Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help needed. I need MacGyver.

Die Hard

I’m desperate here. I decided to change the lens of my sunglasses. In doing so, I discovered that the last professional who changed my lens stripped the orbital screw head. 

Yada yada yada… my dumbass tried to separate the pieces of the frame by bending the screw and hoping to bend off the head leaving me enough screw body leftover to use a needle nose pliers to turn the rest of it out.

Of course, the body broke alright… but about 1 mm above the hole surface. Essentially filling the screw hole.

How the hell can I get that screw out?

Soldering a head? Create a flat head top to use a screwdriver? Drill an identical hold (through the screw body?

Any help/ideas are welcome. Am I screwed here?!?

Throwing these out is not an option. I’ve had them for 25 years… and they’re vintage.😂

E3838C81-49DC-426D-8D77-AE8B00BC5437.jpeg

3E7E5B17-8ACF-4119-8231-3C19806456CD.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I’m desperate here. I decided to change the lens of my sunglasses. In doing so, I discovered that the last professional who changed my lens stripped the orbital screw head. 

Yada yada yada… my dumbass tried to separate the pieces of the frame by bending the screw and hoping to bend off the head leaving me enough screw body leftover to use a needle nose pliers to turn the rest of it out.

Of course, the body broke alright… but about 1 mm above the hole surface. Essentially filling the screw hole.

How the hell can I get that screw out?

Soldering a head? Create a flat head top to use a screwdriver? Drill an identical hold (through the screw body?

Any help/ideas are welcome. Am I screwed here?!?

Throwing these out is not an option. I’ve had them for 25 years… and they’re vintage.😂

E3838C81-49DC-426D-8D77-AE8B00BC5437.jpeg

3E7E5B17-8ACF-4119-8231-3C19806456CD.jpeg

I'd send them to the manufacturer for repair. 

• Thanks 1

Something I did back in the day to remove nintendo's e-torx security screws from my gameboy games so I could replace the button-cell batteries used for save-games was to take a clear-plastic disposable bic pen, remove the ink cartridge so it's just the plastic shell, and then soften/melt the end of the pen over a lighter and jam it onto the screw to form around it, and let it sit there for a bit to harden.  Then turn the pen as if it were a screwdriver and presto: out comes security screw.  Not sure if it will work with a headless screw.

Bic-Ballpoint-Pen5.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Something I did back in the day to remove nintendo's e-torx security screws from my gameboy games so I could replace the button-cell batteries used for save-games was to take a clear-plastic disposable bic pen, remove the ink cartridge so it's just the plastic shell, and then soften/melt the end of the pen over a lighter and jam it onto the screw to form around it, and let it sit there for a bit to harden.  Then turn the pen as if it were a screwdriver and presto: out comes security screw.  Not sure if it will work with a headless screw.

Bic-Ballpoint-Pen5.jpg

dammit. That might have worked before I did what I did. I think there might be something here.

Thank you.

48 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'd send them to the manufacturer for repair. 

I guess I’ll follow up. Perhaps they’ll be more helpful for this issue. 

They weren’t as helpful previously with repair when I reached out. Because the model is so old, they said they don’t carry parts. I was directed to a 3rd party company in Japan for replacements parts.

I just got ambitious and tried to replace the lens… 

I already reached out to the Japanese company. But I suppose it couldnt hurt to also reach out to Oakley again. Thanks.

Edited by Die Hard

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Have you looked at a screw extractor kit?  Not sure how well you can get one to work with such a small precision screw without a head, but they might have something.  If you have a fine enough drill bit, you can try just drilling the screw out

Is there any specific profession that would own/utilize that kind of size of tool?

26 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Is there any specific profession that would own/utilize that kind of size of tool?

I'd guess a jeweler.  But screw extractors in general are available at your local hardware store.  Not sure how small they go down to.

Maybe something like this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/JXTZ-Extractor-Precision-Screwdriver-Stripped/dp/B09B3KCM7S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2SS7MVGDH45NS&keywords=precision+screw+extractor&qid=1677438587&s=industrial&sprefix=precisio+screw+extractor%2Cindustrial%2C263&sr=1-5

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work because the head is gone, though.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

@Die Hard

Take it to an optometrist. 

Contact the manufacturer. 

Mail in or contact americaneyeglassrepair.com

The optometrist was the professional that stripped the screw. 😂 I already went back… he’s on holidays but his staff tried briefly and failed.

Going to to the 2nd suggestion shortly.

Ill take a look at the site you provided. Thank you!

I was actually called that when I semi-repaired my Saturn before taking it to the shop...

The front spoiler thing had come disconnected in a small wreck (the Kia that hit me had to be towed :806:) and I crawled under it and could see the holes.  Had a wire coat hanger in the car.  Doubled it up and sent it through both holes and pulled it up to connect. 

Dude said, "That's amazing, how'd you figure it out?"  I laughed my ass off.  As if women can't do anything.