Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Do we know if that's only at IDL alignment? I want to see Darius Robinson's IDL numbers after he dropped weight to play Edge (but still lined up inside at times)

From watching some of Brendan Rice's clip, I don't think his skills translate to the Pro's that well.

Not sure if it's only at IDL alignment, but thought it was interesting enough to share.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Oh man, I so hope some team lands those last two offensive guys listed and they wind up lining up next to each other at LG and C….

Yes, I’m talking about Puni Johnson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Dylan McMahon is an interesting player. I was unsure where to rank him. He's projected anywhere from a mid rounder to UDFA. 

Agree, I looked at him actually, for what it’s worth :ols:

On 1/29/2024 at 7:34 AM, Warhead36 said:

Man I wish this was a stronger RB draft. 36 would be a great spot to pick up an electric playmaker. Although with how good Gibbs has been for the Lions(yesterday's fumble aside)I can see teams now taking RB in the 1st more often. Get a stud for 5 years dirt cheap then let em go before you have to pay em.

He's not in this draft. I'm okay with that as well. This team won't be good next year, probably not that great in '25 either, both the '24 and '25 classes are supposed to be awful and meh respectively. That's okay. It's empty calories when you're 31st in the league which we were this past year. Might as well spend draft capital on a RB when we're better and can use them and when the talent is there. The '20, '22, and '23 classes were good, this one is all decade level horrible. Straight pass. Make do until '25 or '26. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:15 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not bad IMO at RB.  Missing those headliners, though.  But a bunch of B to B plus type prospects IMO.   I think that late round 3rd or early 4th could be a prime spot.  

We're gonna disagree here. I think this is the worst class I've seen since that horrid 2009-2014 era. In some ways you could say that it's similar to the god awful '16 and '19 classes, except that there aren't any Zeke's, Derek Henry's, or a clump of second tier guys like Josh Jacobs, Monty and Miles Sanders. There's nothing with close to a 1st round grade, and nothing with a second round worthy grade that doesn't have a torn ACL. For me, that's a catastrophe. It does remind of '16, if there's no Zeke or Derek Henry because similarly, the bottom fell out of that class after those two guys, everything else was either speculative, or just pumping up disappointing guys.

To be fair, the third tier of this class is better than '16 and '19, but the third tier of this class are the guys that would typically go in that 75-125 zone. If the best in the class has a torn ACL, and nothing else is really even worth a second rounder how good is it? To me, yep, you can find some guys worth dart throwing on day 3, but day 2? There's one guy i'd be happy with on day 2, and that puts it smack dab in the '16 zone if Henry and Zeke weren't in that class. 

So for me anyway, there is no reason to go after RB. The talent isn't there, every single round there's going to be a better prospects at another position than RB, every single one (unless some of those guys in the 75-125 zone drop to 5th round and later) barring a surprise significant drop, and as such, I just don't see a point. Get a spackle free agent guy, and hold serve until the prospects are better, we need everything, don't peel off talent at a position that isn't really there. Doing that just reminds me of the Giants drafting Paul Perkins because they needed a RB or the Texans taking Tyler Ervin etc. A bad class is a bad class. I can understand going after Prosise like the Seahawks did, the athleticism and talent was there, okay, couldn't stay healthy, but a pick like that? I can live with. But just forcing stuff out of need, like the Giants did with Perkins is what I dread in a bad class like this. Perkins sucked, was always gonna suck, but the Giants needed a RB, and that was the draft class in front of them, so out went the early 5th rounder, and in came the bust. Not a day 2 bust, still a wasted pick EVERYONE knew was wasted the second it was made. At least Jonathan Williams had athleticism and potential, or Prosise, or every Kenyan Drake, but there are a ton of Paul Perkins type guys that are gonna go in this draft rounds 3 to 5. It's our job to just say no to such picks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree, I looked at him actually, for what it’s worth :ols:

Me too :) 

He'll need to get stronger and bigger I believe for the NFL at that position but he has a future at the next level IMO.

Darius Robinson has made a piss-ton of money this week. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/eric-edholm-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-chargers-grab-te-brock-bowers-at-no-5-qb-j-j-mccarthy-to-rams

1st mock post-Senior Bowl, so all of the national media guys will have had a bit more intel from the actual scouts. It's still going to change again when they get more facetime with the scouts during the combine.

• Fashanu is the 4th OL drafted. I wonder if he falls a bit further.
  • Fautanu and Guyton go mid-1st.
  • JJ McCarthy goes #19
  • JPJ goes #21
  • Darius Robinson #31
  • Graham Barton #32

So that leaves us with who, Patrick Paul as the best OT left in the 2nd round?

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/eric-edholm-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-chargers-grab-te-brock-bowers-at-no-5-qb-j-j-mccarthy-to-rams

1st mock post-Senior Bowl, so all of the national media guys will have had a bit more intel from the actual scouts. It's still going to change again when they get more facetime with the scouts during the combine.

• Fashanu is the 4th OL drafted. I wonder if he falls a bit further.
  • Fautanu and Guyton go mid-1st.
  • JJ McCarthy goes #19
  • JPJ goes #21
  • Darius Robinson #31
  • Graham Barton #32

So that leaves us with who, Patrick Paul as the best OT left in the 2nd round?

Maybe as to Paul.  Sort of odd that Chris Paul is hanging at the Senior Bowl, chatting with Peters and hyping his brother.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:48 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I read he had a rough practice yesterday.  Also came in at 6 '1, lower than expected and with small hands.  so maybe he does drop to the 2nd.

Dynasty community LOATHES him, in the sense of within the expected tier of where he goes, there's the largest sense of "--- is this guy going this high?!?!"

Will be interesting to see if he hits because the tape and analytics communities in dynasty aren't fans at all, pre combine anyway (and honestly, WR is the least impacted by combine results, to sometimes comic results (like more hits with guys that suck at the bench press than guys that were great at it lol). 

On 2/1/2024 at 7:40 AM, sinews said:

I've seen a lot of talk about centers but does that mean we're out on Stromberg? I thought he was a promising prospect although I know he was injured at some point last season. Or are we thinking he's more guard material?

Hate to have to draft a center two years in a row but it is an important position. 

Yep. I see it too, and consider Stromberg a day 2/early 4th valued Center prospect, nearly the top prospect at C in '23. I don't see any reason to draft a Center unless the internal view of the player was that he was a bust. Everything I saw about him was he likely had the potential to be a regular solid starter at the position, consider him an extra late 3rd round pick this year which kinda which he is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

We may have to get Ladd McConkey with one of our 2nd round picks if we can based on what I'm seeing; He's drawing comps to Cooper Kupp.

He's white, and that's about it for the comparison. Kupp is 3 inches taller. Ladd has seriously quick feet. He can stop on a dime. They're different guys.

14 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Yep. I see it too, and consider Stromberg a day 2/early 4th valued Center prospect, nearly the top prospect at C in '23. I don't see any reason to draft a Center unless the internal view of the player was that he was a bust. Everything I saw about him was he likely had the potential to be a regular solid starter at the position, consider him an extra late 3rd round pick this year which kinda which he is. 

Maybe he can. I like Beaux Limmer, who switched from Guard to Center to replace him this year and like Strom, I wouldn't draft him until day 3.

If we have a shot at Zak Frazier, JPJ or SVP we need to jump, because they're all day on starters to build out from.

Center has been a major issue for us, since Chase Roullier first got injured. Our line has been bad since that happened.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we have a shot at Zak Frazier, JPJ or SVP we need to jump, because they're all day on starters to build out from.

Unless all of the big boards are way off, Van Pran is probably going to be available in the third round.  We can draft Patrick Paul if he's there in the second and still get Van Pran.  That'd be a major infusion of talent into our OL pipeline, to the point where we might not even need to sign any vet IOLs in free agency.  You would have Van Pran, Stromberg, Daniels, Wylie, and Cosmi for your interior depth chart, and could probably start Paul at tackle as a rookie.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Unless all of the big boards are way off, Van Pran is probably going to be available in the third round.  We can draft Patrick Paul if he's there in the second and still get Van Pran.  That'd be a major infusion of talent into our OL pipeline, to the point where we might not even need to sign any vet IOLs in free agency.  You would have Van Pran, Stromberg, Daniels, Wylie, and Cosmi for your interior depth chart, and could probably start Paul at tackle as a rookie.

The drop off from those three to the next tier is pretty large. Getting Van Pran in the third would be incredibly lucky. I think we can slide back a little in the second for him, but again, if our 2nd round selection is any one of those three centers and Paul, who I'm right there with you on, then that's a home run.

Third round I'm thinking LBer like Colson or Cooper and TE I think we'll see a run on for guys like Sinnott, Theo Johnson, Cade Stover, etc.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The drop off from those three to the next tier is pretty large. Getting Van Pran in the third would be incredibly lucky. I think we can slide back a little in the second for him, but again, if our 2nd round selection is any one of those three centers and Paul, who I'm right there with you on, then that's a home run.

Third round I'm thinking LBer like Colson or Cooper and TE I think we'll see a run on for guys like Sinnott, Theo Johnson, Cade Stover, etc.

Based on needs and the look of where prospects fall it does feel like OL, LB and TE will be strong picks in rounds 3 and 4. The way they approach/attack FA will give us a better feel.

Can't wait for the coaching staff to be filled and FA getting started! With Q as HC I am expecting more attention tot he LB, DB, OL and TE then the last clown show.

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Based on needs and the look of where prospects fall it does feel like OL, LB and TE will be strong picks in rounds 3 and 4. The way they approach/attack FA will give us a better feel.

Can't wait for the coaching staff to be filled and FA getting started! With Q as HC I am expecting more attention tot he LB, DB, OL and TE then the last clown show.

I agree. I think QB is the most interesting piece. If we sign Wilson or Kirk, then we are going to have a hell of a lot more picks to play with

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree. I think QB is the most interesting piece. If we sign Wilson or Kirk, then we are going to have a hell of a lot more picks to play with

Wilson is still under contract and 0 chance we sign Cousins

• Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

OMG yes. The cupboards would be filled if a trade back from 2 occurred. What a one year turn around after hammering FA as well and the draft.

While I am not truly sold on any of these QB's, it is tough to walk away from the opportunity to have a top long term QB. If only Howell was given protection, we'd be certain about his abilities instead of letting get hammered. If the season ended the week before Thanksgiving I'd say we would be trading back and maybe grabbing a JJ or something like that to team with Howell. Oh well...

• Like 1