Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

To the folks saying it's easy to get a LBer in FA.

What game changing LBer has been in FA in recent years? Wagner for one year at a ridiculous cost and then went back to Seattle?

I think that's it. You can get gap fillers like Holcomb or Barton, but not great LBers.

LB, like TE is a strong day two draft position.

You have to draft your LBers and TEs if you want above average ones.

The Bears got Tremaine Edmunds and TJ Edwards this past off season.  Both are really good players.  If the Bears had not traded Roquan Smith he probably hits free agency.  Offball linebackers are really hard to franchise because of the outdated way the NFL defines the position.   They include Edge players from 3-4 systems in their definition of LB'ers, so when they franchise tag is computed averaging out the 10 highest paid players at the position, its almost all Edge players, so the franchise tag is prohibitive for like almost all offball linebackers.   Its also a reason why we almost definitely won't exercise the 5th year option for Jamin Davis.  Even though the 5th year option is cheaper than the franchise tag, its still computed using a lot of offball LB data and unless a guy is in line for top of the market offball LB money (like a Fred Warner or Roquan Smith) it wouldn't make sense to exercise the 5th year option.

To me, Fred Warner is elite and Roquan Smith is very close to elite.  I don't know if I think there are any other gamechanging offball LB'ers in the NFL.

• Like 1

There is an elephant in the room that we may have some guys fairly suited to the 3-4 right now…

Obviously we’d be multiple in our fronts… but Davis may be able to be a 3-4 OLB. Mayo can function as a 3-4 ILB. Payne and Allen can literally function anywhere on the 3-4 front. Mathis can be a nose if he’s ever healthy. Ridgeway can probably function on the 3-4 DL. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

What do we think he gets after he clears waviers?  He will not get 16 million. 

For the right price he would be a good get.  Unfortunately I don't know what that price is.   In his best days, he was a turnover machine (that was kind of his specialty).  By contrast if you based his projection off of what he did this year following the injuries, he may be like a Cole Holcomb level player.  In the little bit he played last year and what he played this season, he is a LB grading in the 60's. 

CBS Sports has 6 QB's going in the top 20 with 5 going in the top 10 picks. This is huge for us. Right now we sit at #7 and if we lose out we could get a nice haul to trade back just a few picks for someone who wants a specific QB. In a draft supposedly loaded with Offensive linemen we could make out big time. We need to nail the new GM....it has to be someone who's proven to know how to build a team from the ground up. This is gonna be one hell of an off-season.....Harris and company have some serious decisions to make in pin-pointing the person who's gonna steer the ship moving forward.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

There is an elephant in the room that we may have some guys fairly suited to the 3-4 right now…

Obviously we’d be multiple in our fronts… but Davis may be able to be a 3-4 OLB. Mayo can function as a 3-4 ILB. Payne and Allen can literally function anywhere on the 3-4 front. Mathis can be a nose if he’s ever healthy. Ridgeway can probably function on the 3-4 DL. 

Agree. Floated that thought out there a while back too.

17 hours ago, method man said:

I am normally anti-TE in the first round too. I would have hated taking Mayer, for example, in rd 1 last year.

However, this is a true two way Y TE who has been the #1 weapon at the top football program in the nation. He apparently runs a 4.5 and is a heck of an athlete and I feel his skillset will translate really well to the pros. The only real ding is that he does not have elite size.

He seems like he would be an enhancer in both the running game with his blocking (and the occasional carry) and in the passing game as both a safety blanket and downfield threat for Sam & offering better chip help for the tackles.

I think the Bowers comp to Kittle that I read about so much isn't hyperbole

As I watched TEs, I cooled off Mayer after the combine.  I still liked him but he didn't make my top 20, my guys list, Laporta did.

I bring up Laporta because his charm to me was he can get open and YAC, YAC, YAC.  He is also a better blocker IMO than some gave him credit for.  All of that and more applies to Bowers.   

I struggle though with taking him over Alt or Fashnu.  The thing that sucks about Ron's off season is he boxed us on IMO on the O line via neglect.

I think Marvin Harrison and Brock Bowers are elite playmakers and we need them.  Better IMO than the tackles.  But we so desperately need a tackle.

I know I can't turn down Harrison for the tackles if by chance we can take him.   I think I can turn down Bowers for them but it will hurt.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the Bowers comp to Kittle that I read about so much isn't hyperbole

As I watched TEs, I cooled off Mayer after the combine.  I still liked him but he didn't make my top 20, my guys list, Laporta did.

I bring up Laporta because his charm to me was he can get open and YAC, YAC, YAC.  He is also a better blocker IMO than some gave him credit for.  All of that and more applies to Bowers.   

I struggle though with taking him over Alt or Fashnu.  The thing that sucks about Ron's off season is he boxed us on IMO on the O line via neglect.

I think Marvin Harrison and Brock Bowers are elite playmakers and we need them.  Better IMO than the tackles.  But we so desperately need a tackle.

I know I can't turn down Harrison for the tackles if by chance we can take him.   I think I can turn down Bowers for them but it will hurt.

My thesis here is that the two 2nd round picks should be enough to get back into the mid 1st first to grab one of these great RT prospects. My early view on things is that the only LT prospect who immediately jumps off the page as having elite upside is Mims - Fashanu and Alt both seem like guys who will be solid LTs but not special. Fuaga, Latham and Kingsley, on the other hand, all seem like guys who have a chance to end up as top 5 RTs in this league

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, method man said:

My thesis here is that the two 2nd round picks should be enough to get back into the mid 1st first to grab one of these great RT prospects. My early view on things is that the only LT prospect who immediately jumps off the page as having elite upside is Mims - Fashanu and Alt both seem like guys who will be solid LTs but not special. Fuaga, Latham and Kingsley, on the other hand, all seem like guys who have a chance to end up as top 5 RTs in this league

I'll have much stronger opinions when I have time soon to watch them.  But yeah in theory I've talked on and off in the last week about the same thing, trading up if need be with those picks or waiting for the 2nd round pick for a tackle.  But I talked about that in the context of taking Marvin Harrison Jr., if possible.  Would I do that for Bowers, too?  Not sure.  I am back and forth on it. 

But I won't have an opinion that I am sticking with until I actually watch the tackles which I'll do soon.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I think we should (obviously) be rooting for Kyler and Fields to ball out, prove their franchise value, and win some games down the stretch.

Either those teams pass on QB, or play themselves out of the QB spot. Chicago is interesting simply for the fact that they seem locked in to the #1 pick via Carolina. 

My crystal ball based on the above projections for top picks?

1. Chicago - Caleb Williams (trade Fields to Atlanta for a 2nd)

2. NY Giants - Drake Maye

3. Arizona - Marvin Harrison, Jr.

4. New England - Daniels or Penix

5. Chicago - Could they trade this pick to recoup some draft capital - to a team that wants the top OT, Bowers, or the 4th QB?

6. Washington - See Chicago 

Little Mock Draft With Trades:

1. Chicago - Caleb Williams, QB USC

2. NY Giants - Drake Maye, QB UNC

3. Arizona - Marvin Harrison, Jr, WR Ohio State

4. New England - Jayden Daniels, QB LSU

5. Tampa Bay - Michael Penix, Jr, QB Washinton (Trade 10, 41 and 2025 2nd for #5)

6. Las Vegas - JJ McCarthy, QB Michigan (Trade 15, 78, 2025 1st for #6)

7. Tennessee - Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT Penn State

8. Atlanta - Dallas Turner, Edge Alabama

9. Green Bay - Joe Alt, OT Notre Dame

10. Chicago - Jared Verse, Edge Florida State

11. NY Jets - JC Latham, OT Alabama

12. LA Chargers - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB Alabama

13. LA Rams - Brock Bowers, TE Georgia

14. Washington - Taliese Fuaga, OT Oregon State

Move down, add #78 and a potentially high 2025 1st, and draft an OT at #14. 

Teams will be wanting to come up for QBs. Tennessee, Vegas, Rams, Packers, Jets ... all possibilities. In this scenario, Chicago sends Fields to Atlanta, taking them out of the QB mix in this mock. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, KDawg said:

Shaq Leonard was just released. Getting him would be a huge get. Problem is… this regime has no reason to sign him.

2 back surgeries and nerve damage - and nerve damage is not something that automatically gets better with time. Colts have been taking him off the field on 3rd downs.

Worth bringing in for a look when he clears waivers but he's just not been the same guy since the nerve damage and surgeries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

C'mon, how are they going to take Caleb Williams AND trade Justin Fields also? That just makes NO sense. God.

You would expect them to draft Caleb Williams and keep Fields? I'm confused. If you're poking fun at the Chicago reference for Washington, I meant see Chicago for what they do with pick #5, which is trade back to a team that wants to come up for a QB and get draft capital haha

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins