Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Love to see Mike Evans here, looks like he might walking for free.

At his age, wouldn't be shocked at a regress, but even a couple years of him going downward paired with Dotson and Terry would be a lethal WR core because of how good Evans is currently.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Were not getting quality vets on cheap 1 year deals. They can get that from contenders.

Were better off targeting guys like Ronald Darby in 2020 and Deandre Carter and Jd Mckissic in 2021. Unheralded guys thatll take a 1 year deal with anyone to try to make more in 2025.

Not sure I like that approach now, we should have higher standards than that. This isn’t Dan begging for FA anymore, so none of this ‘they’ll take a 1 year deal with anyone’ line IMO.

I do expect players with links to Peters/Quinn and the coordinators more than anything in those type of deals.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Love to see Mike Evans here, looks like he might walking for free.

At his age, wouldn't be shocked at a regress, but even a couple years of him going downward paired with Dotson and Terry would be a lethal WR core because of how good Evans is currently.

Bring him in to play and mentor our receivers and rookies. I'm not sure our FO is interested since I don't read any rumors linking us with him.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Assuming Winfield is out, my guys at safety are McKinney and then Dugger.

Kam Curl is very popular among the local media as to we need to bring him back no matter the price.  I disagree.  For starters, his dad saying he deserves to be the highest paid safety puts me off.   Curl is a good player but two things about him IMO make me question whether he's great.  1.  He doesn't make game changing plays.  He doesn't pick off the ball.  2.  Supposedly he's not a hot communicator in the backfield -- he's no Ed Reed who helps call the defense.

So Curl is really good tackler and consistent performer but he's not in my opinion a break the bank for safety.  Curl hasn't had a pick since his rookie season.  I basically half a season Quan Martin already almost has the same number of career picks as Curl.

Matt Bowen below picking matches to schemes

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39531864/2024-nfl-free-agency-best-team-fits-ranking-top-50-players-available-offseason

25. Kyle Dugger, S

Best team fit: Washington Commanders

Slotting the versatile Dugger into Dan Quinn's defense makes a lot of sense. With his rare position versatility at 6-foot-2 and 228 pounds, Dugger can be deployed at multiple levels in sub-package personnel to create impact production. Over four pro seasons with New England, Dugger has 343 tackles, 9 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Assuming Winfield is out, my guys at safety are McKinney and then Dugger.

Kam Curl is very popular among the local media as to we need to bring him back no matter the price.  I disagree.  For starters, his dad saying he deserves to be the highest paid safety puts me off.   Curl is a good player but two things about him IMO make me question whether he's great.  1.  He doesn't make game changing plays.  He doesn't pick off the ball.  2.  Supposedly he's not a hot communicator in the backfield -- he's no Ed Reed who helps call the defense.

So Curl is really good tackler and consistent performer but he's not in my opinion a break the bank for safety.  Curl hasn't had a pick since his rookie season.  I basically half a season Quan Martin already almost has the same number of career picks as Curl.

Matt Bowen below picking matches to schemes

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39531864/2024-nfl-free-agency-best-team-fits-ranking-top-50-players-available-offseason

25. Kyle Dugger, S

Slotting the versatile Dugger into Dan Quinn's defense makes a lot of sense. With his rare position versatility at 6-foot-2 and 228 pounds, Dugger can be deployed at multiple levels in sub-package personnel to create impact production. Over four pro seasons with New England, Dugger has 343 tackles, 9 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks.

Spotrac has Dugger earning 16.5 mil per year over 4 years.  Higher than I expected.  If we are giving out big deals like that, I'd rather it be OT, LB, DE.   

Not happy to see the news that the cap will be higher than expected, giving teams a little extra to work with.  I am hoping we can score one of McKinney, curl, or Dugger at a palatable price before settling in the next tier of stone / fuller / whitehead who are less impactful and project to more FS than SS.

Edit: as @Est.1974 mentioned J Kearse, he probably makes the most sense as a plan B at S if those top 3 are too expensive.  Short deal and work on longer term solution in a year or two.

Edited by KillBill26

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

25. Kyle Dugger, S

Yep agree. Dugger in, let Curl walk.

Jayron Kearse was also a big favourite of Quinn/Whitt

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Mclaurin and Dotson dont need a mentor and Evans will wanna go somewhere he can win and play with an established QB.

Yall are so damn inconsistent sometimes.

Wasn't too long ago we desperately needed a #1 WR.

There's about to be one on the market and now we don't need one?  What you're saying was true months ago, as would be the case for anyone at his level of play at that position.

Lamar is trash, though, and it's hard to argue Stroud is established after only one season, no matter how good it was.

There's going to be more granularity and specifics around our "problem" then options, so if it's a need that can wait then right now it's a want.  It can't be both at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

There's about to be one on the market and now we don't need one?  What you're saying was true months ago, as would be the case for anyone at his level of play at that position.

Lamar is trash, though, and it's hard to argue Stroud is established after only one season, no matter how good it was.

There's going to be more granularity and specifics around our "problem" then options, so if it's a need that can wait then right now it's a want.  It can't be both at the same time.

I'd love Evans. But not at this stage in our team building. He's older and more expensive. You don't spend that kind of money on a veteran on the decline(but still good)WR at this stage of our team building.

And again, my premise is that...he's not going to want to come here. He can get money from a contender. He's gonna go to Houston or Green Bay or Baltimore or some place like that where he can play with an established QB for the remainder of his career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd love Evans. But not at this stage in our team building. He's older and more expensive. You don't spend that kind of money on a veteran on the decline(but still good)WR at this stage of our team building.

And again, my premise is that...he's not going to want to come here. He can get money from a contender. He's gonna go to Houston or Green Bay or Baltimore or some place like that where he can play with an established QB for the remainder of his career.

This.  We don't have a QB at the moment who will attract a big time FA WR like Mike Evans to come to this team.  In order for him to sign with us (and remember, FA is more than a month before the draft), we would have to probably offer him more money than other teams that he would likely sign with (like GB or Baltimore) AND we would probably have to telegraph our draft and FA plans to a big time FA like Mike Evans, because we would need to be solid at QB before he would even talk to us.  I don't see Mike Evans signing here, unless we let him know straight up that we're taking a QB at #2, OR we sign a FA QB like Kirk Cousins.  If we do neither, Mike Evans most likely wouldn't want to come here.

I'd also push back on the notion that he's in decline.  He's still a Top 10 WR in my opinion (and closer to Top 5 when healthy).  He's definitely a money WR, and I think he has at least 3-4 years left of high end production.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep agree. Dugger in, let Curl walk.

Jayron Kearse was also a big favourite of Quinn/Whitt

And would be substantially cheaper and a shorter-term deal. I think I speculated earlier a 3 year, $18m deal could get Kearse.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If Evans was 26, then I would consider it. Evans is 30/31, about to hit the WR cliff (where literally nobody is immune). 

It's simply a terrible signing. We may want to turn around quickly, but $25m for 2-3 years is Dan Snyder 2000 move all over again. Makes NO sense on a team with 2 good WRs in rebuild mode and a lot of help needed elsewhere. Fortunately he won't have any interest in coming here. And fortunately our front office is smarter than that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

On the surface this all makes sense, it really does.

But his receptions and yards have been going up the last 3 season, not down, and he had twice as TDs this season compared to last.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EvanMi00.htm

If he does fall off a cliff it won't be in the next 2-3 years, which is what a smart franchise would sign him to.

And if we're going to say Stroud and Love are established QBs, that may speak to what HIS options really are.

Already having a ring should also play a factor here, he doesn't have to ring chase, and I haven't seen that he's willing to take a certain contract or even specify he's shooting for an immediate contender. Nor has Harris said he wants to take his time building one.

This may finally look like a rebuild, but if we hit on QB, it could be a quick one, jus like Houston.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

On the surface this all makes sense, it really does.

But his receptions and yards have been going up the last 3 season, not down, and he had twice as TDs this season compared to last.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EvanMi00.htm

If he does fall off a cliff it won't be in the next 2-3 years, which is what a smart franchise would sign him to.

And if we're going to say Stroud and Love are established QBs, that may speak to what HIS options really are.

Already having a ring should also play a factor here, he doesn't have to ring chase, and I haven't seen that he's willing to take a certain contract or even specify he's shooting for an immediate contender. Nor has Harris said he wants to take his time building one.

This may finally look like a rebuild, but if we hit on QB, it could be a quick one, jus like Houston.

Fall offs aren't always gradual, they can be sudden. Look at Julio Jones as one example. With that said, I do think he's still a good player and don't see a drop off just yet, but the possibility is there, and you'd have to pay a LOT to get him.

The fact is, he isn't going to want to come here unless we overpay by a TON, and I don't see that happening with Peters and the new regime. 

And it doesn't make sense for us either. That much money would be better spent filling up other holes with cheaper, more short term options while we rebuild our core. And that isn't even factoring in that we've already spent a lot on McLaurin(who also isn't really that young either).

I love the idea of a big legit A1 WR, but Mike Evans at this current state of both his career and our team building it just isn't in the cards.

• Like 1

Get ekeler. He'd be a great one-two punch with BRob. He sucked last year but was injured and will have a full offseason to recover. That and his age should make him cheaper. Let him take passing downs and he could still be dynamic, break off huge gains and be a great check down option for rookie QB

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves

23 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Get ekeler. He'd be a great one-two punch with BRob. He sucked last year but was injured and will have a full offseason to recover. That and his age should make him cheaper. Let him take passing downs and he could still be dynamic, break off huge gains and be a great check down option for rookie QB

Bowen had has go with Pollard.  I'd rather get the RB in the draft but wouldn't hate this if he were cheap

46. Tony Pollard, RB

With Antonio Gibson heading to free agency, the Commanders could target someone like Pollard on a short-term deal to create a backfield rotation with Brian Robinson Jr. I like that duo. Washington could then reduce the workload for Pollard, while maximizing his dual-threat ability. In five pro seasons with the Cowboys, Pollard had 179 receptions -- and he just rushed for over 1,000 yards for a second straight season.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Were not getting quality vets on cheap 1 year deals. They can get that from contenders.

Were better off targeting guys like Ronald Darby in 2020 and Deandre Carter and Jd Mckissic in 2021. Unheralded guys thatll take a 1 year deal with anyone to try to make more in 2025.

Yeah, I think the contender issue is going to be a factor for sure.  I do think other things factor in/are prioritized at times though - culture, relationships, locale, and of course money.  Don’t love our chances of landing top notch guys, but I’d say there’s a chance that having Quinn here (and plenty of cap space) makes a difference.  We’ll see.

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bowen had has go with Pollard.  I'd rather get the RB in the draft but wouldn't hate this if he were cheap

46. Tony Pollard, RB

With Antonio Gibson heading to free agency, the Commanders could target someone like Pollard on a short-term deal to create a backfield rotation with Brian Robinson Jr. I like that duo. Washington could then reduce the workload for Pollard, while maximizing his dual-threat ability. In five pro seasons with the Cowboys, Pollard had 179 receptions -- and he just rushed for over 1,000 yards for a second straight season.

I like this too. Clearly neither are suited for workhorse roles. But letting brob handle the early downs and either one of these two taking the rest would be a huge upgrade over what we had with gibson

RBs in the draft are a dart throw -  at least we know what we'd have with ekeler/pollard. Then use those picks to keep stacking positions of greater need

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves

1 hour ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Depends on price may not be a bad idea

We're going to draft high priced positions. QB, OT, WR, CB, Edge. Those are the most expensive spots. 

Well sign players that you can get affordably in FA, although I think we take some higher end swings this year with all the cap space making it easier to front load. 

I also think we'll need immediate leadership with a huge roster turn over, which is why guys like Gilmore, Wagner, Kearse all make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

With the project cap to be $250m instead of $242m, here's our projected commitments and cap space per Spotrac and OTC (including dead money and rollover):

Spotract: $159m payroll, $91m Cap Space

OTC: $162m payroll, $88m Cap Space

Either way, tons of $$ ... and does not include additional space that can be acquired via releases of Thomas, Leno, etc.

• Like 2