Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

I never liked Gibson, never saw the appeal he had from the fans. Everyone said we were using him wrong and I didn't buy into that...until this year. Gibson did a lot for this team early on with Brob out and Turner started to actually use him correctly and he was important to this offense. I think someone like Eric B. will know how to use him even more effectively than Turner ever did, he should be scoring and racking up yards like crazy.

I do like Gibson and agree with most of your points, I'd only add that I'd like to see him stay healthy and be on the field more. Love that he fixed his fumbling problems last season, that's a credit to him.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You think a $3mil 1 year deal for a back up vet QB is going to keep us from resigning Curl next year? Interesting :ols:

Also, we've drafted DeFo and Butler. We may not even try to resign Curl.

I agree with you on a 3 mil backup, but Curl is the lynchpin of our D after our DLine. 

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe you think Barton will be on the field with Davis for 90%+ snaps as the second backer and that's the point you're making. I a not sure. I'd like an upgrade.

Two years ago, Holcomb played almost every single snap and they rotated the other LBer bringing Davis along, but even when Collins was showing out, there was still 2 LBers on the field. 

I think this drives to the heart of it - and we don't know the answer and won't until we see them play. Are they going in planning on 'base' being 1 LBer on the field with either a DB or safety or they thinking they will run a nickel with 2 backers as base. They kind of fell into the big nickel because of the injury to Holcomb, but we got better when they did that. I am assuming thats the direction they are planning with having a second 'backer (let alone a third) as more of a situational thing in obvious run situations or as a match up against formation/personnel. 

Bottom line is though off the ball backers are just not valued league wide unless they are athletic freaks who can run sideline to sideline and carry a TE or even a slot down the field.

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I wonder if Atlanta told TH that he would have every chance to win the starting job? 

Only if they have never watched film of him. 🙂

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, TeddyKGB said:

I agree with you on a 3 mil backup, but Curl is the lynchpin of our D after our DLine. 

It was a joke, because a 1 year contract won't affect next years free agents next year.

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I wonder if Atlanta told TH that he would have every chance to win the starting job? 

You should leave that curse to the Falcon fans now.

1 minute ago, TeddyKGB said:

Speaking on backup QBs, how do we feel about Kyle Allen potentially coming back? IIRC he was only on a one year deal with the Texans.

Heavens no. He played two games last year for the Texans and was bad. If we end up in that tier of the market for the vet backup we have taken a step back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Heavens no. He played two games last year for the Texans and was bad. If we end up in that tier of the market for the vet backup we have taken a step back.

Fair point, I didn’t watch him last year, and don’t know how he’d be outside Scott’s system.

Early Grades from CBS Sports: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-team-by-team-day-1-grades-dolphins-seahawks-49ers-bears-among-early-winners/

Washington Commanders: B

Key additions: T Andrew Wylie (Chiefs), OL Nick Gates (Giants), LB Cody Barton (Seahawks), CB Cameron Dantzler (Vikings). Key re-signings: DT Daron Payne, LB David Mayo, CB Danny Johnson

The Commanders have made a few mid-level moves in addition to making Pro Bowl defensive tackle Daron Payne the second-highest paid defensive tackle in the NFL behind only three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald. Adding Andrew Wylie for three years at $24 million gives new offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy a familiar face to help coach up his new players on the scheme he's importing from Kansas City. The rest of the acquisitions are solid depth fillers, nothing super noteworthy beyond that.

However with a little over $21 million in cap space after Day 1 of free agency, the Commanders still have the flexibility to make a splash signing before the dust settles. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

These are the players I’m keeping watch on now. And no, I don’t expect them signed before someone piles in :rofl89: Simply my FA watch list. Wouldn’t mind a couple though....

RB Kareem Hunt 

WR Mecole Hardman

WR Parris Campbell

TE Austin Hooper

LT Orlando Brown 

G Dalton Risner

LB Azeez Al Shaair

DB Jabrill Peppers

CB Byron Murphy

CB Rock Ya Sin

CB Greedy Williams

K Eddy Pineiro

OL Dalton Risner

CB Byron Murphy 

would be very nice additions

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Davis Mills when he’s being moved on ?

That would be a decentish option. He would be a clear backup but is someone who has started games and played at least decently. 

Who they bring in will tell us a lot about how long a leash Howell really has. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

That would be a decentish option. He would be a clear backup but is someone who has started games and played at least decently. 

And we’ve got his college coach here now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Mills hasn't even crossed my mind but now that I think about it, there's a really good chance we end up trading for him. 

Keenum + Rookie 2nd rounder ... you wouldn't bring in Keenum to be 3rd string would you? Mill is too good to be 3rd string. I gotta think he's available for trade. We have his college QB coach ... would make a ton of sense to send them a pick for Mills and just draft a guy late as a developmental 3rd or PS guy with Fromm.

Mills is gonna be pretty cheap too, for at least the next 2 years, and has started for 2 years now, so he's got plenty of experience to come in and compete if Howell goes down. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

As much as I'd like it, w/ Barton getting some G money I don't see Swole-comb coming back. We don't play enough LBs to justify paying him while having Davis and Barton. Somebody would become a waste of money.

We are in great need of a punt returner. Someone who could replace Dax's roster spot.

Another OL would be nice to so we can cut some of the floatsam or have injury insurance in camp.

QB goes without sayin'

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Mills hasn't even crossed my mind but now that I think about it, there's a really good chance we end up trading for him. 

Keenum + Rookie 2nd rounder ... you wouldn't bring in Keenum to be 3rd string would you? Mill is too good to be 3rd string. I gotta think he's available for trade. We have his college QB coach ... would make a ton of sense to send them a pick for Mills and just draft a guy late as a developmental 3rd or PS guy with Fromm.

Mills is gonna be pretty cheap too, for at least the next 2 years, and has started for 2 years now, so he's got plenty of experience to come in and compete if Howell goes down. 

And give up draft picks when you do not have to (Wentz 2023)? They said TH was going to be cheap too. Will not get a offer said some.  Sounds like a Dan Move.