Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

40 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Someone will emerge to play LT.  And if it doesn't happen this year, that's OK.  We don't need a dominant player there either.  The truth is that the shotgun spread passing game killed the premium value of the OT position, and many of the best lines in the NFL are running low drafted developmental types at LT, who aren't special players.  Look at what Philly, Chicago, Kansas City, and Green Bay all have at LT.  We can be OK if we have to go this route too.  If we have to draft a Kingsley Suamataia or Patrick Paul or Blake Fisher or Kiran Amegadjie in the second or third round, then that is a good outcome.

I also don't want to reach. But, moving up into a range where OT is BPA is a different thing. I think protection is critical for a rookie QB. 

Also, look how athletic this OT is.  Tylan Grable, UCF. 6'6", 306 pounds, arms 33 & 5/8", hands 10 & 1/8, 4.95 40, 1.69 10yd, 36.5" vert, 9'9" broad jump. That is ridiculous. Guard candidate? Any idea where he is projected?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tylan-grable/32004752-4102-7444-a454-6645dfedea6f

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think that is likely true, but tbf we dont know what we will be running yet.

That said I can't think of any system that could be/will be run in the NFL were the ability to pass protect i space is not a premium skill for an OT.

Yes, every single offense requires tackles to block in space.

Kliff and several others have said it's not the Air Raid offense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I also don't want to reach. But, moving up into a range where OT is BPA is a different thing. I think protection is critical for a rookie QB. 

I am a BPA guy.  But LT is a premiu, position and two things about this draft...

A.  Unusually deep for LT in the first

B.  Need to keep a rookie QB upright

Also if we skip on LT in this draft or go with a project who fails, it adds some urgency to draft LT next draft because of need considering LTs don't tend to ht the market in FA.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Simms true to form. of course Harrison isn't even a top tier WR to him. 😎

I'll give him that he is higher on Wilson than most as am I but he's not my WR #5. 

Simms had Dyami Brown as a top 5 WR in that 2021 class so yeah, I can do without his analysis.

I do love BTJ though.

35 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, look how athletic this OT is.  Tylan Grable, UCF. 6'6", 306 pounds, arms 33 & 5/8", hands 10 & 1/8, 4.95 40, 1.69 10yd, 36.5" vert, 9'9" broad jump. That is ridiculous. Guard candidate? Any idea where he is projected?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tylan-grable/32004752-4102-7444-a454-6645dfedea6f

He's on the radar with those numbers. He's another in a fairly long-line of Day 3 type prospects. 

These are the OT's I'm most interested in that range aside from Grable.

Cade Beresford Boise State

Doug Nester West Virginia

Frank Crum Wyoming

Jeremy Flax Kentucky

Walter Rouse Oklahoma

Josiah Ezirim Eastern Kentucky

Nathan Thomas Louisiana

Travis Glover Georgia State

Garrett Greenfield South Dakota State

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a BPA guy.  But LT is a premiu, position and two things about this draft...

A.  Unusually deep for LT in the first

B.  Need to keep a rookie QB upright

Also if we skip on LT in this draft or go with a project who fails, it adds some urgency to draft LT next draft because of need considering LTs don't tend to ht the market in FA.

I’m fine with trading up to attack LT but I think I would prefer trading a mid round pick for Bolles if Denver makes him available and taking more of a developmental LT in the 3rd.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

He's on the radar with those numbers. He's another in a fairly long-line of Day 3 type prospects. 

These are the OT's I'm most interested in that range aside from Grable.

Cade Beresford Boise State

Doug Nester West Virginia

Frank Crum Wyoming

Jeremy Flax Kentucky

Walter Rouse Oklahoma

Josiah Ezirim Eastern Kentucky

Nathan Thomas Louisiana

Travis Glover Georgia State

Garrett Greenfield South Dakota State

No Goncalves, Puni or Foster?

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes, every single offense requires tackles to block in space.

Kliff and several others have said it's not the Air Raid offense.

I missed that. Have they given any indication what it is? I assume passing game will be a hybrid of air raid/spread/WCO concepts - which is basically what every passing offense in the NFL is! I did read something about Kingsbury likely wanting to use more play action (which I fully endorse!)

Running game choice will be interesting as well and to our conversations above about OTs the choice on running game scheme will impact what the team are looking for from its offensive lineman. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No Goncalves, Puni or Foster?

I like them too KB a lot, but they'll go much higher than those I listed. Foster I'm not that high on though. I was at one point but he is more a project type IMO.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I missed that. Have they given any indication what it is? I assume passing game will be a hybrid of air raid/spread/WCO concepts - which is basically what every passing offense in the NFL is! I did read something about Kingsbury likely wanting to use more play action (which I fully endorse!)

Running game choice will be interesting as well and to our conversations above about OTs the choice on running game scheme will impact what the team are looking for from its offensive lineman. 

https://www.commanders.com/news/10-takeaways-from-kliff-kingsbury-joe-whitt-jr-s-press-conferences#:~:text="We want to be able,we do under that name."

"We want to be able to run the football and [run] play-action passes," Kingsbury said. "Really, do whatever it takes to win. But the Air Raid deal, I'm honored to be a part of that, because it was Mike Leach, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, but I wouldn't categorize anything we do under that name."

• Like 1

JM: You really are a student-athlete at Yale.  want to talk about your measurements. You clocked in at 6-foot-5 and 323 pounds with 36-inch arms and an 85.5-inch wingspan. The length is especially eye-opening. How do you use that length to your advantage?

Kiran Amegadjie: It’s everything. Length is at the forefront of my game. It’s the biggest advantage I have on the field, especially in pass protection. It’s really about getting my hands on my opponent and locking out.

If I get in a position where I get my hands on a guy, I know he can’t touch me. If he can’t touch me, he can’t shed the block. It’s really that simple. For me, I’d say length is my biggest weapon.

JM: Do you have a favorite pass set? Are you a vertical set guy?

Kiran Amegadjie: Honestly, no. I don’t have a favorite. My base set is an angle set. I don’t necessarily have a favorite. I love to switch it up in practice and try different things. When it comes to game time, I’ll typically lean on my base fundamentals. That’s the honest truth.

I love playing around and tinkering with my base set though. I love to try new things out. Football is a game at the end of the day. You have to play around with it and play the game within the game a little bit.

JM: I love that approach. What's your favorite play to run in the playbook?

Kiran Amegadjie: Definitely duo. Duo is my favorite play. It’s so physical. It’s a vertical, downhill running scheme. I love that approach. It’s extremely physical at the point of attack. It creates as many double teams as possible. It displaces defenders off the line of scrimmage.

It’s a tone-setter up front. We were so good at it at Yale that we ran it on 3rd-and-10 (laughs). We ran it a bunch on 3rd-and-10 this past season before I got injured. We picked up a bunch of first downs too. That was our bread-and-butter play.

JM: Running it on 3rd-and-10 is hilarious. Do you see yourself playing in a gap/power scheme, or are you a better fit for a zone-blocking system that gets you out in space?

Kiran Amegadjie: I honestly think I fit in both schemes. I have a lot of athleticism to get out in space. I can move and block defenders in space. I can climb to the second level. I love displacing defenders. A zone-based scheme is amazing for that.

I also think the biggest part of my game, especially in the run game, it’s my pop at the point of attack. I’m super strong, which also leans favorably towards that gap scheme. I love a physical scheme. It’s very much downhill as opposed to something zone-based. I fit both systems.

JM: You’re versatile that way. With the NFL Combine now in our rearview mirror, do you have any upcoming Top 30 visits?

Kiran Amegadjie: I have a few scheduled for April. I’ll be in Cleveland for a visit with the Browns. I’ll be back home in Chicago for a visit with the Bears. I’m also going to be in Washington, D.C.

I think I have a few more on the books, about three or four more visits that we’re still scheduling right now. I also had 10 formals at the NFL Combine. I met with every team at least informally.

JM: There’s a lot of interest in you and it’s easy to see why. This has been an outstanding conversation. We've appreciated your time today. What kind of impact is Kiran Amegadjie going to make at the next level?

Kiran Amegadjie: When you draft Kiran Amegadjie, you’re getting a flat-out ball player at the end of the day. I’m a super-talented, tough, and physical player. I work extremely hard. I’m very dedicated and driven. I want to be the best player I can be at the end of the day.

I have the ability to be the best. I know what I’m going to be. In 10-15 years, people are going to look back on me as the best offensive tackle in the 2024 NFL Draft. I know that for a fact not because of what I’ve done before, but because I know exactly what I’m going to do moving forward.

I know how badly I want this. I know how much work I’m going to put in. I want to be great. I’m a can't-miss prospect.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2024/03/17/kiran-amegadjie-nfl-draft-interview

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Every single source I've seen has it at 34. Where are you getting 33 1/8 from?

The measurements during the combine were at 33 and 1/8th, then they changed to 34 a few days later. Seems like there was an error somewhere.

Ah, I think I see it. Fuaga's arms are now coming in at 33 and 1/8 down which is a bit shorter than it first was measured at. I think they put Fuaga's arms as Fashanu's and have since corrected it.

I'll just go with Fashanu at 34" unless Brugler lists it otherwise.

He's my TE 2, too.  YAC.

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

The measurements during the combine were at 33 and 1/8th, then they changed to 34 a few days later. Seems like there was an error somewhere.

Ah, I think I see it. Fuaga's arms are now coming in at 33 and 1/8 down which is a bit shorter than it first was measured at. I think they put Fuaga's arms as Fashanu's and have since corrected it.

I'll just go with Fashanu at 34" unless Brugler lists it otherwise.

Between Fauga, Fashanu and Fautanu all likely going in the first round that's a mouthful

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Quite possible I’m putting too much weight on Shen’s outlook on TEs (combined with our need to address the spot anyway), but I think that’s the position I’d be most surprised if we didn’t address day 2.  Of course, if we either don’t land a starting tackle in FA/trade or via trading up, that will trump TE in terms of surprise factor.

16 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Quite possible I’m putting too much weight on Shen’s outlook on TEs (combined with our need to address the spot anyway), but I think that’s the position I’d be most surprised if we didn’t address day 2.  Of course, if we either don’t land a starting tackle in FA/trade or via trading up, that will trump TE in terms of surprise factor.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that #36 goes to OT and #40 is either TE or trade-down. 

Not sure how far down you could go to still have a shot at Sanders. I think he's slipped further than I would think happens in many mocks. #40 might honestly be the farthest he falls. I have loved Sanders throughout the process and wouldn't be shocked if he sneaks into R1 even.

QB - Morgan - Sanders start to the draft would be phenomenal. And with such a deep WR draft, I would think we could get a quality player at #67 there as well. Then turn attention to defense (+ another lineman)

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Between Fauga, Fashanu and Fautanu all likely going in the first round that's a mouthful

I just figured they were the same dude that had a hard name for people to spell so they were just giving him their own nicknames. Been like that for a couple months now...

I dont know whats going on... and at this point I'm too afraid to ask -  Andy Dwyer - Too Afraid To Ask Meme Generator

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

The rule of thumb I'm settling on is if the player gets into +10 value range, then that is when I consider a trade up.  I have Bowers at 3 overall on the board, and Verse at 6 overall.  So if either hits ~15, then I try and trade up for them.  I've got Fuaga and Fashanu at 9 and 10, so they enter trade up territory by ~20, increasingly so by the mid 20s.  I've got Morgan and Alt in the early 20s, so by the early 30s I consider moving up.  Yes I recognize I am far lower on Alt than the consensus and he's not going to make it to the 20s, much less the 30s.

I need that kind of value from the pick to compensate for the fact I'm losing a prospect in exchange.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With our needs at CB, and assuming we will be playing more press-man coverage (bigger, longer armed and physical CB). Any thoughts on a few CBs who would seem to fit?

Here are some guys I read about that would seem to be a fit if we are looking for that type of player:

Ennis Rakestraw Jr., Missouri

T.J. Tampa, Iowa State

Jarvis Brownlee Jr., Louisville 

Cam Hart, Notre Dame

Khyree Jackson, Oregon

Edited by seantaylor=god
Removed Newton
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Sign a vet OT and trade back up into first round for the other OT.

Sign Lucas as swing tackle. Yep jump back up for a LT in the first. See what post draft releases happen. Or go RT round 5.

• Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

https://www.commanders.com/news/10-takeaways-from-kliff-kingsbury-joe-whitt-jr-s-press-conferences#:~:text="We want to be able,we do under that name."

"We want to be able to run the football and [run] play-action passes," Kingsbury said. "Really, do whatever it takes to win. But the Air Raid deal, I'm honored to be a part of that, because it was Mike Leach, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, but I wouldn't categorize anything we do under that name."

I read a book called The Perfect Pass about how Hal Mumme and his O-Line Coach and later OC Mike Leach developed the Air Raid.  I don't know if a pure Air Raid system could be effective in the NFL.  It was mostly built upon simplicity and being able to outexecute the defense.   It only had like a dozen pass plays and about 5 runs and the plays were not reversible.  Now in the early days it was not clear to DC's that there were only a dozen pass plays because all 12 pass plays had at least one option route and sometimes up to three receivers had option routes, so if you are just watching game tape it seems like a lot more than 12 pass plays.  But Mumme teams just repped those 12 pass plays over and over and over and it was about out-executing the defense.  It adopted tricks to keep the defense vanilla (it was arguably the first system to really use tempo--a bunch of offenses by the early 1990's including a couple NFL offenses were using the no huddle offense, but they were still only snapping the ball with maybe 15 seconds on the play clock whereas Mumme's team snapped the ball with between 20 to 25 seconds on the playclock much like a true two minute offense)--and the QB called the play at the LOS on most plays--and the tempo offense worked because there were only 12 plays to choose from and they repped them all so often they knew them really well--it was also one of the first offenses to just let the QB make the playcall at the line (you cannot play tempo as fast if the OC is calling the play).  The system was also an early adopter of the shotgun.

But the key to understand about the Air Raid's success as a pure system is that it worked because the offense outexecuted the defense.  Because there were only 12 plays and they practiced the heck out of the 12 plays, they could outexecute the defense.   Especially in college, where practice time is maybe half as much as in the NFL (I made up that number, but NFL teams can get in more practice than college teams), that was enough. 

I don't know if that simplicity would work in the NFL.  NFL defenses can execute at a high level.   That said, most of the Air Raid plays, such as Mesh, Y-Sail, et cetera are in the NFL playbooks.  So NFL has incorporated the 12 or so passing plays from the Air Raid, without picking up some of the other key aspects of the system like the Tempo and simplicity.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1