Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Felonious Farty 45

88Comrade2000

Trump loses first of several bids to toss suit seeking to block him from Colorado ballot

Former President Donald Trump has lost the first of several attempts to throw out a lawsuit that seeks to block him from the 2024 presidential ballot in Colorado, based on the 14th Amendment’s prohibition against insurrectionists holding public office.

Colorado District Judge Sarah Wallace this week rejected Trump’s bid to get the lawsuit dismissed on free-speech grounds.

The former president still has several pending challenges against the case, which was initiated by a liberal government watchdog group.

A trial to determine Trump’s eligibility is set for October 30, if the case reaches that stage. Colorado election officials say there’s a “hard deadline” to resolve the dispute before January 5, when the ballot printing process begins for the March 5 Republican primary.

A post-Civil War provision of the 14th Amendment says American officials who take an oath to uphold the Constitution are disqualified from future office if they “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” or if they have “given aid or comfort” to insurrectionists. But the Constitution does not spell out how to enforce this ban, and it has been applied only twice since the late 1800s, when it was used against former Confederates.

In a 22-page ruling, Wallace said she wasn’t swayed by Trump’s argument that the lawsuit seeks to improperly restrict his rights to participate in the political process.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Pono said:

Not sure why individuals continue to engage him.

I had 5 minutes to kill before leaving for leaving for the closing shift at work

7 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Two people not from the Pittsburgh area using yinz now.

These jagoffs are appropriating our culture. If I ever seen 'em dahntahn I'm gonna lay 'em aht n'at.

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This is not a bit folks, what you see is what you get. 

This is the same person who, as an adult, claimed without a hint of guile that he *literally could not cook*. That it was beyond him. 

*Years* later, he bought some cookbooks and actually gave it some effort, and now he loves posting his food for us to see. 

Give it time. In about 5 years he will be telling us all about how r/[PresidentName] is a silly place to get a realistic perspective of the president, and he'll also remind us that no person can possibly be unbiased.

These are of course basic ideas that are central to operating on the internet as an adult, but we will all smile and nod. For him they are landmark ideas that will change his life forever. 

• Haha 1

If it’s not at the top of the popular page of Reddit, I typically don’t see any politics on there. I just use my home Reddit and follow music, nfl, plants, animals and funny crap. News gets in their sometimes but I block whatever section it comes from. I used to like damnthatsinteresting but it’s turned into a lot of political crap and I had to block it

one very large issue with Reddit is to keep in mind that they are partially owned by China. So if you see anyone say anything bad about China, there seems to be 1000 defenders in there. There is also a ton of negative U.S. talking points that get regurgitated on there. 

Take comments on Reddit with a massive grain of a salt. 

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Wasserman not optimistic on Biden's 2024 chances:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1713182445141402038

Edit: Counterthread to Wasserman:

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1713195207376687400

Thanks for posting this. Wasserman is top notch, so you have to take him seriously. I’m currently too drunk to parse this, but will circle back tomorrow. 

The Latest DeSantis Campaign Stunt: A State of Emergency in Florida Because of Israel-Hamas War

DeSantis is using the horror of the Israel-Hamas war as a campaign stunt, to protect Florida from non-existence violence and calling himself the “most pro-Israel governor” in the country.

Gov. Ron DeSantis has declared a state of emergency in Florida—some 6,500 miles from the Israeli-Hamas war that’s broken out in the Middle East—to cope with any violence that might break out over here.

The declaration will mean activation of the Florida National Guard and the Florida State Guard, the latter of which answers to DeSantis alone. Jeremy Redfern, press secretary to the governor, confirmed that the state will send aircraft to Israel to evacuate Americans and deliver supplies.

DeSantis’ seven-page emergency order doesn’t say directly what this means for average Floridians, except for plans to boost security around pro-Israeli and pro-Palestinian demonstrations, including on campuses.

Emergency declarations allow disaster managers to cut through administrative and budgetary red tape to respond to a crisis. Kevin Guthrie, director of the Florida Division of Emergency Management, will manage the response. They also are intended to smooth coordination with other states and the federal government where warranted.

“This Executive Order allows the State of Florida to carry out logistical, rescue and evacuation operations to keep its residents safe. Specifically, this order enables the Florida Division of Emergency Management to bring Floridians home and transport necessary supplies to Israel,” DeSantis communications director Jason Mahon said in a written statement.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 2

49 minutes ago, China said:

I'm curious.  13 months out from the 2020 election, how did Wasserman view Trump's chances to win?

Wasserman wrote this in July of 2019:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1031601

Seemed fairly logical to me. I thought Trump would win reelection by a narrower electoral margin than 2016. Still believe he would have, but his behavior during covid just emphasized how erratic he is and that was the main thing that did him in.

Covid is going to lead to two straight presidents being defeated after one term, IMO. The inflation mainly resulting from the amount of money pumped into the economy in 2020-21 is still hanging over Biden. Plus his age.

And unfortunately the GOP is a cult. 

Edited by hail2skins

Wasserman said that there's 50M voters who only vote during the Presidential elections.  And they skew GOP.  

2012: 130M voters

2014: 77M voters 

2016: 136M voters

2018: 120M voters

2020: 158M voters

2022: 107M voters

I buy that there are more voters in Presidential years.  Even that Trump elections energize more voters (2016, 2018 and 2020)...

I don't buy that they skew one way or that we can tell who is energized.  Otherwise, 2012 would have skewed to Mitt.   

6 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Wasserman wrote this in July of 2019:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1031601

Seemed fairly logical to me. I thought Trump would win reelection by a narrower electoral margin than 2016. Still believe he would have, but his behavior during covid just emphasized how erratic he is and that was the main thing that did him in.

And that is my point.  A lot of stuff can happen in 13 months.  Nobody predicted Covid, and is Trump's mishandling of it is one of the largest reasons he lost.  So any predictions now are pointless.  Both Trump and Biden are old.  One or both could stroke out or die.  I'll start looking at polls and predictions more seriously 6 months from now.

• Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I don't buy that they skew one way or that we can tell who is energized.  Otherwise, 2012 would have skewed to Mitt.   

Piggy backing off @PleaseBlitz

conventional wisdom (always dangerous, I know) is that the dems base needs to be motivated and does not reliably vote - young people are probably the biggest and most discussed bloc but there’s others. Meanwhile Republican base shows up (almost) every election and are extremely reliable. 

this is why we can see different trends between the two cycles and you see dems work so hard to get out the vote in non-presidential years.  Their voting base is very fickle. It’s why the “red wave” predicted in 2022 that didn’t come is commonly explained as not happening because roe v wade overturn happened which energized a group that often doesn’t vote in midterms. And republicans still “won” that election, just not by the margin required to reduce their crazy subset to having no real power (hence what we’re seeing with the speaker vote)

Trump has turned conventional wisdom on its head and the overturning of RvW makes it hard to know and predict things but long term this has been accepted as truth. So I’m not trying to die on the hill of this theory holds water absolutely, just explaining why people say it. 

• Like 1