Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

43 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Not disagreeing with you, but I’m curious how you came to this conclusion?  

I’ll add that a part of my calculus, beyond saving 8-10mil or whatever to allocate elsewhere, was that Scott seemed to hold up vs Bosa (and our ground game was quite effective too).  Made me think maybe we could get by with the two of them (Lucas/Scott), along with Daniels and whatever OTs we draft (plus Cosmi and perhaps Wylie as emergency OTs).  But I’d still hold onto Leno until post-draft at the least in this scenario.

I hear you on this.  While I’m looking forward to drafting an OT (plus a 2nd lineman that could hopefully play inside or out), I’m not getting my hopes up that they’ll be clear upgrades from day 1.

It’s been my observation watching Lucas the past few years especially last year when he played RT after Cosmi went down. Looked like a Pro Bowler early and then kind of tailed off. Keim has reinforced this point too

• Thumb up 1

The PFF guys called out Bryce Huff as a guy we should target in FA in that "rebuilding the Commanders" episode they did. He finishes the season with 10 sacks after getting 2 more today. I bet he is going to be available because the Jets have taken edge rushers back to back in the first round and probably did not expect Huff to blow up the way he did

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, method man said:

The PFF guys called out Bryce Huff as a guy we should target in FA in that "rebuilding the Commanders" episode they did. He finishes the season with 10 sacks after getting 2 more today. I bet he is going to be available because the Jets have taken edge rushers back to back in the first round and probably did not expect Huff to blow up the way he did

Sounds good to me

If we do trade Allen we are going to need a DT. Mathis is terrible / ridgeway I don’t mind he for sure wants to win but lacks any pass rush abilities . I don’t want to over pay for a DT in free agency either so my guess is use the pick whatever we get for Allen on a DT. 

This has been discussed a bit but this team is better fit for a 3-4 scheme moving forward given the current talent and what the FA market looks like. FA is filled with good 3-4 OLB types like Huff, Greenard, Epenesa etc who may be too light to be 4-3 DEs

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Robert Hunt is the FA OL I want us to sign.  We could have him play LG for us.  That'd make me feel better about starting a young center, especially someone like Van Pran.

Absolutely. The Line needs a ton of work and he's the best FA on the line so go get him.

5 hours ago, Commander202 said:

If we do trade Allen we are going to need a DT. Mathis is terrible / ridgeway I don’t mind he for sure wants to win but lacks any pass rush abilities . I don’t want to over pay for a DT in free agency either so my guess is use the pick whatever we get for Allen on a DT. 

I don't want to trade Allen.  I don't think we should weaken our lines of scrimmage any more than we already have.  It's time to start building them back up again, and an important test for the new regime will be selling guys like Allen on their plan and their program.  They need to get him to buy in to the future of this organization.

Edited by Going Commando
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

On 1/5/2024 at 8:55 AM, skinsfan66 said:

No we are not, like I said we have players that could leave and sign with other teams, the comp picks are for next year. But if you sign free agents to replace open holes left by more trades it will reduce or eliminate them.   We have got a 2nd and 3rd for comp of Sweat and Young for me that is enough, trade down if you want more. I hope we do not go Hog wild in FA. I want to use the draft, collect picks for next year too. No reason to go and blow up the cap either. What has FA ever done for us in the past. Just a different opinion here.

I don't think it's a "blow up the cap" situation, but it seems inevitable the team will sign a fair number of bodies, just to have a certain level of competence at certain positions (most notably OL). Not to mention the fact there will be a new coach, who will inevitably want to bring in some of "his" guys. Hence the idea of a lack of compensatory picks as a result on the coming free agent class. Frankly, no one on the team will fetch high picks anyway. You need someone that other teams actually want and will sign for enough money to county. Brissett should count, but he was only a 6th round value last year. Kamren Curl, if not resigned, should. I suspect Kendall Fuller and Curtis Samuel make the cut. After that? Guys like Antonio Gibson or Cody Barton are skirting the line as 7th rounders at best. Frankly, I think this team will sign more than 4 guys, making it moot. More than anything, it really needs live bodies at certain positions, and: (1) you're not going to fix everything through the draft; and (2) most draft picks aren't ready to play from day 1 anyhow.

As an example, Houston (last year's second worst team), lost one guy and signed 9 free agents that counted. Though none were very high priced. The Bears lost two and signed 7. It's generally what bad teams do.

Edited by Jericho

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Robert Hunt is the FA OL I want us to sign.  We could have him play LG for us.  That'd make me feel better about starting a young center, especially someone like Van Pran.

If I’m trying to solve the LG spot in FA, I’d rather go for Onwenu as he has shown he can play both RT and guard well. Gives a bit more flexibility in the draft to go for the best OL in the 2nd round

26 minutes ago, method man said:

If I’m trying to solve the LG spot in FA, I’d rather go for Onwenu as he has shown he can play both RT and guard well. Gives a bit more flexibility in the draft to go for the best OL in the 2nd round

I'd be OK with Onwenu too, although his listed weight is a little concerning at 350.  It sounds like you're keeping the door open for a Cooper Beebe pick at 36 though, which is a good idea.

At the end of the day, I want to get LG and OC fixed and the free agent guards are better than the free agent centers, and I think we have a decent shot at a young center playing next year via Stromberg or a draft pick, and I'd want a vet mainstay at LG to play beside him.

I also want us to consider packaging our seconds together to move back into the first for a tackle, specifically Fuaga.  I think an OL of Leno, Hunt/Onwenu/Dotson, Stromberg, Cosmi, Fuaga could actually be good.

Honestly, if we think Onwenu could play RT for us, I would try and sign both him and another FA IOL like Kevin Dotson or Robert Hunt.  Then we can just let the draft come to us and won't have to start any rookie OLs unless they win the job.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, method man said:

This has been discussed a bit but this team is better fit for a 3-4 scheme moving forward given the current talent and what the FA market looks like. FA is filled with good 3-4 OLB types like Huff, Greenard, Epenesa etc who may be too light to be 4-3 DEs

No. Not with our linebacker situation

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Me too, mentiioned the same months ago, its cool that now we are finally getting closer to the off season action.  Sign likely one of the best guards on the market versus bargain basement shopping at that spot.  

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 7.06.00 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too, mentiioned the same months ago, its cool that now we are finally getting closer to the off season action.  Sign likely one of the best guards on the market versus bargain basement shopping at that spot.  

So he played all of his snaps at RG this year.  I know he played LT and LG in college because Dotson was their RG, has he played any of his snaps at LG or OT in the NFL?

Also, do you know how many snaps Onwenu has played at tackle vs guard?

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

So he played all of his snaps at RG this year.  I know he played LT and LG in college because Dotson was their RG, has he played any of his snaps at LG or OT in the NFL?

Also, do you know how many snaps Onwenu has played at tackle vs guard?

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 7.42.08 AM.png

• Like 1

To be able to land 3-4 of these key FA's would be killer moving into the draft.

You guys just nailed the needed positions along with Edge. Via FA we could use a OL, LB, TE, DB and Edge.

While we have the CAP space I do question how many FA's will be willing to play in Washington with all new coaching and crap facilities. 

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's the one FA I'd target for sure.  Would be an immediate upgrade and fill a glaring hole that hasn't been adequately spotted since London retired.

• Like 1