, lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 2

Al Jazeera is Qatari funded. Qatar and Israel broke off even informal relations after the 2008-2009 Gaza War.  No surprised Israel would kick them out, especially after the October 7 documentary highlighting some issues with the narratives.  

It's really hard for us in America/West to understand the Palestinian viewpoint.   Not just what we are exposed and biased towards non-violence and side with Israel.  But think about how angry it makes them to be kicked off their homeland and anyone else around the world who is Jewish can live on it.   But not them.  The people who have a thousand year claim on the land.  They probably can't understand why the world has largely ignored their plight and supported Israel.  And Israel keeps expanding settlements, and the world doesn't stop them, even though the settlements violate UN law.  Israel is recognized to be occupying power of West Bank and Gaza (even if they don't admit it).

One Arab vision I read was a single-state Jew and Arab state run under a secular democracy called "Palestine".  And if you have half a brain that makes you ask, "How will the Jews have security in the above state?  What about Jewish identity and self-determination?"  And there we have the rub and bump into Zionism and anti-Zionism.  And why the belief in a two-state solution. 

Both sides need to work to understand the other -- so hard to do with this long of a conflict.  I think I understand why Hamas fights and Palestinians have large support -- everything else has been fruitless and how much worse can it get?  When you feel non-violent means have exhausted redress... you resort to violence. 

Israel needs to give up their settlement project.  That's pretty much an instigation to violence.  I believe if Israel gives up their settlement project,  allows some Palestinians return rights, and a true second state with equal rights including movement and freedom -- it will lead to peace.  Why should they move first or take the biggest ask?  Because they are the stronger power here.  If every time an Israeli is killed, it's no thought to killed,  take out 10 to 20 Palestinians.  I know what they will say, "The Arabs will never stop fighting us." 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Skins24 said:

After tens of thousands of dollars and years of hard work, I'm denied one of the most important moments of my young life over something my college can't do a single thing about?

My Wife and I had our graduations canceled due to COVID.

We were going to get our Masters and walk at the same time in the same stage after getting married while still in grade Scholes together.

This same campus is not to far removed from something similar the whole country went through, pretty much every campus.

We survived that. They survived it as well.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skins24 said:

A few hundred thousand people in the military that miss births, funerals, and a million other things tell those kids to eat a bag of dicks.

• Thanks 2

Or you could blame the administrators for being a bunch of ****ies.  The protestors were pretty much in the 100s at one point.  Nationwide.  By mishandling them, they have grown. 

Other Universities have handled this better... see UMich... they just moved the protestors out of the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We were going to get our Masters and walk at the same time in the same stage after getting married while still in grade Scholes together.

This same campus is not to far removed from something similar the whole country went through, pretty much every campus.

Comparing foreign-funded professional leftist agitators dutifully spreading Hamas propaganda across a wide swath of the nation’s educational institutions to a once-in-a-millennium viral pandemic is a little bit too on the nose, even for me.

But I’ll allow it.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

They could collectively take a literal **** in a park and cause a tremendous disturbance and inconvenience, would we argue this a success? It would certainly meet the standard of disruption. When people complain that they can no longer use the park, as it is now a toilet, would we accept “protests are not meant to be convenient” as a reasonable answer?

The issue I have with these protests is how disconnected they are from reality. These campuses have no influence on the conflict. No power to change anything that will matter. The demand that college divest, when their arguable investments are minor to begin with, feels like the flimsiest of rationals for doing this.

Rather than target those institutions that can make these decisions they’ve, metaphorically, chosen to take a **** in a park. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Classic America. Demonize the protestors while doing the best to ignore the issues as to why they're protesting. Good times. 🙄

Protestors are making it too easy. They’re protesting the wrong organizations and rather than consistently demanding peace, a large number of them seem more upset by who is winning. No way to know how many that represents. Are they peace protestors, or are they in line with Hamas’ goals of destroying Israel. That depends on who you ask, and that is a messaging problem. 

this movement seems to be well funded but lacks clarity of purpose. It clearly has national level organization but lacks visible national leadership. Students claim to want schools to divest, but how many of us can say that we know exactly what those investments are? Why don’t we? If that’s what they’re using for justification shouldn’t that be in the forefront? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Politico doing nothing to dispel the George Soros boogeyman that the conservatives love to bring up.  

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/05/pro-palestinian-protests-columbia-university-funding-donors-00156135

Shouldn’t surprise anyone that campus mega-lefty anarchists are helping themselves to donations meant to provide funding for progressive causes.  Infestation and corruption of legitimate, uplifting protests is their whole process and it will never change.

What should surprise folks is how thoroughly Arab money has infiltrated western higher education.  Billions upon billions detailed in this article and that’s just from Qatar.  They even laid a couple hundred Mill on a Richmond art school that doesn’t even have a football team!

https://aish.com/arab-states-funding-american-colleges/

52 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

45 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

A few hundred thousand people in the military that miss births, funerals, and a million other things tell those kids to eat a bag of dicks.

Ok?

But...how does anything of this change 'not having a graduation because people are protesting over something the college can't do a single thing about' is not a good thing narrative?

Yeah of course they'll survive, and it may not be a big deal to some, that's not the point. To others, it IS a big deal. It's a huge deal. You can't just be dismissive of those to whom it is a big deal...

Sheesh, have a heart!

11 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Shouldn’t surprise anyone that campus mega-lefty anarchists are helping themselves to donations meant to provide funding for progressive causes.  Infestation and corruption of legitimate, uplifting protests is their whole process and it will never change.

What should surprise folks is how thoroughly Arab money has infiltrated western higher education.  Billions upon billions detailed in this article and that’s just from Qatar.  They even laid a couple hundred Mill on a Richmond art school that doesn’t even have a football team!

https://aish.com/arab-states-funding-american-colleges/

What are they buying is a good question. The new CEO of NPR has a degree, as you’d expect, in a relevant field to radio and journalism: Arab and Islamic studies from NYU. The same NYU that’s being reported to having received massive amounts of funding from the Arab world over the last 30 years. What our prestigious universities teach to tomorrow’s leaders is not a trivial issue. Especially if universities are listing their programs for sale to foreign money.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skins24 said:

Ok?

But...how does anything of this change 'not having a graduation because people are protesting over something the college can't do a single thing about' is not a good thing narrative?

Yeah of course they'll survive, and it may not be a big deal to some, that's not the point. To others, it IS a big deal. It's a huge deal. You can't just be dismissive of those to whom it is a big deal...

Sheesh, have a heart!

Yeah, I don't get the "I missed a graduation so boo ****ing hoo" aspect of it.  

46 minutes ago, Destino said:

Protestors are making it too easy. They’re protesting the wrong organizations and rather than consistently demanding peace, a large number of them seem more upset by who is winning. No way to know how many that represents. Are they peace protestors, or are they in line with Hamas’ goals of destroying Israel. That depends on who you ask, and that is a messaging problem. 

this movement seems to be well funded but lacks clarity of purpose. It clearly has national level organization but lacks visible national leadership. Students claim to want schools to divest, but how many of us can say that we know exactly what those investments are? Why don’t we? If that’s what they’re using for justification shouldn’t that be in the forefront? 

33 minutes ago, Skins24 said:

Ok?

Sheesh, have a heart!

Every page in this thread since these protests on campuses started have marginalized them as individuals and impact.

I can't with a straight face pretend I didn't get many of the rights I have right now from civil disobedience, incovinence, or outright distruption.

The core of this matter, especially concerning young people, has been where our country's money is going versus where it should or could be going.

Making the case to stop individual campuses from dealing monetarily with Israel as it may in some way contribute to this war is not surprising and understandable in the middle of a *checks notes* student debt crisis.

One of things I notice in Columbia's demands was to stop dealing with the university system in Tel Aviv and prevent the building of a larger center in Israel...where is that money coming from?

https://globalcenters.columbia.edu/tel-aviv

We can send billions to Israel but its like pulling teeth to address the costs of their own college education or healthcare because it costs too much?

Do you want young people to be more politically active or not?  Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

• Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, I don't get the "I missed a graduation so boo ****ing hoo" aspect of it.  

Do you think the people who had their college life disrupted during Vietnam protests during the 60s and 70s want to hear these millennials **** and moan???? *end sarcasm* 

• Haha 3