Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

24 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Fields weapons and OL were mediocre at best. Closer to bordering on terrible. His OC wasn't much better.  Add in some injuries and viola Chicago fleeced the top pick.  Don't let that them landing that top pick effect grading Fields.  I think the jury is out on him but he has showed flashes and improvement. He destroyed us. Embarrassed JDR and our D ~as good as any other QBs we faced. If not better. The thursday night massacre would have been worse if Mooney didnt drop some deep wide open perfect throws.

Yep, I agree with your take. I think Fields, in the right offense with good coaching could be comparable to Lamar Jackson given a commitment to the running game and a great TE. I'll bet DJ Moore is thrilled with Fields (96 rec, 1364 yds, 8 TD) and so is Kmet. Fields is improving and I think the Bears may end up sticking with him while maybe going QB with one of their other draft picks after they take MHJ and another stud in round 1. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Skipping a good QB draft just to give yourself an opportunity to move up in an unknown QB quality draft is silly.

We have our pick of quality candidates. You can't ask for much more than that.

And just because you WANT to move up, it kind of requires another team be willing to move down. If an awesome QB comes out next year, and a team that is desperate for a franchise guy has the 1st pick, they aren't going to trade it. So passing on a guy you can get now top 2 has 0 guarantee you can get a QB in future years just because you have more picks.

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

It wasn't my intent honestly, just that the post was all about the strategy of having the first and second picks in the second round being more valuable and we don't have the second pick and wanted to let them know that.

If It came of snarky it was unintentional.

If my post came off like I was serious it was unintentional.😄

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Fields weapons and OL were mediocre at best. Closer to bordering on terrible. His OC wasn't much better.  Add in some injuries and viola Chicago fleeced the top pick.  Don't let that them landing that top pick effect grading Fields.  I think the jury is out on him but he has showed flashes and improvement. He destroyed us. Embarrassed JDR and our D ~as good as any other QBs we faced. If not better. The thursday night massacre would have been worse if Mooney didnt drop some deep wide open perfect throws.

The top pick is from Carolina, not Chicago 

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Yep, I agree with your take. I think Fields, in the right offense with good coaching could be comparable to Lamar Jackson given a commitment to the running game and a great TE. I'll bet DJ Moore is thrilled with Fields (96 rec, 1364 yds, 8 TD) and so is Kmet. Fields is improving and I think the Bears may end up sticking with him while maybe going QB with one of their other draft picks after they take MHJ and another stud in round 1. 

Couldn't the same be said about Sam too?  No OL, no real TE but more WRs though an OC that never ran the ball and got him clobbered weekly so do we even know what we truly have?   Granted with the 2nd pick, it's almost like you have to go QB if the draftniks are current and both Caleb and Drake are aligned with better prospects in recent years.  Obvi its up to the new brass and if we get one of the top guys we are going after in both gm and hc, I'd trust them way over the regimes under Snyder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

We're 200+ pages into this thread,  and this point is still needing to be reiterated. 

To people who are extremely overly confident in their read on every situation. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Skipping a good QB draft just to give yourself an opportunity to move up in an unknown QB quality draft is silly.

Let alone a QB draft next year that for the moment feels "meh".

Also usually teams don't oblige and cooperate with you trading up for the top perceived QB in those drafts.  Often not #2 either.  So if you don't get there organically, you are typically trading up for the third-4th best QB.  So for the moment that means we are trading up for someone like Carson Beck who would likely be like the 7th best QB in this draft. 

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Bears are clearly shopping that #1 pick already.

Will see.  Their GM already said they'd have to consider a QB because its a "unique opporunity".  That's more concrete than I expected this early.

Typically the dance is you make it feel like you can do either thing -- take a QB or keep your QB but keeping your QB is very tempting.  That's how the Cardinals played the Josh Rosen-Kyler Murray dance.  

This team tends to devalue the assets before they trade them.  But most smart teams do the opposite.  It behooves them to start leaking that they are torn because of how much they love Fields just like the Cards did with Rosen.

The Bears reporters, the ones I've listened to mostly think they are going to take a QB at #1 and expressed that Fields emergence was overplayed at the end of the season, that it was more about their defense.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Not just that, procrastinating for a year on starting the rebuild burns a year of the very short grace period new regimes get to develop their QBs, before the expectation becomes win or you're fired.

We've been gifted a golden opportunity to start building the right way, for the first time in my lifetime, and there are actually people that want to throw it away?  Blue chip QB prospect in the first year of a new regime is the dream.

We're gonna take the blue chip QB at #2, it's probably going to be Drake Maye, and it is 100% the correct decision.  And for the first time in a long time, I'm starting to see a path to genuine prosperity.  I see a bright, hungry young coach getting hired, not some retread who is going to shortcut everything and check out quickly.  I see a true GM getting hired to be a team builder.  I see the most exciting QB prospect in 12 years being brought in here, only without us having to sell the farm to do it.  I see winning by year two and the fans coming back in.  And I see a brand new state of the art stadium being built in DC and making us one of the proud showcase franchises of the NFL.  I see us truly competing with the big boys and making real money.  The NFL has been dying for a premier franchise to take its place in DC, with backdrops of the Potomac and National Mall behind an ultra modern stadium, with a premier team in town playing impactful Monday Night duels against the Chicagos and Green Bays and LAs of the league.  That's the show they want to present, and that's in front of us now.  We just have to follow the path that the football gods put in front of us.

Edited by Going Commando
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Not just that, procrastinating for a year on stating the rebuild burns a year of the very short grace period new regimes get to develop their QBs, before the expectation becomes win or you're fired.

We've been gifted a golden opportunity to start building the right way, for the first time in my lifetime, and there are actually people that want to throw it away?  Blue chip QB prospect in the first year of a new regime is the dream.

We're gonna take the blue chip QB at #2, it's probably going to be Drake Maye, and it is 100% the correct decision.  And for the first time in a long time, I'm starting to see a path to genuine prosperity.  I see a bright, hungry young coach getting hired, not some retread who is going to shortcut everything and check out quickly.  I see a true GM getting hired to be a team builder.  I see the most exciting QB prospect in 12 years being brought in here, only without us having to sell the farm to do it.  I see winning by year two and the fans coming back in.  And I see a brand new state of the art stadium being built in DC to be make us one of the proud showcase franchises of the NFL.  I see us truly competing with the big boys and making real money.  The NFL has been dying for a premier franchise to take its place in DC, with backdrops of the Potomac and National Mall behind an ultra modern stadium, with a premier team in town playing impactful Monday Night duels against the Chicagos and Green Bays and LAs of the league.  That's the show they want to present, and that's in front of us now.  We just have to follow the path that the football gods put in front of us.

I also think that the concern about putting a rookie QB in a system that is dearth of talent will hurt the rookie doesn't have to be true. This does not have to be so with a competent HC and OC that know not only the limitations of a rookie QB but also the limitations of the the talent that surround him, can scheme and game plan to minimize this, something the previous staff did not do very well for Howell. We also have cap space and draft capital that can help shore up that talent going into the season. Wont be fixed in one draft and free agency but Im very optimistic that the new staff will pull it off.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Not just that, procrastinating for a year on starting the rebuild burns a year of the very short grace period new regimes get to develop their QBs, before the expectation becomes win or you're fired.

We're gonna take the blue chip QB at #2, it's probably going to be Drake Maye, and it is 100% the correct decision.  And for the first time in a long time, I'm starting to see a path to genuine prosperity.  I see a bright, hungry young coach getting hired, not some retread who is going to shortcut everything and check out quickly.  I see a true GM getting hired to be a team builder.  I see the most exciting QB prospect in 12 years being brought in here, only without us having to sell the farm to do it.  I see winning by year two and the fans coming back in.  And I see a brand new state of the art stadium being built in DC and making us one of the proud showcase franchises of the NFL.  I see us truly competing with the big boys and making real money.  The NFL has been dying for a premier franchise to take its place in DC, with backdrops of the Potomac and National Mall behind an ultra modern stadium, with a premier team in town playing impactful Monday Night duels against the Chicagos and Green Bays and LAs of the league.  That's the show they want to present, and that's in front of us now.  We just have to follow the path that the football gods put in front of us.

Well put.  New coach.  New Gm.  New QB.  A restart with a 5 year cheapish QB.  And this is happening in a strong not weak QB draft.  All the stars are aligned.

While its a bit hyperbole below from Hasselbeck -- Maye has been hyped for years as a special prospect.    I couldn't even entertain the idea of Caleb or Maye earlier this season because it seemed too outlandish and who would trade out of a top 2 pick with those 2 in the mix?  Now, we are actually here, I thinks it crazy to trade out of the lottery ticket. 

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I also think that the concern about putting a rookie QB in a system that is dearth of talent will hurt the rookie doesn't have to be true. This does not have to be so with a competent HC and OC that know not only the limitations of a rookie QB but also the limitations of the the talent that surround him, can scheme and game plan to minimize this, something the previous staff did not do very well for Howell. We also have cap space and draft capital that can help shore up that talent going into the season. Wont be fixed in one draft and free agency but Im very optimistic that the new staff will pull it off.

Agree.

We got the most combined draft and cap capital yet some are acting like the first pick is the be all and end all to fill in the gaps in the roster.  What's the point of amassing draft capital and cap space if it means nothing?

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't matter where a team's pick came from. Regardless anyone that truly cares, knows 1OA was Carolina's. But it doesn't change anything here. Our 2nd 2nd is from Chicago. What if it wasn't from Chicago. Its still our pick for all intensive purposes.

If Chicago's new OC wants a tall QB Fields fits the bill of course. Caleb listed at 6'1 lets be real could be closer to 6 flat. Meh. Does Chicago want a timing based or complex offense? Coming from a simple offense... RG3 alert aka learning curve alert. The green grass of other fields are rarely greener and usually painted green dirt plastic now actually. Chicago will get a kings ransom by trading out and if someone grossly overpays that makes it easy for them. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they see QB regression swapping to the new shiny QB.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

giphy(9).gif.501551795e0255fad4da93d84129c451.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It doesn't matter where a team's pick came from. Regardless anyone that truly cares, knows 1OA was Carolina's. But it doesn't change anything here. Our 2nd 2nd is from Chicago. What if it wasn't from Chicago. Its still our pick for all intensive purposes.

If Chicago's new OC wants a tall QB Fields fits the bill of course. Caleb listed at 6'1 lets be real could be closer to 6 flat. Meh. Does Chicago want a timing based or complex offense? Coming from a simple offense... RG3 alert aka learning curve alert. The green grass of other fields are rarely greener and usually painted green dirt plastic now actually. Chicago will get a kings ransom by trading out and if someone grossly overpays that makes it easy for them. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they see QB regression swapping to the new shiny QB.

I have this feeling that leading up to the draft Maye will move past CW on a lot of boards.

• Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well put.  New coach.  New Gm.  New QB.  A restart with a 5 year cheapish QB.  And this is happening in a strong not weak QB draft.  All the stars are aligned.

They certainly did.  I'm convinced that the people who actually seem to want us to puke this opportunity away don't really watch the rest of the league to see how great the NFL show can be.  There is nothing better in major revenue pro sports than two strong NFL teams built around brilliant QBs battling for playoff seeding or advancement in a primetime game.  We can finally be a part of that.  We're looking at a future where we'll be battling with Chicago and Green Bay for the NFC crown in the way that KC, Buffalo, Baltimore, and Cincy do for the AFC now.  We've just got to start by doing the obvious things: hire an ambitious and talented GM, hire a smart young coach, and pick Drake Maye.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

They certainly did.  I'm convinced that the people who actually seem to want us to puke this opportunity away don't really watch the rest of the league to see how great the NFL show can be.  There is nothing better in major revenue pro sports than two strong NFL teams built around brilliant QBs battling for playoff seeding or advancement in a primetime game.  We can finally be a part of that.  We're looking at a future where we'll be battling with Chicago and Green Bay for the NFC crown in the way that KC, Buffalo, Baltimore, and Cincy do for the AFC now.  We've just got to start by doing the obvious things: hire an ambitious and talented GM, hire a smart young coach, and pick Drake Maye.

Yeah exactly.  It gives you a chance in the playoffs.  A real to chance at a SB.  And I think beyond that it helps a franchise starving to regain their fan base. 

I've talked about this on other threads which is seeing football from the perspective of my kids, especially my son who is now a teenager.  He loves playing Madden and like other kids he's especially hooked on the star QBs.  It's taken work from me to ensure he didn't for example move to the Ravens because he loves Lamar Jackson.

But heck I am tired of gearing up for games and telling my son hey this is a tough one because we are up against Joe Burrow or Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees.  I recall going to the game in NO years back where Washington almost beat NO but lost in overtime and consoling my kids by saying hey its Drew Brees.

Why don't we get Sunday Night football or even much MNF games or why does not the NFL wants to send us to Europe (recent years the matchups have improved abroad) is because we aren't a draw.  The QB is much to do about that.

When I saw the matchup advertised for last Sunday's game it was Dak's face juxtaposed to Terrys.    The NFL won't even showcase our QB to hype matchups.  The teams with QBs are promoted via the QB.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I have this feeling that leading up to the draft Maye will move past CW on a lot of boards.

I don't think this will happen, nor do I think it would be a bad thing if it actually did.  I am a huge fan of Drake Maye, and have been since the first time I watched him in 2022, and I am 100% sold that we can build a championship team around him.  But Caleb is better than him.  He's better in the way that Mahomes is better than Allen and Herbert and Burrow.  His talent is so superior and his creativity and decision making are so unique and next level, that he is the betting favorite among all recent QB draftees to be the best player in the NFL one day, after Mahomes ages out of the crown.

I think it's weird how little regard among regular fans that Caleb seems to get as a prospect, despite how unbelievably good he is.  There shouldn't really be any doubt about him being the #1 pick.  He's pretty much the wire to wire #1 pick in any draft class of the past ten years.  Usually you can't see these guys coming this well.  It wasn't as easy to see with Rodgers or Mahomes.  But Caleb won a Heisman and played three years for one of the highest profile coaches and QB whisperers in CFB, so he's further along in his development and his stardom.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't think this will happen, nor do I think it would be a bad thing if it actually did.  I am a huge fan of Drake Maye, and have been since the first time I watched him in 2022, and I am 100% sold that we can build a championship team around him.  But Caleb is better than him.  He's better in the way that Mahomes is better than Allen and Herbert and Burrow.  His talent is so superior and his creativity and decision making are so unique and next level, that he is the betting favorite among all recent QB draftees to be the best player in the NFL one day, after Mahomes ages out of the crown.

I think it's weird how little regard among regular fans that Caleb seems to get as a prospect, despite how unbelievably good he is.  There shouldn't really be any doubt about him being the #1 pick.  He's pretty much the wire to wire #1 pick in any draft class of the past ten years.  Usually you can't see these guys coming this well.  It wasn't as easy to see with Rodgers or Mahomes.  But Caleb won a Heisman and played three years for one of the highest profile coaches and QB whisperers in CFB, so he's further along in his development and his stardom.

Agree.

I think its mostly prospect fatigue with some.  The idea that the dude isn't all they are cracked up to be is sort of a draft talk staple. 

Also the other is the narrative comparison to other pros where the current college prospect isn't nearly the pro prospect that they are comparing them with -- even though those pro prospects mostly engaged on a similar ride when they went through the draft process where they were likewise picked apart and not universally loved. 

The power of hindsight.  We now say so and so is no Mahomes as if they saw Mahomes in his glory when he was a college prospect, when that was far from the case.

Now its with some that Drake Maye is no Justin Herbert as if they saw Justin the prospect as exactly who he is now as a pro, when we know that isn't true.

These pro players that some laud as the litmus test that these college prospects don't meet were often in the exact same shoes before the draft -- being ripped at that time.

9 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

And just because you WANT to move up, it kind of requires another team be willing to move down. If an awesome QB comes out next year, and a team that is desperate for a franchise guy has the 1st pick, they aren't going to trade it. So passing on a guy you can get now top 2 has 0 guarantee you can get a QB in future years just because you have more picks.

Chicago, passed last year on the top QB and gained picks, looks like it's working out okay four them. They get a redo this year too. There are no guarantee's either way period. Who say's the QB you draft is going to be a hit,Carolina? Options and choices just make the right trade up down make the pick, wait till next year, they all can work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

Chicago, passed last year on the top QB and gained picks, looks like it's working out okay four them. They get a redo this year too. There are no guarantee's either way period. Who say's the QB you draft is going to be a hit,Carolina? Options and choices just make the right trade up down make the pick, wait till next year, they all can work.

Agree. I think they will look at the value of the #1 pick and look to prioritise and also maximise value out of owing that. 

Best value to them could be one of several options currently.

6 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

So you want to bank on trading down with a team who wants a top qb and that they end up being so bad again that you get the top pick in the draft the next year? Because thats the only reason it worked out for the Bears. If they were picking 3rd behind us and the Patriots they would not be able to trade up regardless of how many picks they had. Just because it happened once does not make it likely to happen again. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2