Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

Keim said on his podcast that he’s talked to a bunch of coaches about Wentz’s inaccuracy and they’re not worried at all.  For what’s ever that’s worth.  It could be sunshine up our ass or it could be re/“x. He said they expect him to have about the same accuracy as he always has and it will improve as he gets more familiar with the offense and especially when they start game planning.  

Just like I say you can’t tell anything about a draft class right after a draft (obligatory **** you Thor Nystrom), the first week of TC and even most of the preseason is completely meaningless, and you generally can’t tell what’s going to happen until 3-4 weeks into a season.  

Week 1 is often not a good indicator either.  

• Like 4

Good read.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34352424/inside-washington-commanders-rookie-jahan-dotson-knack-making-acrobatic-catches

The decision was an easy one: A young Jahan Dotson liked catching the ball a lot more than he enjoyed pushups. His cousin would toss Dotson footballs at a local park, forcing him to make diving catches. A dropped ball equaled 10 pushups.

"I got tired of that real quick," said Dotson, a first-round pick by the Washington Commanders in the 2022 NFL draft. "So, catching the ball is something that I will do."

Even if it means hauling in a pass like a rebound in basketball, or reaching up high to snag one with two hands, or extending far to the inside for a throw. All of which the rookie receiver has shown in training camp and during a stellar college career at Penn State.

It's why Dotson wasn't easily impressed while watching and discussing some of his college highlights in the spring at Washington's practice facility. The Commanders loved Dotson for many reasons, including savvy route running and a mature approach, but some of those catches at Penn State revealed another reason he stood out. He played bigger than his listed height of 5-foot-11.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, though I think there is some question as to what they are trying to do.  I do think this is a real "feeling out" period for Ron and Scott Turner with Wentz.  They're probably throwing the kitchen sink at him, and they are deciding what they want to really include in the offense, and what they don't.

Ron actually said that early on, they knew what parts of the offense he did really well, and I assume this was the quick game and deep shots, and what he didn't.  But they were going to confirm it in practice and then go from there.  I'm not sure when he said it, I think it was one of the early pressers after the Wentz trade.

So it is possible what we're seeing now, early in camp, is a feeling out period.  Also a period where Wentz is getting his feet wet in a new offense, new language, new players, etc.  And in 5 weeks, things will look very different, especially after they start game planning and getting favorable matchups, and things like that.

The other option is he has the yips and this is what he is now.  In which case, we bought damaged goods and that's going to be very unfortunate.

Yesterday was an interesting day, particularly for this board. On a day when we didn't have 4 of the top TEs, the goal line struggled. Sims had a catch but was pushed out of bounds. And Wentz struggled in goal line. 

I doubt Harmon was playing with Wentz, and I haven't heard his name so I don't think he's a savior here. But I have to wonder if we had any size there (the FB/HB/TE?) and can he catch. Plus our line is injured now right now. 

I'm not panicking but I'm also not ready to call the guys behind Turner anything special because they haven't shown that they're better than Turner or Sims in my opinion. And I think that's making Wentz struggle more when he can't rely on guys. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yesterday was an interesting day, particularly for this board. On a day when we didn't have 4 of the top TEs, the goal line struggled. Sims had a catch but was pushed out of bounds. And Wentz struggled in goal line. 

I doubt Harmon was playing with Wentz, and I haven't heard his name so I don't think he's a savior here. But I have to wonder if we had any size there (the FB/HB/TE?) and can he catch. Plus our line is injured now right now. 

I'm not panicking but I'm also not ready to call the guys behind Turner anything special because they haven't shown that they're better than Turner or Sims in my opinion. And I think that's making Wentz struggle more when he can't rely on guys. 

I think it was a lot of Kdawg saying that Brown and Sims will be cut and Turner will get moved to WR5, so we can fit a bunch of the undrafted TEs on the roster.

Pretty sure that's where the premise of moving on from Cam came from.

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

Listen, I don’t know how old you are, so I’ll cut you some slack.  When you’ve watched this team for the entirety of Dan Snyder’s ownership, you start to notice certain patterns.  I’m not saying this because I want to be a dick, or to prove that I’m always right, I’m just going by 23 years of data and patterns.  I’d love to be wrong, but sadly, I won’t be.  Until I see it, I won’t believe it.  It’s as simple as that.

Im old enough, I'm not a delusional fan. Like I said, predicting a losing season is one thing. Saying that a player (who is currently healthy) is going to be injured all year is unnecessary bad mojo and is a jinx. WTF is the point of wishing/putting that **** on our own players? 

Im probably a little superstitious and I believe in the power of the words and energy you put out to the world. We ****in suck enough, we dont need our own fans jinxing our players with injury predictions in August. Want to predict injuries, do that **** with the teams in our division. 

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Did ESPNs article about O-line predictions get posted yet?

Their predictions about who our starting unit will be seems wonky, but its still looking good regardless.

https://i.redd.it/pqeqjpps2xf91.png

Uh, is Lucas running with the ones and Cosmi now a backup swing tackle?  Did I miss that?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

We got super spoiled last year in terms of rookie TE blocking.

Even tho it was clearly his area of strength coming out of the draft, Bates had no business being half that good at blocking year one. That is abnormal.

Even more abnormal is a guy who never played football being a plus blocker. Unheard of.

This year were facing a little dose of reality on that front. Blocking is very hard for a lot of rookie TEs.

They tried a number of outside runs in that goal line package and its not surprising they got blown up given the guys who were out of the lineup.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Not going to tonight’s practice after all….got two wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, woke up with a 100.5 degree fever today. 

Hope you feel better soon.

Your description sounds like what it felt like watching the team last year

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Oh cool, so there you have it. Our LB issues are solved. 

The issues we’re facing at that position, they better hope he’s Han changing his mind and coming back at the end of A New Hope

Just now, skinny21 said:

Man, you risk losing all trust/faith from your coaches/teammates when you do something like that.  Hope he’s got things worked out mentally now.  

Sometimes. Sometimes it takes a brush with the life that could have been to realize you had it right all along. It’s more of a narrative trope than a real life thing in my experience but it could work out for him, who knows. He’ll have to work hard to prove he wants to be there but he already had to do that as an UDFA. There’s only positives in someone getting confirmation about what their dream is and chasing it, but he’s got a hard road no matter how much he decides he loves or needs the game. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I’m betting Rivera said, “hey man, we’re awful at linebacker and you could make the team. In fact if cuts were today you’d be on the roster. So, uhh… if you want to come back the door is open.”

"......and Tre if any of your buddies back home want to try out at LB bring them with you".

• Haha 8

17 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, though I think there is some question as to what they are trying to do.  I do think this is a real "feeling out" period for Ron and Scott Turner with Wentz.  They're probably throwing the kitchen sink at him, and they are deciding what they want to really include in the offense, and what they don't.

Ron actually said that early on, they knew what parts of the offense he did really well, and I assume this was the quick game and deep shots, and what he didn't.  But they were going to confirm it in practice and then go from there.  I'm not sure when he said it, I think it was one of the early pressers after the Wentz trade.

So it is possible what we're seeing now, early in camp, is a feeling out period.  Also a period where Wentz is getting his feet wet in a new offense, new language, new players, etc.  And in 5 weeks, things will look very different, especially after they start game planning and getting favorable matchups, and things like that.

The other option is he has the yips and this is what he is now.  In which case, we bought damaged goods and that's going to be very unfortunate.

Don't know.  Stinks that Matt Ryan supposedly is having a great camp at least judging by tweets.  I want bad things to happen to the Colts and of course good things to happen to us. 😎

Keim's latest podcast

A.  Wentz inconsistent.  Thinks his inconsistency is hard to pin down because it looks to be multiple factors contributing to it.   He didn't give a conclusion as for what this means but he came off like its here to stay so just live with it. 

B.  Kam Curl having a killer camp.  Derrick Forrest looks very good, too.

C.  Holcomb is the LB in 1 LB sets.  Davis and Holcomb for passing downs.  Mayo and Holcomb for run downs.

D.  P. Mathis looks to be used as a 2 gap, run stuffer type in practice and he's good at that.  I've heard that now from multiple beat guys.  I know some disagree that this is Mathis' niche but those watching practice believe its indeed his niche. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Keim said on his podcast that he’s talked to a bunch of coaches about Wentz’s inaccuracy and they’re not worried at all.  For what’s ever that’s worth.  It could be sunshine up our ass or it could be re/“x. He said they expect him to have about the same accuracy as he always has and it will improve as he gets more familiar with the offense and especially when they start game planning.  

Just like I say you can’t tell anything about a draft class right after a draft (obligatory **** you Thor Nystrom), the first week of TC and even most of the preseason is completely meaningless, and you generally can’t tell what’s going to happen until 3-4 weeks into a season.  

Week 1 is often not a good indicator either.  

I think Football Outsiders did some analysis on this. Historically Week 1 has no real correlation to the rest of the regular season.

Plenty of examples of teams with impressive victories in Week 1, and then they look terrible the rest of the season. Beware of fools gold.

50 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

"......and Tre if any of your buddies back home want to try out at LB bring them with you".

Maybe Ron's about to have his Dick Vermeil moment and do open try outs. In ten years we'll have our own "invincible" type movie. Mundane.