Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Pick 14 right now. Zero idea about QB. They aren’t trading for one. They aren’t signing one. Won’t be able to draft one there. 

WHAT THE **** ARE WE DOING!?! WHAT IS THR PLAY?!?

Team is so beyond frustrating.

Howell better be what they want him to be. And trading up for QB4 or 5 is a mistake and then some. 

Going to have Howell/Heinicke next year if we win a few more. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Howell better be what they want him to be. And trading up for QB4 or 5 is a mistake and then some. 

Just keep kicking the can down the street

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Think the coaches are correct with it being to soon to play Howell?? We're quickly playing ourselves out of position to grab a top QB so personally I want to see him out there and what he can do. 

1 minute ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Think the coaches are correct with it being to soon to play Howell?? We're quickly playing ourselves out of position to grab a top QB so personally I want to see him out there and what he can do. 

Not sure. We’ll see. I know the style of offense we run is different than UNC. We take see drops for crossers and hitches (for some reason). Howell was more of a catch and throw or run guy in college. He can read a field he just did more of it on the run than in the pocket.

So there’s a chance it’s just the excuse publicly to play TH. But it could be true, too.

• Like 1

Will the Colts get a 2nd-round pick from Washington?

Commanders get: Carson Wentz, 2022 second-round pick (No. 47 overall), 2022 seventh-round pick (No. 236)

Colts get: 2022 second-round pick (No. 42), 2022 third-round pick (No. 73), conditional 2023 third-round pick*

*pick will turn into a second-rounder if Wentz plays 70% of snaps in 2022

For the Colts to get a second-round pick in 2023, Wentz would likely have to miss no games beyond that and play every snap when he returns through the rest of the season.

Through Week 6, he played all of the Commanders' 420 offensive snaps, putting him on pace to reach the 70% threshold in the 12th game.

Carson Wentz becomes favorite for getting benched

BetOnline.ag updated its odds for the chances of NFL quarterbacks getting benched for performance, and Wentz has shot to the top of that list at 5-4. His QB rating has dropped every week this season, from 101.0 in Week 1 to 56.6 in Week 4. The Commanders are 1-3 and losers of their last three games.

Edited by FrFan

15 hours ago, KDawg said:

Isn't Heinicke a free agent?  As of right now, there are 3-4 teams that would definitely draft a QB before us in the draft, but obviously that can change.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Isn't Heinicke a free agent?  As of right now, there are 3-4 teams that would definitely draft a QB before us in the draft, but obviously that can change.

If we want Heinicke he will likely stay. Of course, we'll have to pay him but he won't cost too much. 

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

So since we keep stupidly winning games QB is essentially now out for the time being (please lose every remaining game) I think we move to Tackles and CBs as options. If Ron is in place I fully expect a guard. 

We do need an infusion of young talent on the OL but I'm against taking one in the first round unless its a franchise LT type and even then, I'm not sure its really worth it. The best OLs have a bunch of pretty good players that mesh well together, like our OL last year.

I mean Trent Williams is a stud but the 49er OL is rated as one of the lower ones overall in the league.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We do need an infusion of young talent on the OL but I'm against taking one in the first round unless its a franchise LT type and even then, I'm not sure its really worth it. The best OLs have a bunch of pretty good players that mesh well together, like our OL last year.

I mean Trent Williams is a stud but the 49er OL is rated as one of the lower ones overall in the league.

Im 10000% against any non LT in the first round. Just saying its the dumb boomer thing to do to take a Guard round1. 

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Kenny Walker and Dameon Pierce and Travis Etienne ****ing dominating of late.  We need to be in charge of something.

Breece Hall as well.

Also, Chris Olave is top 10 in the league in receiving yards. I was probably the biggest Olave stan on here. Granted Dotson when healthy has been good too, but Olave would have basically given us TWO Terry McLaurins.

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

It definitely appears to be a bit of a weak Tackle class.

That said last year was a weak DT class (whereas this one is supposed to be a strong one).  That didn't prevent us from taking a 24 year DT in the second round.

I generally like Rivera, but don't trust him as a talent evaluator.

I don't really believe in this fo or coaching staff, so I absolutely don't want them picking another QB.  I'm praying we go on a win streak and play our way out of QB range.  This regime does not deserve an eighth chance at QB.  Nobody does.  I'm rooting for best lineman or DB available in the first round of this draft.

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Isaiah Likely looks like a beast.  I know some of us in here liked him in last year's draft thread.

He wasn't even the guy they wanted at that pick. Ravens thought Calvin Austin would drop too them, but the steelers grabbed him. I think it was their owner who suggested they take a tight end. 

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

Depends where we’re picking to be honest

Typically I’d agree, but not for 2023. I think a few factors are in play,

We had an extensive search through the veteran market this offseason, looks like a failed search at the minute. Chances are we are still going to be an unattractive option to any decent FAs anyway.  

Heinicke is likely going to prove himself to be a decent placeholder who keeps us broadly .500 until a rookie is ready to go.

Money, if you chose to believe that Dan is cash light, a rookie QB deal ticks the box.

Rivera - he appears convinced our roster is 80-90% complete. So QB will be the ultimate priority again.

Desperation - we are getting schooled by the rest of the division.

The wildcard being Howell, however we are not going to get a decent, if any, sample size of his ability before the offseason. Realistically will they go into 2023 with Heinicke and Howell competing for the #1 berth.

Second wildcard, I think there is a chance Rivera retires. Then we would be all in QB IMO.

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Typically I’d agree, but not for 2023. I think a few factors are in play,

We had an extensive search through the veteran market this offseason, looks like a failed search at the minute. Chances are we are still going to be an unattractive option to any decent FAs anyway.  

Heinicke is likely going to prove himself to be a decent placeholder who keeps us broadly .500 until a rookie is ready to go.

Money, if you chose to believe that Dan is cash light, a rookie QB deal ticks the box.

Rivera - he appears convinced our roster is 80-90% complete. So QB will be the ultimate priority again.

Desperation - we are getting schooled by the rest of the division.

The wildcard being Howell, however we are not going to get a decent, if any, sample size of his ability before the offseason. Realistically will they go into 2023 with Heinicke and Howell competing for the #1 berth.

Second wildcard, I think there is a chance Rivera retires. Then we would be all in QB IMO.

My point was if we are picking late teens there’s a good chance Young, Stroud, Hooker, Levis are all off the board. Then we’re looking at Spencer Rattler. Is that a guy the regime wants to spend a first on? (Probably not literally Rattler… his 5:8 TD INT ratio is concerning).

Reaching for a QB is a tremendous mistake if that is the case and I’d rather roll with Howell and go DB/OT/ILB in that situation.

I don’t think you’re arguing against that thought, and you’re just saying what you think the team will do. But if that happens there isn’t a bigger reason to doubt this regime.

• Like 1