Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

SIP what are your thoughts on CJ Stroud? Have you seen enough of him to say he's the top QB coming out this year?  Me personally,  I really like Young, he checks most of the boxes, I just can't get past his small frame and have my questions of how long he'll be able to hold up in the pros, especially behind a O-line like ours.

Edited by DazedSkinsfan

If this team can add a legit RT and move Cosmi inside, the line is in much better shape than it is today. This could be one of the better situations for a rookie QB to be put into given all the skill talent that the team has. Loading a rookie QB with skill talent obviously doesn't guarantee success...see Zach Wilson

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another reason to draft a QB,   Dan is cheap as heck.  Eagles load up in part because of having a rookie QB.  this team more than most has to offseat ownership being unwilling to spend. 

Yep having a rookie QB helps.

As it happens though the Eagles cash spend in 2022 is less than 5% more than ours, plus both the Cowboys and Giants is less than both.

Cash doesn’t seem the defining issue in my opinion.

@KDawg and I loved the player and got some push back

4 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

SIP what are your thoughts on CJ Stroud? Have you seen enough of him to say he's the top QB coming out this year?  Me personally,  I really like Young, he checks most of the boxes, I just can't get past his small frame and have my questions of how long he'll be able to hold up in the pros, especially behind a O-line like ours.

I got to watch him more carefully, I've done it casually so far.   

Young intrigues me a lot, his size though worries me. 

i am bit behind on the QBs.  When the season started I didn't think this would be the spot but am now thinking good chance it will be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So going into the upcoming draft without counting free agency and other moves, our biggest needs in no particular order is OL, LB,  CB with the possibility of being in position to grab one of the top QBs. Obviously the QB position is still up in the air with regards to Wentz, plenty of time still for a turnaround although I'm really losing faith of that happening.  

I guess depending on our draft position and where the QBs grade, I feel if we can get him then pull the trigger.  It really sucks that not only is LB a glaring hole with talent but now we have major issues with the Oline. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Unless we pick in the first 3-5 picks we should go O-tackle and cb in the second round. 
and go after a middle lb in free agency. 

if we can get one of the top 3 qb do that and pick up a tackle in the second round

What we should do is just build up our Oline, and defense these next few drafts, then completely tank the 2025 season and grab Arch Manning with the #1 pick in 2026. Might be our easiest path to a superbowl in our lifetime lol 🤣🤣

Well we’re going to have a long list of needs, and I’m still holding onto some hope that Wentz and Howell can prove themselves as a 1-2 combination at QB. However if we seriously flunk this season, which is very possible by the looks of things, QB would simply have to be the pick if it’s a ~top 5 selection.

I can only support drafting a QB if Ron and Mayhew are fired and a new front office and coaching staff are hired.  As far as I'm concerned, Howell is the last draft resource this regime gets to spend on QB.  Giving a lame duck regime an eighth shot at QB is insanity and it would set the prospect up to fail same as it did with Ramsey, Campbell, Griffin, and Haskins.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I can only support drafting a QB if Ron and Mayhew are fired and a new front office and coaching staff are hired.  As far as I'm concerned, Howell is the last draft resource this regime gets to spend on QB.  Giving a lame duck regime an eighth shot at QB is insanity and it would set the prospect up to fail same as it did with Ramsey, Campbell, Griffin, and Haskins.

I’m mostly with Steve here. If the crew is back then Howell needs to be QB1 next year. And they sink or swim (we all know the results are going to be top notch so it’s stupid not to do this anyways if they are back) with him. 

I don’t care where we pick. If we have a shot at a high end QB and we draft him to a lame duck regime we sink him from the start. 

If we draft that high we trade the pick for a ransom and fill the roster to support Howell.

Unless there is a new regime.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Agreed with this. I have 0 trust in this current regime when it comes to QBs. I think they've done some good things with the roster I'll give them that, but if we're still in the market for a QB in YEAR FOUR then its time for them to go.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Im right there with you. I want no part of Ron and Martys taking a QB, heaven forbid trading up for one just for them to be fired in November of 2023 on the tails of a 3-11 record. They cant keep doing the same mistake like the ones you listed. Let a new staff pick their own guy in year 1 or 2. Not an old staff out the door in year 4. Thats asinine. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed with this. I have 0 trust in this current regime when it comes to QBs. I think they've done some good things with the roster I'll give them that, but if we're still in the market for a QB in YEAR FOUR then its time for them to go.

Its not that its just year 4 but the fact that they really havent taken a realistic swing at one. They can talk all they want about Stafford or Wilson. Neither were ever going to come to this organization with Dan. The only option was a high end rookie and they evaded it at every opportunity. 

On 10/6/2022 at 12:19 PM, Zim489 said:

My current needs list in order of need

CB IOL LB FS LT TE 

Obviously QB is at the top of the list but cant be a Ron led organization picking one.

I disagree with LT and TE. Leno is very solid and the depth at TE is great - one of these young guys should emerge into at least a low end starter.

For CB, it is a risk but the best way to ensure they get a starting quality corner after they cut Fuller and Jackson is to, ironically, sign one in FA. For IOL, the play there should be to get a tackle who can pass protect better than Cosmi and move Cosmi inside to guard, where he has All Pro potential. For LB, that one is hard. For FS, hoping that Butler can emerge as a solution. The guy certainly has the range to be able to play it

Tangentially Draft related is the thought of us knowing what Wentz is by game 8 (honestly we already know) Sometimes a top 5 player, sometimes a fumbling stoic sack magnet. The Roller coaster ride is unpredictable on which QB will show up. So it becomes a question of how much capital you want to invest in that ride, and if it is prudent to continue doing so. Sitting Carson means an earlier glimpse on Howells ability to lead the team and how much we need to draft a QB in 2023. At the current pace we may be in position to either draft one or trade for a bounty of picks from a team that does. All while preserving the price of our  2nd round being sent to Indy.

Got to give Wentz till game nine or ten see where we sit at that point. Top 2 pick probably pick Qb.  

If we look at are schudule we probably end up with 6 or 7 wins we will end up picking at  10 or 11 spot. If we pick at 10 or 11 we have enough  holes on this team to pick other positions. I don't want to morgage the future unless it's a total rebuild.

Edited by Redskins 2021

12 hours ago, IrepDC said:

To'o To'o on Alabama has better eyes than any LB on our roster. The way he immediately starts searching for crossers, in zone coverage in particular, is something we have been in need of for a few years.

I've been able to watch him a lot the last couple years and the announcers were absolutely right about him being a true QB on the defensive side of the ball. He's also a ball hawk on almost every play. Skill set I'd say I wouldn't expect a generational player, but he would be a immediate upgrade to the defense and one of those guys that's a fixture at that position for a long time to come.

20 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Got to give Wentz till game nine or ten see where we sit at that point. Top 2 pick probably pick Qb.  

If we look at are schudule we probably end up with 6 or 7 wins we will end up picking at  10 or 11 spot. If we pick at 10 or 11 we have enough  holes on this team to pick other positions. I don't want to morgage the future unless it's a total rebuild.

Most definitely agree with you here, especially if we are rolling with Ron and Turner for 2023. If we hold on to the same coaching staff but picking top 5 then this would be a good year to build some draft capital and address OL, LB and CB.  This is a good QB class so if we're picking high then we should have no problem finding a QB hungry team desperately trying to trade up. 

@Skinsinparadise your guy Dameon Pierce has been killing it for me in fantasy football, which has really helped me cope with Jonathan Taylor and the Indy offense having such a poor season.  I made sure to snag him in our draft because of how much you had hyped him up as I never really formed a solid take of my own on him.

Couldn't have known what would happen to Brian Robinson but it already looks like we made a major mistake in passing over Pierce.  Hopefully Robinson settles in and has a big year because we don't have a lot of hope on offense otherwise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Our OL is a disaster and needs to be completely rebuilt.  We need three new starters for the group, and only have one or two picks that will be good bets to get year one starters.

If this FO makes it to 2023, then I hope they do the next regime a solid by spending our draft on the OL.

I'd draft a QB and spend like crazy to build an OL around him. The best way to win in today's NFL is to get a good QB on a rookie contract and stack the team around him, or have a megastar QB like a Mahomes/Allen type(which you pretty much have to draft in the 1st round to begin with).

But like you said before, I don't trust this current FO/coaching staff to pick the right QB or develop him.

Edited by Warhead36

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

@Skinsinparadise your guy Dameon Pierce has been killing it for me in fantasy football, which has really helped me cope with Jonathan Taylor and the Indy offense having such a poor season.  I made sure to snag him in our draft because of how much you had hyped him up as I never really formed a solid take of my own on him.

Couldn't have known what would happen to Brian Robinson but it already looks like we made a major mistake in passing over Pierce.  Hopefully Robinson settles in and has a big year because we don't have a lot of hope on offense otherwise.

Pierce is such a violent runner.  Has good hands.  He's also a really good pass blocker.  Had a big Senior Bowl.   Weird that UF didn't use him much.  But I really liked what I saw.  He comes off like a dude with a lot of dog in him.  When our pick came up in the third he was my top desire.   I liked Robinson, too but not as much.

Forgetting about whether they should or not.  I am betting if they pick top 3, they end up going QB unless they play Howell this season and he looks like the answer.

So i am going to start diving into these QBs hard.  lol, i didn't think I'd have to do it two years in a row.  But it's hard for me to see them going Will Anderson, Jalen Carter considering their attempts to build a winner via that position hasn't panned out thus far -- plus the narrative with hindsight of them going with Chase and not Herbert, etc. 

My point is I think some politics will play into their next pick.  They likely end up dead last in attendance this season.  They are rebranding.  Tough for me to see them not roll the dice on a QB in the draft especially with Roseman basically telling the world they are running with the cheap QB model and that's why they can afford to basically buy any player they want.

Season feels shot already.  The draft thread will have to be my heaven again.  😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I’m so annoyed that we’re going to inevitably take a QB and, as we all know, it’ll be the wrong one.

A LB like Sewell or To’o To’o would be such a good get for us. An OT. A corner.

But nope. We’re going to get a QB. And the team will do the ass backwards thing and play Wentz for over 70% of snaps so we lose a second. 

This team, man. Not sure it even matters who we draft with Snyder at the helm. But I’ll be diving deep again. Because why not.

• Like 2