Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

So, to answer my question from last week on why we haven't extended any of our free agents to be, the answer is that the ownership change took longer and ended up interfering with extending players like Sweat and others. I believe it was Keim who reported this. Maybe news is coming on some extensions in the next several hours or maybe not? 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

So, to answer my question from last week on why we haven't extended any of our free agents to be, the answer is that the ownership change took longer and ended up interfering with extending players like Sweat and others. I believe it was Keim who reported this. Maybe news is coming on some extensions in the next several hours or maybe not? 

ESPN: Commanders' Ownership Change Delayed New Contracts for Montez Sweat and More

PAUL KASABIANOCTOBER 30, 2023

ATLANTA, GA  OCTOBER 15:  Washington defensive end Montez Sweat (90) warms up prior to the start of the NFL game between the Washington Commanders and the Atlanta Falcons on October 15th, 2023 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA.  (Photo by Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Washington Commanders edge-rusher Montez Sweat has been the subject of trade rumors recently given his production, his impending free agency and the team's now 3-5 start after a 38-31 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

There was a chance those conversations could have been averted entirely, though, with a contract extension this offseason.

However, the team's ownership change from Dan Snyder to Josh Harris reportedly halted any work on such a move for him or "any other player," per ESPN's John Keim.

"For a lot of the offseason, one source said Washington wanted to try to extend Sweat," Keim wrote.

"However, with the ownership change not taking place until late July, it delayed work on possible extensions for Sweat or any other player, according to multiple sources."

Sweat has amassed 32 tackles, six-and-a-half sacks and two forced fumbles in eight games. Naturally, his play has led to teams' interest in acquiring him this season.

Keim added that it's unlikely Washington has a "fire sale," per a source, but he also noted "there have been multiple discussions with teams regarding players," including Sweat and fellow edge-rusher Chase Young, another impending free agent who has five sacks.

Of those two, Sweat has reportedly "drawn the most attention," per Keim, with the Atlanta Falcons circled as a "team to watch," per a source to Keim. Another team source told the reporter that "other teams have been calling on Sweat and Young for a few months, knowing their contract situations."

Ultimately, Washington is at a major crossroads now with its 2023 season on the brink following five losses in six games. The Commanders now have a choice between shooting for the playoffs with the personnel they have (and risk losing Sweat and Young this offseason) or trading away players now and building for the future.

9 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't think you have to use the draft capital to draft a player as good as the player you traded in order for the trade to be a success.  As long as you get a multiple year starter out of the trade I think you can win (everything depends on the situation).  I think that is a win because of the way rookie contracts work where rookie starters bring great surplus value particularly if they play a premium position like QB, WR, Edge, DT, OT, or CB.  For example Jahan Dotson seems like an alright pick, not great, not bad, but with a cap hit of 3.4 million, he is bringing in nice surplus value.

Exactly this. With a competent FO in place, a mid 2nd or higher should yield a Day 1 starter. Even if that guy is slightly below average to average and stays at average, the excess value relative to salary is how you go pay someone else.

Ian Rapoport just now said they have offers for some players, highlighting Sweat but also Young.    Said some teams are fishing around on Fuller and Antonio Gibson

He said he doesn't know for sure that this team pulls the trigger though.

Standig on just a little while ago said he doesn't know for sure but poking around some he doesn't get the sense that Josh Harris is telling Ron what to do.  He said asked some around the league, some other teams think Ron doesn't pull the trigger because he has nothing to gain to build draft capital for 2024.  Standig went back and forth on it but still guesses they likely trade Sweat.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This does a feel a bit like their stripping the car down to the bolts just for the sake of doing it.

I've always been opposed to trades where your hope is that you will use the capital acquired to draft a player as good as the player you traded.

Our hope is that in three years, we will have players as good as Young and Sweat.

In the NFL, I think you should always be trading "for" something specifically.

The only way I can justify dealing off Chase or Sweat is if the purpose is to accumulate picks to go up and get a QB in the draft like Drake Maye.  But why would Ron and his FO be doing that?  They're not going to be here to draft Drake Maye, much less develop him.  Ron has zero incentive to fire-sale talent for 2024 assets, and doing so goes against the system of incentives/rewards he's spent the past four years setting up to get guys to earn big contracts.

That's why this feels like an ownership directive to me, and that's just not good at all.  I don't care how bad a job Ron has done this season, an owner should never directly meddle with in-season roster management.  Coach and GMs need to have absolute authority over this in order for an organization to be functional.  It's a red line for me, and it's one that ownership can never uncross.  I would never trust Harris not to meddle with the roster again.

19 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

ESPN: Commanders' Ownership Change Delayed New Contracts for Montez Sweat and More

PAUL KASABIANOCTOBER 30, 2023

ATLANTA, GA  OCTOBER 15:  Washington defensive end Montez Sweat (90) warms up prior to the start of the NFL game between the Washington Commanders and the Atlanta Falcons on October 15th, 2023 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA.  (Photo by Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Washington Commanders edge-rusher Montez Sweat has been the subject of trade rumors recently given his production, his impending free agency and the team's now 3-5 start after a 38-31 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

There was a chance those conversations could have been averted entirely, though, with a contract extension this offseason.

However, the team's ownership change from Dan Snyder to Josh Harris reportedly halted any work on such a move for him or "any other player," per ESPN's John Keim.

"For a lot of the offseason, one source said Washington wanted to try to extend Sweat," Keim wrote.

"However, with the ownership change not taking place until late July, it delayed work on possible extensions for Sweat or any other player, according to multiple sources."

Sweat has amassed 32 tackles, six-and-a-half sacks and two forced fumbles in eight games. Naturally, his play has led to teams' interest in acquiring him this season.

Keim added that it's unlikely Washington has a "fire sale," per a source, but he also noted "there have been multiple discussions with teams regarding players," including Sweat and fellow edge-rusher Chase Young, another impending free agent who has five sacks.

Of those two, Sweat has reportedly "drawn the most attention," per Keim, with the Atlanta Falcons circled as a "team to watch," per a source to Keim. Another team source told the reporter that "other teams have been calling on Sweat and Young for a few months, knowing their contract situations."

Ultimately, Washington is at a major crossroads now with its 2023 season on the brink following five losses in six games. The Commanders now have a choice between shooting for the playoffs with the personnel they have (and risk losing Sweat and Young this offseason) or trading away players now and building for the future.

The headline is misleading as it relates to the text of the article.. 

The article suggests that they had to pause negotiations, while the headline makes it seem like it the situation killed a deal. The owners took over in plenty of time to get a deal done before the season. If any kind of negotiation had been close, they could have wrapped it then. 

Sounds a little like spin from Rivera's camp. 

17 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The only way I can justify dealing off Chase or Sweat is if the purpose is to accumulate picks to go up and get a QB in the draft like Drake Maye.  But why would Ron and his FO be doing that?  They're not going to be here to draft Drake Maye, much less develop him.  Ron has zero incentive to fire-sale talent for 2024 assets, and doing so goes against the system of incentives/rewards he's spent the past four years setting up to get guys to earn big contracts.

That's why this feels like an ownership directive to me, and that's just not good at all.  I don't care how bad a job Ron has done this season, an owner should never directly meddle with in-season roster management.  Coach and GMs need to have absolute authority over this in order for an organization to be functional.  It's a red line for me, and it's one that ownership can never uncross.  I would never trust Harris not to meddle with the roster again.

I would almost never want ownership involved in personnel matters. In this case, though, if Ron is deciding to hold pat in contrast to the long-term interests of the franchise because it doesn't benefit him (which seems highly plausible), then I would absolutely be in favor of Harris stepping in and telling him to get something done. 

My preference would still be to sign one of Sweat and Young long-term soon and see what the offers were on Allen or Payne, who would presumably have much more trade value. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I would almost never want ownership involved in personnel matters. In this case, though, if Ron is deciding to hold pat in contrast to the long-term interests of the franchise because it doesn't benefit him (which seems highly plausible), then I would absolutely be in favor of Harris stepping in and telling him to get something done. 

Me too.  Ditto if I recall @KDawg if i followed one of his posts.

Ron has been a clownshow this off season.  Harris didn't hire Ron.  He didn't hire the Martys.  He didn't have time to swap out of the hand he was dealt because he didn't get the team until late July.  I don't thimk Harris should be at the mercy of Dan's team. 

Standig made a point on one of his podcasts that there is a chance Ron does make a trade in the context of his sell of that he's building for the future.   Ron's been on that kick of late acting like he should be treated like its his first season in the rebuild since its Howell's first season.  It comes off a bit sad for me.  If I were Harris, I'd have a hard time taking Ron seriously.

Ron's only responsibiity on game day is to call time outs and challenges and he comes off like a lost puppy with even that.  No way I'd feel at the mercy of Ron's "judgement" right now.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Two 3rds from a contender like the 49ers isn't enough. I'd definitely try to get a 2nd out of them.

I hope your optimism of what we get comes true.  Hearing the beat guys (all of them) say what they are hearing around the league is one third.  And then we got the third that can be triggered to a 2nd.  But haven't heard anything about multiple picks.  Unless you mean you'd rather get a 2nd then two thirds?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I want Derrick Henry...

If we rarely gonna run, it needs to hurt everytime we do, imo...

Should also help prolong his career not running him to death like Titans are.

He's fa after this season, and the ideal RB for this offense is moot if we don't run the ball.  Gibson still being underutilized tells me coaching staff maybe knows something we don't, I thought he'd be perfect, it doesn't make sense.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

It’s will be inexcusable if we don’t trade a couple of players. 

Giants get Isaiah Simmons for a ham sandwich and get a good haul for Williams.  Giants have ways to go but by reputation Schoen has a much bigger reputation than the Martys and Ron.

Now if Ron can't get at least a 2nd for Sweat he looks bad.

• Like 2