Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carroll Sues Trump for Defamation in Civil Rape Trial

China

8 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

That will be an attempt to get a mistrial.  Trump and his lawyers have already been instructed by Judge Kaplan what topics are off limits.  Guaranteed he will stray out of bounds and then the judge will have to instruct the jury to disregard, or remove them entirely while he chastises Trump and his lawyers.  If he's allowed to go too far it can be seen as tainting the jury and then there can be a motion for a mistrial.

Trump Takes Stand in Civil Case After a Delay of Days

Former President Donald J. Trump took the stand in his own defense on Thursday in the civil trial for E. Jean Carroll’s defamation lawsuit against him.

Mr. Trump headed to the witness box after the judge in the case, Lewis A. Kaplan, quizzed Mr. Trump’s lawyer, Alina Habba, about what the former president would say — an effort to ensure he did not stay beyond the scope of the case at hand. She moved quickly, asking him if he stood by his remarks.

“100 percent, yes,” Mr. Trump said. “She said something I considered a false accusation.” That last statement was stricken by the judge.  Asked if he intended to hurt Ms. Carroll, he said no. “I just wanted to defend myself, my family and frankly, the presidency,” Mr. Trump said.

The defense quickly rested.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

So Kaplan cites the legal precedent of "No do-overs."

I'm always fascinated by arcane legal jargon.

Which is odd, because I thought that's what an appeal was.

22 minutes ago, China said:

Which is odd, because I thought that's what an appeal was.

I'm thinking that the "by disappointed litigants" part is the important part of that statement. Retrials aren't granted based on the defendant being disappointed in the outcome.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Isn't this trial for new (additional) civil damages?

Yes, but that doesn't mean there can't be an appeal on the amount of damages, if Trump is "disappointed" in the outcome.

So the other day he posted 44 times in an hour abour Carroll, and he apparently threw another fit posting 37 times over two hours late last night.

'Obsessive' Trump posted about E. Jean Carroll 37 times in 2 hours in late-night meltdown

Donald Trump spent two hours overnight posting smears and denials against author E. Jean Carroll ahead of his possible testimony in a defamation trial.

The second defamation trial involving Carroll will resume Thursday following a three-day delay due to a juror's illness, and panelists on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" noted that Trump had made 37 late-night posts about Carroll before he possibly takes the stand.

Click on the link for the full article

Truly a very stable genius. Are we taking bets on how soon after this second trial ends that he gets sued again for his continued defamation?

• Thumb up 1

Verdict is in, waiting for specifics:

1. Did he defame? Y

$7.3 m

$11 m reputation repair

2. Did Trump act with malice? YY to both dates

$65 m punitive damages

$83.3m. Total

Has to post bond to appeal like with the $5 million judgment.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 7