Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders vs. The Giants ~ DJ Meets Moxie Maker: Part Deux - Paloffs Is NOW!!!

zCommander

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

I found the 2007 thread but not the original one but it worked both times. 

So paloffs had double magic powers!!!

THAT even beats the power of DOUBLE FISTING MAGIC-- we all know from personal experience that after getting the DF treatment you don't come back for a second round.

Heretofore and forever more I am referring to any Future Commander playoff run as PALOFF RUN-

Whoever this one post cat was who started that thread he was damn special...

"The force is strong with this one."

• Haha 1

I thought it emerged around 2005, when the Washington was trying to make the playoffs. 

Somebody Was making a post on what was needed to get into the post-season, and made a typo on the word, playoffs.  Folks thought it was funny, so it stuck.  (A few might even think it's lucky, since Washington did make the "paloffs" that season.)

Maybe, Califan might remember who it was who first coined that term.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

14 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Then where? Why the teaser lol

I figured you saw the other posts before mine lol...

Reiterating: in 2005 when we were 5-6, someone started a thread here wanting to say "Playoffs are now!" to indicate that we needed to win all 5 of our remaining games to make the playoffs. So every game was, in essence, a win or go home scenario, like the playoffs.

However, the guy:

- typed "Paloffs" instead of "Playoffs"

- had the grammatical error of "is" instead of "are"

We all had a laugh and did some good natured ribbing of the guy (no idea who it was). Then, just as he claimed, we won all 5 games and made the playoffs (and won in the wildcard round to boot).

Ever since then, whenever we needed to go on a winning streak to make the playoffs, a "Paloffs is now!" thread was started. We needed to win our last 4 games to make the playoffs in 2007...we won our last 4 games and made the playoffs. We needed to win our last 7 games to make the playoffs in 2012...we won our last 7 games and made the playoffs.

Also, fun fact: right after the original "Paloffs is now" thread was started, Sally Jenkins (I think it was her) wrote an article about how pathetic the team was and how even-more pathetic the fan base was for thinking the team could win 5 in a row to make the playoffs. I thought the timing of her comments were too coincidental and just assumed she saw the Paloffs Is Now thread, read it, rolled her eyes, and then talked about how delusional we all were for thinking 5 in a row was possible. (again, might not have been her who wrote the article)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Also, fun fact: right after the original "Paloffs is now" thread was started, Sally Jenkins (I think it was her) wrote an article about how pathetic the team was and how even-more pathetic the fan base was for thinking the team could win 5 in a row to make the playoffs. I thought the timing of her comments were too coincidental and just assumed she saw the Paloffs Is Now thread, read it, rolled her eyes, and then talked about how delusional we all were for thinking 5 in a row was possible. (again, might not have been her who wrote the article)

Also, at one point Sean Salisbury on TV said that he'd walk naked if the Redskins made the paloffs but then refused to do it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I figured you saw the other posts before mine lol...

Reiterating: in 2005 when we were 5-6, someone started a thread here wanting to say "Playoffs are now!" to indicate that we needed to win all 5 of our remaining games to make the playoffs. So every game was, in essence, a win or go home scenario, like the playoffs.

However, the guy:

- typed "Paloffs" instead of "Playoffs"

- had the grammatical error of "is" instead of "are"

We all had a laugh and did some good natured ribbing of the guy (no idea who it was). Then, just as he claimed, we won all 5 games and made the playoffs (and won in the wildcard round to boot).

Ever since then, whenever we needed to go on a winning streak to make the playoffs, a "Paloffs is now!" thread was started. We needed to win our last 4 games to make the playoffs in 2007...we won our last 4 games and made the playoffs. We needed to win our last 7 games to make the playoffs in 2012...we won our last 7 games and made the playoffs.

Thanks for the history. I thought I was going senile. Then looked up that I joined ES back in 2007 so my memory only went that far back lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh boy, the pressure is on!

With a week to get some much-needed R&R, now its time for focus. 

The Giants lost against the Eagles, and i'm sure they're not happy about it, but now its their season possibly being on the line. A loss to the Comms will put them in a bind, an almost win-out scenario, and they may be emotionally spent.

This game will tell everyone what Washington has planned for the remainder of the season; win or just kinda coast on the idea of 'well it was good while it lasted'. 

The one thing thats been bothering me is TH not getting out of the pocket { whether by design or necessity } because thats where he's the most dangerous; the ability to extend plays, give WRs a chance to get open. Thomas WAS a "go-to" TE, but evidently he's regressed, but still has some good hands, but mainly TH out of hte pocket will be the difference.

I'm thinking the Giants will be smacked in the mouth early and often, or DelRio will have alot of explaining to do. If Chase plays, i'm concerned he may be more of a liability, maybe the coaching staff may have him trying to do too much and getting burned out early, but we'll see.

Still, I think it'll be:

Commies 33

Giants      23

Going to be around the freezing mark around game-time. I'm not thrilled with the idea of Heineke trying to throw a cold, hard, slick football. So ...

" Run Forrest, Run "

Lots of Robinson. Lots of Gibson.

I'm thinking a fairly low scoring game.

Washington  20

N.Y. Giants    17

9 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Going to be around the freezing mark around game-time. I'm not thrilled with the idea of Heineke trying to throw a cold, hard, slick football. So ...

" Run Forrest, Run "

Lots of Robinson. Lots of Gibson.

I'm thinking a fairly low scoring game.

Washington  20

N.Y. Giants    17

I don't think 20 pts is low for the Commanders lol...

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We average 19.5, so it would be a good game.  :ols:

Under Taylor, we average 20.7 on offense, so I suppose technically 20 is “low scoring”, lol.  

But wait!  Add our two defensive scores (over the past 7), and we’re virtually a scoring juggernaut, putting the league on notice with a jaw-dropping 22.7 pts/game.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Under Taylor, we average 20.7 on offense, so I suppose technically 20 is “low scoring”, lol.  

But wait!  Add our two defensive scores (over the past 7), and we’re virtually a scoring juggernaut, putting the league on notice with a jaw-dropping 22.7 pts/game.

I don't know if its the bye or whatever, but I saw something today somewhere that said it's 19.5. I know it was 20.5 going into the Gnats game. Not sure if you're taking out the Wentz games or not though.

Either way, we're talking about the IQ of the smartest kid on the front of the short bus.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like, coming off the bye, we've got all hands on deck for this game.

You gotta love it!

I feel like tossing away my walker and oxygen tank, strapping on my pads, Depends and manssiere and giving the squad a good old man on fire type series or two myself come Sunday.

Let's roll!!!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

Giants-Washington rivalry adds its next chapter with playoff fates in balance

If the Giants played their home games in Gotham City, then the Eagles would almost certainly be the consensus Joker, the archest of their arch-enemies, especially in a year when the Eagles are soaring. The Cowboys would probably check in as the Penguin: always a potential thorn in the side, not quite as menacing as the Joker.

The Commanders? For many fans, they’re the Riddler: still a nemesis, still a contemptible foe, but a step or two behind the others in the pecking order of odium.

There is one notable fan who didn’t see it that way.

“I don’t think there’s any question, the team that makes me feel best when we beat them is Washington,” Wellington Mara told The Post’s Gene Roswell back on Nov. 10, 1972. That was a year of prosperity for the Giants (they finished 8-6) in an otherwise mostly rancid stretch of 17 seasons from 1964 through 1980. But the Giants were 5-3 that day, heading to Washington to face George Allen’s Over-the-Hill Gang, which was 7-1.

“I can think of nothing sweeter,” Mara told The Post scribe, “than ruining their day.”

They tried. They led 7-6 at the half and 10-6 in the third quarter before Washington came roaring back to win 27-13, on their way to a date in Super Bowl VII. Wellington Mara — who’d attended the very first of the 181 games between these two franchises as a 16-year-old on Oct. 9, 1932, a 14-6 win for the then-Boston Braves — never changed his mind, either.

Oh definitely, Washington,” Mara said in January 2001, as his team prepared to play the Ravens in Super Bowl XXXIV. “Always Washington.”

Regardless of how fans may vote in that Gotham City straw poll, there is little doubt that there will be a united front this week. The Giants are full-speed-ahead for a rematch with the Commanders at FedExField Sunday night, a game that shapes up to be a critical step for both of these teams, both 7-5-1, toward clinching a playoff spot.

...This Sunday won’t count as a playoff game, but that’s mere semantics. The winner of Sunday’s game receives nothing more than a one-game boost in the NFC playoff picture, and the loser will not be erased from that photo. But the winner sure will feel a lot better about themselves. And it sure feels like a playoff game.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/13/giants-commanders-rivalrys-next-chapter-critical-to-playoffs/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants-Washington rivalry adds its next chapter with playoff fates in balance

If the Giants played their home games in Gotham City, then the Eagles would almost certainly be the consensus Joker, the archest of their arch-enemies, especially in a year when the Eagles are soaring. The Cowboys would probably check in as the Penguin: always a potential thorn in the side, not quite as menacing as the Joker.

The Commanders? For many fans, they’re the Riddler: still a nemesis, still a contemptible foe, but a step or two behind the others in the pecking order of odium.

There is one notable fan who didn’t see it that way.

“I don’t think there’s any question, the team that makes me feel best when we beat them is Washington,” Wellington Mara told The Post’s Gene Roswell back on Nov. 10, 1972. That was a year of prosperity for the Giants (they finished 8-6) in an otherwise mostly rancid stretch of 17 seasons from 1964 through 1980. But the Giants were 5-3 that day, heading to Washington to face George Allen’s Over-the-Hill Gang, which was 7-1.

“I can think of nothing sweeter,” Mara told The Post scribe, “than ruining their day.”

They tried. They led 7-6 at the half and 10-6 in the third quarter before Washington came roaring back to win 27-13, on their way to a date in Super Bowl VII. Wellington Mara — who’d attended the very first of the 181 games between these two franchises as a 16-year-old on Oct. 9, 1932, a 14-6 win for the then-Boston Braves — never changed his mind, either.

Oh definitely, Washington,” Mara said in January 2001, as his team prepared to play the Ravens in Super Bowl XXXIV. “Always Washington.”

Regardless of how fans may vote in that Gotham City straw poll, there is little doubt that there will be a united front this week. The Giants are full-speed-ahead for a rematch with the Commanders at FedExField Sunday night, a game that shapes up to be a critical step for both of these teams, both 7-5-1, toward clinching a playoff spot.

...This Sunday won’t count as a playoff game, but that’s mere semantics. The winner of Sunday’s game receives nothing more than a one-game boost in the NFC playoff picture, and the loser will not be erased from that photo. But the winner sure will feel a lot better about themselves. And it sure feels like a playoff game.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/13/giants-commanders-rivalrys-next-chapter-critical-to-playoffs/

“I don’t think there’s any question, the team that makes me feel best when we beat them is Washington,” Wellington Mara told The Post..."

image.png.18b26ca386219ecf28d5b9604dd86483.png

"Maraaaaaaaaa!!!"

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

“I don’t think there’s any question, the team that makes me feel best when we beat them is Washington,” Wellington Mara told The Post..."

That jackass's father is responsible for penalizing us for violating the "spirit of the cap" in an uncapped year.  I want to crush the Giants and make their fans reconsider their life decisions.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2