Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Cousin's is projected to get around 40 million a year on a 3 year deal.  He is coming off a torn Achillies tendon in a game on or about Oct. 29th/30th of last year.  He's soon to be 36 in August.  I know he's passed for over 4K years the past 3 years before he got hurt last year but he's not worth it and furthermore, Peters said he would use FA as a supplement.  He first and foremost uses the draft to build his team.  I don't think you will see Adam Peters spend BIG money like that on FAs  

Agree. It’s such dumb take. Why would a rebuilding team spend huge money on a QB? Also, we don’t even have a HC so how could Kirk possibly know if he wants to play here or not? 

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

Agree. It’s such dumb take. Why would a rebuilding team spend huge money on a QB? Also, we don’t even have a HC so how could Kirk possibly know if he wants to play here or not? 

This build is going to take one maybe two years tops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

In all fairness, Peters was in SF when Kyle aggressively tried to land Cousins so I'm sure he's intimately familiar with the player. If we had ****ed up our tank and were picking #7 overall or something, I'd bet Cousins would land here. But since we're at 2, I think we're going to go Maye. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

Mine is just the lack thereof of Defense, I can’t stand a 135-133 score and where you can be down by double digits in the 3rd quarter and still come back and win the game…. Give me COLLEGE BB all day… I love a good 64-60 game 

College basketball sucks dude.  There is no defense in college basketball.  Everyone just sucks because they can't hit shots or blow by anyone.  The offense is absolutely horrific and unwatchable in college.  They all stink.  The talent level is severely lacking in college.  

It is the biggest misconception that the NBA doesn't play defense.  Everyone plays defense.  It is just that everyone is super skilled out there.  It used to be that every team had goons who couldn't shoot at all.  Now, teams may one of those players (if that), and they played off the floor anyways.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Id also try to extend Cosmi. He has a year left and no 5th year option. 

I’d have to think this would be an obvious move.  Unless he wants Scherff money in which case, (Jay Gruden voice) “he’s a guard” and Peters should be able to find guards from somewhere better than Ron was able to.  

• Like 1

Wouldnt mind offering Jamin Davis a modest extension either. He made big time strides this year and actually looks like a decent starter. We can still exercise his 5th year, keeping him here for two more years, but that might be expensive and it might cost us in the long run(see Payne, Sweat). 

Resigning young players early before they break out is what good teams do.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Wouldnt mind offering Jamin Davis a modest extension either. He made big time strides this year and actually looks like a decent starter. We can still exercise his 5th year, keeping him here for two more years, but that might be expensive and it might cost us in the long run(see Payne, Sweat). 

Resigning young players early before they break out is what good teams do.

Agree and I think he will be better in a defense where he can just run to the ball and not think as much.

14 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I think he fits a need. Hoping to draft 2 linebackers as well.

Agreed. I think they go two FA LBs and one in draft though. Something like a vet with some leadership qualities and a younger/cheaper LB

18 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

In all fairness, Peters was in SF when Kyle aggressively tried to land Cousins so I'm sure he's intimately familiar with the player. If we had ****ed up our tank and were picking #7 overall or something, I'd bet Cousins would land here. But since we're at 2, I think we're going to go Maye. 

I bet we land Kirk this offseason and use the 2nd pick for more draft capital.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is absolutely zero chance we even try to sign Cousins.

Why? Peters traded for Jimmy G. When he was in Denver they signed Peyton.

When they had top 5 picks, he went DE. When they needed a QB, they went FA, except for Lance and that was a terrible trade.

There is precedent for him signing a FA QB this year.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

When they had top 5 picks, he went DE. When they needed a QB, they went FA, except for Lance and that was a terrible trade.

Peters didn’t trade for anyone. He was not the lead executive. From what we know he was heavily involved in their drafts but the ultimate decision makers were Shanahan and Lynch. And he emphasized heavily how much he prioritizes building through the draft.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Peters didn’t trade for anyone. He was not the lead executive. From what we know he was heavily involved in their drafts but the ultimate decision makers were Shanahan and Lynch. And he emphasized heavily how much he prioritizes building through the draft.

He was a part of the FOs that did those things. 

You're using "an older kid did it" logic to excuse him not building the team how you want him to.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He was a part of the FOs that did those things. 

You're using "an older kid did it" logic to excuse him not building the team how you want him to.

Sure, but youre saying he was responsible for all those moves. His area was the draft. Who knows if he even wanted Garopolo or Cousins. 

Now if you wanna ding him for passing up on Mahomes or Watson in 2017 then Im ok with that. But noones perfect.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sure, but youre saying he was responsible for all those moves. His area was the draft. Who knows if he even wanted Garopolo or Cousins. 

Now if you wanna ding him for passing up on Mahomes or Watson in 2017 then Im ok with that. But noones perfect.

I never said that HE did those things ALONE. The FO's he was a part of, did those things. I'm not gonna ding the guy for anything.

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sheehan who is tight with the Shanahans talked about this recently.  Their thought process then was they can get Kirk ultimately who was back then still young of course.   Over time when they learned that its not happening they traded for Jimmy G.  

As Jay talked about, SF was willing to give up their first and change for get Kirk.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan who is tight with the Shanahans talked about this recently.  Their thought process then was they can get Kirk ultimately who was back then still young of course.   Over time when they learned that its not happening they traded for Jimmy G.  

As Jay talked about, SF was willing to give up their first and change for get Kirk.

That's kinda the point that I'm making. I'm open to absolutely any option that Peters could do. He's aggressive and will do anything. So, if they aren't 100% sold on Maye and Daniels, anything could happen.

I'm so excited to have stud LBers again. Safeties too. We're gonna build a bad ass team.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's kinda the point that I'm making. I'm open to absolutely any option that Peters could do. He's aggressive and will do anything. So, if they aren't 100% sold on Maye and Daniels, anything could happen.

I'm so excited to have stud LBers again. Safeties too. We're gonna build a bad ass team.

Anything can happen and as you know that's how almost every team telegraphs their intention before the draft because it behooves them to do so.

But I'd be shocked if he traded down unless its for another QB he loves.  in short, I think almost no shot he doesn't take a QB early.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Anything can happen and as you know that's how almost every team telegraphs their intention before the draft because it behooves them to do so.

But I'd be shocked if he traded down unless its for another QB he loves.  in short, I think almost no shot he doesn't take a QB early.

FA will be telling about QB. IIf we don't bring one in then, I'm sure we either trade up or take Maye. One of the top 3 I guess.

But today, we have no idea.

If we look at history, it wouldn't shock me if we stuck with Howell or brought someone in and drafted a QB after the first round.

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just mentioned LB priority in another thread. The center of our ex HC and DC defense was virtually ignored. How does that occur from 2 old LBs?

Most of these new HC and DC's understand the LB importance! 

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

FA will be telling about QB. IIf we don't bring one in then, I'm sure we either trade up or take Maye. One of the top 3 I guess.

But today, we have no idea.

If we look at history, it wouldn't shock me if we stuck with Howell or brought someone in and drafted a QB after the first round.

There was context to that draft with SF. They later traded the moon to get up and draft one high.

I would be shocked if they stuck with Howell considering he didn’t even remotely earn it. Ditto a veteran in FA and ditto going after the first. But will see. 

• Like 1