Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Keim is good at giving player-draft gossip but he usually doesn't go that deep into their X and O's thoughts but he gave an interesting one in today's podcast.

He said the coaching staff values three spots on the O line heavily and in this order

A. LT

B.  C

C.  RG

not that its that revolutionary.  I know with Turner's system there is more of a burden on the center because they (not the QB) calls the protections.  RG I presume because of the run blocking -- pulling -- 2nd level blocks, etc.  So Cosmi potentially playing RG this Sunday could be interesting.

• Like 4

Just watched a game of O'Cyrus Torrence

A. Excellent in pass protection -- mirrors well, sometimes blocks two on the same play, great at anchoring, stout, recovers fast if a defender starts slipping by him.

B.  As a run blocker, I didn't see much 2nd level blocking, assuming that's scheme oriented, he's assignment sound -- he gets in front of the defender, I'd say medium level of a mauler -- he plows the defender pretty good but i've seen more violent RGs but he's violent enough.

The 6-foot-5, 347-pounder currently leads all SEC guards in overall grade (89.0), run-blocking grade (91.7), and positively graded run-block percentage (23.6%).

Not bad for a player who wasn’t even sure if he could hang at this level.

Stat   Rank in Power 5
Overall grade 89.1 3rd
Run-blocking grade 91.7 1st
Positively graded run-block % 23.6% 4th

“When I went in the transfer portal, I thought I was just going to get in and get out,” Torrence said in an exclusive interview with PFF. “It couldn’t hurt just to go in and see if a bigger school would reach out. But when I got in the portal, [Napier] was the first one to reach out.

“It made me feel pretty good. I thought he wouldn’t need me because he went to the SEC — and there are a bunch of good offensive linemen there. I wouldn’t say I had low confidence, but I figured he wouldn’t need me there. But he trusted and knew that I could be just as good of a player in this league as I was in that one.”

Torrence started playing the game of football just because his oldest cousins were playing. He wanted to be like them. But he said he gave up football once he got to middle school and didn’t think he’d play again.

In the end, it was the brotherhood, love of competition and a high school head coach who told him he was too damn big not to be playing football that helped get the pads back on.

He played both sides of the ball in high school and actually had an offer from Georgia to play defensive line. But his heart was on offense; he liked being the guy who set up duo blocks rather than being the one taking them on. But the scholarship offers on offense didn’t come from the Power Five schools. Instead, he joined Napier at the University of Louisiana. It was there that he really took the next step toward being the dominant offensive lineman we see today.

As a true freshman, the Greensburg, La., native was just a backup in camp, but an injury to their starting left guard early in the season meant that he was going to be thrown into the fire whether he was ready or not.

“I was super nervous,” Torrence said. “I was nervous before every game. I didn’t realize how much they really needed me until I really got into film review and understood how important each spot on the offensive line was. I was taking it seriously for me, but when I became a starter, I realized how important it was to be a whole offensive line working together.”

Torrence started 13 games as a true freshman in 2019. In 2020, he started 11 games and earned second-team Sun Belt honors. In 2021, his third year, he started another 12 games and was named an all-conference player.

Year Overall grade Run-blocking grade
2019 72.8 71.5
2020 74.2 74.7
2021 88.2 89.4
2022 89.1 91.7

Torrence attributes his success to learning behind Kevin Dotson, former UL offensive lineman and current Pittsburgh Steelers left guard.

“I was following behind Kevin’s footsteps,” Torrence said. “When we would travel or when I had questions, I would always ask Kevin. He was that mentor to me. We both played guard, so I would try to take things from his game and put them into my game.”

Now in the SEC, Torrence is not just playing as well as he did at Louisiana — he’s playing even better. And as he has matched up against superior pass-rushers, it has only taught him more and allowed him to advance his game.

“I’ve realized in this league you can’t just punch and kick everybody [in pass sets],” Torrence said. “Players are better with their hand movement. In fall camp, I had that problem. During the early stages, I was getting beat in one-on-one drills because I was just punching, and these players are good at knocking my hands down instead of me catching and refitting my hands. Not everyone is going to want to bull rush me, so I can afford to take a shorter set and refit my hands. In the Sun Belt, it was just the same type of rushers, but here it’s speed guys with power. So I’ve had to adjust to the power.”

Torrence called the learning curve “interesting but fun,”  and it’s certainly fun when the learning part of what you do still yields elite grades.

Week after week, Torrence is proving that he belongs in the SEC. And he will soon belong in the NFL.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-florida-gators-ocyrus-torrence-is-only-getting-better-against-the-best-competition

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

When NFL offenses run simple offenses with a lot of one read designed plays for the QB, we think of it as Micky Mouse offenses.  An example would be what the Carolina Panthers were running earlier this year before Matt Rhule was fired.   The NY Jets went in that direction for Zach Wilson and sometimes it worked like against the Bills (a lot of screen, roll outs and other plays designed to predetermine the read).  If the defense has not really gameplanned for it at the NFL level, it can work, but as soon as NFL defenses know its coming, they can stop it. We think a good NFL offense is more of a concept driven offense.  You run the flood concept against zone and read certain defenders to decide to throw to what level.  You run verticals and see how the safeties bend, et cetea.   

Its kind of the opposite in college.   All college offenses have the same concepts as pro offenses, but in pure pro style offenses that are almost entirely concept driven, analysts tend to say they are too hard on the QB.  That there are easy throws to be had at the college level that are not available at the NFL level and by running all concept driven plays, you are passing on those easy throws.   An example of that would be Jimbo Fishers offense at Texas A&M.

What can make it tough to evaluate college QB's is some many of them come from offenses with talented OC's who have maximized the easy throws for their QB.  I think Herndon Hooker had a great season at Tennessee, but I feel like the playcalling allowed him to have lots of throws where he knew before the snap where he was throwing.  I don't know the percentage of his throws were one predetermined read and what percentage were concept driven, but I am hearing on podcasts that Josh Heupel is giving him a lot of predetermined one read throws.   I feel like Pennix may the same.  I saw him start 3 years in Indiana.   He had a big arm and nice wheels.  He was good in 2020 and meh in 2019 and 2021.  All of a sudden he goes to Washington where lets say his percentage of predetermined schemed throws doubles from 25% to 50% and of a sudden he has a very good season.  My question is how much of that translates.

Its hard to evaluate college QB's for lots of reasons.  For a guy like a CJ Stroud, its hard to figure out if he can throw with anticipation because his receivers tend to be open all the time.  No need to throw with anticipation.  With a lot of QB's its about figuring how good they will be when you reduce the easy schemed predetermined throws they get.  With others its about figuring out if you can devleop their nice physical tools (e.g. Levis who is a solid college QB, but not an elite one).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, method man said:

His QB Penix is now getting first round hype in a lot of places. The question marks are a longer delivery with mechanics and a long injury history but he has everything else you look for in a franchise QB

Longer delivery is a huge red flag. That never pans in out in the NFL.

• Sad 1

Jake Haener was kind of dark horse QB favorite last year.  He's missed a lot of time this year.

I am watching him right now, I'd throw the dice in the 4th round or whatever.  It's a buy low situation I assume because of all the time he missed this year, not a big dude and he is 24 coming out.

Don't get me wrong, he doesn't blow me away.  But as I said last year, he has some Heinicke in him.  Plays with moxie, elusive in the pocket, scrappy player, good accuracy. 

Kind of amazed that Dabo stuck with DJ as long as he did when he had to know Klubnic was probably better.  He didn't waste any time booting Kelly Bryant for Trevor Lawrence.  Must have been a tough recruiting battle to get DJ to sign with Clemson that he couldn't let go of.

For that matter, I don't really understand why DJ never panned out for Clemson.  Feels like if he'd have ended up in the Big-12, then he'd still have first round buzz.

Man I know we really need a QB, but if one doesn’t appear to be a realistic option this draft I hope we go some combination of CB/OT/OG in in rounds 1, 2, and 4. I’d imagine they likely turn to FA for OL help just in case nothing is there in the draft.

• Like 1