Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former congressman George Santos arrest watch. Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against New York Rep. George Santos. (Charged with money laundering, wire fraud, unemployment fraud, lying to the House)

Cooked Crack

George Santos to face expulsion vote on Thursday, House speaker says

The Republican speaker of the US House, Mike Johnson, said the chamber would vote on whether to expel George Santos on Thursday, leaving it up to lawmakers to decide whether the New Yorker should be removed from office for embellishing his résumé and allegedly breaking federal law.

“What we’ve said as the leadership team is we’re going to allow people to vote their conscience,” Johnson told reporters on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.

“I think it’s the only appropriate thing we can do. We’ve not whipped the vote and we wouldn’t. I trust that people will make that decision thoughtfully and in good faith.

“I personally have real reservations about doing this, I’m concerned about a precedent that may be set for that. So, everybody’s working through that and we’ll see how they vote tomorrow.”

On Tuesday, Santos said he would not resign in order to avoid becoming only the sixth representative ever expelled from the House.

“If I resign, I make it easy for this place,” Santos, 35, told reporters. “This place is run on hypocrisy. I’m done playing a part for the circus. If they want me to leave Congress, they’re going to have to take that tough vote.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

And he will not be expelled.  

The Dems will vote to expel him.  And some Republicans, in close districts.  

But they will have coordinated their votes, behind closed doors, to make sure that it won't be enough to expel.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

And he will not be expelled.  

The Dems will vote to expel him.  And some Republicans, in close districts.  

But they will have coordinated their votes, behind closed doors, to make sure that it won't be enough to expel.  

I wonder if some of the Dems, like Jamie Raskin, who voted against expelling him previously, will do so again.

8 hours ago, China said:

I wonder if some of the Dems, like Jamie Raskin, who voted against expelling him previously, will do so again.

For Raskin, it was about honoring the process. I'm unsure if the House Ethics Committee's damning report meets the criteria, but it will be more than what he had last time.

• Like 2

Full text:

Today is supposed to be Expulsion day, but the vote is still not scheduled as of yet… it’s looking like debate may take place today. We will see, BUT, there is a twist.

This morning George Santos held a press conference & basically said I’m not trying to be kicked out alone! Jamaal Bowman needs to go too… you know eye for an eye or whatever logic he has.

Jamaal took a misdemeanor plea & that’s obviously worse than anything George has been accused of! So now instead of one expulsion, let’s have two!

All the while, again, we could be working on the President’s package which has aid for cities feeling crushed by the migrant crisis or hell we could maybe pass a budget, but nope… we will have dueling expulsions. Welcome to preschool … I mean our prestigious congress (darn autocorrect).

*Oh George did say that the Ferragamos he was wearing today are six years old & weren’t purchased with campaign money. Kudos to the reporter that asked!

George Santos is expelled from Congress in a historic vote.

Representative George Santos, the New York Republican whose tapestry of lies and schemes made him a figure of national ridicule and the subject of a 23-count federal indictment, was expelled from Congress on Friday after a bipartisan vote by his peers.

The move consigned Mr. Santos, who over the course of his short political career invented ties to the Holocaust, Sept. 11 and the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, to a genuine place in history: He is the first person to be expelled from the House without first being convicted of a federal crime or supporting the Confederacy.

The measure, which required a two-thirds majority, passed with 311 lawmakers in favor of expulsion, including 105 Republicans, and 114 against. Two members voted present.

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 8