Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unrest in Iran

Switchgear

I know there have been flare ups in the past. We'll see if this time is different

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/tehran-governor-accuses-protesters-attacks-least-22-arrested-2022-09-20/

Protests raged for a fourth straight day across Iran on Tuesday and authorities said three people had been killed during unrest over the death of a young woman in police custody.

The death last week of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini who was arrested by morality police for "unsuitable attire" unleashed a flood of simmering anger over numerous issues including rights, security and an economy reeling from international sanctions.

It is some of Iran's worst unrest since street clashes last year over water shortages. The Iranian government accuses foreign agents and unspecified terrorists of instigating the violence.

In an apparent effort to defuse tensions, an aide to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei paid condolences to Amini's family, saying that Khamenei was affected and pained by her death.

https://i.imgur.com/5DXOGB0.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ATdjFMc.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Rp2ChSm.mp4

• Like 1

My Google search for ‘women in unsuitable attire’ is not returning the results I was looking for.

44 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Disgusting that governments can commit these types of atrocities. Morality police? Unsuitable attire? Man.... makes you appreciate the freedoms we have in this country. Dictatorships man...they suck.

And the “unsuitable attire” was an “improperly worn hijab”.

Iranian men need protection from such a wanton seductress

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Disgusting that governments can commit these types of atrocities. Morality police? Unsuitable attire? Man.... makes you appreciate the freedoms we have in this country. Dictatorships man...they suck.

Try looking at Dominionism and what they have in store for us women and girls. 

I recently started watching The Handmaid's Tale series and have caught up to the latest season. Such a benevolent theocracy. (sarcasm). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Try looking at Dominionism and what they have in store for us women and girls. 

I recently started watching The Handmaid's Tale series and have caught up to the latest season. Such a benevolent theocracy. (sarcasm). 

Good reason for the second amendment.  Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

• Thumb up 1

Iranian women burn their hijabs as hundreds protest death of Mahsa Amini

In the video, a massive crowd cheers as a woman lifts a pair of scissors to her hair – exposed, without a hijab in sight. The sea of people, many of them men, roar as she chops off her ponytail and raises her fist in the air.

AA124tzI.img?w=768&h=432&m=6

It was a powerful act of defiance Tuesday night in the Iranian city of Kerman, where women are required to wear hijabs (or headscarves) in public, as outrage over the death of a woman in police custody fuels protests across the country.

Iranian authorities said Wednesday that three people, including a member of the security forces, have been killed in the unrest, which has stretched into a fifth day.

Human rights groups have reported that at least seven people have been killed.

The death last week of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who was arrested in Tehran by morality police – a dedicated unit that enforces strict dress codes for women, such as wearing the compulsory headscarf – has sparked an outpouring anger over issues ranging from freedoms in the Islamic Republic to the crippling economic impacts of sanctions.

The protests are striking for their scale, ferocity and rare feminist nature; the last demonstrations of this size were three years ago, after the government hiked gas prices in 2019.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Good reason for the second amendment.  Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

You’re probably more likely do die on your knees hiding from someone with a gun than you are defending yourself from governmental over reach…

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iranian-protesters-set-fire-police-station-unrest-over-womans-death-spreads-2022-09-22/?utm_source=reddit.com

Protesters in Tehran and other Iranian cities torched police stations and vehicles earlier on Thursday as public outrage over the death showed no signs of easing, with reports of security forces coming under attack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://imgur.com/gallery/WZesy0v

https://imgur.com/gallery/k8Dakbk

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-iran-dubai-united-arab-emirates-5897d601151beb0f01353dd83e405d7d

The scope of Iran’s ongoing unrest, the worst in several years, still remains unclear as protesters in at least a dozen cities — venting anger over social repression and the country’s mounting crises — continue to encounter security and paramilitary forces.

To prevent protests from spreading, Iran’s biggest telecom operator largely shut down mobile internet access again Thursday, said Netblocks, a group that monitors internet access, describing the restrictions as the most severe since 2019.

An anchor on Iran’s state television suggested the death toll from the mass protests could be as high as 17 on Thursday, but did not say how he reached that figure, adding that official statistics would be released later.

In a country where radio and television stations already are state-controlled and journalists regularly face the threat of arrest, the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard urged the judiciary on Thursday to prosecute “anyone who spreads fake news and rumors” on social media about the unrest. Widespread outages of Instagram and WhatsApp, which are used by protesters, also continued Thursday.

Picking up the old "fake news" mantle.

Edit:

https://i.imgur.com/7rNfXBS.mp4

"The angry people of Babol city have set Ali Khamenei's billboard on fire."

Edited by Switchgear
  • Like 1

Iran's President abandons CNN interview after Amanpour declines head scarf demand

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi withdrew from a long-planned interview with CNN's chief international anchor Christiane Amanpour at the United Nations General Assembly in New York on Wednesday, after she declined a last-minute demand to wear a head scarf.

Some 40 minutes after the interview was scheduled due to start and with Raisi running late, an aide told Amanpour the president had suggested that she wear a head scarf. Amanpour said that she "politely declined."

Amanpour, who grew up in the Iranian capital Tehran and is a fluent Farsi speaker, said that she wears a head scarf while reporting in Iran to comply with the local laws and customs, "otherwise you couldn't operate as a journalist." But she said that she would not cover her head to conduct an interview with an Iranian official outside a country where it is not required.

"Here in New York, or anywhere else outside of Iran, I have never been asked by any Iranian president -- and I have interviewed every single one of them since 1995 -- either inside or outside of Iran, never been asked to wear a head scarf," she said on CNN's "New Day" program Thursday.

"I very politely declined on behalf of myself and CNN, and female journalists everywhere because it is not a requirement."

Amanpour said that Raisi's aide made clear that the interview -- which would have been the Iranian president's first on American soil -- would not happen if she did not wear a head scarf. He referred to it as "a matter of respect," given that it is the holy months of Muharram and Safar, and referred to "the situation in Iran," alluding to the protests sweeping the country, she added.

Amanpour had planned to probe Raisi on the Amini's death and the protests, as well as the nuclear deal and Iran's support for Russia in Ukraine, but said that she had to walk away.

"As protests continue in Iran and people are being killed, it would have been an important moment to speak with President Raisi," she said in a Twitter thread.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 3

Iranian government shutting down Internet in their country is clear sign they are having trouble getting things "under control" over there.

Maybe harder to validate some of the stuff coming out, may even be less of it for a while:

Edited by Renegade7

Ain't trying to get no one's hopes up, but this absolutely reminds me of Arab Spring Egypt when citizens in Cairo completely overwhelmed the cities police force via sheer numbers...sadly expecting reports of live ammo against protestors anyday now if events like this are anyway becoming common in Iran now...

42 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Most of these uprisings/coups in the Middle East end badly even when they are successful….

Unfortunately true...jus even if Iran stays some form of an authoritarian state (like Egypt eventually did) when it's all said and done, one that isn't a theocracy threatening to annihilate Israel so we can possibly lift more sanctions would be a huge relief for the region and frankly the world.

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-starlink-iran-us-sec-of-state/

Elon Musk announced that he was activating Starlink in response to U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s tweet announcing the issuing of a General License to provide the Iranian people with access to digital communications.

“We took action today to advance Internet freedom and the free flow of information for the Iranian people, issuing a General License to provide them greater access to digital communications to counter the Iranian government’s censorship,” Secretary Blinken said.

only question is how many Iranians have a starlink satellite? Probably zero since sanctions would have prevented SpaceX from selling consoles to anyone in Iran….