Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I don’t think many of us feel we are ‘good’ with the O’Line. It’s going to require a lot of things to go right for it to be ‘good’. 

Dalton Risner and Isiah Wynn are still on the free agency market. Neither is All Pro material, both have started a lot of games and are still late 20’s - interesting they are still available.

Both would be good IMO.

I pushed Wynn earlier in this process, surprised he hasn't been signed yet.  One of the best LTs years back, still young -- I read he struggled last year when moved from LT to RT and his durability has been his issue

• Like 1

If its a LB they want, how about a non-scrub pick up at that spot for a change?  You got the cap room to do it.   Rashaan Evans

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/03/nfl-draft-mailbag-texans-eagles-lions

From Opinions are divided (@giantsyankees3): Any reason ILB Rashaan Evans is still unsigned? Finished 7th in the NFL in tackles and only 27.

Opinions, I don’t have a great answer for this one. He’s a good player, started 17 games for the Falcons last year, has produced for two teams and, like you said, is just 27.

It’s not like there aren’t faults to his game, but he’s a physical, run-and-hit, off-ball linebacker, and one Atlanta would’ve brought back on the right terms. And so my feeling is once the market fell out during free agency and you started seeing one-year deals, and minimum deals floating around, he figured waiting might behoove him.

Ron I know you are a personality guy when it comes to personnel, how about some Kyle Van Noy?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

I don't do too bad as to the draft where Ron tends to take some of the players I like.  But I have an awful track record with FA and Ron. Players I tout, tend to be off the table with Ron and this FO. :ols:   I haven't really watched Evans but profile wise he intrigues me.  Decent PFF scores last season, not killer.  Shouldn't be expensive.  But comes off like a better player than the just a guy menu that they tend to tap into for FA at LB. 

This was an entertaining watch.  He was mic'd up last season against the Commanders.  You can see him mixing it up some with our RBs.  According to PFF scores, he had a good game that day.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ron I know you are a personality guy when it comes to personnel, how about some Kyle Van Noy?

According to Spotrac his last contract was 1 year, $2,250,000 with the Chargers, including a $750,000 signing bonus, $750,000 guaranteed.

He is good, reliable and cheap, make it happen Ron !

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Damien Wilson would be a target they will look at IMO. Trading for Queen with the Ravens too.

Patrick Queen would be fun, I liked him before that draft -- he played like his hair was on fire in college.    Didn't develop though that quickly in the pros which though isn't that unusual for LBs.  

I'd guess he wouldn't be cheap as far as a trade.  Ron seems to like to go cheap at LB.  So i'd be surprised but it would be a welcome surprise if they did this albiet didn't overpay in draft capital 

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 1.53.01 PM.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Patrick Queen would be fun, I liked him before that draft -- he played like his hair was on fire in college.    Didn't develop though that quickly in the pros which though isn't that unusual for LBs.  

I'd guess he wouldn't be cheap as far as a trade.  Ron seems to like to go cheap at LB.  So i'd be surprised but it would be a welcome surprise if they did this albiet didn't overpay in draft capital 

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 1.53.01 PM.png

I’ll give ‘em our 7th. I mean, I have no authority. But…

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Caught up with Keim on a Bram appearance on Friday.

Not much. 

A.  He knows they want a LB from FA

B.  He believes they believe they are good with their O line. but said he got the same vibe years back and they did sign Leno when he was released

C.  Maybe another WR.  

On oline, they were sort of right.  Had Roullier stayed healthy, our line would have been above average at least.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

On oline, they were sort of right.  Had Roullier stayed healthy, our line would have been above average at least.

i like Roullier but he's not like a Jason Kelce elite center.  Never sniffed a pro bowl.  Good player.  I don't know about the whole unit being above average with him in the lineup.   Maybe average instead of sucking?

I think we got a good fighting chance to have an O line that sucks again.  With a what if type argument again. Something like what if Cosmi and S. Charles stayed healthy and we didn't have natural centers play guard for most of the season because of it?   Or Chris Paul started slow but what if he played like the whole season instead of how he started the season as he was adjusting?

It seems looming for another what if season on the O line.  And not a fun version of it.

Our best O lineman gave up 8 sacks last year in Leno.  Wylie gave up 9 sacks on the other side.  Cosmi can't stay healthy but we are trusting him to hold the LG spot.  I like Chris Paul but he's still a 7th round flier holding the RG spot.   

I disagree with Matt Miller below that this might be the worst O line in the league.  But I do think they are banking on too many what if scenarios on the O line, just like they did last year, and its big time on the table IMO that the season is derailed for the exact same reason. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36187363/2023-nfl-draft-best-picks-worst-reaches-favorite-fits-trades-rookie-predictions

Which team produced your least favorite class?

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

Miller: Washington Commanders. Not selecting... offensive tackle in the entire draft was a bold strategy for a team with question marks at both spots. The Commanders...might have the shakiest offensive line in the entire NFL after Arizona shored up its unit with Paris Johnson Jr. in Round 1.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 7.48.44 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

i like Roullier but he's not like a Jason Kelce elite center.  Never sniffed a pro bowl.  Good player.  I don't know about the whole unit being above average with him in the lineup.   Maybe average instead of sucking?

I think we got a good fighting chance to have an O line that sucks again.  With a what if type argument again. Something like what if Cosmi and S. Charles stayed healthy and we didn't have natural centers play guard for most of the season because of it?   Or Chris Paul started slow but what if he played like the whole season instead of how he started the season as he was adjusting?

It seems looming for another what if season on the O line.  And not a fun version of it.

Our best O lineman gave up 8 sacks last year in Leno.  Wylie gave up 9 sacks on the other side.  Cosmi can't stay healthy but we are trusting him to hold the LG spot.  I like Chris Paul but he's still a 7th round flier holding the RG spot.   

I disagree with Matt Miller below that this might be the worst O line in the league.  But I do think they are banking on too many what if scenarios on the O line, just like they did last year, and its big time on the table IMO that the season is derailed for the exact same reason. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36187363/2023-nfl-draft-best-picks-worst-reaches-favorite-fits-trades-rookie-predictions

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

Miller: Washington Commanders. Not selecting... offensive tackle in the entire draft was a bold strategy for a team with question marks at both spots. The Commanders...might have the shakiest offensive line in the entire NFL after Arizona shored up its unit with Paris Johnson Jr. in Round 1.

Yup. This OL can be a decent one. Or a bad one. And I think the percentage chance that it's bad is higher than it's decent. We're not in good shape there. Howell's mobility and playcalling can mask it into being decent, too. But I don't see this group as being anything other than bottom third. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’ll give ‘em our 7th. I mean, I have no authority. But…

You can pull the trigger on this.

I hope Keim is wrong about he senses their concern is for an upgrade at LB, but doesn't sense O line.  Though he did have the disclaimer, they did sign Leno out of the blue years back so something like that can happen again.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a LB. 

But I hate how the O line IMO feels like a house of cards for a 2nd year in a row,  Last year I gave them the benefit of the doubt on this.  Heck I even forgave them for it considering all the rhetoric about how its their code red spot and will fix it.

The sense I get is Stromberg and Daniels likely ride the bench this season unless there are injuries but likely play in 2024.  If so, they basically traded Schweitzer for Gates.   So the big move is Wylie.  And while I am not sure Wylie sucks as some critics think -- I get the vibe he's just OK, its like adding another Leno.

And considering i am hearing they will release Norwell as soon as he passes his medical.  their depth at guard is actually weaker than last year.

I suspect Stromberg ends up starting at some point of the season whether they see it that way or not because he's their most talented center.  But I get they want to help Howell at the start of the season with a seasoned veteran who can help him with protections.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Yup. This OL can be a decent one. Or a bad one. And I think the percentage chance that it's bad is higher than it's decent. We're not in good shape there. Howell's mobility and playcalling can mask it into being decent, too. But I don't see this group as being anything other than bottom third. 

It feels like they are okay with throwing all the young unproven guys with a few decent vets making this a growth year for the young guys while having a mobile tough guy at QB.

Then next year if Howell is destroyed or doesn't work out they can shoot for a new QB while their young guys have a year under their belts and know who can play where.

Kind of an odd thing for a HC that knows his job could be on the line

Just now, DWinzit said:

It feels like they are okay with throwing all the young unproven guys with a few decent vets making this a growth year for the young guys while having a mobile tough guy at QB.

Then next year if Howell is destroyed or doesn't work out they can shoot for a new QB while their young guys have a year under their belts and know who can play where.

Kind of an odd thing for a HC that knows his job could be on the line

Thing is, if Howell stinks it's likely it's due to both him AND the offensive line. So now, depending where we are in the first, we need a QB and a LT. 

I doubt we are in the Mayes/Williams sweepstakes, so LT looks like the move. But then what do we do at QB?

It doesn't look like there will be a single QB worth signing in FA. There could be one or two available for trade, but who?

This team needs Howell to pan out so they can go OL guilt free in the draft. And then there are BPA discussions, too. But with the class of OT coming out I'd surmise we could have an OT as BPA at our selection. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That's part of what I hate about it.  Howell.  It doesn't help set him up for success.  And we likely got a new coaching staff who would have to decipher the chicken and the egg component of it if it goes south.  That typically doesn't bode well for the QB.

The Eagles wanted to see if Hurts was the goods last year.  they seemed a bit on the fence about him.  Wr was their code red spot as to helping him -- and they went to town on it.

I hate that they gave Howell an O line that can potentially fall apart.

I've been very vocal defending Ron.  i don't think he's a great coach or personnel guy.  But he's been decent.  And I've fought some of his louder critics.

I am typically pollyana about the roster.  But I actually feel worse about the roster now than before the start of the off season.

I do think this defense should be better.  I do think Bieiniemy > Turner.  Howell > Heinicke.  So based on those things it should be better.

But if wouldn't shock me if next season isn't hot for three reasons.

A.  The other NFC East teams IMO had better off seasons, maybe except the Eagles but the Eagles made up for FA with a good draft IMO.

B. Tougher schedule.  I know some like to say you never know.  That's true, But 2 years ago it was also billed as a tough schedule and it played out like that, it was one of the excuses for the defense having a bad season.  Last season was billed as an easier schedule, worked out that way, too.

C.  A scout once said (and I agree) its tough to be a good team with a bad offensive line.   i like a lot of our units but if the O line is a hindrance with both the passing game and run game -- it can derail the season.  Some focus on pass protect issues last year but this wasn't a good run blocking unit either.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Thing is, if Howell stinks it's likely it's due to both him AND the offensive line. So now, depending where we are in the first, we need a QB and a LT. 

I doubt we are in the Mayes/Williams sweepstakes, so LT looks like the move. But then what do we do at QB?

It doesn't look like there will be a single QB worth signing in FA. There could be one or two available for trade, but who?

This team needs Howell to pan out so they can go OL guilt free in the draft. And then there are BPA discussions, too. But with the class of OT coming out I'd surmise we could have an OT as BPA at our selection. 

Yup. we really need to have Howell and at least a couple of the young OL to work out this year. At least to the point they can be trusted as starters. I was hoping they would have drafted a definitive OL starter for this season but that didn't unfold.

I agree LT must be the highest need right for next season but seems there are already of foreseeable holes. Hope new ownership brings new game plans

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

Don’t suppose you have Cosmi’s PFF scores for his games as a guard?  Not really a big deal as that was mid-season vs (hopefully) having a full offseason to adjust, but I’d be curious to see them.  I guess ditto with Gates at center…

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Again, that’s exactly how I feel.  I think the depth is enough that we don’t totally crater with injuries, but bottom third feels like a safe bet regardless of health.

Here’s hoping the younger guys (including Paul/Cosmi) get coached up in a hurry.

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Don’t suppose you have Cosmi’s PFF scores for his games as a guard?  Not really a big deal as that was mid-season vs (hopefully) having a full offseason to adjust, but I’d be curious to see them.  I guess ditto with Gates at center…

Tough to figure out.  Cosmi interchanged in some games in those positions.  I know one of the PFF guys who charted him said he played worse in a couple of games where he played worse at guard but he also defended that by saying he's not used to that spot.  Gates by reputation is a better center than guard.

My concern with Cosmi isn't his play but can he stay healthy?  Same with St. Juste on defense.

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Again, that’s exactly how I feel.  I think the depth is enough that we don’t totally crater with injuries, but bottom third feels like a safe bet regardless of health.

Here’s hoping the younger guys (including Paul/Cosmi) get coached up in a hurry.

Keim doubled down today on his podcast that Nowell will be released.  Agree that the depth is better at center.  Worse at guard IMO.  Depth to me is a wash from last off season unless we run with the theory that center is more important than guard so depth at center is more meaningful -- I can ride with that but its not enough for me to feel good about depth.

Gates isn't hot at guard.  Stromberg is more of a natural center.  So either one of them shifted to guard to fill in for injuries might not be hot.  S. Charles is OK in that role but he's another dude who can't stay healthy

• Like 1

Queen started the first half of his rookie year looking like DPotY and then hit a wall he never got through. I'd try and pry him loose after they drafted his replacement in Simmons.

Cardnals drafted a replacement for Simmons and that's another option. Would make KDawg happy.

Queen was hilariously bad for a couple years but then had a Jamin Davis like turn around last year and was actually pretty good. The problem is the Ravens already declined his 5th year option, so you’re essentially trading for 1 year of him. That’s worth maybe a 5th rounder, but I’m not sure I’d go any higher than that. 

We might need to preserve our draft picks.  Looks like Rivera is being looked into for tampering on Andrew Luck.  If its apples to apples to the Dolphins situation with Brady, there goes our first round pick.  

Edit: listening to Keim I think they might be OK, fingers crossed