Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I wouldn’t.  Bijon is an elite player.  If he stays healthy, he will not bust.  

I don't think he will bust either.  I just don't believe in taking a rb that high, given the short shelf life and ability to get impact RBs in the midrounds.  

I would rather have Tyree Wilson & 3rd round RB than bijan & 3rd round pass rusher.  Plenty of other potential combos, but I know you get my point.

Maybe the worst case scenario imo is instead of taking bijan they trade back and accumulate more picks and continue their roll of stockpiling premium draft picks.  That has not been fun to watch.  We both might croak if they trade back AND get bijan 😂

• Thumb up 1

https://riggosrag.com/2023/03/09/commanders-2023-nfl-mock-draft-trading-daron-ayne/

Commanders 7-round 2023 NFL mock draft 10.0: Trading Daron Payne

Commanders trade Daron Payne to the Cincinnati Bengals

Payne for the Bengal's 1st & 4th round picks

Washington is able to facilitate a trade with the Green Bay Packers and acquire their second and third-round draft picks. 

1st OT Darnell Wright

2nd CB Julius Brents

2nd OG Steve Avila

3rd RB Tyjae Spears

3rd LB Dorian Williams

4th OC Olusegun Oluwatimi

5th LB Aubrey Miller

6th OG Andrew Vorhees

6th S Trey Dean

7th QB Clayton Tune

Love this draft - a little meh with Dorian Williams but I do like his motor.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

https://riggosrag.com/2023/03/09/commanders-2023-nfl-mock-draft-trading-daron-ayne/

Commanders 7-round 2023 NFL mock draft 10.0: Trading Daron Payne

Commanders trade Daron Payne to the Cincinnati Bengals

Payne for the Bengal's 1st & 4th round picks

Washington is able to facilitate a trade with the Green Bay Packers and acquire their second and third-round draft picks. 

1st OT Darnell Wright

2nd CB Julius Brents

2nd OG Steve Avila

3rd RB Tyjae Spears

3rd LB Dorian Williams

4th OC Olusegun Oluwatimi

5th LB Aubrey Miller

6th OG Andrew Vorhees

6th S Trey Dean

7th QB Clayton Tune

Love this draft - a little meh with Dorian Williams but I do like his motor.

I like Wright.  

I like Brents profile haven't watched him yet.

Avila I like at center, not guard, I'd be good with it but probably like other options more.  

Spears I've watched in the Senior Bowl, haven't watched games yet.

I watched a lot of Dorain Williams, he looks the part, he's athletic, but man does he somehow gets lost in the wash on so many plays.  Doesn't shed tackles as much I'd like but wouldn't hate it based on traits

Olu I like especially in the 4th.

Haven't watched Aubrey Miller

I wouldn't take a flier on Vorhees.  He's already 24, so i'll have him for the first time at 25?  He's a solid guard IMO, nothing special.  Not enough upside to Bryce Love the pick

Haven't watched Dean.

I'd love Clayton Tune.  He's my top mid tier QB after Haener but doubt he's there in the 7th.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

49ers were awarded seven compensatory draft picks today, including three third-round picks - No. 99, 101 and 102. 49ers also gained comp picks in rounds 5, 6, and two in 7, so seven extra picks added today.

They now have 11 in total and only 2 are from their original selections....

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

49ers were awarded seven compensatory draft picks today, including three third-round picks - No. 99, 101 and 102. 49ers also gained comp picks in rounds 5, 6, and two in 7, so seven extra picks added today.

I think all three of those picks are Rooney rule related. Teams who develop minority coaches, then lose them to another team, are awarded a third rounder. In this case, DeMeco Ryans, Ran Carthon and Mike McDaniel. I could be wrong but I think that's how it played out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wright is my fifth choice among the OLs.  I think his value is fine at the end of the first, but IMO he's a clear notch down from the top four OLs in the class.  My problem with him is that his film has a bunch of troubling lost reps.  I don't like that he got dominated by Bryan Bresee, and there were some bad reps against Brenton Cox too.

I don't think he's as consistent as Skoronski and the Ohio State guys, and I don't think his upside is as high as Harrison.

I think he could have some of the same protection and scheme translation issues that Cosmi has, and that he's much less of an upgrade at OT over Cosmi than Harrison and D Jones would be.

But I also think he's the last OT in the class that we can draft where I would expect a Day 1 starter.

Personally, I would rather stay at 16 and pick D Jones or Harrison than move down for Wright to add a third and fifth.  What I'm hoping for is that Wright is higher on team boards than those two are, and that he and B Jones are the ones who go early and create a window for us to trade back a bit and still get Harrison or D Jones.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Wright is my fifth choice among the OLs.  I think his value is fine at the end of the first, but IMO he's a clear notch down from the top four OLs in the class.  My problem with him is that his film has a bunch of troubling lost reps.  I don't like that he got dominated by Bryan Bresee, and there were some bad reps against Brenton Cox too.

I don't think he's as consistent as Skoronski and the Ohio State guys, and I don't think his upside is as high as Harrison.

I think he could have some of the same protection and scheme translation issues that Cosmi has, and that he's much less of an upgrade at OT over Cosmi than Harrison and D Jones would be.

But I also think he's the last OT in the class that we can draft where I would expect a Day 1 starter.

Personally, I would rather stay at 16 and pick D Jones or Harrison than move down for Wright to add a third and fifth.  What I'm hoping for is that Wright is higher on team boards than those two are, and that he and B Jones are the ones who go early and create a window for us to trade back a bit and still get Harrison or D Jones.

I think we're in the same place in the OT spot.

1. Paris

2. Dawand

3. Harrison (2/3 may vary)

4. Wright

----Tier Drop---

• Like 2

Just now, Going Commando said:

I think WR1 will be there at 16.  I figure the following players will be gone by 15 (in no particular order):

QB(4):  Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis

RB(1):  Bijon

OL(2):  Johnson, Skoronski

TE(1):  Mayer/Kinkaid (think one goes)

DL/Edge(5):  Anderson, Wilson, Carter (think some teams takes the gambit), Murphy, Van Ness (too many of the draftniks have been touting him) 

DB(2):  Gonzalez, Witherspoon

Teams may want to trade up for Porter (jumping Pittsburgh at 17) or WR1.  CB & DT are the Jags biggest needs for example.  Tampa needs a CB (although they could clearly target OL).  

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think we're in the same place in the OT spot.

1. Paris

2. Dawand

3. Harrison (2/3 may vary)

4. Wright

----Tier Drop---

I am the same place too but It sounds like I am higher on Wright than @Going Commando.  He was really good against Will Anderson among other things, watched that game twice.  Anderson said he's the best tackle he's faced. 

From what I read he studies hard.  Wright had a big combine and Paulsen who was there said he looked really smooth on the field.  As much as I like Harrison and have for a long time, in part because of his upside and age and ability to play both sides -- Wright in spite of being 20 pounds heavier beat Harrison and a host of others both on the vertical and horizontal which was important for me to see because I worried about his agility pre-combine.  I still do worry but now not as much.  

As for all of us liking Dawnd 2nd, its actually pretty funky compared to the draft media, i don't think anyone has him 2nd, many have him 5th or 6th.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Eagles might not take Bijon at 10:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/report-eagles-give-darius-slay-permission-to-seek-trade/

I think they take CB at 10 (although I have Bijon as a much higher rated QB).

I think, as KB said earlier and I agree, they are a really smart franchise and won't go RB at 10. If anything, they'd trade back and take the best back after acquiring 2-3 extra picks on top of it. 

Staying at 10 they probably go Edge, CB or OL (I haven't heard if anyone was retiring for them up front).

But I like that you are keeping the idea alive. I want to keep saying it outloud that they could draft Bijan so I am not terrified of the thought of Bijan on that team for the next two months.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for all of us liking Dawnd 2nd, its actually pretty funky compared to the draft media, i don't think anyone has him 2nd, many have him 5th or 6th.

Draftniks are sleeping on Dawand hard.  Longer and faster Orlando Brown Jr doesn't do it for them I guess.  Just a four time Probowler who is far and away the best OT from the 2018 draft class.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think, as KB said earlier and I agree, they are a really smart franchise and won't go RB at 10. If anything, they'd trade back and take the best back after acquiring 2-3 extra picks on top of it. 

Staying at 10 they probably go Edge, CB or OL (I haven't heard if anyone was retiring for them up front).

But I like that you are keeping the idea alive. I want to keep saying it outloud that they could draft Bijan so I am not terrified of the thought of Bijan on that team for the next two months.

If they are letting Sanders go and do, odds increase a little. But they are letting 5 time probowl CB work on a trade too. Best player? 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

If they are letting Sanders go and do, odds increase a little. But they are letting 5 time probowl CB work on a trade too. Best player? 

Who Slay? Why would they lose both CBs? 

Find me the last first round RB the Eagles drafted. They're the top running team with Jags at RB. Gibbs at 30 makes way more sense. Bijon will go in the 20's IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Who Slay? Why would they lose both CBs? 

Find me the last first round RB the Eagles drafted. They're the top running team with Jags at RB. Gibbs at 30 makes way more sense. Bijon will go in the 20's IMO. 

Eagles letting Slay pursue a trade (or likely, be released if nothing materializes) AND letting James Bradberry walk in FA leaves them thin. I think they're also letting Chauncey Gardner-Johnson go in FA ... as well as Javon Hargrave ... they'll need to do a lot of work in the draft to address the defense/secondary

Darius Rush, the other South Carolina corner.  Intriguing.   2nd-3rd round?  3 times honor roll student, really high character from what I've read.

We are talking about Brents being a freak.  So is Rush.   Played WR previously so still learning the spot.  He had 2 picks last year and a FF.  

In the games I watched he played mostly outside, some slot.  He uses his length well to press.    Played press and off.  Against Levis, assume they were fearful of him going deep, he played well off at times -- 15 yards or so. 

He's a bit grabby, seems like almost every CB I watch in college with length overuse their arms that way.

I didn't always have the best camera angles in the games I watched, but he does look every but the freak that the combine showed, long arms, long legs and can fly. 

And he looked sticky enough in coverage to my eyes.  Got beat by some double moves.  Physical player who is feisty against the run.  It was a bit confusing because South Carolina has a player with number 29, so I could have sworn that i saw Rush have some reps at safety playing post but it might have been their #29 and not him, he's number 28.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Darius Rush, the other South Carolina corner.  Intriguing.   2nd-3rd round?  3 times honor roll student, really high character from what I've read.

We are talking about Brents being a freak.  So is Rush.   Played WR previously so still learning the spot.  He had 2 picks last year and a FF.  

In the games I watched he played mostly outside, some slot.  He uses his length well to press.    Played press and off.  Against Levis, assume they were fearful of him going deep, he played well off at times -- 15 yards or so. 

He's a bit grabby, seems like almost every CB I watch in college with length overuse their arms that way.

I didn't always have the best camera angles in the games I watched, but he does look every but the freak that the combine showed, long arms, long legs and can fly. 

And he looked sticky enough in coverage to my eyes.  Got beat by some double moves.  Physical player who is feisty against the run.  It was a bit confusing because Sotuh Carolina has a player with number 29, so I could have sworn that i saw Rush have some reps at safety playing post but it might have been their #29 and not him, he's 28.

Yup. I like Rush. He is wayyy too grabby, though. He's fast as hell. Can play both flavors of coverage. But one thing that really stood out to me was he bit on nearly every double move I saw. Guy runs and out and he is running the route. Which is great. Until he runs an out and up and the receiver is 15 yards downfield with no one near him. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yup. I like Rush. He is wayyy too grabby, though. He's fast as hell. Can play both flavors of coverage. But one thing that really stood out to me was he bit on nearly every double move I saw. Guy runs and out and he is running the route. Which is great. Until he runs an out and up and the receiver is 15 yards downfield with no one near him. 

Agree, made similar points.

His WR background along with his traits intrigue me, in one game I watched he made a spectacular diving catch but alas he was out of bounds. 

• Like 1