Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we're gonna see Rivera trade up into the top 3 for one of the QB prospects. Desperation move to save his job with the new owner.

Ironically getting Young would be a nice gift. But I don’t think it’s going to happen.

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just watched Joe Tippman, C, Wisconsin, a dude who I mentioned before.  i like him.  I do like Michael-Schmitz more though.

I like him.  Generally, I do like O lineman from Wisconsin, they are typically big dudes who are coached well.   

You could see why he made Feldman's list of freaks, he has a big upper body, very strong, and can move, too.  Mauls as a run blocker, plays with a mean streak.  Can hit the 2nd level.   If they want to run the ball and be a physical team, he'd fit this to a tee.   Brings that attitude to his play.

Decent in pass protection but he loses his balance at times, can look sloppy with his hands, plays a bit high.  He has some aspects of his game that needs to be cleaned up.

They actually sometimes use him as the lead-puller on power runs which isn't that common for a center.   Zone and power. 

Tippman is a former tackle who moved to guard. As a result, he is taller than ideal height for center but he seems to have the best raw tools in terms of size/speed than any center in this draft.

I haven’t given it much thought but it may be possible we could be looking at a smaller center instead of Schmitz, Tippman and Van Prann if we let Turner go and bring in an OC who favors a zone heavy scheme

One lazy heuristic I am using on Joey Porter Jr is the success of recently drafted guys who are the sons of recent NFL Pro Bowlers…Antoine Winfield Jr, Pat Surtain II, Jaycee Horn, Asante Samuel Jr to name a few

I think these guys come in pro ready because their dads prep them for it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, method man said:

One lazy heuristic I am using on Joey Porter Jr is the success of recently drafted guys who are the sons of recent NFL Pro Bowlers…Antoine Winfield Jr, Pat Surtain II, Jaycee Horn, Asante Samuel Jr to name a few

I think these guys come in pro ready because their dads prep them for it. 

JPJ behind this DL could be a star. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we're gonna see Rivera trade up into the top 3 for one of the QB prospects. Desperation move to save his job with the new owner.

The timing of the sale (if/when it goes down) and it’s impact on the qb decision is certainly going to be interesting.  

I could see him trading up, though I’ve assumed he’ll be looking more at the short term - making the playoffs next year.  Seems like a taller order with a rookie qb vs a vet, but….

Hard for me to see a “quality” vet (Carr/Garrapolo/Tannehill/etc) coming here with a (likely) impending coaching change, even if a new owner is in place and Ron has the green light to spend the money.

Random thought - if the team isn’t sold by March, is there any chance Snyder extends Rivera a year?  What are the chances Snyder ponies up guaranteed money knowing he could recoup it in the sale?

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Ironically getting Young would be a nice gift. But I don’t think it’s going to happen.

Speaking of irony - imagine trading up and once again drafting Young from Ohio State with the 2nd pick.

• Like 1

There is no chance the Ron wants to hang his career and 4rth year on a rookie, especially if we have new ownership.

Ron has swung for the fences for 2 years running on a vet QB and I doubt this year is any different.

Especially with this team being as close as it is.

Rd 1 is tackle. We don't draft BPA. Day 2 is LBer and IOL.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There is no chance the Ron wants to hang his career and 4rth year on a rookie, especially if we have new ownership.

Ron has swung for the fences for 2 years running on a vet QB and I doubt this year is any different.

Especially with this team being as close as it is.

Rd 1 is tackle. We don't draft BPA. Day 2 is LBer and IOL.

My guess is similar.  But I get the vibe they'd draft a CB before a LB everything being equal.

Keim mentioned on the last podcast, a hybrid safety type to back up Curl.  The defense seems to fall off a cliff when he doesn't play.  In another podcast he also mentioned depth at safety.

that makes me want to watch the two Alabama safeties, I assume Branch is going too high for them to take but Battle could be there in the third round range.

It wouldn't shock me if they trade down again.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My guess is similar.  But I get the vibe they'd draft a CB before a LB everything being equal.

Keim mentioned on the last podcast, a hybrid safety type to back up Curl.  The defense seems to fall off a cliff when he doesn't play.  In another podcast he also mentioned depth at safety.

that makes me want to watch the two Alabama safeties, I assume Branch is going too high for them to take but Battle could be there in the third round range.

Replacing McCain is once again a priority in my eyes. Rolling with three safeties, two of which (or all three) that can roll into the box or play high is ideal. I can’t imagine Battle, Forrest, Curl. Wow. 

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They've had so much luck with late round DBs, I'd be surprised if we drafted one day two, but it is a priority. I'm going to assume Holcomb is back as well.

I know that DB is the second biggest priority, but LBer sweet spot in definitely round two, so who knows. Not a big LBer draft. DB seems deep.

I like the trade down idea myself. Not sure who teams would want to trade up for, outside of tackle and that's a big need for us.

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Replacing McCain is once again a priority in my eyes. Rolling with three safeties, two of which (or all three) that can roll into the box or play high is ideal. I can’t imagine Battle, Forrest, Curl. Wow. 

They got to draft Battle based on the name alone considering the other names already in the fold, Chase, Payne, Sweat and Battle.

Team captain, good locker room guy.  Just watched a game.  Even though he's listed as the strong safety, he was often the deeper safety in the split safety sets and playing some single high.  Looks solid, tackles well, around the ball in coverage, they line him up on the line of scrimmage at times and have him go after the QB. 

Looked like based on that game, they move around the more hyped safety, Brian Branch more, who plays slot.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2022/08/27/watch-alabama-football-nick-saban-raves-about-jordan-battle-leadership-and-growth/

Saban has always been very keen on Battle and he didn’t hold back saying, “Jordan is a very bright guy, he’s got a really good work ethic, he loves the game, he loves to play, he loves to practice, he sets a good example, he’s a good leader, he’s got a really, really good understanding of everything we’re doing in the secondary.”

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

They've had so much luck with late round DBs, I'd be surprised if we drafted one day two, but it is a priority. I'm going to assume Holcomb is back as well.

I know that DB is the second biggest priority, but LBer sweet spot in definitely round two, so who knows. Not a big LBer draft. DB seems deep.

I like the trade down idea myself. Not sure who teams would want to trade up for, outside of tackle and that's a big need for us.

I think an edge might be there, Tyree Wilson? or CB.  Jared Verse just announced he's going back to school which might add to the urgency of any team looking for edge.   Both spots are often trade up spots.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They got to draft Battle based on the name alone considering the other names already in the fold, Chase, Payne, Sweat and Battle.

Team captain, good locker room guy.  Just watched a game.  Even though he's listed as the strong safety, he was often the deeper safety in the split safety sets and playing some single high.  Looks solid, tackles well, around the ball in coverage, they line him up on the line of scrimmage at times and have him go after the QB. 

Looked like based on that game, they move around the more hyped safety, Brian Branch more, who plays slot.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2022/08/27/watch-alabama-football-nick-saban-raves-about-jordan-battle-leadership-and-growth/

Saban has always been very keen on Battle and he didn’t hold back saying, “Jordan is a very bright guy, he’s got a really good work ethic, he loves the game, he loves to play, he loves to practice, he sets a good example, he’s a good leader, he’s got a really, really good understanding of everything we’re doing in the secondary.”

I think an edge might be there, Tyree Wilson? or CB.  Jared Verse just announced he's going back to school which might add to the urgency of any team looking for edge.   Both spots are often trade up spots.

I like Battle a lot. I like him better than Branch, to be honest.

I think some major things this off-season that need to be addressed (knowing some won’t or can’t be):

Hybrid Safety (some refer to this as a Buffalo nickel but a more permanent fixture on the D as a 3-down guy… guys like Battle). This helps when Curl is out and also gives another faster, good tackler to the defense that can cover.

QB. Self explanatory and may not be able to be addressed.

OL. 3-4 new starters. 

Speed back. Less important than the above three.

There are a bunch of other important moves but I think those are the three keys if everything else is status quo.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think some major things this off-season that need to be addressed (knowing some won’t or can’t be):

Hybrid Safety

QB.

OL.

Speed back.

i like your list. 

the more i think about it, though, I’d add cornerback to the list. I think if he is sitting there when we pick, you turn in the card for Gonzalez. Might be time to move Fuller to the slot, and our depth isnt very strong at the position. 

9 minutes ago, illone said:

i like your list. 

the more i think about it, though, I’d add cornerback to the list. I think if he is sitting there when we pick, you turn in the card for Gonzalez. Might be time to move Fuller to the slot, and our depth isnt very strong at the position. 

I think CB is in that next tier where we could upgrade and it would help a lot. But we can also get by with what we have*

* - pending Fuller’s roster spot, St Juste’s health.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I like Battle a lot. I like him better than Branch, to be honest.

Hybrid Safety (some refer to this as a Buffalo nickel but a more permanent fixture on the D as a 3-down guy… guys like Battle). This helps when Curl is out and also gives another faster, good tackler to the defense that can cover.

QB. Self explanatory and may not be able to be addressed.

OL. 3-4 new starters. 

Speed back. Less important than the above three.

There are a bunch of other important moves but I think those are the three keys if everything else is status quo.

I am into a Y-TE not sure though how many others are, including the team?  

O line, O line, O line is the obvious theme we all agree on.

As far as speed back, maybe, this is looking like a good draft to do it.

Depth at LB, S, CB.   There was a phase where this team's W-L record was abysmal whenever Jordan Reed didn't start, after then after is was Brandon Scherff, now Curl seems to be the integral guy for W-Ls  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am into a Y-TE not sure though how many others are, including the team?  

O line, O line, O line is the obvious theme we all agree on.

As far as speed back, maybe, this is looking like a good draft to do it.

Depth at LB, S, CB.   There was a phase where this team's W-L record was abysmal whenever Jordan Reed didn't start, after then after is was Brandon Scherff, now Curl seems to be the integral guy for W-Ls  

I put TE (Y) in the same category as CB. Not a necessity but can be upgraded and have a positive effect on the team. Really speed back should fall there, too.

Hybrid, OL and QB are necessity positions.

• Like 1

We can save almost six million in cap space by cutting Curtis Samuel.  We should cut Samuel and pick JSN if he's on the board in the first as a BPA selection.  The kid was the best receiver in the room with two other dudes who were high first round picks, each of whom had thousand yard rookie seasons.

JSN is one of the elite talents of the class.  If he had played this season, there is no way he's making it out of the top ten, but nearly every mock I'm seeing has him still on the board when we pick.  We need to get off this hamster wheel of mediocrity where we're always reaching over better talent to plug needs in the first round.  There is no such thing as BPA drafting at your need positions.  That's just need drafting.  We need to go BPA and bring in a potential All Pro talent.

Fire Scott Turner and cut his pet project in Samuel and bring in a real OC and let's run a real three weapon passing attack with Terry, Jahan, and JSN.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'd like to see what Samuel can do with a real OC and QB first. Cutting him just to draft a WR in the 1st round seems like poor usage of assets.

Use the first to get a kid who has the potential to be vastly better than any of the OTs and CBs sitting there on the board around 14.  And better than any of the WRs already on this roster. 

Cut Samuel after you draft JSN because you don't need to spend 13 million dollars on a fourth string receiver and can save five million by cutting him--five million you can spend to help keep Daron Payne on the team.

Guys like Curtis Samuel are the ones we should be trying to jettison, not our actual good players like Payne and Sweat.  I see so much handwringing on this forum about being able to afford to keep Payne in the building, but nobody really questions why we can afford to keep Curtis Samuel at a 13 million cap hit and Chase Roullier at a 12 million cap hit?  Kendall Fuller at an 11 million dollar hit?  All them dudes are JAGs being paid like high level starters.  Cut their asses, replace them with better or cheaper options (or both), and keep your ****ing studs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Guys like Curtis Samuel are the ones we should be trying to jettison, not our actual good players like Payne and Sweat.  I see so much handwringing on this forum about being able to afford to keep Payne in the building, but nobody really questions why we can afford to keep Curtis Samuel at a 13 million cap hit and Chase Roullier at a 12 million cap hit?  Kendall Fuller at an 11 million dollar hit?  All them dudes are JAGs being paid like high level starters.  Cut their asses, replace them with better or cheaper options (or both), and keep your ****ing studs.

I'm with you on keeping Payne and Sweat. I just don't know if cutting Samuel and then turning around and drafting a WR in the 1st is the best way to build out the roster. 

Roullier is probably getting cut too since he's had back to back season ending injuries. Didn't realize Fuller had an 11 million dollar cap hit but honestly for a starting CB that's probably reasonable in today's NFL.