Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders > Colts

KDawg

3 minutes ago, method man said:

Payne is at his best as a penetrating 3 tech and using him as a NT is underselling his ability. Mathis and Ridgway are both NTs who can eat up blockers to allow this team to play a lot of 5 man front

Unfortunately the issue with Payne in that spot is that Allen is significantly better in that role 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This is where we need to trade some dl talent to accrue some draft capitol before the contract hurts the deal. cant spend 4 1sts on a specific unit and not get anything in return as far as trophies or compensation..,,,dont make oline mistakes

32 minutes ago, method man said:

He is but they do play a lot of 5 man front. Both guys also play 80%+ of snaps, which is insane. I’d like to see both between 60%-70%

Out of necessity due to their abysmal roster building. They don’t have enough LBs to play base. Their Secondary depth isn’t there to play nickel and dime. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dunfer said:

This is where we need to trade some dl talent to accrue some draft capitol before the contract hurts the deal. cant spend 4 1sts on a specific unit and not get anything in return as far as trophies or compensation..,,,dont make oline mistakes

We can’t resign all 4 first rounders so someone needs to go. However regardless of how Payne has been playing no one is gonna give us a first round pick possibly a second but I doubt it considering he’s a free agent next year. Keep him on the team and if we can’t or don’t resign him, then we get a third in compensatory. 

Edited by skinsfan93

8 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Lucas wasn't great, surprised with his PFF grade.

Those scores are for the season, not one game.

I don't take PFF as gospel but its interesting.  Even though for example Jamin Davis overall score is pedestrian, he started off with bad scores but its continued to climb for example to good scores.  For younger players its interesting to me to track progress. 

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

That win against brady and the Bucs last season, that wasn’t a good win? 

You got to remember Rivera coached that game, so it wasn't a good win.  Everything with this team is bad, no silver linings anywhere, defense sucks too. 😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Unfortunately the issue with Payne in that spot is that Allen is significantly better in that role 

Allen is better playing 3 technique-nose on the left side versus the right?  That's basically the main difference between the two.  Both play 3-nose.   Payne plays 0-1 along with 3 a bit more than Allen. Payne almost always on the left.  Allen almost always on the right. Some think Allen never plays nose but he does at times.   So Allen would be better on the left side versus the right and playing more 0-1 than he does now?

Saban had Allen on the right often, too. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I didn't even realize before the game that Nick Foles was on the Colts.  To me that tells me the coaches are either tanking outright or they turned the page on Matt Ryan already and want to see what they have in Ehlinger so they know how to proceed going into the offseason.  Unless Foles is also hurt and/or was brought in late and isn't ready to play?  Makes no sense to me that if you are trying to win games right now that you would put in Ehlinger to debut against a good defense over Foles.  Now I am not saying the Colts win with Foles because for all we know the defense is going to perform well regardless.  The bigger issue was the offense scoring under 20 points again.

No team sitting at 3-3-1 in a weak division is going to tank.  Chris Ballard and Frank Reich won't quit on a season because they are competent professionals.  If they won on Sunday, they're A half game back from their division lead with half the season to play.  I'm guessing the reason they benched Ryan for Ehlinger is because Ryan is hurt and their OL has fallen apart and they haven't been able to get their passing offense blocked all season.  It's why Ryan has struggled so much this year.  So they are going with the healthy QB who can run and mitigate their protection issues.  Foles is just as big a statue as Ryan and he's not nearly as good, there is no upside to benching Ryan for him unless Ryan was totally incapable of playing.

11 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

He really is coming into his own and I contribute a lot of it on JDR calling him out. 

Nah man, calling your players out in the media is bad coaching.  It's counterproductive finger pointing at best, and a coach with as much experience as Del Rio should have known better.  I bet he regrets doing it.  Jamin is playing better because he's seeing things better and settling in to his role on a defense that is playing better as a whole.  He was always going to be a project, but he also demonstrated at Kentucky that his motor and range are fantastic, that he can hang with guys in coverage, and that he can make a lot of positive plays in a chase and hit role once he starts seeing the field well.  Nobody is beating him to the edge when he keys fast except maybe like a Jason Kelce type super athlete future HoFer.  And you can confidently play him in man against most backs and tight ends.

Holcomb has been playing a lot better as the season progressed too, and they've been a good line backing duo.  A big part of that is the DL has been dominating and the secondary has found a rhythm now that WJIII has been benched and Curl got healthy.  And a big part of it is Davis and Holcomb are super athletes and are just playing well now.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I had hoped to post this yesterday but work got in the way.  When was the last time we saw our quarterback execute a successful quarterback sneak?

TH hit the perfect hole to get in there.  

Pretty sure it’s happened this season. I recall wentz successfully executing a Qb sneak, maybe in the jaguars game? Or titans/bears game. 

if not this year, then last season. It definitely hasn’t been a lifetime though 

12 hours ago, xxprodigyxx said:

i am done with the dax milne experiment. i don't recall if cam sims can play the slot or punt return...i'd put him in over milne for both and i don't feel bad about it.

FYI Dax Milne barely played while Sims played most of the game. If your frustrations were towards the 3rd WR not producing, then it should be directed at Sims.

We need Dotson back. Badly.

I just don't buy the "we can't afford to keep our entire DL" argument. The contracts are gonna be well staggered out. If Payne were to sign a long term deal, it'd be two years after Allen. Sweat we wouldn't have to resign until 2024, which by then Allen's deal I believe expires anyway. Young we could wait until 2025. We're not talking about signing four guys all in the same off season.

And also, its not like we're flooded with a bunch of star players we need to resign. Who exactly are we saving the money for? We already resigned McLaurin. The only other guy that's coming up is probably Curl and even then he's not a FA until 2024. And we don't have a QB that's gonna be making a lot of money, especially after we most likely cut Wentz and draft a QB(Heinicke won't cost much even if he's the placeholder starter).

I mean we've seen the Bucs win a Super Bowl and bring the whole team back. The rams won a Super Bowl and ADDED expensive pieces like Allen Robinson and Bobby Wagner. There are no excuses.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Nah man, calling your players out in the media is bad coaching.  It's counterproductive finger pointing at best, and a coach with as much experience as Del Rio should have known better.  I bet he regrets doing it.  Jamin is playing better because he's seeing things better and settling in to his role on a defense that is playing better as a whole.  He was always going to be a project, but he also demonstrated at Kentucky that his motor and range are fantastic, that he can hang with guys in coverage, and that he can make a lot of positive plays in a chase and hit role once he starts seeing the field well.  Nobody is beating him to the edge when he keys fast except maybe like a Jason Kelce type super athlete future HoFer.  And you can confidently play him in man against most backs and tight ends.

Holcomb has been playing a lot better as the season progressed too, and they've been a good line backing duo.  A big part of that is the DL has been dominating and the secondary has found a rhythm now that WJIII has been benched and Curl got healthy.  And a big part of it is Davis and Holcomb are super athletes and are just playing well now.

Rule of thumb in the military for me was always praise in public and discipline in private. You stand a chance of losing the respect of your guys if you talk **** about them in public. Big no no.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Super fun fact about Ridgeway, he was a 5th rounder in the 2022 draft from the Dallas Cowboys. We claimed him, so we have his full rookie contract left. He and Phidarian Mathis are two rookie DT's that can help keep the unit strong for awhile. Based on those clips, he's already performing better in that role than Tim Settle was.

I just love that Dallas drafted him for us.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Nah man, calling your players out in the media is bad coaching.

Im not going to argue whether this is a bad move or not. I have my opinion and you have yours.

Jamin was “babied” all last year with Ron and JDR saying how he impressive he was and always positive comments. His first game this year in a win by the way and JDR calls him out and coincidentally he has made huge strides ever since. Just saying. 

Just say no to participation trophies. 

image.jpeg.de26e08ca08ce34ee07240b4cfd78bea.jpeg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

FYI Dax Milne barely played while Sims played most of the game. If your frustrations were towards the 3rd WR not producing, then it should be directed at Sims.

We need Dotson back. Badly.

Dax is a former 7th round pick and it shows. His punt returning skills are non existent. Sure he has not fumbled a return but we may as well just have someone back there fair catching. We recently elevated that wideout Kyric maybe he can return punts or Jahan could too. 

As far as receiving, yes need Dotson back!

• Like 1

Still calling bunk that suddenly our DL and LB and DBs are playing better. Does anyone think they didn't know how to play before 3 games ago.

IMHO JDR changed things up and unleashed the front 7 and would be willing to bet it included Jamin specifically not reading as much.

28 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I get it, but the he's not the one fumbling the ball, or having their highly paid OL play poorly. They went from a dominant rushing attack last season to the worst run offense this season. They've got the 5th highest paid Center in football, and our rookie 5th rounder had his way with him.

I think this is just Irsay being angry and making rash moves. Feels like every week after a loss he has to fire/bench someone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RandyHolt said:

Still calling bunk that suddenly our DL and LB and DBs are playing better. Does anyone think they didn't know how to play before 3 games ago.

IMHO JDR changed things up and unleashed the front 7 and would be willing to bet it included Jamin specifically not reading as much.

The DL has been good all year.

I don't think Del Rio did anything but benching Jackson and moving St. Juste to the outside has been a huge improvement. Not only is Juste better physically, he doesn't get confused nearly as much.

Having Curl return after missing the first two games has been huge too. He is PFF's highest rated Safety and adds a legitimate force on the back end that can clean up near the LoS.

Davis is playing better. I think the game is simply slowing down for him. Holcomb has always been in that range of decent to pretty good when he isn't asked to also be the captain and Curl coming back has helped alleviate some of that pressure.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1