Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

12 hours ago, Commander PK said:

I’m resolved to whatever they do about the brand at this point, to include keeping it the way it is, but I do know they will never pick an obtainable name that is universally liked no matter how cool.  A sizable chunk of the Facebook comments crowd is still all in on returning to Redskins.

For years it was change the name.  Now it’s change it again.  I’m beyond exhausted by the never ending discussion/complaining.  I’m a Commanders fan until/if/when it is changed again.  I will then call them whatever it is changed to, because they are my home team regardless of their name.  

The name and colors etc are not the brand. They are the visual identity of the brand - which is an important component but only one component. The brand (any brand) only exists in peoples minds and is a combination of your/our total experience with that product or organization. It’s the stadium, its the people you sit with and around, its the food/concessions, its how you are treated when you call up for tickets, increasingly its the digital (and media) experience and CRUCIALLY with a sports team if its if we win or lose. 

The Redskins brand for many my age was built around Joe Gibbs and winning. 

For the brand going forward, whatever the name/visual identity (and to some extent it doesn’t matter what that is), to be successful everything about the experience has to be invested in and improved - but winning is key.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan was told Magic Johnson's investment in this team will be much bigger than what he did with the Dodgers.  2 to 3 times more than that.  So in the 100-150 million range

Magic owing a whopping 2 to 2.5%! Wow stop the presses. It’s a needle mover. No other bids needed. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, “Misdirection” said:

@Skinsinparadise I’m surprised you’ve only just started with Galdi’s podcast. When reading your radio segment breakdowns I always wondered why that wasn’t included

I haven't just started.  I used to listen to Galdi way back to even when he was just on Saturday on 980.  What I just started doing is listening to him first thing in the morning.  Previously, I listened to Sheehan first, but I'd get to Galdi eventually, heck I even quoted a Galdi podcast for something I posted here a couple of days ago.

@Skinsinparadise 

Sheehan is morphing into Loverro, the Junkies have been clowns for decades, and somehow Grant & Danny and JP and Bmitch are the best we have left, if you can believe it.

I guess disagree a little here.  I still love Sheehan even though I agree he's becoming a bit more grumpy like Loverro. But I assume when Dan sells he will get some of his verve for this team back -- he admits Dan sapped out his passion for the team.  I do like Finlay.  I do like Grant-Danny though they are annoying when they get on their soap box.

oh and so not to derail any further, it’s been pretty quiet on the sale news front lately… has to be something brewing!

As discussed here yesterday, Keim weeks ago alluded to nothing will happen during the owner's meeting week but didn't rule out this week.  Will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't just started.  I used to listen to Galdi way back to even when he was just on Saturday on 980.  What I just started doing is listening to him first thing in the morning.  Previously, I listened to Sheehan first, but I'd get to Galdi eventually, heck I even quoted a Galdi podcast for something I posted here a couple of days ago.

I guess disagree a little here.  I still love Sheehan even though I agree he's becoming a bit more grumpy like Loverro. But I assume when Dan sells he will get some of his verve for this team back -- he admits Dan sapped out his passion for the team.  I do like Finlay.  I do like Grant-Danny though they are annoying when they get on their soap box.

As discussed here yesterday, Keim weeks ago alluded to nothing will happen during the owner's meeting week but didn't rule out this week.  Will see.

Anytime Loverro is on Sheehan, it is an automatic non-listen.  He lost me when he admitted he'd make stuff up to force Snyder to sell.  That should be a ex-communication for any "journalist".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Conn said:

lol come back to reality man, the logo was never staying the same. Ever. Under any circumstance. 

What is wrong with the logo? It is one of the most iconic logos in all sports. I thought the issue was the name? That logo is 100 percent non offensive and was actually designed by a native american. 

Washington's logo has been an Indian chief since 1971. It was designed by Native American Walter “Blackie” Wetzel to depict a member of the Blackfeet tribe. Wetzel grew up on the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana and was eventually elected president of the National Congress of American Indians in Washington, D.C

• Like 2

Just now, tomwvr said:

What is wrong with the logo? It is one of the most iconic logos in all sports. I thought the issue was the name? That logo is 100 percent non offensive and was actually designed by a native american. 

Washington's logo has been an Indian chief since 1971. It was designed by Native American Walter “Blackie” Wetzel to depict a member of the Blackfeet tribe. Wetzel grew up on the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana and was eventually elected president of the National Congress of American Indians in Washington, D.C

Nothing is wrong with it the way we look at it. It always appeared a symbol of pride to me, but it doesn't matter.  They can't go back to it and we will have to find something we can identify with.  Commanders ain't it.  I truly hope they rebrand to something we can all get behind because until they do people will still be calling them Redskins.  Unfortunately there's no putting the genie back in the bottle though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Monte51Coleman said:

Only principal investors matter. Any of the myriad of reported very minority investors are being brought in as window dressing or, in the case of RGIII, to pretend that they matter in some way.

It is actually typically moronic from a business perspective to buy a minority share in a team during a sale. They typically pay at the sale price. So if it’s Harris, and Magic will own 2% he will have to invest 2% of 6 billion. 

Based on past reality when the minority investors divest outside of the majority selling, there is a huge drop in value. Dwight Schar and Fred Smith owned roughly 40% of this team. They sold for $900 million 24 months ago. 

To buy in now assuming it sells for 6 billion 40% costs $2.4 Billion.

These aren’t stupid people and have been around the block so maybe Harris is including some sort of control and input to get the investment? Maybe that’s why RG3 is talking about his future role with the team? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

The Redskins name was selected by Lone Star Dietz back in 1933. For year, people believed Dietz was a Native American, but it turns out he was a sham:

Dietz's true heritage remains controversial. Although he is recognized as an "Indian athlete" by Dan Snyder, owner of the Washington Commanders (formerly known as the Washington Redskins), Indian Country Today Media Network ran a series of articles in 2004 exposing Dietz as a white man masquerading as a Native American.[3] In 1988, the National Congress of American Indians attempted to meet and discuss the issue with the team's former owner, Jack Kent Cooke, but Cooke refused a meeting. Researcher Linda Waggoner traced Dietz's heritage in several articles in Indian Country Today Media Network and at a 2013 symposium at the National Museum of the American Indian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Dietz

Magic Johnson specifically even though putting in just 50 million for the Dodgers, was a key part of the PR team, pushing the organization.

I presume similar idea here.

Magic is about as cool as it gets as to being a sports celebrity.  The Dodgers milked that.  As the Sportico reporter spoke about.

Is there a more uncool organization than this one?  So I presume that's the same idea here for Magic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Magic Johnson specifically even though putting in 50 million for the Dodgers, was a key part of the PR team, pushing the organization.

Magic is about as cool as it gets as to being a sports celebrity.  The Dodgers milked that.  As the Sportico reporter spoke about.

Is there a more uncool organization that this one?  So I presume that's the same idea here for Magic.

Magic in charge of PR. RG3 in charge of personnel. What could be cooler than that?

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Magic Johnson specifically even though putting in 50 million for the Dodgers, was a key part of the PR team, pushing the organization.

Is there a more uncool organization that this one?  So I presume that's the same idea here for Magic.

Exactly. Window dressing but of a fine and necessary quality. His business acumen and good will are his capital, not his money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Galdi's podcast.  I think it’s going to be a new thing for me first thing in the morning, he's good. I've always liked him.  And it sucks that Sheehan is now at 10 am and there is no other options aside from the Junkies. 

image.gif.a0cf996cc72babcab96fb32008254b68.gif

if you feel Like your life is missing a grouchy boomer who hates everything, you can always listen to his podcast. Which is essentially an abbreviation of his show anyway.  Assuming you can tolerate squeaky twice a week.  Which I can’t.  They undoubtedly have good chemistry, but the IQ of the show is SO low it’s unlistenable. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I gather you would say incorporating Bruce Allen but I think that ship has sailed. 

Step 1 is RG3 gaining control. What he does with that control afterward is just pure speculation.  He is friendly with Lamar. So there is that.

2 minutes ago, Monte51Coleman said:

Not personnel, the social media accounts. 😉

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/.amp/news/robert-griffin-iii-in-charge-of-commanders-when-dan-snyder-sells-washington-new-owners

3 minutes ago, Monte51Coleman said:

Not personnel, the social media accounts. 😉

You know i have no idea who is in charge of their social media, but they have been doing a fantastic job!  I hope they get to stay.

1 hour ago, Monte51Coleman said:

I never said that anyone was making anything up. They are all reading the tea leaves like everyone else. This entire process has been impressively been kept close to the vest.

’I heard it from a friend who heard from a friend who heard it from another…’

I hear you but Keim in particular, isn't throwing I heard from a friend who heard it from a friend stuff.  That's shady reporting.  As Cooley liked to joke the reason why Keim is almost never wrong is he gets 7 sources to confirm.

there have been stories broken about the sale that have proven to be correct, so my larger point is i don't think we know just as much Keim, etc as to what's going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monte51Coleman said:

I seriously doubt that Keim, Sheehan, etal know anymore than any average fan does. It’s not like they signed NDAs.

Keim and Sheehan are journalists with sources, so I wouldn't be surprised if they knew a little bit more. But neither are in any sort of inner circle or anything.