Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Vin Scully

spjunkies

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fantastic broadcaster, better man.  By all accounts, a true gentleman.

RIP to one of the best.  A great voice that captured so many great moments. This whole thing is magic:

An ending you’d roll your eyes at if it were in a movie, happening for real in Hollywood.

Even people that hate the dodgers loved Scully.

Rest in peace and see if maybe you can’t talk the big guy into a few more WS this decade. 😁

Off topic, but it’s awesome as a Dodgers and Skins fan that I have the Gibson home run and 70 chip to look back at and enjoy.

RIP to a broadcasting legend.

1 minute ago, MrSilverMaC said:

Off topic, but it’s awesome as a Dodgers and Skins fan that I have the Gibson home run and 70 chip to look back at and enjoy.

Not a Dodgers fan, but Kirk Gibson is an MSU alum, so there's that.

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, MrSilverMaC said:

An ending you’d roll your eyes at if it were in a movie, happening for real in Hollywood.

Even people that hate the dodgers loved Scully.

Rest in peace and see if maybe you can’t talk the big guy into a few more WS this decade. 😁

I think the best thing about that moment, from a broadcasting perspective is that he lets the moment breathe. Gibson rounds the bases, Scully gives his classic call and then doesn’t say anything else for a minute or two. Just lets people watch and enjoy (or hate if you’re an A’s fan). 

The other thing I always forget about this moment…what a battle between Eck and Gibson!  He kept fouling off pitch after pitch. 

• Like 2

Put this in the MLB thread, but it really belongs here:

Been reading and watching Vin Scully stuff all morning.  This one is incredible.

This is the transcript of his call of the 9th inning of Koufax's no hitter.  Some of the most evocative and brilliant sports writing you'll ever see, and he just did it on the fly, off the top of his head.  The man was a true artist and genius with words.  

https://www.salon.com/1999/10/12/scully_koufax/