Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

IMO, this guy gives the best breakdown I’ve seen of Williams’ and Maye’s strengths and weaknesses. I agree with most of his points and think they’re really insightful. 

Throwing in the MHJ video as a bonus. 

I like the analysis and in particular the negatives on Maye are what kind of drive me crazy about him when I watch film. But his analysis of Maye's positives is also very encouraging. Would like to see his analysis on Daniels too, since in the end I think we are looking at a choice of Maye vs Daniels.

Been watching video of those two and I wanted to mention a couple things I notice with each of them. First with Maye, I am concerned about his ball placement on quick outs and screens. I think his footwork throws off his accuracy on quick throws outside the hashes. He seems to have trouble re-setting his platform to the wide angles. But more than anything when I watch video of the UNC offense, especially this past fall I think......who TF is coaching that team? It seems like the entire team (including Maye) is suffering from a lack of good coaching in fundamentals and mechanics. Receivers run sloppy routes and seem to not understand the overall play concepts. They end up with multiple receivers in the same place. They read blitzes wqrong. The O line doesn't adjust to stunts well. All of the weaknesses that the guy outlines with Maye in the above video should be coachable, but they didn't seem to get addressed in college. In fact he didn't improve really from 2022 to 2023. Mack Brown's staff seems to be out to lunch.

Also one thing he doesn't point out about Maye is this....watch how laughably awful his "fake throws" are. Watch the play about 5 seconds into this vid. This is just going through the motions and he did it all the time in 2023 - watch just about any game film. What's even the point of sticking your hand up in the air? It looks nothing like a throw, is not fooling anyone and should have got some coaching attention.

Or :56 into this video:

Come on, Drake! LOL!

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He sat out the bowl game.  He's going to declare.

I think you’re right.

I don’t rule out a transfer, though. He’s already done that once, but with the way college ball is I don’t know the rules anymore anyways :ols:

13 hours ago, e16bball said:

Ty’Ron Hopper (#8), merit watching for Day 3 as well.

I have Hopper ranked high in my ILB rankings - though be can play both ILB/OLB positions. I like him a lot and think he is a Day 2 guy not Day 3 personally.

Now some little things I notice about Daniels. Agree with many analysts who have pointed out that once he gets moved off of his spot, he is generally no longer looking down the field at his receivers, trying to throw. Unlike Caleb or Drake he is ONLY looking to run. But of course he is really good at it.

Everyone is concerned about how he will hold up physically in the NFL. Well, on that front this little habit of his is maddening: when he is scrambling, as he approaches defenders and he knows he is going to get hit, he actually jumps into the air. It's like the thinks he is making a jump cut or something. It leaves him extremely vulnerable to huge, body-slamming tackles. It's literally the opposite of what he should do - slide down. RG3 was terrible at sliding. So was Jason Campbell. But at least those guys were not jumping up in the air at the point of contact. Watch at about 1:22 of this video:

You can also see him do it a little bit at about :50 of the same video but he doesn't get hit as hard.It's just a really bad practice for a slight guy on a football field.

Maye has parts of his game that need polishing for sure but none of them are major red flags. He checks off every other box though when looking for prospects. 

Pair him with a legit offensive coach and we will be contending for Super Bowls by 2026 at the latest.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Receivers run sloppy routes and seem to not understand the overall play concepts. They end up with multiple receivers in the same place. They read blitzes wqrong. The O line doesn't adjust to stunts well. All of the weaknesses that the guy outlines with Maye in the above video should be coachable, but they didn't seem to get addressed in college.

Literally sounds like EB's coaching schemes! On a serious note though, they should all be correctable then.

I love the idea of Daniels but even after just watching highlights of his best plays this year for LSU I was pretty much flipped to being fully on board with Maye as the ball of clay for our next playcaller. 

Maye isn’t perfect, but he’s making NFL throws all over the place, even with his flaws you can easily see the projection. Daniels is bombing teams but in a way that makes me intrigued to draft his weapons, not just him. Very little self preservation on his runs, which is the opposite of the Lamar experience, and he doesn’t look alien fast like Lamar did. As a runner he has moves, he’s not just straight like like RG3 mostly was. But he doesn’t have that spidey sense for imminent contact like Lamar does. His arm is great but he’s not usually fitting in tight window throws down the seam like I see Maye do routinely.

I’d get excited about the potential of Daniels if we went that way because he technically has all the tools. But Maye already looks like an NFL QB…just one that needs NFL coaching to clean up some of the sloppiness that he can get away with in college. Thinking about the howitzer this dude could have if he ever set his damn feet and threw from his legs up through his hips and body, it’s absurd. He has a plus NFL arm and accuracy just throwing from the waist up most of the time right now. Sometimes it’s entirely just his arm as he fades back and away in the pocket. That can be fixed. Maye also is still kind of lanky for his size. He has room to really fill out into a big solid dude 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

.who TF is coaching that team? It seems like the entire team (including Maye) is suffering from a lack of good coaching in fundamentals and mechanics. Receivers run sloppy routes and seem to not understand the overall play concepts. They end up with multiple receivers in the same place. They read blitzes wqrong. The O line doesn't adjust to stunts well.

Sounds like an EB run offense. In fairness to Maye he had a new OC this past season. So it was his first year in that system. I do agree with you about some footwork issues though. He tends to get his feet tangled up int he pocket at times. It is the reason I think WIlliams is the better prospect. His footwork and pocket awareness are uncanny. 

52 minutes ago, Conn said:

I love the idea of Daniels but even after just watching highlights of his best plays this year for LSU I was pretty much flipped to being fully on board with Maye as the ball of clay for our next playcaller. 

Maye isn’t perfect, but he’s making NFL throws all over the place, even with his flaws you can easily see the projection. Daniels is bombing teams but in a way that makes me intrigued to draft his weapons, not just him. Very little self preservation on his runs, which is the opposite of the Lamar experience, and he doesn’t look alien fast like Lamar did. As a runner he has moves, he’s not just straight like like RG3 mostly was. But he doesn’t have that spidey sense for imminent contact like Lamar does. His arm is great but he’s not usually fitting in tight window throws down the seem like I see Maye do routinely.

I’d get excited about the potential of Daniels if we went that way because he technically has all the tools. But Maye already looks like an NFL QB…just one that needs NFL coaching to clean up some of the sloppiness that he can get away with in college. Thinking about the howitzer this dude could have if he ever set his damn feet and threw from his legs up through his hips and body, it’s absurd. He has a plus NFL arm and accuracy just throwing from the waist up most of the time right now. Sometimes it’s entirely just his arm as he fades back and away in the pocket. That can be fixed. Maye also is still kind of lanky for his size. He has room to really fill out into a big solid dude 

Absolutely. And he’s 21 years old. His family are all giants so it’s possible he grows another inch and easily will put on weight, unlike some of these 23 year olds.

Edited by seantaylor=god
He’s 21
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Now some little things I notice about Daniels. Agree with many analysts who have pointed out that once he gets moved off of his spot, he is generally no longer looking down the field at his receivers, trying to throw. Unlike Caleb or Drake he is ONLY looking to run. But of course he is really good at it.

Everyone is concerned about how he will hold up physically in the NFL. Well, on that front this little habit of his is maddening: when he is scrambling, as he approaches defenders and he knows he is going to get hit, he actually jumps into the air. It's like the thinks he is making a jump cut or something. It leaves him extremely vulnerable to huge, body-slamming tackles. It's literally the opposite of what he should do - slide down. RG3 was terrible at sliding. So was Jason Campbell. But at least those guys were not jumping up in the air at the point of contact. Watch at about 1:22 of this video:

You can also see him do it a little bit at about :50 of the same video but he doesn't get hit as hard.It's just a really bad practice for a slight guy on a football field.

Yeah. I posted some gifs of him a few pages back getting clobbered. I dont hate him as a prospect. But he is going to need a lot more work than either Caleb or Maye to adjust to the NFL game. If you draft him you are most likely looking at an RG3 2012 type offense early in his career. Quick reads then go.

3 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Also one thing he doesn't point out about Maye is this....watch how laughably awful his "fake throws" are. Watch the play about 5 seconds into this vid. This is just going through the motions and he did it all the time in 2023 - watch just about any game film. What's even the point of sticking your hand up in the air? It looks nothing like a throw, is not fooling anyone and should have got some coaching attention.

It's part of the mechanical rhythm of running a draw from an RPO.

• Thumb up 1

23 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not much I can find on Baylor Cupp either, but he's definitely my day TE crush

I remember this guy from his recruitment out of H.S.  He was one of the top TE recruits of the past seven years or so and a top 20 national recruit in 2019.  I'm looking back through 247's grades and only Arik Gilbert had a higher grade than him, and only JaTavion Sanders, Jeremy Ruckert, Michael Mayer, Duce Robinson, and Luke Reynolds had as high of a grade and similar national rankings.

For some reason he chose to go to A&M even though they had Jalen Wydermeir (when he was still really good).  Guessing that A&M booster money was hard to pass up.  Sounds like he had some really serious injuries that kept him from playing football his first three years in school.  Don't know how his body is now, but the raw talent and pedigree are certainly interesting for a late rounder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I remember this guy from his recruitment out of H.S.  He was one of the top TE recruits of the past seven years or so and a top 20 national recruit in 2019.  I'm looking back through 247's grades and only Arik Gilbert had a higher grade than him, and only JaTavion Sanders, Jeremy Ruckert, Michael Mayer, Duce Robinson, and Luke Reynolds had as high of a grade and similar national rankings.

For some reason he chose to go to A&M even though they had Jalen Wydermeir (when he was still really good).  Guessing that A&M booster money was hard to pass up.  Sounds like he had some really serious injuries that kept him from playing football his first three years in school.  Don't know how his body is now, but the raw talent and pedigree are certainly interesting for a late rounder.

Blazing fast and good size, good blocker. I would definitely take a flyer on him. He'll probably blow up the combine.

31 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

aj2ctn3xryu31.jpg

IMG_3865.jpeg

I watched some of him from back at Arizona State the other day, and even then his deep ball was absolutely remarkable. He can drop it in over the top better than most guys you’ll ever see.

He’s still QB3 for me, in large part because I think Maye is also very, very good at dropping those deep balls out of the sky, so he doesn’t pick up as much ground on QB2 as you’d think. I also feel like the ability to make the mid-range throws (let’s say 10-25 yards) proves to be more important than the deep balls at the NFL level, and I think Maye substantially exceeds him on those. 

But the deep throw is absolutely a superpower for Daniels.

Ok...new GM, obviously he wasn't in full control in San Fran, but rumor has it he had more influence over later selections than early selections.

49ers are definitely not married to RAS. They've struck gold on picks with great and poor RAS.

image.png.9887f6e45114f4b8131f72b284700be4.png

image.png.18c2cf5f058edce6bc1a12acd18ed661.png

image.png.1dfcbbe8a50cfec9ab96cad3f7ad1bef.png

image.png.620d9032b274078b6e5d9a863602fd5d.png

image.png.bd76f3f6a22d9c2cb4529401c169a756.png

image.png.7bc0dcbb3aaf90701c6fc77a7ff06f81.png

image.png.f1d4f1bb49dbf662969621f351e47230.png

Listening to an interview with Peters and he mentions the 49ers DL coach wants and their Analytics department tracks 2 yard (or 2 step?) burst out of DL. They drafted this guy, and one of the main reasons why was he gets out of and upfield from his stance quickly. 10 yard split kind of tracks that.

image.png.43c37e4f92f0b1b20645e9e99d4fbbc0.png

That seems like the opposite of Chase Young, in that he does not get out of his stance quickly. I don't know who was the major factor in trading for Chase, but it sounds a bit different in methodology. I wonder if whoever our DL coach happens to be, and what they're looking for immediately, if quick burst off the snap is not what we go after. Or if that trend continues.

Interesting twitter thread here. The last post interests me the most. If Caleb Williams does not declare by the 15th he could still enter the supplemental draft. Where WE would have the first pick because it is based on record. Crazy stuff to think about.