Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monday Night Game Night Thread: Washington at Philly - Heinicke's Last Stand, Wentz if it Hurts

TK
Message added by TK,

1520763020_ScreenShot2022-11-14at11_09_58PM.thumb.png.f702b5530a184659b9ace0bd422e8112.png

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Well I did see some really cool pass plays because of how our run game was working. Moving the chains 5 yards at a time even if they are shorter passes. Our run OL is not that bad either. This year this is what we need to win games. I know you keep on saying when it doesn't work. But isn't that what the coaches and players get paid for. Figure things out and make it work. 

Well, there's only so much you can "make work" when you're basically 1 dimensional. They'll do their best, but if a team shuts down our run game and we're forced to try and beat them in the air, we're not going to fare well probably. Unless they have a trash offense and our defense handles them to where we can possibly pull of a squeaker. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Well, there's only so much you can "make work" when you're basically 1 dimensional. They'll do their best, but if a team shuts down our run game and we're forced to try and beat them in the air, we're not going to fare well probably. Unless they have a trash offense and our defense handles them to where we can possibly pull of a squeaker. 

They were not one dimensional. They converted a ton of third a shorts through the pass game as well. Let’s stop acting like heineke threw for 95 yards and was just handing the ball off, there were a lot of throws he made to help them win that game.

Heineke has two distinct flaws in my opinion, and one makes the other worse. He’s late. The interception was a throw that was open but only for a split second. And not only was he late, but he doesn’t have the arm strength to make that throw late. Some QBs do, heck even Wentz is probably one of those guys. But when you’re late, AND have lower tier arm strength, that’s when you run into some issues. And we see that on display every game, at least a few times. 

Either way though, the mental gymnastics some of you guys do to convince yourselves Heineke is an absolutely atrocious QB that we are lucky to win in spite of is getting to be pretty out there as a take. He has a winning record as a starter of this team, with over a full year sample size. Some backups come in for teams that lose their starters and don’t win another game. So it’s one of two things. We either have the most stacked roster in the league and can have a winning record with the worst QB in football. OR, and far more likely, we have a decent to above average roster that plays hard for him and he makes plays that help the team win more than they lose.

I have read on here a ton that the book on Heineke was written and that d coordinators could stack the box and dare him to throw and he was toast. At the very least, that’s not the case. So hopefully those same individuals can admit they are wrong and enjoy what heineke brings to the table.

Also, before this is quoted as being some Heineke love fest, let me please say that I hope the team explores every option at the QB position going forward and that I welcome an upgrade whether it’s via draft or trade or FA. It’s why I was cool with the Wentz trade, thought it was worth the gamble. I think Heineke is the best backup you could ever ask for, a limited starter overall due to physical limitations. But if I read one more thing about him making the team entirely one dimensional because he can’t throw the ball at all, im going to call it out. He made plenty of throws tonight, in fact, I’d say some of the best he’s ever thrown. Enjoy it and stop making everyone that can recognize what Heineke brings feel like they are a “hiver.”

By the way, I quoted your post but a lot of this is directed toward many posts I’ve seen on the subject. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Watching Post Game Live and they are showing a live shot from Paynes IG account on the plane ride home. Apparently they wrapped Heinicke in a bunch chains ala Cousins but the best part was seeing Heinicke drinking a Busch beer. 

Frickin Busch beer. Talk about why the team rallies behind this guy!

Busch???? Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

I have no idea why that late hit on Heinke is causing such controversy. That was clearly a penalty.  But the missed face mask perhaps changed the game. Regardless I sure didn't think they would run the ball this well, which set up everything.  They haven't created turnovers all year but forced 3 last night and that was the difference  

Such a strange place for me. I had committed to being out on this team until Snyder is gone. Well he's not gone so was I rooting again?  Of course halfway through the game I had my answer.   I sure didn't want to see the Eagles go undefeated and this ends that talk.  

• Like 2

Best Washington game I’ve seen in forever. They looked like a competent football team on both sides of the ball.

It was a great game to watch… both teams slugging it out. Good football. Love how well the Eagles defence tackles… no YAC… as soon as they get their mitts on you your down.

But most impressive was Robinson and Gibson. They ran HARD and decisively. That’s so encouraging.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have no idea why that late hit on Heinke is causing such controversy. That was clearly a penalty.  But the missed face mask perhaps changed the game. Regardless I sure didn't think they would run the ball this well, which set up everything.  They haven't created turnovers all year but forced 3 last night and that was the difference  

Such a strange place for me. I had committed to being out on this team until Snyder is gone. Well he's not gone so was I rooting again?  Of course halfway through the game I had my answer.   I sure didn't want to see the Eagles go undefeated and this ends that talk.  

I think the Heinicke call is tough when you put it in context of what the league as a whole calls these days. Its tough for us to really appreciate what's happening in real time with the speed of the game. I wasn't at all surprised that it got called.

However, at the same time, seeing Heinicke lobby for it and then get all excited is a bit off-putting.

But after the game Graham was a pro and acknowledged that call wasn't the reason the Eagles lost, and it wasn't. The face make call was a clear miss (and Skins fans will cite a couple of PIs in response), but the Eagles D got gashed by the Skins O and an undefeated team shouldn't be down 23-21. Plus give the Skins D credit on a super INT on the pass to Brown and then the other hustle play which forced the fumble on the long pass when it was 26-21.

• Like 2