Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I remember you mentioning him. Something tells me that STs are going to be more important than ever this season and if you can score on kick offs, you can really demoralize a team.

We do seem to be focusing on the back end of the roster.

Agree, plus we got an elite ST coach.  

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Jordan Reid is everywhere during Pro Day season.  That's pretty cool.  I liked listening to him do commentary for Jayden's Pro Day yesterday, and I assume he's hitting Duke and UNC today.

It always felt like he was a smarter and more experienced one of us.

He's really good (unlike the former Wapo columnist LOL).  He started off at draft network and ESPN poached him.  Massive improvement over Todd McKshay (although Todd was entertaining on his podcast with Kiper).  You can tell Reid is a grinder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Do you guys think they still may draft a return guy with these options now on the roster?

Also, what's the chance Milne survives the cuts?I don't see it

Keon Coleman returned kicks. Jus sayin ;)

• Thumb up 1

Finally settled on an NFL comp for Tez Walker: George Pickens.  Stupidly talented, but isn't a very serious player and has the kind of flaws that make you want to write him off.  So talented that you can't do it though.

Obviously has strong concerns about his hands and his overall focus and competitiveness.  Strong concerns about the quality of his route tree and the effort he gives.  But he's 6'2 with ridiculously long arms, a 40 inch vertical, and a 4.36 40.  He's a 98th percentile athlete for an NFL receiver.

If you can (and should) give Drake Maye a pass for the dysfunction of UNCs offense last year, Tez deserves some grace too.

He can work on his hands and his chemistry with Maye over time.  What can't be developed is his god given speed and catch radius.  He's gotta be in play somewhere in the second, and if he makes it to our pick in the third, why not take the swing?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Finally settled on an NFL comp for Tez Walker: George Pickens.  Stupidly talented, but isn't a very serious player and has the kind of flaws that make you want to write him off.  So talented that you can't do it though.

Obviously has strong concerns about his hands and his overall focus and competitiveness.  Strong concerns about the quality of his route tree and the effort he gives.  But he's 6'2 with ridiculously long arms, a 40 inch vertical, and a 4.36 40.  He's a 98th percentile athlete for an NFL receiver.

If you can (and should) give Drake Maye a pass for the dysfunction of UNCs offense last year, Tez deserves some grace too.

He can work on his hands and his chemistry with Maye over time.  What can't be developed is his god given speed and catch radius.  He's gotta be in play somewhere in the second, and if he makes it to our pick in the third, why not take the swing?

Does Tez have a plus catch radius? Doesn't seem like it. He drops a lot when he has to extend past his frame.

He is intriguing though, and I would be tempted to grab him in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Tez ain't even Pickens. Pickens is an absolute baller and his issue is more maturity and general moodiness, but if he were on a team with a real QB he'd be a star by now.

Walker is like Dyami Brown. Straight line speed and nothing else.

I wouldn't draft him before round 7.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Tez ain't even Pickens. Pickens is an absolute baller and his issue is more maturity and general moodiness, but if he were on a team with a real QB he'd be a star by now.

Walker is like Dyami Brown. Straight line speed and nothing else.

I wouldn't draft him before round 7.

Dyami doesn’t have stopwatch speed (or non-stopwatch speed lol). His issue is he was a “deep threat” without the measurables, speed, hands, or route nuance to actually fulfill that role in the NFL.

I agree that Pickens doesn’t feel like the right comp for Tez because Pickens isn’t a freak athlete but is a fluid athlete and natural downfield snagger of the ball despite his small hands. Great catch radius but some concentration drops. Tez is a freak athlete but questionable as a functional football player in terms of his smoothness as route runner and his garbage hands. Maybe it can be fixed, maybe not—but they seem to have opposite problems to me. Pickens is a “football player” through and through rather than a freak measurables paper tiger…and yeah, he has some personality concerns. 

Listened to an interesting breakdown of the Texas WRs. The Georgia transfer, (AD Mitchell) has all the tools to be a stud but seems like he has bad football character. They said if he wasn’t getting the ball on the play it was obvious as he left the huddle and that he gave minimal effort. He also pointed to an example of him juking out his defender and pointing at him like I got you, in the middle of the play. Cares more about his rep than team success. Actually said he wouldn’t draft him. Did say he didn’t talk to coaches and maybe he was coached to not wear himself out on plays he wasn’t getting it but thought that would be weird.

Contrasted that with Xavier Worthy, who ran a million go routes to clear out other players underneath rarely got the ball on them and still ran them 100%. Example of team player. Thought if he has better QB play would have caught more deep balls and he has guys beat.

Xavier Worthy concern was beating press but he can fly and is tough too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Dyami doesn’t have stopwatch speed (or non-stopwatch speed lol). His issue is he was a “deep threat” without the measurables, speed, hands, or route nuance to actually fulfill that role in the NFL.

I agree that Pickens doesn’t feel like the right comp for Tez because Pickens isn’t a freak athlete but is a fluid athlete and natural downfield snagger of the ball despite his small hands. Great catch radius but some concentration drops. Tez is a freak athlete but questionable as a functional football player in terms of his smoothness as route runner and his garbage hands. Maybe it can be fixed, maybe not—but they seem to have opposite problems to me. Pickens is a “football player” through and through rather than a freak measurables paper tiger…and yeah, he has some personality concerns. 

I think you are underestimating Pickens's athleticism.  His RAS had him 176 out of 2768 WRs at the time he came out, so he was a 93 percentile athlete rather than a 98 percentile.  Still very much elite for the position:

FQODMIHWYAgimUm?format=png&name=900x900

Pickens is not a "football player."  To me that term is shorthand for someone who is more than the sum of their parts, is tough, ultra focused, consistently high motor, etc.  Pickens is a circus catching freak talent who is a major diva with wild swings in his level of effort and focus.  He's a headache that you put up with because his peaks are so high.  Tez will be a similar player at the next level, except he's an even better athlete and he's not as much of a knucklehead.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I think you are underestimating Pickens's athleticism.  His RAS had him 176 out of 2768 WRs at the time he came out, so he was a 93 percentile athlete rather than a 98 percentile.  Still very much elite for the position:

FQODMIHWYAgimUm?format=png&name=900x900

Pickens is not a "football player."  To me that term is shorthand for someone who is more than the sum of their parts, is tough, ultra focused, consistently high motor, etc.  Pickens is a circus catching freak talent who is a major diva with wild swings in his level of effort and focus.  He's a headache that you put up with because his peaks are so high.  Tez will be a similar player at the next level, except he's an even better athlete and he's not as much of a knucklehead.

I’ll admit I didn’t realize Pickens had such an impressive RAS chart! It’s still kind of confusing given his poor vert and good but not amazing 4.47. Especially given he’s not particularly heavy for a 6’3” guy. I guess his broad and elite 10-yard split at his height are pulling a lot of value on this RAS chart. So I stand corrected on that. 

My instinct is still that he’s a natural plucker and Tez is the opposite, so I don’t love it as a comp. A shorter and faster Jon Baldwin feels better—but really I’m reaching for someone I perceive to be less of a natural catcher of the ball than Pickens because that’s really where the Tez comparison is wanting imo. Hell of an athlete, limited route runner with poor hands. Donte Moncrief maybe? 

3 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Does Tez have a plus catch radius? Doesn't seem like it. He drops a lot when he has to extend past his frame.

He is intriguing though, and I would be tempted to grab him in the 3rd.

Yeah he's got a pretty crazy catch radius.  He can sky and Drake made some hay off of throwing it super high to him by the sidelines last year.  He had a catch late in the third quarter of the Syracuse game that showed off his ability to get up for a throw most receivers would have had no shot at.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’ll admit I didn’t realize Pickens had such an impressive RAS chart! It’s still kind of confusing given his poor vert and good but not amazing 4.47. Especially given he’s not particularly heavy for a 6’3” guy. I guess his broad and elite 10-yard split at his height are pulling a lot of value on this RAS chart. So I stand corrected on that. 

My instinct is still that he’s a natural plucker and Tez is the opposite, so I don’t love it as a comp. A shorter and faster Jon Baldwin feels better—but really I’m reaching for someone I perceive to be less of a natural catcher of the ball than Pickens because that’s really where the Tez comparison is wanting imo. Hell of an athlete, limited route runner with poor hands. Donte Moncrief maybe? 

Yeah Tez doesn't have anywhere near as spectacular of hands as Pickens.  The comparison I've seen for Tez that makes sense from a physical comparison is DJ Chark.  Donte Moncrief makes sense too though.

These kinds of players usually disappoint, which is why I don't think I'd go for Tez at the end of the day.  But he becomes tempting in the third round.  Tall receivers with elite speed and genuine deep threat skills are rare.  If someone can fix his hands, they are going to get a vertical menace.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah Tez doesn't have anywhere near as spectacular of hands as Pickens.  The comparison I've seen for Tez that makes sense from a physical comparison is DJ Chark.  Donte Moncrief makes sense too though.

These kinds of players usually disappoint, which is why I don't think I'd go for Tez at the end of the day.  But he becomes tempting in the third round.  Tall receivers with elite speed and genuine deep threat skills are rare.  If someone can fix his hands, they are going to get a vertical menace.

Tez has hand issues but at least he's got more catching confidence than DJ Chark. I believe Chark was almost exclusively a basket catcher into his belly in college.

Would you trade J. Allen and one of the second rd picks to the Bears for pick number 9? 

We would be able to get one of the top OT then. I would have to at least think about it but would probably say no.

Edited by Redskins 2021

17 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I find  this one to be  a bit of a head scratcher. Would the idea to have him as the #2 selections backup for the next 4 years....well with Mariota being there also this year?

The next Gus Frerotte?

Edited by DWinzit

6 hours ago, Conn said:

18 years ago. Fascinating look inside the Bear’s uncertain war room in 2006 when they decided to draft Devin Hester:

I've always wanted to see a clip of a war room, preferably our team, and this is the first one I've seen so thanks for that.  Love to see more of these.  

22 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This reminds me of the way Dallas used to draft. They fell in love with guys because of how they did in drills and how they looked in their underwear and dismissed so much of what was seen on the game tape.  Not running good routes, questionable hands and work ethic is enough to make me pass.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan