Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jimmy Carter to receive hospice care

Cooked Crack

He was a great president, the first one to put solar on the roof that Reagan took off. He was vilified by the Republicans especially about the hostage situation that Republicans interfered with in order to exploit it during election season. It's why we still suffer from trickle down economics today. 

I hope he gets the care he needs to pass gently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

A while back I read Rick Perlstein's book "Reaganland: America's Right Turn, 1976-1980." Of course Carter was hurt by stagflation and the Iran hostage crisis, but the race between him and Reagan (with Anderson as the 3rd party candidate) was close, but there were instances of Carter coming off as ornery that last year, which probably didn't help either. But the guy has been an exemplary former president for sure.

When will Rdskns2000 speculate on, if/when Carter does pass away, will Trump go to the funeral?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

When will Rdskns2000 speculate on, if/when Carter does pass away, will Trump go to the funeral?

I hope he wouldn’t do that but let’s not turn a nice thread/conversation about a good man into anything involving Trump. There’s no shortage of Trump related threads on here, it can be discussed there. 

• Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

A while back I read Rick Perlstein's book "Reaganland: America's Right Turn, 1976-1980." Of course Carter was hurt by stagflation and the Iran hostage crisis, but the race between him and Reagan (with Anderson as the 3rd party candidate) was close, but there were instances of Carter coming off as ornery that last year, which probably didn't help either. But the guy has been an exemplary former president for sure.

If he shows up uninvited, I would hope Rosalynn would beat TFG with her handbag. 

And noted, Spiff.  Sorry.

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Why would they invite him? I figure when he does pass; you will see Bush, Clinton, Obama and Biden there and probably speeches from Biden and Clinton. Don’t know if Obama would give a speech, since I don’t think he had much interaction with Jimmy.

Wonder if Jimmy will have an elaborate funeral or will be simple?

They ask Presidents about that early in their term.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb up 1

How Jimmy Carter Saved a Canadian Nuclear Reactor After a Meltdown

America's 39th president has held a lot of jobs in his time. Apart from being president of the United States (and sometimes while serving as president), Jimmy Carter has been a peanut farmer, preacher, professor and even a parole officer. But he started his adult life as a U.S. Navy officer, most famously working with Adm. Hyman Rickover, the "Father of the Nuclear Navy."

Though he started his naval career aboard diesel electric submarines, Lt. Carter began working with the Naval Reactors Branch of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission -- the Navy's nuclear submarine program -- in 1952.

Rickover was infamous in the Navy for demanding near-absolute perfection from those working under his command. His expectations of the then-28-year-old Carter were no different. The young lieutenant was being groomed as the engineering officer for the nuclear plant aboard the USS Seawolf, the Navy's second nuclear sub, and was designing the training program for its nuclear enlisted personnel.

The Navy's work in developing the first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus, meant that Rickover and Carter had access to the latest and greatest in top-secret nuclear energy technology. So when Canada's Chalk River nuclear research facility experienced a power surge that damaged its reactor, the U.S. sent Carter and his team. He was one of a few people in the world who could do it.

Fuel rods at the research reactor experienced a partial meltdown after the power surge. It ruptured the reactor and flooded the facility's basement with radioactive water, rendering the reactor core unusable.

In his 2015 autobiography, "A Full Life: Reflections At Ninety," Carter described the incident and his preparations for repairing the reactor. They built an exact replica of the reactor, true to the last detail (except the actual nuclear material) on a nearby tennis court to practice and track their progress.

Carter and his 22 other team members were separated into teams of three and lowered into the reactor for 90-second intervals to clean the site. It was estimated that a minute-and-a-half was the maximum time humans could be exposed to the levels of radiation present in the area.

It was still too much, especially by today's standards. The future president had radioactive urine for months after the cleanup.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Best wishes, Jimmy. He wasn't a perfect president, but few are, and he was dealt a crappy hand during his 4 years. He was honest, transparent, humble, and by most accounts he cared more about America than his political career and legacy. I can't say that about our current president, and certainly not our previous president. 

13 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Best wishes, Jimmy. He wasn't a perfect president, but few are, and he was dealt a crappy hand during his 4 years. He was honest, transparent, humble, and by most accounts he cared more about America than his political career and legacy. I can't say that about our current president, and certainly not our previous president. 

I guess you didn't like the pandemic money that Biden's policies gave out, free money I might add, his helping our economy from the bottom up instead of the top down like the fascist Republicans, doing what he can to slow the inevitable inflation from Trump's tax cuts for the corporations and extremely wealthy at the expense of the poor and middle class, and the other legislation his policies got through Congress to help actual human beings rather than non human corporations and unfeeling wealthy. 

I could go on but you can probably guess that I've hated Republican policies (read tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy that are gutting the poor and middle class) since Ronald Reagan. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I guess you didn't like the pandemic money that Biden's policies gave out, free money I might add, his helping our economy from the bottom up instead of the top down like the fascist Republicans, doing what he can to slow the inevitable inflation from Trump's tax cuts for the corporations and extremely wealthy at the expense of the poor and middle class, and the other legislation his policies got through Congress to help actual human beings rather than non human corporations and unfeeling wealthy. 

I could go on but you can probably guess that I've hated Republican policies (read tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy that are gutting the poor and middle class) since Ronald Reagan. 

Cool story. I'm not disputing that just about every president in history has gotten something right. I clearly expressed my disdain for Trump in my original post (he's who I was referring to when I said "our previous president"). I couldn't tell by your response if you're trying to imply I'm a Trumpie, MAGA, "fascist" Republican, or just regular Republican, as most detractors of Biden are automatically labeled these days (fwiw, I am none of those four). If that wasn't what you were saying, I apologize. 

Anyways, I didn't mean to derail this thread. Just wanted to point out that Jimmy Carter seemed like a genuinely good guy, a quality that seems lacking in a lot of politicians these days on both sides of the aisle, IMO.

• Like 1

Carter is the most genuinely religious President of at least the last 150 years (probably number 1 of all the presidents).

he is also easily the most "fiscally conservative" president of the last 75 years.

the ONLY "conservative" monetary-policy president of the last 100 years.   

of course "conservatives" have hated him with an undying passion for the last 50 years. (although now that he is in his 90s, some ..but only some.. will say he was a good man AFTER he was president).

a truly good man and a truly good president, by any standards.

• Thumb up 5

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

Carter is the most genuinely religious President of at least the last 150 years (probably number 1 of all the presidents).

he is also easily the most "fiscally conservative" president of the last 75 years.

the ONLY "conservative" monetary-policy president of the last 100 years.   

of course "conservatives" have hated him with an undying passion for the last 50 years. (although now that he is in his 90s, some ..but only some.. will say he was a good man AFTER he was president).

a truly good man and a truly good president, by any standards.

I agree that he followed his religious beliefs and practiced the moral life. And it's definitely more than most of the Christians who are now advocating for a Christian Nation although they don't practice the moral life. And I further believe that non Christians can and do practice the moral life.

Carter is the best. 

• Like 1