Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

17 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We have some talent on the roster but loaded? No way. The OL needs a complete overhaul. We don't have a legitimate starting TE. We need a #2 CB(or #1 and make St. Juste our #2).

And after this offseason we might lose Holcomb and Payne, opening up two more holes.

Say we're good everywhere but at like two OL spots, TE, and one or two spots in the back seven--that is loaded by NFL standards.  Nobody is walking studs out at every spot, but when you've got more than half your starting jobs filled by good players (and we do), then you're not far away from contention.

The reason why people think we suck is because of our question mark at QB.  But if we get someone to come in and take the reins of the job, then that's all we need.  If we draft a good OL or Keelee Ringo in the first round, get a good OL in the second, sign Dalton Risner and keep Payne, and find a dangerous punt returner, then runway will be wide open for a vet QB to come in here and win.

And failing that, we have an interesting QB prospect in development already.  We're 5-5 against a brutal schedule with injuries and churn at quarterback and center.  This team is good and we've got good options in front of us.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Say we're good everywhere but at like two OL spots, TE, and one or two spots in the back seven--that is loaded by NFL standards.  Nobody is walking studs out at every spot, but when you've got more than half your starting jobs filled by good players (and we do), then you're not far away from contention.

The reason why people think we suck is because of our question mark at QB.  But if we get someone to come in and take the reins of the job, then that's all we need.  If we draft a good OL or Keelee Ringo in the first round, get a good OL in the second, sign Dalton Risner and keep Payne, and find a dangerous punt returner, then runway will be wide open for a vet QB to come in here and win.

And failing that, we have an interesting QB prospect in development already.  We're 5-5 against a brutal schedule with injuries and churn at quarterback and center.  This team is good and we've got good options in front of us.

I'd also add Rivera clearly has some ego about him about the O line spot, Masko too.  He loves talking about the trenches.  He's noticed the downgrade this season on the O line and blamed that on their slow start.  Masko had the reputation of turning lemons into lemonade.  I've heard multipe reporters say they are privately high on Chris Paul and he might be given a shot soon.   i am actually fired up to see what they do on O line this off season and I got no doubt they will address it.

I agree with a point you made earlier than its not an easy position to transition quickly to in the NFL.  But I do think talent prevails to some extent.  Scherff was pretty good from the start.  Cosmi, too.  I think guard is an easier transition for rookies than tackles.  Some of the young guards from the last draft are doing well in the NFL from the jump.

This defense IMO is good and young and I don't want to waste it.  I'd like to see them patch the holes and I don't think we have a ton of them.  When Bruce said years ago this team was "close".  I disagreed and I mocked the statement.  I don't mock it today.  I get some were angry at the bad start and had a lets tear it all up attitude but time IMO has shown this roster is actually pretty good.

Darrick Forrest looks like a good safety.  St. Juste a good corner.  Jamin is good now.  Payne IMO is having his biggest season.  There are legit things to point to for the defenses resurgence.  And this is all without Chase.  I am not sure about Chase this season coming off that injury but i suspect next season he will be back in force.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

This isn't 2005, you shouldn't want us to run an old school 4-3 defense. Some teams (including us) barely ever or never run 3 LB's out there.

Teams are starting to run more and more 3-3-5. But the more you can stay in base the better. That will always be true. 

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Teams are starting to run more and more 3-3-5. But the more you can stay in base the better. That will always be true. 

If by 3-3-5 you mean 2 glorified "LB's" that line as an Edge 90% of the time, then that's grossly misleading. Nobody is putting a Von Miller style pass rusher at off-ball for majority of the snaps. Remember when we ran a 3-4 with Orakpo and Kerrigan as "LB's". They weren't off-ball LB's. It was a 5-2 defense that would have an Edge drop.

Otherwise I have strong doubts about that 3-3-5 claim without data. I would be shocked, as it does not help against the pass or the run. LB's are increasingly seeing less usage. Against the hyper mobile QB's, teams will keep DL, remove LB's and CB's, and add Safeties. Remember Lamar Jackson's first big playoff loss? Chargers D was a 4-0-7 for most of that game.

• Like 2

The 2021 draft class for Washington definitely seems better now than it did a couple months ago.

Round 1  Jamin Davis: A couple months ago he seemed like a possible bust.  Now he seems like he is developing into a good player.  Probably not worth the 19 overall pick, but just a mild reach.

Round 2  Samuel Cosmi:  Seemed like a good pick a couple months and still seems like a good pick.

Round 3   Benjamin St. Juste:  A couple months ago this pick felt like it was up in the air.  Now it looks like solid value for a third round pick (a starter)

Round 3 Dyami Brown:  A couple months ago this seemed like a bad pick.  It stills does, but with four catches and two TD's over the last five games he at least looks like he belongs on a NFL roster

Round 4 John Bates:  Seemed like a decent value pick and still does.

Round 5 Derrick Forrest:  Seemed like  a meh pick a few months ago and now it feels like a good pick as we possible got a starter in the 5th round.

Round 6 Cameron Cheeseman:  Seemed like a niche pick at the time and still does, but at least it wasn't a failed niche pick.  He hasn't had any snapping issues.

Round 7 William Bradley King:  Seemed like an okay pick, but a bit meh, kind of like what you expect out of a 7th round pick and still feels that way.

Round 7 Shaka Toney:  Felt similar to the William Bradley King pick.  Still mostly feels that way but the fact that he has made two 53 man rosters and does get some reps means it reality it was a decent pick for the late 7th round.

Round 7 Dax Milne:  See William Bradley King and Shaka Toney.   Like Shaka Toney, Milne is not going to excite you, but the fact we got a contributor in the late 7th round probably means the pick was a win.

Getting five possible starters in Davis, Cosmi, St. Juste, Bates, and Forrest definitely means that the class seems more likely to be a good one than a bad one for the organization though we still need a couple more years for final judgement.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 6

Jones is playing his way out of our draft range unfortunately.  He's looking like OT1 and a potential top 10 pick, as OTs tend to go higher than expected on draft day rather than fall.  I would love to get him because he's a potential LT mainstay as opposed to just a good OL prospect.

The guy I am fixating on right now is PJJr because I think he might still be there in the late teens due to his lack of starts at OT.  His reputation for high intangibles also piqued my interest, as that is the kind of personality that Ron has gravitated towards as a team builder.  The kid sounds like a real self-starter with a genuine commitment to service.  Good mix of high level talent and character, but again, OT prospects tend to climb in the draft and he might play his way out of our range by the end of the year.

If we make a true run at the postseason and end up picking in the 20s, I don't think we have a shot at either PJJr or Jones.  I think we're in Voorhees and Skoronski territory at that point.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Jones is playing his way out of our draft range unfortunately.  He's looking like OT1 and a potential top 10 pick, as OTs tend to go higher than expected on draft day rather than fall.  I would love to get him because he's a potential LT mainstay as opposed to just a good OL prospect.

The guy I am fixating on right now is PJJr because I think he might still be there in the late teens due to his lack of starts at OT.  His reputation for high intangibles also piqued my interest, as that is the kind of personality that Ron has gravitated towards as a team builder.  The kid sounds like a real self-starter with a genuine commitment to service.  Good mix of high level talent and character, but again, OT prospects tend to climb in the draft and he might play his way out of our range by the end of the year.

If we make a true run at the postseason and end up picking in the 20s, I don't think we have a shot at either PJJr or Jones.  I think we're in Voorhees and Skoronski territory at that point.

I haven't watched any of them yet, just compiling info on who to look at right now.  I just read an article from PFN that stated the media draft community didn't love this tackle class before this season but its creeping up to be a good one now in their view.  Some I noticed are really high on Fashanu, who isn't even 20 yet.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't watched any of them yet, just compiling info on who to look at right now.  I just read an article from PFN that stated the media draft community didn't love this tackle class before this season but its creeping up to be a good one now in their view.  Some I noticed are really high on Fashanu, who isn't even 20 yet.

Olu is an interesting prospect. I definitely see the smoothness and athleticism in that tape. I wouldn't say there are zero red flags, though. I would definitely be watching how well he anchors in the rest of his film. There are a couple reps where he gets bull rushed back into the pocket. I would want to see if that's a trend with him and whether it looks to be fixable. Otherwise, I understand the hype. He shows a lot of good traits and he's young. 

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 3

I have not watched full games of Dalton Kincaid yet, but checked out his catches against USC and watched his highlights.

A.  Good catch radius

B.  Good YAC guy

C.  Plays outside and inside

D.  Strong hands

E.  Gets open in tight space -- in the seam

Fun watch in the limited watching I did so far.  For a big dude he accelerates fast so he's a good YAC guy from what I saw.  Plays with a lot of fire.  Has some tone setter in him as to his style of play.

11 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I was fishing around about 2023 compensatory picks and this may have been posted back in the summer but it looks like even giving up a 3rd for Wentz, we'll get one back from Scherff loss and then another 6th for Settle.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

image.thumb.png.129f05cb745a94f1e00c66c93cb3b470.png

Yep.  That’s what tankathon has as well.  Eight picks altogether.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is a mixed bag for me. I like that these young men are compensated for their name and likeness. They should be for the amount of money they bring the university… but paying them more than a professional when they are technically amateurs is a bit much. 

And this makes program equity even harder to achieve. The rich will have high end programs and the not so rich will be mediocre at best. 

which we’ve kind of had anyways, but now it’s much more definitive. 

College is supposed to be amateur, but it’s not.

I think I’d like it better if college football was split again. There’s D1, 2 and 3. I think there should be an additional level for the power 5 programs. Some of these schools literally CANNOT compete.

• Like 3

Today is the first time I've had the chance to watch Levis play.  That Georgia defense is elite but Levis has shown some flashes throughout this game. Very strong arm and he can move for a big guy.  I know he's been banged up for most of the season but he definitely has a Josh Allen type skill set.  

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maryland vs Ohio State game is fire

Yeah I'm watching it for the LTs.  Every time I see PJJr play, I like him more.  I think he's OT1 in this class, but I've got a ton of other prospects to watch before I can land confidently on that take.

Duncan OTOH, has already totally lost me.  I don't see any quality with him at all TBH.  The dude can't finish a block to save his life.  Zach Harrison just beat his ass for the key pressure on that third down and basically stymied their momentum.  Not only do I think this kid is not a good NFL prospect, I don't even see a good college player.

• Like 2