Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unrest in Iran

Switchgear

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

I appreciate what the people of Iran are doing. 

and I’m glad they’re sticking up for themselves - because too often people don’t. 

but my guy is that it’s likely to end up like Syria, if it even gets that far. 

I feel you...belive it's more likely to end up like Egypt then Syria.

I don't know if protestors gave made any clear demands like "Mubarak must resign" yet...but Iran wouldn't need anyone's help to squash a civil war, so hope that isn't the plan.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel you...belive it's more likely to end up like Egypt then Syria.

I don't know if protestors gave made any clear demands like "Mubarak must resign" yet...but Iran wouldn't need anyone's help to squash a civil war, so hope that isn't the plan.

Oddly enough, in terms of my other post, I’ve watched multiple documentaries that essentially show the bulk or Iranians that live in the cities basically like us, want to be what we are, and think it’s dumb our governments hate each other. 

Generally I got the sense Iranians are actually cool people their government just sucks 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, tshile said:

Oddly enough, in terms of my other post, I’ve watched multiple documentaries that essentially show the bulk or Iranians that live in the cities basically like us, want to be what we are, and think it’s dumb our governments hate each other. 

Generally I got the sense Iranians are actually cool people their government just sucks 

There are vast numbers of people around the world that absolutely would prefer a steady food supply, cell service, internet and peace to whatever saber rattling their governments do for domestic consumption, and tech has enabled their contact and networking laterally in a manner that has never existed before. The Iranians know exactly what the mullahs have cost them, Modi is trying to clamp down on huge numbers of Indians that grumble about supporting Russia, Xi is trying head off a burgeoning middle class that has no desire to trade it's comfort for an invasion of Taiwan, etc., etc.  

History is mean but she does have a sense of humor. Once we were inclined to dial back our saber rattling and the US military is cast in a different light helping Ukraine defend itself as part of a larger coalition we stopped being the GREAT SATAN! that others used to justify their own internal repressions and the focus seems to be shifting towards "Why do we have to live this way?" being muttered or yelled in every language on Earth. You can't unring that bell. At the same time I do not believe it is our place to elbow our way to the front and grab the standard, others collectively can lead so we all build a viable future.

I am hopeful that we can learn as well and come out the other side better.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

At the same time I do not believe it is our place to elbow our way to the front and grab the standard, others collectively can lead so we all build a viable future.

yeah. I’d prefer we worry about our own **** and let others worry about theirs. 

if anything just pay attention - notice if they find a better way to do something, figure out how to adopt/adapt it for us. 

National security makes things murky. There’s a need to be involved on the information and covert level. 

but it’s hard to really talk about that because it’s always subjective who is behaving in the best interests of our national security, and who is just saying that as a guise to cover what they’re actually up to. 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

but it’s hard to really talk about that because it’s always subjective who is behaving in the best interests of our national security, and who is just saying that as a guise to cover what they’re turning a profit on

FTFY

I am of the opinion that Russia has to fix Russia, no one else can do it for them, and the same thing applies to the US or Paraguay or Mongolia, much the same way that rehab is worthless until you hit rockbottom and admit you are your own worst enemy. Others can help with your journey but you still gotta pick 'em up and put 'em down. 

To me, so much of the world's pain is rooted in naked greed, greed that denies consequence, greed that is indifferent to suffering, We -collectively we as a species- need to come to grips with that aspect of ourselves.

I listen to the younger voices and remain (cautiously) hopeful

• Like 1

Todays younger voices aren’t any different than the younger voices of decades ago. 

the problem is people grow up and change, and those voices remain the ones of whoever the current younger people are. 

If young people don’t bother to voted then their voices will remain what they’ve always been. 

they need to be more involved. They’re not exactly perfect - idealism is cute but it has its own set of issues. But they’ll never be taken seriously unless they make it clear they’re willing to vote regularly. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, tshile said:

I get same vibe from folks I've worked with actually from Iran.  60 Minutes interview with their president the other day touched on this.

Edited by Renegade7

On 9/21/2022 at 9:49 AM, abdcskins said:

Disgusting that governments can commit these types of atrocities. Morality police? Unsuitable attire? Man.... makes you appreciate the freedoms we have in this country. Dictatorships man...they suck.

…and we support them at the drop of a hat. Your post also describes Saudi Arabia and if you look beyond the morality police to general thuggery to suppress dissent, there are plenty of other examples. If only those countries would just do it quietly to achieve the same results while calling it something else, like in this country, they wouldn’t make us look like such hypocrites. 

On 9/23/2022 at 9:03 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-starlink-iran-us-sec-of-state/

Elon Musk announced that he was activating Starlink in response to U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s tweet announcing the issuing of a General License to provide the Iranian people with access to digital communications.

“We took action today to advance Internet freedom and the free flow of information for the Iranian people, issuing a General License to provide them greater access to digital communications to counter the Iranian government’s censorship,” Secretary Blinken said.

only question is how many Iranians have a starlink satellite? Probably zero since sanctions would have prevented SpaceX from selling consoles to anyone in Iran…. 

I suppose his next step will be to urge the demonstrators to negotiate which human rights they’d like to trade away for peace. 

Been reading some articles lately, and it seems pretty clear Iran is deciding to crack down on demonstrators instead of implementing any reforms.

Last count was at least 52 dead, likely more, no telling how many arrested, and Iran is doing best it can to limit how much of what they are doing from getting out to rest of the world.

In serious danger of this energy being wasted...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Iran’s supreme leader praises paramilitary for crackdown on ‘rioters’ and ‘thugs’

Iran’s Supreme Leader has praised the country’s Basij paramilitary force for its role in the deadly crackdown on anti-regime protesters.

Meeting with Basij personnel in Tehran Saturday, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei described the popular protest movement as “rioters” and “thugs” backed by foreign forces and praised “innocent” Basij fighters for protecting the nation.

The Basij is a wing of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard deployed to the streets as protests have swelled since September.

The protest movement was initially sparked by the death of 22-year-old woman Mahsa Amini in the custody of Iran’s morality police.

Amnesty International says the Basij have been ordered to “mercilessly confront” protesters.

“When facing the enemy on the field of battle the Basij has always shown itself to be courageous, not afraid of the enemy,” the Supreme Leader said Saturday.

“You saw in the most recent events, our innocent and oppressed Basijis became the targets of oppression so that they wouldn’t allow the nation to become the targets of rioters and thugs and those on the [enemy] payroll, whether wittingly or unwittingly. They gave of themselves to free others,” Khamenei said.

Click on the link for the full article

Iran arrests Khamenei's niece after criticizing regime

Iranian authorities have arrested Farideh Moradkhani, a niece of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, according to her brother and human rights activists.

Mahmoud Moradkhani wrote on Twitter that his sister had been arrested on Wednesday as she was summoned by the prosecutor's office in Tehran.

Farideh Moradkhani is an engineer and a well-known rights activist. She has been a vocal critic of the government's crackdown on anti-government protests. 

Iran has seen weeks of unrest since the death of the young Kurdish woman Jina Mahsa Amini in police custody. 

According to Norway-based NGO Iran Human Rights, at least 416 people, including 51 children, have been killed in Iran's crackdown on the protests that followed Amini's death in September.

What we know about the arrest
Farideh Moradkhani was arrested earlier this year by Iran's Intelligence Ministry and released on bail.

Activist news agency HRANA said Moradkhani was now being held in Tehran's Evin security prison.

According to HRANA, her arrest last Wednesday was to begin serving an existing 15-year sentence. The charges were not immediately clear.

Mahmoud Moradkhani later posted a video on social media in which his sister called Iran's clerical leadership a "murderous and child-killing regime."

World Cup 2022: Friend of Iran's Saeid Ezatolahi shot by Iranian security forces after celebrating loss

A friend of Iranian midfielder Saeid Ezatolahi was shot and killed by his country's security forces Tuesday after the team's loss to the United States at the World Cup, a group of human rights activists told The Guardian.

Mehran Samak, 27, was reportedly shot after honking his car horn in the port city of Bandar Anzali, located in Iran's northwestern Gilan province. The incident came amid a wave of anti-government protests across the country.

Per the Center for Human Rights in Iran via the Guardian, Samak had been celebrating the World Cup loss, which clinched the Americans' advance into the knockout stages of the tournament and sent Iran home. Per local journalists, some Iranians have been celebrating the loss as a blow to Iran's government, which has been attempting to suppress the protests sparked by Mahsa Amini.