Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: The Commanders vs. The Bills

zCommander

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I know (hope!) you are joking - but I can’t believe how quick some of you guys are jumping on Sam’s back. It’s his fourth start. 

It’s hard to really expect much from a dude with 4 starts but it is therapeutic for me to **** at him anyway. 

It’s easier (for me) to say Sam Howell sucks! fully expecting him to have bad games AND get better with time. 

Mental gymnastics for smart dumb people 😵‍💫

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Oh, believe me, I get it.  

Very well.  

I get that you coach.  

Play calling is not the problem.  Running more is not the problem.  

A young QB who isn’t quite there yet is the main problem.  The pass protection as a whole (QB/OL/Pickups) is the 1b problem.  

What you’re ignoring is that part of playcalling and scheming IS taking into account your “young QB who isn’t quite there yet”. That’s a problem, these plays don’t get called in a vacuum. Yes you can call a game that Patrick Mahomes would dominate. That doesn’t mean those are the right calls for this young QB. It’s a different talent and skill to both protect and enable your young QB through your playcalling as he grows, until he BECOMES the guy that you can call your ideal game for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The D has been kind of a fraud for a couple of years, not because they stink but because they have never really shown to be consistently good which is typically what comes before being "elite", this is not a new position for me.  The chunk plays given up in the secondary this year have been worrisome.

It's a shame we have whats basically a rookie QB, I think the offense could crush it if we didn't have all the dumb mistakes and turnovers.  I don't blame Sam, he needs time, he's got talent but if he doesn't work out those turnovers as the season progresses he'll be one and done.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Simmsy said:

I think it's too late for that now...maybe if we had SOME points...

It’s not too late yet. But it’s getting there. The playcalling needs balance. First drive was much better playcalling. Wylie and Howell blew it. 

But keep establishing the run and get a score here and we’re alive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not surprised by folks bailing on Sam so fast.  That was inevitable.

But I can’t pretend his stock isn’t dropping drastically with this performance.  

He was drafted in the 5th round.  He’ll be like a penny stock.  Big ups and big downs this seaso.  All icing on the cake as we learn whether he has the it factor and while we begin the countdown to the  end of the Ron Rivera era.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Conn said:

What you’re ignoring is that part of playcalling and scheming IS taking into account your “young QB who isn’t quite there yet”. That’s a problem, these plays don’t get called in a vacuum. Yes you can call a game that Patrick Mahomes would dominate. That doesn’t mean those are the right calls for this young QB. It’s a different talent and skill to both protect and enable your young QB through your playcalling as he grows, until he BECOMES the guy that you can call your ideal game for.

This is a fair point.

But I also think there is a lot of quick stuff being called and Howell isn’t seeing it.  

Just now, KDawg said:

It’s not too late yet. But it’s getting there. The playcalling needs balance. First drive was much better playcalling. Wylie and Howell blew it. 

But keep establishing the run and get a score here and we’re alive.

I'd say we should have kept running then too

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is a fair point.

But I also think there is a lot of quick stuff being called and Howell isn’t seeing it.  

It might be. But I’m not seeing anything open underneath on first watch. Maybe it’s there and I’m just not focused on it. 

Have you seen quick stuff open?

Also, Howell got out quick on that and still sacked. Our OL is just not good.