Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Beers N Commanders

KDawg

The defense for the most part was good, but in such a close game, they nearly lost based on 2-3 big plays given up. 

The offense seems to be regressing every week.  The offense actually looked worse last night then they have in some of their losses.  It seems like right now D-coordinators have figured out that if you take away the deeper routes, there just isn't a whole lot to worry about in the passing game when it comes to Scott Turner's scheme.  The O-line is obviously a part of it, but maybe it is Wentz not pulling the trigger on the shorter routes, trying to hold out too long for the bigger stuff?   I did like how they finally seemed to use McLaurin in all sorts of different ways.  Slants, screens, short passes.  The guy always seems to manage to make the first defender miss, it is imperative that you put the ball in his hands minimum 10 times a game regardless of how you do it.  BRob was looking better, even Gibson showed some of his athleticsm in the run game.

21 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The defense for the most part was good, but in such a close game, they nearly lost based on 2-3 big plays given up. 

The offense seems to be regressing every week.  The offense actually looked worse last night then they have in some of their losses.  It seems like right now D-coordinators have figured out that if you take away the deeper routes, there just isn't a whole lot to worry about in the passing game when it comes to Scott Turner's scheme.  The O-line is obviously a part of it, but maybe it is Wentz not pulling the trigger on the shorter routes, trying to hold out too long for the bigger stuff?   I did like how they finally seemed to use McLaurin in all sorts of different ways.  Slants, screens, short passes.  The guy always seems to manage to make the first defender miss, it is imperative that you put the ball in his hands minimum 10 times a game regardless of how you do it.  BRob was looking better, even Gibson showed some of his athleticsm in the run game.

What surprises me is how the creative use of Curtis Samuel has decreased so significantly since the first half of the Jacksonville game. There have been flashes here and there but they need to figure out how to use him correctly. He is not a deep ball receiver despite that speed because he doesn't track the ball well. Let him continue to get open over the middle and take handoffs.

I also believe that they are really missing Dotson and Thomas right now. As others have mentioned, they win the Tennessee game in the red zone with Dotson. He is easily their best end zone threat given how he can get open, his catch radius and ability to make difficult catches.

Also given the pass protection limits of this offensive line, I think they have shifted to the formula that was winning them games during the 4 game win streak last year. The issue is that they were doing it by not giving up explosive plays or minimizing them. This team is still giving up 2-3 explosive plays a game to bad teams. I hate to say it but they need to go with a full youth movement and sit Fuller. I like Fuller the player a lot and his effort but he has certainly lost a step and is responsible for so many of these big plays. Some mix of Holmes, TCF and Corn Elder can't be worse.

At the end of the day, the players are limited by the schemes that Turner and JDR run. Turner has zero feel for calling a game in rhythm and JDR's scheme is easy to scheme against and is set up in a way where big plays are inevitable

• Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, method man said:

What surprises me is how the creative use of Curtis Samuel has decreased so significantly since the first half of the Jacksonville game. There have been flashes here and there but they need to figure out how to use him correctly. He is not a deep ball receiver despite that speed because he doesn't track the ball well. Let him continue to get open over the middle and take handoffs.

Same with Gibson.  In the season opener Gibson looked like one of the best pass catchers on the team, he was all over the place and usually in a lot of space.  Now maybe the O-line getting injured and worse seemingly every week following has hurt the creativity, but it seems like the the passing game has been simplified so much that it is  not difficult for the opposing defense to take large portions of the field out of the equation. 

We finally saw something from Cole Turner..  He seems like he has all the tools, that 20 yard laser Wentz threw too him (nearly over threw) is something I want to see a lot more of.  Get those tight ends up the field on seam routes where they are very likely to be matched up with linebackers.  I am not sure if Turner was even in the red zone/goal line packages, maybe the coaches don't trust him yet or they need Bates in there for extra blocking?

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

Here's my take on the game.

It was gawd awful. If Washington played a half decent team, they never would have won. The Bears are pathetic. But so is Washington.

I don't have a great comfort level with Joey Slye. He has a strong leg but I worry about his accuracy. Time will tell.

When are we going to start using our tall tight ends and receiver in the end zone?

Scott Turner rarely calls a good game. There may be a few good plays but overall his play calling is underwhelming.

I LOVED hearing Al Michaels bashing Snyder. Every broadcaster needs to do this during every game. Don't let up.

Finally, it was nice seeing a center actually snapping the ball to the QB and not rolling it back to him. Welcome back Tyler Larsen!

I really don't know what is going on with Slye. He was very good for us last season. This year, he struggled in the preseason and now it has carried over into the regular season. Just add it to the list of frustrations surrounding the Commanders. Smh.

10 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

and the subsequent close-up of Snyder looking like a disheveled, homeless garden gnome.

That shot was ****ing $$$$  

1 minute ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I really don't know what is going on with Slye. He was very good for us last season. This year, he struggled in the preseason and now it has carried over into the regular season. Just add it to the list of frustrations surrounding the Commanders. Smh.

Seems to be the pattern of kickers that come here.....they look hot, stay for a while, then cool off and suck.   They leave and find success somewhere else....and we bring in someone else to repeat the same process all over again.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

That shot was ****ing $$$$  

Seems to be the pattern of kickers that come here.....they look hot, stay for a while, then cool off and suck.   They leave and find success somewhere else....and we bring in someone else to repeat the same process all over again.  

Don't even get me started on Justin Tucker....I mean Graham Gano. What a weapon he has become for the Giants 😡

• Sad 1

I support the players on this team 100%.

All of them.  

That block Carson threw was pretty insane. Not many QB's make that block and level the guy no less.

The players are giving effort and doing what they are asked to do, for the most part.  I few missed assignments and penalties can be put on them, but that is to be expected.

This year falls on coaching and to a greater extent... ownership.  This whole abortion of a team is Dan Snyder. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If we go 1-1 next two weeks then we are in the playoff hunt! 3-5 is the magic number. Although 2-7 was also good enough in 2020. You guys are too doom and gloom. We have legit players.

……please tell me you’re not serious. 2-7 was only good enough in 2020 because the rest of the division was HOT GARBAGE……

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Has he struggled so far in the regular season? Hes 4/5…. That’s 80%. His only miss being last night. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

……please tell me you’re not serious. 2-7 was only good enough in 2020 because the rest of the division was HOT GARBAGE……

Correct but if we beat Green Bay we are in position for the last wildcard depending on what else happens this weekend. Giants bubble will start deflating this week. Plenty of football left. Every recent playoff season we have had has started as bad or worse than this one.

19 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Last year he was just the guy coming in. Totally playing w/ house money. Everything pressure related could flow off his back.

Now he is THE guy for a team that can barely put up 10 points. Every kick he takes might very well decide the game so they all might as well be 4 sec left end of the game walk-offs in terms of pressure.

A lot of kickers in the league have some assurances that their team's fate is not hanging in the balance on every kick unless they are actually in a game winning scenario. Slye probably feels that pressure on extra point attempts.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think Dan looks that bad or disheveled in that picture. That's a reach.

But yes, Al Michaels delivering an unofficially official message from the League is worth paying attention to.

The stadium deal is everything. And I don't see a path to Dan getting one. The sharks will continue to circle, and eventually the other owners will prepare to go to the mattresses - Dan's Dossiers be Damned.

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Last year he was just the guy coming in. Totally playing w/ house money. Everything pressure related could flow off his back.

Now he is THE guy for a team that can barely put up 10 points. Every kick he takes might very well decide the game so they all might as well be 4 sec left end of the game walk-offs in terms of pressure.

A lot of kickers in the league have some assurances that their team's fate is not hanging in the balance on every kick unless they are actually in a game winning scenario. Slye probably feels that pressure on extra point attempts.

FGs he’s 4/5. And extra points? 6/7. 

1 miss on both, isn’t bad. Not sure why everyone’s making it out as him struggling….

im sure most people would consider Will Lutz to be a good kicker right? Well, he’s 5/9 this season. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

FGs he’s 4/5. And extra points? 6/7. 

1 miss on both, isn’t bad. Not sure why everyone’s making it out as him struggling….

im sure most people would consider Will Lutz to be a good kicker right? Well, he’s 5/9 this season.

He is not struggling. Nobody makes em all.

I'm just pointing out his job is way harder than a lot of other Ks.

I mean we all (rightfully) **** on Turner but some of these guys are wide open. Some of these plays even feel like they are specifically designed for the players that get open but Wentz just locks in on someone (e.g. the bunch formation where Samuel gets open immediately).

Tough look for the QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Panninho said:
I mean we all (rightfully) **** on Turner but some of these guys are wide open. Some of these plays even feel like they are specifically designed for the players that get open but Wentz just locks in on someone (e.g. the bunch formation where Samuel gets open immediately).

Tough look for the QB.

I miss Heinicke making 5 reads in 2 seconds with his noodle arm.

• Haha 1