Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

Welcome to hell, Elon

You break it, you buy it.

You ****ed up real good, kiddo.

Twitter is a disaster clown car company that is successful despite itself, and there is no possible way to grow users and revenue without making a series of enormous compromises that will ultimately destroy your reputation and possibly cause grievous damage to your other companies.

I say this with utter confidence because the problems with Twitter are not engineering problems. They are political problems. Twitter, the company, makes very little interesting technology; the tech stack is not the valuable asset. The asset is the user base: hopelessly addicted politicians, reporters, celebrities, and other people who should know better but keep posting anyway. You! You, Elon Musk, are addicted to Twitter. You’re the asset. You just bought yourself for $44 billion dollars.

The problem when the asset is people is that people are intensely complicated, and trying to regulate how people behave is historically a miserable experience, especially when that authority is vested in a single powerful individual.

What I mean is that you are now the King of Twitter, and people think that you, personally, are responsible for everything that happens on Twitter now. It also turns out that absolute monarchs usually get murdered when **** goes sideways.

Here are some examples: you can write as many polite letters to advertisers as you want, but you cannot reasonably expect to collect any meaningful advertising revenue if you do not promise those advertisers “brand safety.” That means you have to ban racism, sexism, transphobia, and all kinds of other speech that is totally legal in the United States but reveals people to be total assholes. So you can make all the promises about “free speech” you want, but the dull reality is that you still have to ban a bunch of legal speech if you want to make money. And when you start doing that, your creepy new right-wing fanboys are going to viciously turn on you, just like they turn on every other social network that realizes the same essential truth.

continued...

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28/23428132/elon-musk-twitter-acquisition-problems-speech-moderation

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

Saw a FB post that said Elon musk is going to unban anyone with a suspended twitter account….

Had a couple accounts suspended in the past couple years (telling someone to play in traffic, told one lady I hope her husband gets Covid, cause she bragged that he likes to lick his credit card and hand it to grocery store cashiers to see the shock on their faces in the pandemic), and eventually twitter just started banning any new account id create, and my number (which was linked to many accounts) finally started not getting accepted.

anyone know how soon i should be able to get back on twitter? 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

unbanning trump is a redline for me, though unbanning Kanye might have been worse..

though I can’t tell if Kanye is really a biggot or just mentally ill…. 

Nothing Elon does is ever truly a red line for you. lol

The most you do when Elon does or says something stupid/awful/ignorant is turn into Susan Collins where you express mild disapproval or even might think about penning a semi-sternly worded letter.

• Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Saw a FB post that said Elon musk is going to unban anyone with a suspended twitter account….

Had a couple accounts suspended in the past couple years (telling someone to play in traffic, told one lady I hope her husband gets Covid, cause she bragged that he likes to lick his credit card and hand it to grocery store cashiers to see the shock on their faces in the pandemic), and eventually twitter just started banning any new account id create, and my number (which was linked to many accounts) finally started not getting accepted.

anyone know how soon i should be able to get back on twitter? 

I can’t tell if this is a joke 

• Haha 3