Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FDA advisers vote to make Narcan available over the counter.

Cooked Crack

• 1 month later...

Narcan, a prescription nasal spray that reverses opioid overdoses, can now be sold over the counter, the Food and Drug Administration said on Wednesday, authorizing a move long-sought by public health officials and treatment experts, who hope wider availability of the medicine will reduce the nation’s alarmingly high drug fatality rates. 

By late summer, over-the-counter Narcan, could be for sale in big-box chains, vending machines, supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations and even online retailers.  The commissioner of the F.D.A., Dr. Robert M. Califf, said in a statement that the over-the-counter authorization was meant to address a “dire public health need.” 

“Today’s approval of OTC naloxone nasal spray will help improve access to naloxone, increase the number of locations where it’s available and help reduce opioid overdose deaths throughout the country. We encourage the manufacturer to make accessibility to the product a priority by making it available as soon as possible and at an affordable price.”

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I guess we will see about that affordable price thing. They should probably be free because drug addicts only spend their money on one thing.

I think the affordability is more for the places that are likely to "host" drug abusers  than for the drug abusers themselves.  

Making it affordable means that schools and small towns and such don't have to make budget decisions when it comes to stocking it. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

And parents or spouses. 

I really don’t think it’s designed for drug abusers to carry. Just the people that wind up finding them OD’d. It gives those people an option that’s quicker than waiting for EMS

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Is it fine to just have one around just in case or do they expire in short time?  Also, is it harmful if given when not a OD situation?  Thinking maybe it should part of the household emergency kit.

NARCAN only blocks opioid receptors so it's a safe drug. Of course there are rare cases of allergic reaction. 

As for shelf life, it should have an expiration date. 2 to 3 years from a quick Google search though is what to expect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Is it fine to just have one around just in case or do they expire in short time?  Also, is it harmful if given when not a OD situation?  Thinking maybe it should part of the household emergency kit.

What they told us last night is that it can be good for three years.  It may have an expiration date, but you should not let that deter you in an emergency.

Store it where you store other medications. In other words, don’t store it in your car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Fwiw expiration dates are basically how long companies can guarantee shelf life through testing. So newer drugs generally can't have a long shelf life because their isn't testing data to show it. 

It's why expiration dates of these at-home covid tests are now being extended beyond what's on the packaging. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

It will be in ours. 

It should be in everyone’s. If keeping one around allows you to unexpectedly save a life one day, it’s worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Our local school system recently had a training seminar on how to use Narcan, because a kid recently OD'd and his two buddies freaked out and just left him in the bathroom.  If they'd contacted a school administrator the kid could've been saved.

My wife and daughter both attended and got the training.  So we will have Narcan around on the off chance it's needed.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, tshile said:

And parents or spouses. 

I really don’t think it’s designed for drug abusers to carry. Just the people that wind up finding them OD’d. It gives those people an option that’s quicker than waiting for EMS

I'll mention. 

I'm a nurse. And I currently work at a county jail, doing medical screening on people being brought into jail. 

And I have had multiple people tell me about drug addicts carrying Narcan, and using it on each other, to save each other's lives, when one of them ODs. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1