Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

2 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

No, but Trey Lance and Davis Mills both played. Mills was still in the game, in the 3rd quarter. Tom Brady is gonna play in their game.

Brady is a special case: He took 11 days off (rumor is he was on Masked Singer but who knows) and missed the first 2 games. 

Try Lance and Davis Mills are both second year guys, getting a look at them is not a bad idea.

We're in a different spot with Wentz.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nothing I'd like to see more than Dax Milne step up and get some production. Had 9 catches on 14 targets all of last season, and probably will always be overshadowed by the likes of Terry Curtis and Jahan but he's got everything you want from a slot guy despite playing mostly on the outside at BYU

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RyanHasz21 said:

Nothing I'd like to see more than Dax Milne step up and get some production. Had 9 catches on 14 targets all of last season, and probably will always be overshadowed by the likes of Terry Curtis and Jahan but he's got everything you want from a slot guy despite playing mostly on the outside at BYU

I like what I have seen in his limited opportunities. He has earned more touches.

3 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

I'm guessing you're not familiar with Eagles fans and Nick Foles.

If any QB gets me a SB he can charge me rent for my headspace. lol

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trying to find things that are positive.

I like what I saw on our sideline in this video. It demonstrates why Rivera has won me over. I wasn't his biggest fan at first, because you can question some of his scheme decisions and roster decisions, but the culture of the actual team is different since Rivera arrived. You can see that he has the locker room under his control. That's impressive to me knowing what I know about how our culture has been in the past.

In the video they showed our players on the sideline during the Carolina game. I noticed how our players were interacting, cheering and encouraging each other. They look like a team. I thought it was ironic seeing Gibson cheer on Robinson take his spot basically, and while Im sure he's not thrilled, you see he's still showing support like a good teammate. You see starters cheering backups like good teammates as well. We have had times where our team had cliques and operated like a group of mercenaries. Rivera has turned it into a football team where the culture is starting to visibly look different. Payne and Allen hashing out that meltdown from last year and being professional since is another example of it.

Scheme wise Rivera could do better, though. I believe he gives a lot of that responsibility  to his coordinators in the current set up. He needs both his coordinators to step up this year, or he needs to hire new coordinators before one of these guys sink his ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

Trying to find things that are positive.

I like what I saw on our sideline in this video. It demonstrates why Rivera has won me over. I wasn't his biggest fan at first, because you can question some of his scheme decisions and roster decisions, but the culture of the actual team is different since Rivera arrived. You can see that he has the locker room under his control. That's impressive to me knowing what I know about how our culture has been in the past.

In the video they showed our players on the sideline during the Carolina game. I noticed how our players were interacting, cheering and encouraging each other. They look like a team. I thought it was ironic seeing Gibson cheer on Robinson take his spot basically, and while Im sure he's not thrilled, you see he's still showing support like a good teammate. You see starters cheering backups like good teammates as well. We have had times where our team had cliques and operated like a group of mercenaries. Rivera has turned it into a football team where the culture is starting to visibly look different. Payne and Allen hashing out that meltdown from last year and being professional since is another example of it.

Scheme wise Rivera could do better, though. I believe he gives a lot of that responsibility  to his coordinators in the current set up. He needs both his coordinators to step up this year, or he needs to hire new coordinators before one of these guys sink his ship. 

This is part of the reason I’m bullish on this season. I said it a while back but the 180 in Ron’s demeanor between last year and this year are obvious. Last year he tried telling us that they weren’t ready to and to pump the brakes. This year it’s we are going to take a jump and telling fans at open practice we are putting the league on notice. Obviously I don’t know this but it seems like Chase and Montez were embarrassed about last year. Chase obviously has to come back healthy but both seem like they are on a mission to prove people wrong. Whether that translates to wins and losses idk but this is probably most hopeful I’ve been in a long time 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Ownership/business/marketing stuff aside, the actual football operation is at least being run by professionals. 

People hate on Mayhew but I thought he was really impressive when they showed that draft video. I don't think he's just GM in name only, he has real responsibility. Now you can argue whether he's a good GM or not, but he is a football guy with actual authority.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I actually bet the only way we see 4-3 base is if injures happen to the safeties or DL,  I think its 5-2-4 and 4-2-5 all year long and honestly it makes sense.   It plays to our strengths. 

I'm curious about this only because Ron stressed position flex early on. So how many of our DL can be called a LB? How many of our S can be called that? So is it about where they're lined up or what we call them in the roster? Collins was called a S but dude played LB when our defense got better. Reaves is a decent S but can play that LB position just as good as Collins. Same for other dude who's a second year. 

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm curious about this only because Ron stressed position flex early on. So how many of our DL can be called a LB? How many of our S can be called that? So is it about where they're lined up or what we call them in the roster? Collins was called a S but dude played LB when our defense got better. Reaves is a decent S but can play that LB position just as good as Collins. Same for other dude who's a second year. 

Reaves is a cover guy, that I wouldn't want near the line, despite being slow. Forrest is definitely more of a SS/BN type.

McCain, Butler, Reaves

Curl, Forrest

That's my guess. McCain and Butler can flew to the slot and come to the line if needed, but are FSs

Curl needs to live as the SS, because he's great flying around the middle. Forrest I'm guessing is good close to the line.

I would bet money that's our 5 safeties.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reaves is a cover guy, that I wouldn't want near the line, despite being slow. Forrest is definitely more of a SS/BN type.

McCain, Butler, Reaves

Curl, Forrest

That's my guess. McCain and Butler can flew to the slot and come to the line if needed, but are FSs

Curl needs to live as the SS, because he's great flying around the middle. Forrest I'm guessing is good close to the line.

I would bet money that's our 5 safeties.

I agree with Reaves in coverage but he has shown the ability to blitz and cover short. Honestly I think his problem is that he is too aggressive sometimes (Brown hit in minicamp and the Chiefs game come to mind). Its not that he can't be too physical and honestly I sometimes wonder about his speed to cover deep. But that said, I think he has a role in this defense and is just a better player than Collins for what they were trying to do with Collins. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree with Reaves in coverage but he has shown the ability to blitz and cover short. Honestly I think his problem is that he is too aggressive sometimes (Brown hit in minicamp and the Chiefs game come to mind). Its not that he can't be too physical and honestly I sometimes wonder about his speed to cover deep. But that said, I think he has a role in this defense and is just a better player than Collins for what they were trying to do with Collins. 

When they moved Collins to LB/BN etc, he had something like 2 ints,1 FF and about 4 sacks and a lot of TFLs and hurries and that was all in like 4 or 5 weeks. If that's a full season at that level, it's DPotY level. Reaves is a guy who can sit home for 8 weeks tweeting about wanting to play, before anyone shows interest.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

When they moved Collins to LB/BN etc, he had something like 2 ints,1 FF and about 4 sacks and a lot of TFLs and hurries and that was all in like 4 or 5 weeks. If that's a full season at that level, it's DPotY level. Reaves is a guy who can sit home for 8 weeks tweeting about wanting to play, before anyone shows interest.

True and he played it well. But he also played HORRIBLY at S for 2 years (1.5). He went down in 2020 and was replaced by Everett and Reaves and they both played better. And lets not forget that Reaves had a sack and an interception in that time period. So I'm not pulling some scrap off the trash pile. Dude can play and has shown it. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

True and he played it well. But he also played HORRIBLY at S for 2 years (1.5). He went down in 2020 and was replaced by Everett and Reaves and they both played better. And lets not forget that Reaves had a sack and an interception in that time period. So I'm not pulling some scrap off the trash pile. Dude can play and has shown it. 

I'm just arguing that saying that Reaves can play the role they designed for Collins is wrong. At SS/FS, yes, most players are better, but not in the LBer/BN role. That was perfect for Collins and he was a monster for a month.

1 hour ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Very frustrating to watch Dallas sign a USFL guy who looks like Tyreek Hill Jr, making guys look silly and using his blazing speed for punt return and kick return touchdowns. Meanwhile, our returners look slow, unathletic, and barely make it to the 20 yard line 😡😡😡

Our talent evaluators are sub-par and delusional imo.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Very frustrating to watch Dallas sign a USFL guy who looks like Tyreek Hill Jr, making guys look silly and using his blazing speed for punt return and kick return touchdowns. Meanwhile, our returners look slow, unathletic, and barely make it to the 20 yard line 😡😡😡

He played at TCU and had BIG legal problems. Assault & stuff like that. At least 2 counts. Was kicked off of TCU’s team.  He not a good guy & all teams steered clear of him. He fits the Cows model perfectly. RR would not touch a guy like that, and I salute that honesty. I’m an old guy (60+) and things like that matter to me.  That’s an issue I have with the Commander’s and our owner. Don’t want to go down that rabbit hole on this thread. Anyway, lived in Texas (DFW) during that time & he’s trouble, somewhere down the line, at some point. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Blows my mind we didn't bring in a starting caliber Linebacker.

4 minutes ago, philibusters said:

50-50 we bring in a guy after final cuts.  I do think Jamin Davis had a good camp.

We ran 3 LBer sets 60 times last year and that will be less this year.

Jamin has looked great in preseason games and everyone says it's night and day in camp. Holcomb isn't a world beater, but he's good and has gotten better every year.

I wanted another stud LBer really badly, but it makes a lot of sense why we didn't. I do expect a some depth signings.

CB is my main concern. Behind Fuller, WJIII and BSJ there is nobody. Holmes looked okay and Corn Elder played well, but that's all we have. DJ and Neil have sucked.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

CB is my main concern. Behind Fuller, WJIII and BSJ there is nobody. Holmes looked okay and Corn Elder played well, but that's all we have. DJ and Neil have sucked.

Danny Johnson didn't have a good preseason.  In fact it was bad before last night and then last night he was involved in that long TD the Ravens got.  But with Danny Johnson you do have a four year track record of him being a backup that has been serviceable in regular season NFL games.   I'd like to upgrade the depth at corner because all upgrades are good, but I am not going to overweight the Danny Johnson's poor preseason when he has a decent sample size to work off of