Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Keim's new podcast.  Another lovefest for Stromberg from him.

If I become a believer in this O line -- him being involved would be key for me.  

I'm happy that it sounds like he can contribute sooner rather than later.  The talk about redshirting strom and Daniels was bothersome bc if they carried 2 guys on the 53 that they were afraid to use, that would've been tough to see play out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Isaiah Simmons to the Giants for a 7th.  Wow.  He had a ton of hype as a do everything athlete coming out of college and just got dumped for table scraps.  Watch him flourish in NY.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/report-giants-acquiring-lb-isaiah-143434012.html

Damn it. He would have been the perfect LBer for us. Stupid Cards tried to make him a safety. That sucks for us.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Gibbs will be the best back in this class. He will have rushing and receiving yards and show his worth fairly quick, too, imo.

Because he’s been a box backer for 3 years. And he has never been a safety.

Yep. Put him exclusively at off ball backer and just let him go find football. That's what he does. Don't over think it.

And if Gibbs becomes Kamara 2.0, that's plenty worth a first round pick. Especially in that freaking offense.

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm happy that it sounds like he can contribute sooner rather than later.  The talk about redshirting strom and Daniels was bothersome bc if they carried 2 guys on the 53 that they were afraid to use, that would've been tough to see play out.

Sounds like he's elevated to the #1 backup job.  He's shown well according to Keim among others at guard as well as center.  Keim seems to think Larsen might get cut.  Finlay just now hinted the same.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yep. Put him exclusively at off ball backer and just let him go find football. That's what he does. Don't over think it.

And if Gibbs becomes Kamara 2.0, that's plenty worth a first round pick. Especially in that freaking offense.

According to Keim this team was interested in Gibbs and the poor man's version of him in Achane.   Not sure to the extent if they'd have taken them over other prospects.

But yeah I'd kill for Gibbs in this roster.  And to some extent Achane, too.

They could have gotten the poor man's version of both of them in Keaton Mitchell who Baltimore signed as an UDFA. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like he's elevated to the #1 backup job.  He's shown well according to Keim among others at guard as well as center.  Keim seems to think Larsen might get cut.  Finlay just now hinted the same.

According to Keim this team was interested in Gibbs and the poor man's version of him in Achane.   Not sure to the extent if they'd have taken them over other prospects.

They could have gotten the poor man's version of both of them in Keaton Mitchell who Baltimore signed as an UDFA. 

I so yearn for the closing of RonMart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The way Rodriguez has looked (sans the fumble), I'm ok with the young RB we picked.  EB liked him for a reason.  I figure we try and draft our Gibson replacement (or resign Gibson) next draft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The way Rodriguez has looked (sans the fumble), I'm ok with the young RB we picked.  EB liked him for a reason.  I figure we try and draft our Gibson replacement (or resign Gibson) next draft.

I like Rodriguez, too.  But I'd love a pass catching RB who can burn you in speed with crazy speed.

Gibson sort of fits that profile and I like him but he's not played exactly like a speed burner in space just yet.  Maybe this season, will see. 

I heard that from Keim earlier. Seems crazy that a team need of quality at OL will be cutting a quality player like Larsen. That however is how the cookie may crumble due the off season moves made or missed.

Achane or Spears would have fit nicely in EB's scheme. I am however extremely happy with what I have seen from Chris Rod

Just now, DWinzit said:

I heard that from Keim earlier. Seems crazy that a team need of quality at OL will be cutting a quality player like Larsen. That however is how the cookie may crumble due the off season moves made or missed.

Sounds like based on what some have said, Daniels and KJ Henry should be camp cuts if this is based on merit but this team doesn't like to cut their draft picks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Always felt like we were putting a little too much weight into “no plans for them to play this season”.  Stating the obvious, but unlike most positions, oline is one you don’t “plan” on your backups playing.  You do prepare for it of course.  Semantics, but still…

With that said, I haven’t really heard much positive about Daniels (compared with the recent reporting on Stromberg).  So that’s slightly concerning.

Are we really going to roll with just 2 centers?  Seems surprising given our recent history.  I suppose the hope is that Gates/Stromberg are less injury prone than Roullier/Larsen/Schweitzer, which is fairly reasonable I guess.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Achane or Spears would have fit nicely in EB's scheme. I am however extremely happy with what I have seen from Chris Rod

None of this has anything to do with Rodriguez.  If you check out what was said after we drafted him, I was infatuated.  

But Gibbs is a different kind of back.  

• Like 3

Just now, DWinzit said:

CRod is more of the same. I like him, too. But it's not about him. As with many things this regime has done it's about the strategy. Dynamic playmakers can play slot receiver or RB. This is what I thought they'd do with Samuel. They aren't.

That is where Gibbs, Achane of Mitchell slot in. Along with Gibson. Use JWill or Patterson as the backup downhill back and you have 4 backs, two of which can flex to the slot. And now you have true versatility. 

• Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

CRod is more of the same. I like him, too. But it's not about him. As with many things this regime has done it's about the strategy. Dynamic playmakers can play slot receiver or RB. This is what I thought they'd do with Samuel. They aren't.

Is this ^ something we know, or based on what we’ve seen in preseason?

9 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Simmons is not quick enough as a safety and not strong enough as a linebacker.  Very Landon Collins like.  Giants can have him.  

Um, did you happen to notice how incredible Collins was for us, when we moved him to LBer? A full season of that was a DPotY type production.

• Like 2

May be a meme of 2 people, beard, hair and text that says 'When you go from "We Dem Boyz" to "Do your job"'

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like based on what some have said, Daniels and KJ Henry should be camp cuts if this is based on merit but this team doesn't like to cut their draft picks.

Cutting Larson over Daniels would be absurd. Just PS Daniels.

• Haha 2

Yes and this is part of what has infuriated some of us about the 2023 draft, both selections had many of us questioning them right away.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

None of this has anything to do with Rodriguez.  If you check out what we said after we drafted him, I was infatuated.  

But Gibbs is a different kind of back.  

Understood, only mentioned him in a look from the draft and RB position. That's why I didn't include him in my mention of Achane and Spears. I viewed them as the level below Gibbs in that style of player

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cutting Larson over Daniels would be absurd. Just PS Daniels.

The problem would be Daniels clearing waivers but that would be the best case scenario

22 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Doesn't seem like things have radically changed.  Daniels feels like they still want to red shrt and will see if he survives moving forward.

But I get the vibe now from multiple beat guys that Stromberg's emergence is making Larsen a likely cut and in turn Stromberg becomes Gates backup.

I still think in the context of the 2023 draft class contributing, it feels pretty weak.

Forbes -- starter

Quan Martin -- has been struggiling in the preseason.  Keim said he thinks he's Curl's backup.

Stromberg -- likely first backup at center, 2nd backup at guard

Daniels -- bad camp, some said it have been cut if it weren't for him being a pick

KJ Henry -- they traded up for him.  Summarizing all of the beat guys -- mixed bag with more "meh" than good.  Keim thinks he's kept as the 11th player on the D line because again they don't like to cut draft picks.

Rodriguez -- 3rd back

Andre Jones -- best story of camp, a bit raw but they will use him as 2nd-3rd string backup

Contrast that for example to the Giants draft class where it looks they could have as much as 5 starters from the class with the others being rotational guys.  The draft I suspect will age better than how it contributes to 2023 -- but it feels really sloppy as to helping this team this season, in year 4 of Ron's tenure which is must win.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I honestly don't really know where the Giants love fest is coming from. Their defense was one of the worst in the league last year and while their offense was decent, they still have major question marks at receiver and O-line. Yeah, there are some reports that their rookies are looking good but they haven't played a down of real football yet, so I would pump the breaks on that a little. If all their rookies hit as some people here assume they do then yes, they will obviously be a good team but that has to happen first before I buy in.

I don't think the Giants were a better football team than us last year and we weren't a particularly good one either. For us, we have a chance to experience a major upgrade at the most important position in football and for them, Daniel Jones is still Daniel Jones. Can they be a good team this season? Yeah sure, every team can. But I am not sweating about the Giants.  Their secondary is still below average and the addition of a first round bust at LB that no one was willing to pay more than a 7th rounder for ain't gonna move the needle. To me they are basically on par with our team where I see a higher ceiling for us with Sam Howell now but also a lower floor - all depending on how he turns out for us.

6 minutes ago, Bantu said:

According to Simmons he requested to play safety primarily this season in their new defense in AZ. Played in the secondary last year, as well. Cards tried to use him everywhere, but maybe he just isn't that good

Wouldn't surprise me if they use him as a pass rusher.  He had 83.5 pass rushing grade from PFF. 4 sacks.  2 picks. 

I recall another Cardinal with freak athleticism, struggled some there and excelled elsewhere.  Hassan Reddick. 

Martindale their D coordinator is no joke.  I gather he has a plan he greatly believes in.  The Giants already blitz like hell.  Hard for me to see this guy not part of that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I honestly don't really know where the Giants love fest is coming from. Their defense was one of the worst in the league last year and while their offense was decent, they still have major question marks at receiver and O-line. Yeah, there are some reports that their rookies are looking good but they haven't played a down of real football yet, so I would pump the breaks on that a little. If all their rookies hit as some people here assume they do then yes, they will obviously be a good team but that has to happen first before I buy in.

I don't think the Giants were a better football team than us last year and we weren't a particularly good one either. For us, we have a chance to experience a major upgrade at the most important position in football and for them, Daniel Jones is still Daniel Jones. Can they be a good team this season? Yeah sure, every team can. But I am not sweating about the Giants.  Their secondary is still below average and the addition of a first round bust at LB that no one was willing to pay more than a 7th rounder for ain't gonna move the needle. To me they are basically on par with our team where I see a higher ceiling for us with Sam Howell now but also a lower floor - all depending on how he turns out for us.

Since you don't mention any of their off season additions, I assume the bet is the camp-preseason hype will prove to fall flat once the season starts.  We can get hyped for example about drafting Forbes but them drafting Banks "meh", etc.?  Maybe.  But then likewise we should cool our jets that our secondary is now good