Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup 2022 Thread (Ole.... oleololeole...ole... ole...)

Fergasun

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Let's decide the Super Bowl with extra point kicking. Or the NBA finals with a free throw competition.  Or how about the Stanley Cup with a shootout.

But soccer going to soccer. 

I normally agree.  But that final was amazing so I really can't bismirch anything. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Let's decide the Super Bowl with extra point kicking. Or the NBA finals with a free throw competition.  Or how about the Stanley Cup with a shootout.

If the nfl limited each team to five subs, they’d barely be moving on the field by the 3rd quarter.  The reason it goes to penalties is because the players are spent and cramping.  

that said… I would prefer bringing back the golden goal.  Overtime should end when a team scores.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Happy for Messi...

I kinda get the emotion in soccer, there's no super bowl equivalent in say premire league wo no release like we see in NFL, world cup comes what only every couple years, same as the Olympics.   

Messi wouldn't of got a shot at another world cup title after this, now or never...

There is Champions League.  The quality of play in the Champions League is better than the World Cup.

I am not one for hyperbole...but I think I agree this is the greatest World Cup game ever (at least since 1998 -- just because I don't know soccer history).   One of the two outgoing GOATs winning over the new GOAT.  

France waking up and Mbappe scoring an iconic goal.  This is why I watch soccer...

10 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

There is Champions League.  The quality of play in the Champions League is better than the World Cup.

Got it, do they have a final match?  Still getting familiar, Wife is Manchester United, so been plenty to throw in her face lately since she loves talking trash about DC teams she's adopted.

Champions League final is May... 

World Cup is more important... the intensity of the tournament and timeframe is crazy.  I wouldn't actually say CL is "better", but it is also exciting.  

For CL, the teams play home and away and have aggregate goals.  But it mixes with the league ...

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The concept of a penalty kick in soccer, even not to decide the game, is just insane. You have a sport where you routinely go entire games without scoring. Most penalties result in a free kick that has, at best, a 1-5% chance of scoring depending on where on the field it occurs. But if that penalty occurs *just* inside that little arbitrary box, suddenly you have a PK that probably has what an 80% chance of scoring? For anything, random contact, incidental stuff, referee judgment, etc. It’s just crazy that people are cool with that routinely deciding games. 

35 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

For sure, in Champions League, Saudi rarely beats Argentina...

Steel feels like Argentina don't really deserve their title. They barely escape a B' France team that got hit by a sudden virus this week that really played 30 minutes in a 120 minutes game.

Their second goal is a thing of collective beauty, but besides that, they where quite meh to me. Dominating but without much excitment as we where waiting for them.

Game went fun when we decided to play a little bit more and at that point, Argentina stopped existing and needed a missed offside (Messi!) at the very beginning of their third goal to take the lead.

image.thumb.png.b4b636f82704d6f5073fb15cb0bfcdd0.png

18 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

The concept of a penalty kick in soccer, even not to decide the game, is just insane. You have a sport where you routinely go entire games without scoring. Most penalties result in a free kick that has, at best, a 1-5% chance of scoring depending on where on the field it occurs. But if that penalty occurs *just* inside that little arbitrary box, suddenly you have a PK that probably has what an 80% chance of scoring? For anything, random contact, incidental stuff, referee judgment, etc. It’s just crazy that people are cool with that routinely deciding games. 

I believe you're mistaking free kicks and penalty kicks. Penatlies are also different from those shootout sessions at the end of the game as action goes on after a penalty, when in the shootout session it's over if the goalkeeper stops it (you don't have a second chance).

Edited by Wildbunny

@Wildbunny

Messi was an an offside position, but the ball wasn't kicked to him, so it is not an offsides penalty.  To act like that was a referee error is ridiculous.  

If you watch soccer enough, you get used to the PKs.  I do agree that there is a skill to PKs... hence felt Argentina had the advantage.  Lloris is bad at saving PKs and Emiliano is better.  Argentina have also had to go through more PKs.  

We are never going to get golden goal or a hockey "8 v 8" system... which is also fair.  These are how the rules have been. 

35 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Champions League final is May... 

World Cup is more important... the intensity of the tournament and timeframe is crazy.  I wouldn't actually say CL is "better", but it is also exciting.  

For CL, the teams play home and away and have aggregate goals.  But it mixes with the league ...

Wrong.  Champions league quality is >>>> over World Cup.  You can like the latter better and that’s fine, but CL is obviously way more skilled.

22 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

For sure, in Champions League, Saudi rarely beats Argentina...

Steel feels like Argentina don't really deserve their title. They barely escape a B' France team that got hit by a sudden virus this week that really played 30 minutes in a 120 minutes game.

Their second goal is a thing of collective beauty, but besides that, they where quite meh to me. Dominating but without much excitment as we where waiting for them.

Game went fun when we decided to play a little bit more and at that point, Argentina stopped existing and needed a missed offside (Messi!) at the very beginning of their third goal to take the lead.

image.thumb.png.b4b636f82704d6f5073fb15cb0bfcdd0.png

I believe you're mistaking free kicks and penalty kicks. Penatlies are also different from those shootout sessions at the end of the game as action goes on after a penalty, when in the shootout session it's over if the goalkeeper stops it (you don't have a second chance).

He was in an offside position, but the ball wasn’t played to him in that moment and he regained an onside position before touching the ball.

Its actually a tactic (not in this instance) to send a player into an offside position, freak out the defense, then hit another guy who was legal with a pass to crack open the defense.

In other words, you can be offside all day long but if you’re not affecting the play, it’s not a stopper.

Edited by 86 Snyder

1 minute ago, Fergasun said:

@Wildbunny

Messi was an an offside position, but the ball wasn't kicked to him, so it is not an offsides penalty.  To act like that was a referee error is ridiculous.  

Ball goes from right to left, messi is entirely in the play at that moment, so that's an offside. Definately. It doesn't matter if he's the destination of the pass, what matters is being part of the play and he definately is part of it.

That part of the rule was to prevent guy being on the opposite side of the play, going backwards and such to cancel an action. That's not what Messi is doing here.

I could also talk about the Yellow card Giroud took. Why did it took it? Because the defender made a pass to his goalkeeper with the knee. Which is also forbidden.

Regarding the shootout session, it was obvious we couldn't win it. Griezman, Rabiot, Varane and Giroud were subbed and we only had Mbappe as someone with experience here. So ending was obvious.

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

Ball goes from right to left, messi is entirely in the play at that moment, so that's an offside. Definately. It doesn't matter if he's the destination of the pass, what matters is being part of the play and he definately is part of it.

That part of the rule was to prevent guy being on the opposite side of the play, going backwards and such to cancel an action. That's not what Messi is doing here.

I could also talk about the Yellow card Giroud took. Why did it took it? Because the defender made a pass to his goalkeeper with the knee. Which is also forbidden.

Regarding the shootout session, it was obvious we couldn't win it. Griezman, Rabiot, Varane and Giroud were subbed and we only had Mbappe as someone with experience here. So ending was obvious.

Nope.  Defense can just ignore if they so choose.  That’s the rule.

Edited by 86 Snyder