Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

You can find videos of every QB getting lit up.

Exactly. He definitely needs to learn to slide and protect himself better but sorry he has ZERO injury history and played against legit defenses and teams sending multiple players to the NFL and proved to be durable. He needs to put on weight for sure, but even the RG3 comparisons feel like people who can't get over old scars.

RG3 had injury issues in college. He tore his ACL before even making it to the NFL and had 2 or 3 concussions. Its just not comparable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I look at it like: if Ben Johnson is our coach, the best fit is Drake Maye and it puts us a on a path to sustained success for the next decade. It just looks like a perfect marriage, even if individually Maye doesn't necessarily reach the same level as Williams or Daniels.

But if we hire Slowik jr, I think the potential of him with Williams or Daniels could be tremendous. Like, Reid/Mahomes part 2. But its also a riskier path.

I feel like Johnson and Williams could be a disaster. Johnson's coaching style, just not sure but it feels like it wouldn't utilize Williams well or there will be some kind of rift there. Just basing this off instinct and what I read from Johnson being more of a strickler and Williams being more of a free spirit. Johnson and Daniels might work out though.

At least judging by the reports about Ben Johnson, the description of him is he's a chameleon, worked with different offenses.  And he built the offense around Goff's skill set -- not because Goff was his ideal QB but because that's who he had in hand.  

So am doubting he above all is rigid and stuck with a system. 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/12/10/22828124/getting-to-know-detroit-lions-te-coach-ben-johnson-rising-influence 

Ben Johnson’s diverse coaching background has given him an opportunity to expand his role for the Lions.

Not only has Johnson, a former quarterback himself, worked as a coach or assistant of every skill position group at the NFL level, but he has also brushed shoulders with a lot of bright offensive minds.

Johnson says one of his strengths is his diverse football background. Though he’s only 35 years old, this is Year 10 as an NFL coach for him. He was under Bill Lazor for two years in Miami, who brought a Chip Kelly style of offense that helps him collaborate with running backs coach Duce Staley (who helped run that system in Philadelphia). He spent another two years with Mike Sherman, who taught him West Coast Offense concepts. Adam Gase brought the Peyton Manning/Jim Bob Cooter-style into focus for him.

Coaching legend Al Saunders taught Johnson that you can only teach what you know, but at this point in his career, Johnson knows a heck of a lot.

“From each guy, I’ve been able to pick something up, both good and bad, things I would like to emulate and things I wouldn’t,” Johnson said. “I think that’s really helped me in terms of expanding my mind, expanding some concepts, maybe, from the passing game, from that regard.”

You may think that Johnson, who graduated with a B.S. in both mathematics and computer science, would take that analytical approach to coaching. But the Lions tight end coach says that it’s his family’s background in teaching that he leans on more in this profession.

“My dad was an educator, my mom was a teacher, my sister is an assistant principal at my high school,” Johnson said. “So I think just growing up in that environment has helped out more than anything in terms of the teaching aspect of coaching.”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At least judging by the reports about Ben Johnson, the description of him is he's a chameleon, worked with different offenses.  And he built the offense around Goff's skill set -- not because Goff was his ideal QB but because that's who he had in hand.  

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

No one has the history of taking those kinds of hits that Daniels has. 

I've watched a lot of Daniels.  lol, I took a beating for pushing him on the Qb thread before the season unraveled for Howell.

But I'll say his body type and the hits he took are a serious red flag.  Some of those hits the dude when he got hit, he looked like a rag doll.    Like how Apollo looked getting pummelled by Drago. 

I like Daniels still.  But IMO has three serious red flags.  1.  Can he take an NFL beating?  If he thinks college players can be tough, wait until he gets hit by someone like A. Winfield in open field in the pros.  2. When flushed out of the pocket, his go to move is to run. 

This isn't like Caleb who dances in the pocket and waits for an open receiver.  Daniels takes off a lot.  NFL defenses will adapt to that.  3.  He doesn't like throwing into tight windows from what I watched.  That's one major difference between college and the NFL.  In the NFL the coverage is much stickier.  He's not going to have Nabers, Thomas, Lacy wide open in the NFL like he does now.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched a lot of Daniels.  lol, I took a beating for pushing him on the Qb thread before the season unraveled for Howell.

But I'll say his body type and the hits he took are a serious red flag.  Some of those hits the dude when he got hit, he looked like a rag doll.    Like how Apollo looked getting pummelled by Drago. 

I don't think people get the issue, and it's kind of hard to explain. 

It's not that "everyone gets hit" it's not holding the ball, it's not something that van be fixed by sliding more (thought that would help too). It's the kinds of hits and the lack of the instinct to minimize the damage of them.

Here's the hit that ended RG3's Cleveland run

rg3-injury-hit-8227608ceeb9926a.gif

What do you see? He should have slid? His body type led to injuries? Yep, no argument. 

But the reason I'm showing it is because look at how he takes that hit. He's completely upright, he sees it coming and yet he is completely lacking any innate knowledge of how to turn or duck to lessen the impact. He takes the maximum possible damage even though he had plenty of time to avoid it. 

That happened a lot for Griffin. 

I see the same thing in Daniels. That's what I see in those huge, teeth-shattering hits he takes. And if it doesn't worry you in a skinny guy who runs a lot, I am not sure what to tell you.

But if you just think "Oh well, everyone gets hit. Nothing to worry about," then you're probably the kind of person who doesn't worry about signing/drafting players with bad injury histories and then calls it "bad luck" when they keep getting hurt. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Mel Kiper and Field Yates debate who we should take at 2. 

A dude whose been doing the draft for forty years should be smart enough to understand why no sane GM on any planet would trade away the 8th overall pick in a really strong draft for a QB who remains an unknown, despite going what, 10th, three years ago, when said unproven, question mark QB, also only has 1 more cheap cost controlled year on his contract before the option has to be picked up (or not)? Utterly asinine, and I am a huge Fields fan, and huge Kiper guy (dude takes a ton of ----, but he basically invented the draft as entertainment with espn 40 years ago through his own hobbyism with it, I'll always appreciate him for that, if not his takes), but this take is so beyond stupid its mind boggling. 

Whats annoying is that Yates never discussed the very real possibility that the Falcons due trade for him, but only offer a 2nd or a 3rd and then a 2nd conditional pick from day 3 this year or next. It's simple. No chance, if they're sane, are they trading a top 8 pick for Fields w/zero cost control left beyond '24, but it's beyond easy to imagine that they'd offer say a '24 2nd, and a conditional '25 4th that can turn into a 3rd if he reaches certain incentives (say a top 15 QBR?). Not difficult. 

12 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't think people get the issue, and it's kind of hard to explain. 

It's not that "everyone gets hit" it's not holding the ball, it's not something that van be fixed by sliding more (thought that would help too). It's the kinds of hits and the lack of the instinct to minimize the damage of them.

Here's the hit that ended RG3's Cleveland run

rg3-injury-hit-8227608ceeb9926a.gif

What do you see? He should have slid? His body type led to injuries? Yep, no argument. 

But the reason I'm showing it is because look at how he takes that hit. He's completely upright, he sees it coming and yet he is completely lacking any innate knowledge of how to turn or duck to lessen the impact. He takes the maximum possible damage even though he had plenty of time to avoid it. 

That happened a lot for Griffin. 

I see the same thing in Daniels. That's what I see in those huge, teeth-shattering hits he takes. And if it doesn't worry you in a skinny guy who runs a lot, I am not sure what to tell you.

But if you just think "Oh well, everyone gets hit. Nothing to worry about," then you're probably the kind of person who doesn't worry about signing/drafting players with bad injury histories and then calls it "bad luck" when they keep getting hurt. 

Agree.

I was at the game RG3's rookie year against Cincy where they were just pummeling him, it was tough to watch because when he would get hit his body would fling in the air and it would look brutal

Same vibe with Daniels.  I am still intrigued by Daniels but I'd go Maye over him for this reason among some other ones.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

There’s going to be about 500 pages of debate on what we should do between now and when we inevitably draft Drake Maye.

I think it’s a foregone conclusion at this point. We should focus discussion on our other picks. It’s Maye. Unless Chicago doesn’t take Williams. Then it’s Williams.

Thats that. 

Now, how do we get Legette, Corum, Fuaga, Beebe and Stover?

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it’s a foregone conclusion at this point. We should focus discussion on our other picks. It’s Maye. Unless Chicago doesn’t take Williams. Then it’s Williams.

Thats that. 

Speaking of Stover not that am hung up on him per se but watching the playoffs stings watching all these young tight ends that many of us wanted. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Thats that. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952m5vznl1wigumnf00hc

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Thats that. 

Just like it was a foregone conclusion at this time last year that the Bears were taking Bryce Young lol (the Panthers did not make the trade with them until mid-March)

18 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Just like it was a foregone conclusion at this time last year that the Bears were taking Bryce Young lol (the Panthers did not make the trade with them until mid-March)

(It doesn’t have to be the Bears at 1. Hence why I said it’ll be Maye unless Williams doesn’t go 1. Yes I said Chicago, but I’d assume you could fill in the blanks)