Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official NCAA Football Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

BMitch and Finlay covered this in their CFB Segment today and one of the producers said the behind doors whispers amongst insiders is that the NCAA is set to approve JMU's waiver ... and may try to hold the announcement for Gameday (doubt it would be decided tonight and kept under wraps that long, but we'll see).

Two tough games against App State and Coastal. I think JMU just needs to win 1 to get to the Sunbelt game representing the East ... and should they go 12-1 or 13-0 (conference game included), should be favored for the NY6 bowl game ... let's hope that waiver gets approved!

If all goes well in this magical season, a JMU representation in a NY6 bowl game 2 years removed from FCS would just be nuts

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

JMU should be allowed to go bowling. But a NY6 bowl game when your only significant win is by 1pt over the only P5 team you play (and that team is a really bad P5 team)..I just don't know. 

(Full disclosure, my Dad has a Masters from JMU so I've always kept an eye on them when they were in 1aa).

Edited by The Evil Genius

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

JMU should be allowed to go bowling. But a NY6 bowl game when your only significant win is by 1pt over the only P5 team you play (and that team is a really bad P5 team)..I just don't know. 

(Full disclosure l, my Dad has a Masters from JMU so I've always kept an eye on them when they were in 1aa).

The top G5 team gets a NY6 bowl ... the candidates would be JMU (if eligible), Tulane and Liberty at this point. JMU has the best strength of schedule of that group even with the 1 win against UVA. If they can run the table in the Sunbelt (and in the title game, if made eligible) ... they'd be 12-0 against FBS competition (Bucknell being the one FCS team they have on the schedule). 

For as magical as a season that they've had, even if the waiver is cleared, I'm very nervous about App State, Coastal Caroina, and Troy again (beat them 16-14 at home earlier this year). That's 3 of the top 4/5 Sunbelt teams to close out the season, 2 potentially being home (Troy likely comes to JMU if we get to play in the title game)

Here's JMU's schedule for those wondering:

Bucknell (W) 38-3

@ Virginia (W) 36-35

@ Troy (W) 16-14

@ Utah State (W) 45-38

South Alabama (W) 31-23

Georgia Southern (W) 41-13

@ Marshall (W) 20-9

Old Dominion (W) 30-27

@ Georgia State (W) 42-14

Connecticut (W) 44-6

----

App State (6-4)

@ Coastal Carolina (7-3)

----

Troy (8-2) at home in the Sunbelt title game if they are eligible

JMU will clinch the Sunbelt east with either a win over App State or Coastal. Both are 5-2 with just JMU remaining in conference while JMU is 6-0. JMU won the East last year but was ineligible for the Sunbelt title game. They will be ineligible for the Sunbelt title game unless the NCAA approves its waiver. 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The top G5 team gets a NY6 bowl ... the candidates would be JMU (if eligible), Tulane and Liberty at this point. JMU has the best strength of schedule of that group even with the 1 win against UVA. 

Oh I know that. I just don't know if it's worth likely getting exposed in a NY6 game. Can't imagine JMU would match up well with a Washington/Oregon/Penn State/Bama.

But you never know!

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Oh I know that. I just don't know if it's worth likely getting exposed in a NY6 game. Can't imagine JMU would match up well with a Washington/Oregon/Penn State/Bama.

But you never know!

I doubt it. It could be an embarrassment, but I'll take that over not being included. The exposure would be great, and the opportunity to show up on that stage would be fun!

JMU has had a weird few games this year. Went up 14-0 on UVA and looked like we'd dominate, then UVA went up 35-24 before we came back to win late. 

Dominated Utah State in Utah and were up 38-14 before Utah State came back to tie it 38-38 before we won 45-38.

Then we were up 24-7 on South Alabama before letting them come back in late. We ended up winning 31-23. 

Since that stretch of Week 2-5, outside of ODU, we've basically dominated everyone. We squaked by Troy on the road 16-14 (who is now 8-2 and likely to win the west), and that was really the only game where our offense didn't perform at all. Even Marshall, where we struggled big time, the score (20-9) was not indicative of how much our defense just dominated the game. Marshall's lone TD was on a kick return TD. 

24 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I get it and it sucks..but didn't JMU agree to this when they moved from FCS to BCS? 

Yes they did. Like every other school before them did. Including ODU when we had Heinecke as our QB. We weren’t able to play in a bowl game with him as QB due to this rule.