Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I don't think he's quite worth that anymore. He'll only have 2 years left under contract and it's not cheap. Roughly $11 million per year. Add in that despite him being a very athletic 6'6, he's struggled to reach the end zone. So far into his 3rd season, he only has 4 career TD's. Despite being so athletic, he's also struggled to create. He's only averaging 2.9 Yards After Catch this season. In comparison, our Logan Thomas is averaging 4.6 YAC.

Pitts isn't worth the hype. He came in being labelled as some generational superstar. Yeah yeah yeah I know Arthur Smith sucks blah blah, but if you're THAT good you'll still produce. Even Jonnu Smith the backup has come in and put up some decent numbers.

Pitts just has not lived up to the hype. High draft pick TEs usually don't. That's why I wouldn't take one early. Round 2-4? Absolutely, but we may have missed that boat this past season when some real good ones were taken in that range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I don't think he's quite worth that anymore. He'll only have 2 years left under contract and it's not cheap. Roughly $11 million per year. Add in that despite him being a very athletic 6'6, he's struggled to reach the end zone. So far into his 3rd season, he only has 4 career TD's. Despite being so athletic, he's also struggled to create. He's only averaging 2.9 Yards After Catch this season. In comparison, our Logan Thomas is averaging 4.6 YAC.

I dont know, I think he could do well with Howell. It's definitely a risk. I think Matt Ryan was gone when he was drafted?  He has not had a Qb as good as Howell, he could take off here, but it is a risk. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Pitts isn't worth the hype. He came in being labelled as some generational superstar. Yeah yeah yeah I know Arthur Smith sucks blah blah, but if you're THAT good you'll still produce. Even Jonnu Smith the backup has come in and put up some decent numbers.

Pitts just has not lived up to the hype. High draft pick TEs usually don't. That's why I wouldn't take one early. Round 2-4? Absolutely, but we may have missed that boat this past season when some real good ones were taken in that range.

Paging @Conn

London, Pitts and Bijan have all underachieved relative to draft slot. Think that is them or coaching? Smith has admitted stupidly to using some of these guys as decoys for Allgeier, Hollins, Smith, etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, method man said:

Paging @Conn

London, Pitts and Bijan have all underachieved relative to draft slot. Think that is them or coaching? Smith has admitted stupidly to using some of these guys as decoys for Allgeier, Hollins, Smith, etc

Bijan is legit I'll give you that.

London isn't that good. He had problems separating in college. If you can't get open in college you're not getting open in the NFL. 

Pitts isn't worth the hype like I thought he wouldn't be. High draft pick TEs just don't pan out.

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Bijan is legit I'll give you that.

London isn't that good. He had problems separating in college. If you can't get open in college you're not getting open in the NFL. 

Pitts isn't worth the hype like I thought he wouldn't be. High draft pick TEs just don't pan out.

Isn’t the core issue with London that he did his best work in the slot coming out of USC and that ATL had playing as an outside receiver mostly?

Pitts had a 1000 yard season as a rookie (becoming the only guy to do so as a TE besides Ditka). Since then, he has had Mariota and Ridder as his QBs. the guy had his 2nd best game of the season in the one game someone halfway competent like Heinicke started. Even this year, he is on pace for a 700 yard season

The one thing that he has gotten out of playing in ATL is that he has become a better blocker, not good but competent

• Like 1

7 hours ago, method man said:

Isn’t the core issue with London that he did his best work in the slot coming out of USC and that ATL had playing as an outside receiver mostly?

Pitts had a 1000 yard season as a rookie (becoming the only guy to do so as a TE besides Ditka). Since then, he has had Mariota and Ridder as his QBs. the guy had his 2nd best game of the season in the one game someone halfway competent like Heinicke started. Even this year, he is on pace for a 700 yard season

The one thing that he has gotten out of playing in ATL is that he has become a better blocker, not good but competent

I think we've got some wrong takes on London's college history. He played everywhere, slot and out wide, and I think more of his targets came when out wide. He separated well in college when running his best routes. But his QB was a slow operator with a slow arm, so the timing routes he ran in college that he also separated on became contested when the ball actually got there.

He worked us over when we played for 125 yards. This was also his best game from a volume standpoint.

So far, he's not separating deep in the NFL, but he's still making plays down the field using his 6'4 frame to box out and catch with extension. His best routes are still the same as his best in college. In's, Out's, Hitches, Comebacks, Slants, etc. Catching the ball 8-12 yards down the field is his money spot.

He had 850ish yards as a rookie and is on pace for 900ish yards this season. I'm not sure if he'll ever turn into the all around stud he was drafted to be, but he can move the chains really well. 68% of his catches are for 1st downs this season and it was 67% last season, and that's a lot for someone who gets 100+ targets a season. That's the best on his team and would be the best on our team (among guys that get a decent # of targets). I think his production would improve with Howell. If your QB has an arm and throws on time, then all of London's best routes would play up.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 2

I think I remember Drake only played on the left side of the field in college, or only very rarely on the right side of the field.  Clay Helton ran a really weird and limited system.

I think Drake can be a Pro-Bowler in a better offense.  He's got #1 receiver swagger and he is really physical and can beat up on the DBs covering him like Mike Evans does.  The passing game is just too limited in Atlanta for him to reach his full potential there.  Same for Pitts.

That said, I'm not sure our offense is the best fit for him either.  We can barely get our two best receivers enough targets as it is, despite leading the league in passing attempts.  I think the only receivers who have put up 1,000 yard seasons in an Andy Reid offense are Tyreek Hill and prime Terrell Owens, and neither of those guys lasted particularly long in the system.  It's just not a very good offense for the productivity of an outside receiver.

• Like 3

Drake London is exactly what this offense needs. A big bodied target who can make contested catches and move the chains. 

I actually think in the context of this offense he could act as the KCWCO tight end…

What I think this offense really neglects is smaller, precise route running receivers. Which we have an abundance of.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Drake London is exactly what this offense needs. A big bodied target who can make contested catches and move the chains. 

I actually think in the context of this offense he could act as the KCWCO tight end…

What I think this offense really neglects is smaller, precise route running receivers. Which we have an abundance of.

You nailed it. Another example of the staff not using the players they have to their strengths.

Also as @Going Commandopointed out in another thread, while it is nice to see the ball spread out to so many but in doing so, the top play makers are not getting enough touches.  They need more opportunities with the ball in their hands to make things happen.

Edited by DWinzit

Desean Jackson had the best year of his career the year after Reid got fired, when Chip Kelly came in.  He got 40 more catches than the year before.  Zach Ertz, Brian Westbrook, and Brent Celek were more productive and heavily featured in the passing game than Jackson and Jeremy Maclin were.

Probably getting a new system next year, but if we keep this one, then Terry and Jahan are screwed.  We need to be getting a TE who is actually a legit weapon, and upgrade our RB talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Desean Jackson had the best year of his career the year after Reid got fired, when Chip Kelly came in.  He got 40 more catches than the year before.  Zach Ertz, Brian Westbrook, and Brent Celek were more productive and heavily featured in the passing game than Jackson and Jeremy Maclin were.

Probably getting a new system next year, but if we keep this one, then Terry and Jahan are screwed.  We need to be getting a TE who is actually a legit weapon, and upgrade our RB talent.

But Ertz and Westbrook were legit ballers. None of our RBs or TEs are that dynamic. Thats what makes it so frustrating. 

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

One of the reasons I do not want Bienemy as HC. He's a good OC, but I don't think he's a head coach.

Bowers is such a good run blocker, and Van Pran is the best center prospect I've seen so far this year.  Cat-quick off the snap, and a genuine people-mover.  He creates lanes against SEC linemen and linebackers than we could stroll through.  He's good and I'm seeing just mid-late second round projections for him.  That feels low, but if not, he'd be a nice pick with our natural second rounder.

Bowers is legitimately the best tight end prospect I've ever seen.  Blocks like Kittle, gets open like Kelce, catches like Randy Moss.  He's got perennial All Pro potential and I would consider doing the unthinkable and trading up for him if we're in range.  Think of what a boon he would be for Sam Howell.  If you want to give him a Pat Mahomes-like situation to play in, Bowers would be the key to that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Maye was awful today against Clemson. All QB's have a bad game now and then. But he was real bad. A bunch of scouts there as well. Ugly stuff.

This is why every time someone says, “THE CLASS IN ‘XX IS THE BEST IN DECADES” I have to laugh to myself. 

10 months ago people were falling over themselves for Williams and/or Maye. They would have sold their soul at that point for a shot at either of them.

Now? Both look beyond mortal. Are they talented? Sure. Does everyone have a bad game? Sure. Are the NFL doomed? Absolutely not. But they sure as hell aren’t the generational locks many thought they’d be.

I wouldn’t trust either of them enough to trade up. Penix had a rough one yesterday, too. Bo Nix looks like a college level QB. Sanders is a bit coddled. 

This class went from can’t miss to “well, I hope they realize their potential!” Fairly quickly. 

Make no mistake… the potential is there. But it’s not a lock.

Also, in my opinion, the best two actual football players in this class as of now, in my eyes, are Harrison and Bowers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

This is why every time someone says, “THE CLASS IN ‘XX IS THE BEST IN DECADES” I have to laugh to myself. 

10 months ago people were falling over themselves for Williams and/or Maye. They would have sold their soul at that point for a shot at either of them.

Now? Both look beyond mortal. Are they talented? Sure. Does everyone have a bad game? Sure. Are the NFL doomed? Absolutely not. But they sure as hell aren’t the generational locks many thought they’d be.

I wouldn’t trust either of them enough to trade up. Penix had a rough one yesterday, too. Bo Nix looks like a college level QB. Sanders is a bit coddled. 

This class went from can’t miss to “well, I hope they realize their potential!” Fairly quickly. 

Make no mistake… the potential is there. But it’s not a lock.

Also, in my opinion, the best two actual football players in this class as of now, in my eyes, are Harrison and Bowers.

Agree with you completely. Add JJ McCarthy to that list as well. I dont see a NFL star out of him either. At least not at the QB position. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, Going Commando said:

I think I remember Drake only played on the left side of the field in college, or only very rarely on the right side of the field.  Clay Helton ran a really weird and limited system.

I think Drake can be a Pro-Bowler in a better offense.  He's got #1 receiver swagger and he is really physical and can beat up on the DBs covering him like Mike Evans does.  The passing game is just too limited in Atlanta for him to reach his full potential there.  Same for Pitts.

That said, I'm not sure our offense is the best fit for him either.  We can barely get our two best receivers enough targets as it is, despite leading the league in passing attempts.  I think the only receivers who have put up 1,000 yard seasons in an Andy Reid offense are Tyreek Hill and prime Terrell Owens, and neither of those guys lasted particularly long in the system.  It's just not a very good offense for the productivity of an outside receiver.

We may have a very different situation next season depending who the HC and OC is. But if EB is still here a lot of the quick game runs through the RB and TE position. 

Something to think about when thinking about roster construction and player evaluations. 

DeSean Jackson had a couple of thousand yard seasons under Reid as well. Terry will probably break that mark this season as well, and I think he’s still managing that turf toe.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Harrison is my slam dunk #1 overall. 

I dont think this QB class is as good as 2020. 

Bears could possibly walk out of this with Harrison and one of the top 2 QBs.

17 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Bowers is such a good run blocker, and Van Pran is the best center prospect I've seen so far this year.  Cat-quick off the snap, and a genuine people-mover.  He creates lanes against SEC linemen and linebackers than we could stroll through.  He's good and I'm seeing just mid-late second round projections for him.  That feels low, but if not, he'd be a nice pick with our natural second rounder.

Bowers is legitimately the best tight end prospect I've ever seen.  Blocks like Kittle, gets open like Kelce, catches like Randy Moss.  He's got perennial All Pro potential and I would consider doing the unthinkable and trading up for him if we're in range.  Think of what a boon he would be for Sam Howell.  If you want to give him a Pat Mahomes-like situation to play in, Bowers would be the key to that.

If we are picking in the 8-10 range he could be right there assuming a couple of QBs go first 3 or 4 picks. 

If say Bowers and Joe Alt are on the board who do you pick?

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

We may have a very different situation next season depending who the HC and OC is. But if EB is still here a lot of the quick game runs through the RB and TE position. 

Something to think about when thinking about roster construction and player evaluations. 

DeSean Jackson had a couple of thousand yard seasons under Reid as well. Terry will probably break that mark this season as well, and I think he’s still managing that turf toe.

Bears could possibly walk out of this with Harrison and one of the top 2 QBs.

If we are picking in the 8-10 range he could be right there assuming a couple of QBs go first 3 or 4 picks. 

Depends on where they rank, to be honest. And you have to factor in positional value and depth. 

Last year we took Forbes first, passed on everyone on the board and took a corner early in the deep CB draft. That didn’t work out great for us. 

Does taking Bowers work out? Ya, probably. I doubt he busts, at least. Does taking Alt work out? Maybe. He’s got more of a bust factor but also is potentially more of an upgrade to the franchise because our OL is in shambles. 

We could probably find a tight end in later rounds that can help us versus finding a tackle in later rounds that can help us.

But in a vacuum it’s hard not to say Bowers. But in reality it’s a good convo to have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Bowers, without a moment of hesitation.  He's so much better than Alt or Fashanu.  Those guys are nice players who aren't particularly compelling.  Bowers is a truly special football player.  IMO this class has four special players in it who are head and shoulders better than the other early first round guys, and he's one of them.  Been the best player on a CFB dynasty the past three years as a TE, of all things, and if we have a chance to get him, we need to take it.  If he's on the board, picking one of the OTs over Bowers would be a need-reach deviating so far from BPA that I would take it as a sign that the new FO makes the same mistakes as the old one.

• Like 1