Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

12 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Exactly the same way I felt about Chase in all honesty. 

Young was incredibly productive with 16.5 sacks and was very good against the run (he was about 20 pounds heavier than Will Anderson).   Anderson has 5 sacks in 7 games this year meaning he is on pace for 9 or 10 sacks and he is not as good against the run.  I think there is a much better argument that Will Anderson was a bit overhyped than Young.  That said, Anderson is still having a good year and deserves to be a high draft pick.   But he still might have been a bit overhyped.

Anderson was absolutely dominant last year.  More dominant than Chase was and Chase was an unstoppable game wrecker.  He earned his hype.  Something is clearly wrong with Anderson this season.  Not only is he not killing people like he did last year, he's not even playing hard any more.  When that happens with a great player like him, it is a telltale sign of an injury or an off field issue.  That would concern me a lot more than questions about his ability.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Can we tank all this year and next for Caleb Williams?

This is the solution. Trade back to the teens this coming draft and take someone like Mike Mayer or a CB since there will be a run of QBs going early, then accept another year of suckitude to have two shots at Caleb in the 1st round.

11 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Anderson was absolutely dominant last year.  More dominant than Chase was and Chase was an unstoppable game wrecker.  He earned his hype.  Something is clearly wrong with Anderson this season.  Not only is he not killing people like he did last year, he's not even playing hard any more.  When that happens with a great player like him, it is a telltale sign of an injury or an off field issue.  That would concern me a lot more than questions about his ability.

I’m not sure he was as dominant as you think he was. He had dominant moments, but when I was watching him this offseason I saw a lot of plays off or plays where he was taken out of the play fairly easily. This year we are seeing more of that and less of his dominating plays but to me it’s still on brand for him. 

He has elite traits so will likely find success at the next level but he looks similar to me this year as he did last year.

I agree with you on Gibbs. He, Tucker and Robinson are in a different world as backs in this class. 

RE: Bryce Young. I think I’m fully committed to him being QB1. I AM worried about his durability. But his playmaking ability is off the charts. CJ Stroud, something feels off when I watch him. And no, that’s not a high end critique of his abilities. I’ll deep dive on him this offseason but right now when I watch him something just feels off with him.

Levis… still not sold on him.

Young is the guy. He’s special. He makes things happen from no where. Everyone else is “just” a good QB prospect. Young is a potential franchise maker.

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Young is the guy. He’s special. He makes things happen from no where. Everyone else is “just” a good QB prospect. Young is a potential franchise maker.

Byrce Young is my number 1, but I also pretty high on CJ Stroud who my clear 2.  To me Stroud throws with way more anticipation than Justin Fields.  I eventually bought into the Fields hype and had him as my number 3 QB in 2021 behind Lawrence and Wilson, but I was slow to go ovewr to the Fields camp because I thought he held onto the ball too long and was somewhat reliant on the talent around him with the acknowledgement that his physical tools were great.   With Stroud, I feel like he gets rid of the ball on time and throws with anticipation.  He also has close to idea size.  He may not be quite the playmaker Young is and that is why I have Young number 1, but to me Stroud is a close #2.   

Levis is decent QB because of his traits, but its also somewhat risky to draft a QB real high just based on traits.  Levis is just a good college QB.  Assuming Levis is a top 5 draft pick the opportunity cost is really high.   If you could grab a player like Levis later in the first round it would be a good pick (because the opporunity cost is quite a bit low picking him there vs. #4 overall), but we all know he is not going to be available at like pick 22, so some team will take him early and either set their franchise up for the next decade or set their rebuild back 3 or 4 years.

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m not sure he was as dominant as you think he was. He had dominant moments, but when I was watching him this offseason I saw a lot of plays off or plays where he was taken out of the play fairly easily. This year we are seeing more of that and less of his dominating plays but to me it’s still on brand for him. 

He has elite traits so will likely find success at the next level but he looks similar to me this year as he did last year.

Not to me.  I think he looks hesitant and a lot more passive whereas last year he was ferocious and ultra productive.  Last season he led the country in sacks, TFLs, and pressures.  He had 80 pressures and 31 TFLs.  For context that's even more TFLs than Aaron Donald had his senior year when he had 28, and I did not expect to see that season get topped for a long time.  He averaged over 5 pressures a game, which is basically having a great game as a pass rusher every week.  We're probably not going to see a more individually dominant and productive season from a DL/Edge than that for a while.  To me he hasn't been that guy this season.  But it's also worth pointing out that he's still in the top ten Nationally for TFLs this season, and top 20 for sacks.  A down year for him is still a productive season for anyone else.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-draft-houston-texans-cj-stroud-chicago-bears-bryce-young

1. HOUSTON TEXANS: QB C.J. STROUD, OHIO STATE

The track record of Ohio State quarterbacks in the NFL is a talking point, but it doesn’t have any bearing on Stroud’s success at the next level. He plays the position differently than Dwayne Haskins or Justin Fields ever did. His average time to throw of 2.69 seconds through Week 5 of the college football season is nearly a half second faster than Fields' average at Ohio State. Stroud fits the bill of an NFL pocket passer.

2. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: EDGE WILL ANDERSON, ALABAMA

Anderson is the safest pick in the draft. He may not qualify as a generational prospect, but he boasts an elite all-around physical skill set. Anderson’s 97 pressures since the start of 2021 are the most in college football.

3. NEW YORK JETS: DI JALEN CARTER, GEORGIA

On last year’s stacked Georgia line that included now-NFL players Jordan Davis, Travon Walker and Devonte Wyatt, it was Carter who earned the highest pass-rushing grade … as a true sophomore. He already has seven pressures on only 47 pass-rushing snaps this season, although he'll likely miss time with an MCL injury. 

4. CHICAGO BEARS: QB BRYCE YOUNG, ALABAMA

At 6-foot and 194 pounds, Young won’t tick all the boxes physically. When he steps on the field, though, he ticks boxes left and right. He’s already earned a 91.3 overall grade this season without the two top-50 draft picks he lost at receiver from last season.

5. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB WILL LEVIS, KENTUCKY

Hailing from a pro-style offense with all the physical tools you could want at the position, Levis is an evaluator's dream. It's worrisome that he has more turnover-worthy plays (six) than big-time throws (three) this season, but a prospective team is likely banking on what he could become. He could even learn for a year behind Carson Wentz if the Commanders choose to bring the veteran back (what not to do, of course).

6. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: DI BRYAN BRESEE, CLEMSON

Bresee is a 6-foot-5, 300-pound physical freak built to play on the Steelers' defensive line. He has 11 pressures in three games this season, and the arrow only continues to point up for the former No. 1 overall recruit. Put him next to Cameron Heyward and watch quarterbacks crumble.

7. CAROLINA PANTHERS: EDGE MYLES MURPHY, CLEMSON

Murphy’s floor is probably still a top-10 pick with just how absurdly powerful he is for a defensive end. At 6-foot-5 and 275 pounds, he isn’t getting moved off the ball one-on-one. A slow start to the season for Murphy has given way to nine pressures the past two weeks.

1 hour ago, method man said:

What is everyone's take on Jaren Hall? I haven't seem him play at all but all the scouting reports comp him to Russell Wilson.

Only seen highlights of him, so I am not that familiar with him.  Putting up good stats against pretty good competition.  Has a PFF grade around 80 which isn't amazing.  PFF doesn't have him on their big board at this point (but I think their big board is only at like 100 players now--by draft day they have it up to 300 players)

On 10/16/2022 at 8:37 AM, philibusters said:

Young was incredibly productive with 16.5 sacks and was very good against the run (he was about 20 pounds heavier than Will Anderson).   Anderson has 5 sacks in 7 games this year meaning he is on pace for 9 or 10 sacks and he is not as good against the run.  I think there is a much better argument that Will Anderson was a bit overhyped than Young.  That said, Anderson is still having a good year and deserves to be a high draft pick.   But he still might have been a bit overhyped.

Anderson had 17.5 last season?

Grayson McCall has been my under the radar QB prospect. He's been on my radar since he outgunned Zach Wilson a few years ago. He's never gotten much attention so maybe there's something I haven't noticed yet, but he has impressed me in the limited time I've watched him so far. 

47 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Grayson McCall has been my under the radar QB prospect. He's been on my radar since he outgunned Zach Wilson a few years ago. He's never gotten much attention so maybe there's something I haven't noticed yet, but he has impressed me in the limited time I've watched him so far. 

Because he has essentially zero chance of ever being elite. Hes a back up in the league. No one is drafting QBs just to be middling of the pack 15th-18th type of guys and thats Graysons ceiling.