Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’ve been out of the loop a little on some prospects. Been busy with my own team’s stuff…

But Nathaniel Watson is all over the field as a LB. Going to have to watch him more. Between him, Colson and Wilson LB doesn’t look half bad in round 2

ND LB Bertrand has been very active as as Watson. He also had a good week based n what I had read. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rattler looked great on that deep ball and how fast he recognized it. I really like him. It’s hard to advocate not going Maye at 2, but McCarthy and Rattler later are growing on me… 

You are on it with the processing. It's why I haven't been able to really fall in like with any of the top 3. The thing with Rattler and McCarthy is they both are a bit inconsistent, but I think the top 8 all are.  

4 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Brugler said Bertrand was easily the best LB at Senior Bowl, especially with intangibles. Helped coach up teammates, knew everything, etc

Yes, very vocal leader and has great instincts. 

I have always felt a LB's most important quality is instincts as processing and accuracy is for a QB

• Like 1

I posted the below in reply to a meme about Cutler, Trubisky and Fields being ruined by the Bears and a pic of Williams implying he would be too:

I don’t really love this narrative. 

It’s giving an excuse to all of those guys that the Bears ruined them and it wasn’t partially their doing.

I’d argue Fields is developing and has gotten better each year. And Cutler was never ruined. 

But the built in excuses for Williams are already starting.

I don’t know, man. Him saying he can do everything Mahomes can, the little things that happened throughout the year, the rumor he doesn’t want to play for Chicago. I’m souring on Williams.

I’ll have to trust the decision makers for now, that if he winds up here the team did their due diligence.

I really, really hope they do.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Julian Pearl is being way underrated IMO. Jaylon Carlies is interesting but for a former WR he seems pretty stiff to me. Ryan Watts Texas is the CB/Safety I wish the Commanders would take a gander at. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’ll have to trust the decision makers for now, that if he winds up here the team did their due diligence.

I don't like divas because they could so easily ruin their superior talent, while an above average player can outperform his skillset with his mindset.

Your mindset is one of the most powerful weapon you have, and also an hedge against hubris aka diva attitude.

Well as you said, (what do I know ?) we've got to trust this FO.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I posted the below in reply to a meme about Cutler, Trubisky and Fields being ruined by the Bears and a pic of Williams implying he would be too:

It’s giving an excuse to all of those guys that the Bears ruined them and it wasn’t partially their doing.

I’d argue Fields is developing and has gotten better each year. And Cutler was never ruined. 

I don’t know, man. Him saying he can do everything Mahomes can, the little things that happened throughout the year, the rumor he doesn’t want to play for Chicago. I’m souring on Williams.

Basically this for me. If it’s overblown or not true, the Bears will take him. If they don’t, we probably don’t want him either. 

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I've been nervous about him from the beginning. I know the buzz about his athleticism, playmaking ability, and the relationships he's had over the years with NFL types but he strikes me as immature, a bit of a headcase, and the fumbleitis is particularly concerning. That said, with the buzz that we could land Kingsbury as OC, it would definitely be interesting. I'd hate to use a bunch of draft capital to go up one spot, but if Peters thinks he's the guy, I'm in. 

Haven't watched Gray yet

Screen Shot 2024-02-03 at 4.28.08 PM.png

57 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Something was strange about Rattler first touchdown. The corner was playing off the whole drive. Then he comes up on that play but the weird thing is he never tried to get a hand on the receiver. Rarely see press without getting hands on them. 

It was a hard watch for me the Senior Bowl this year

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

You are on it with the processing. It's why I haven't been able to really fall in like with any of the top 3. The thing with Rattler and McCarthy is they both are a bit inconsistent, but I think the top 8 all are.  

Rattler is too short. I am definitely out on him 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He’s taller than Williams. 

Rattler came in at like 6' and 1/8 inch or something near there. If Williams is sub 6 than Russell Wilson is the best possible outcome for him. Wilson's sack prone nature doesn't go away regardless of OL talent.

As weird as Wilson is as a person, he never had this "I've already made it attitude". He always felt more humble and hard work gets him to where he wants to go kind of guy.

So much of QB success is tedious work, and Williams seems he'll never do it to reach the next level in the Pro's. His natural talent is the only thing he'll rely on. Like Kyler Murray's infamous video game inspired study clauses in his contract.

I don't want to pigeon hole Williams future, but the risks for his personality loom large. I don't love any of the QB's in this draft. The front office has their work cut out for them trying to figure this mess out.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Is that your take or expect opinion ?

What?

25 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Rattler came in at like 6' and 1/8 inch or something near there. If Williams is sub 6 than Russell Wilson is the best possible outcome for him. Wilson's sack prone nature doesn't go away regardless of OL talent.

As weird as Wilson is as a person, he never had this "I've already made it attitude". He always felt more humble and hard work gets him to where he wants to go kind of guy.

So much of QB success is tedious work, and Williams seems he'll never do it to reach the next level in the Pro's. His natural talent is the only thing he'll rely on. Like Kyler Murray's infamous video game inspired study clauses in his contract.

I don't want to pigeon hole Williams future, but the risks for his personality loom large. I don't love any of the QB's in this draft. The front office has their work cut out for them trying to figure this mess out.

He measured at the senior bowl? That’s surprising. He’s been listed as 6-2 prior. I stand corrected.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Expert opinion clearly, UK auto correct in full flow….😂

Well, let me ask: what qualifies as expert opinion?

I’ve been coaching football for two decades.

Does a draftnik’s thoughts count more than mine?

They’re all just opinions. Mine. Yours. Brugler. Thor. Okay, well, maybe not Thor. But you get my point. 

My educated opinion is that none of the three process quickly. 

I can back that with reasons, too.

Williams has the best ability to create and escape. He does a real nice job keeping his eyes down field and making something out of nothing. He’s pocket mobility is otherworldly. However, he has an average time to throw off 3.27 seconds. Part of that is creating. Part of that is he isn’t always seeing the field as clear as he can. He also often misses the open read to try to make the bigger play and sometimes that backfires. 

Drake Maye already has a little gunshy in him from his line. He has less time to throw but he gets happy feet and in the views we have access to doesn’t always have his eyes downfield. He processes faster, but has less control at times over his process speed. At times, he bails when he shouldn’t and sacks himself. Similar to Howell in that regard. And, like Howell, part of that is a processing issue.

Daniels can process a wide open receiver extremely quickly, and get the ball there. But when he sees a receiver that is running contested he doesn’t trust his eyes or arm and then takes off. He is generally a 1-2 read, if they are same side of the field, and bails. That means he can process his first few reads quickly but doesn’t always get through his reads and tends to bail on instinct. His processing speed isn’t necessarily slow, but he doesn’t trust himself enough in his processing. 

I can’t comment on any of their work ethics or personality makeups, that’s where insider info is important (is that what you mean by expert? Insider?).

There is of course smoke on some of that stuff, but I don’t have any inside info so I can’t possibly form a complete and definitive opinion on those aspects. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

Yeah it looks like Alt has a length and functional power issue.  Disappointing lack of anchor power too.  He's so tall that it's hard for him to grab hold and sit down on opponents, and they clear his hands with such basic stuff.  His pass pro against NFL caliber power is not great.

He's the second best run blocker at OT after Fuaga, but I have him as OL4 and a ~20s caliber prospect.  There is more emperor's new clothes effect with him than any other player in the class for me, and I don't understand why his weaknesses have been ignored despite how obvious they are.  His bad reps entail really ugly losses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TBH, I think JPJ, Van Pran, and Beebe are all better players and prospects than Alt too.  They won't go anywhere near as high as him because of their size and position value, but I think they each end up better pros than him.

IMO Alt is another Mike McGlinchey.  My projection is he'll be an overpaid, overdrafted league average starting tackle who struggles with big boy power rushers, which is almost every premier pass rusher in the game now.  His excellence as a run blocker won't offset his flaws in true passing sets at tackle.

Maybe he gets a lot bulkier and more powerful in the NFL, but I wouldn't take that bet before the 20s.  That is too much of a speculative projection for my comfort level.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Well, none of the top 3 are excellent processors. 

Pratt seems okay but I haven’t seen enough of him. Nix processes well but makes strange decisions. McCarthy and Rattler might be the best processors but… eh.

Penix is actually probably the best processor but he struggled when under duress and gets banged up kinda quick.

Did anyone have a clue that Mahomes was the type of processor he obviously is? 

That’s a serious question, I don’t remember when he was coming out if that was considered a positive for him. I remember him being perceived as being incredibly raw. Seems like with a lot of these guys, especially when scheme and what they’re asked to do is taken into account—it’s not always easy to tell what they’re seeing or not seeing. If it was easy to nail which guys are excellent processors I think the hit rate on QBs would be a lot higher. Seems like one of the harder things to judge. But are there examples of guys who weren’t obviously great processors in college who showed it later with NFL coaching and discipline? Seems like there would be a bunch 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1