Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

Until they spend money in free agency they will be trash. I also have zero confidence any of our top prospects will end up being game changers. Who is the last player from our farm system that ended up being really good other than Machado? Mountcastle looks okay I suppose. Hays has been whatever. We always strike out with pitchers in the draft, countless flops.

Just now, abdcskins said:

Until they spend money in free agency they will be trash. I also have zero confidence any of our top prospects will end up being game changers. Who is the last player from our farm system that ended up being really good other than Machado? Mountcastle looks okay I suppose. Hays has been whatever. We always strike out with pitchers in the draft, countless flops.

I think G-Rod will be good. But yes, until they spend, they will lose 100 games every season. The team has one good SP this season. 

24 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I think G-Rod will be good. But yes, until they spend, they will lose 100 games every season. The team has one good SP this season. 

It’s not just that Means is the only good SP.  He’s the only guy who you’d expect to give you five innings.  The rest is awful.  Even if Rodriguez hits, this isn’t a 70 win team.

Diaz, the prize of the Machado trade, can’t crack the lineup with Mancini, Hayes, and Santander in front of him?  That’s sorry.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

It’s not just that Means is the only good SP.  He’s the only guy who you’d expect to give you five innings.  The rest is awful.  Even if Rodriguez hits, this isn’t a 70 win team.

Diaz, the prize of the Machado trade, can’t crack the lineup with Mancini, Hayes, and Santander in front of him?  That’s sorry.

100% agree. I hope Mancini is traded to a team that is expected to contend for a few years. I think Rutschman will be up as soon as he's healthy. He will have missed the two weeks needed for the O's to manipulate his service time. (I hate that rule) He was ready last season but the O's do what the O's do. It's a shame they chose not to give these younger players a better roster around them when they do come up this season. 

Cedric Mullins ready to show the league that last year was not a fluke.  First career grand slam!

If he stays hot it will be very interesting to see if the club attempts to deal him at the deadline.  He turns 28 in October.  I don't know his contract situation, I can't imagine it is much.  I think you gotta keep him.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Cedric Mullins ready to show the league that last year was not a fluke.  First career grand slam!

If he stays hot it will be very interesting to see if the club attempts to deal him at the deadline.  He turns 28 in October.  I don't know his contract situation, I can't imagine it is much.  I think you gotta keep him.

He’s under team control for 3 seasons after 2022, with next year his first year of arbitration (and a niiiice raise - probably to 8-9 million or more). 

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 5:43 AM, justice98 said:

It's getting harder and harder for me to get up for these seasons using the "I'm excited to see the young guys play" argument.  

I have zero confidence they won't lose 100 this year.  Which would be the 4th season out of 5 if they hit it. And the expectations for 2023 arent even that great. 

Astros from 2011-2014 seasons lost 106, 107, 111, 92 games.  

Hope springs eternal!

I don't get why now is the time to be negative and give up. Not you @justice98 specifically but I've seen a lot of negativity online about this season and I kinda don't get it. 

They have been in rebuild mode for 3 full seasons, which has had three significant setbacks (Duquette being an absolute buffoon) the pandemic year that halted a minor league season, and one of their top 2 picks having a weird heart condition that took out a season. 

I would hope the organization does something in good faith for the fans this season like extending Means and/or Mullins but I sincerely like the way things are headed. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

6 runs over the last two games courtesy of Mullins.  While that's good for him, it's not good for the rest of the team.

Bullpen is looking good so far.  

Yea, down a run in the 8th and they loaded the bases and got nothing... Leadoff double off of Hader in the 9th and nothing... winnable game last night. 

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I don't get why now is the time to be negative and give up. Not you @justice98 specifically but I've seen a lot of negativity online about this season and I kinda don't get it. 

They have been in rebuild mode for 3 full seasons, which has had three significant setbacks (Duquette being an absolute buffoon) the pandemic year that halted a minor league season, and one of their top 2 picks having a weird heart condition that took out a season. 

I would hope the organization does something in good faith for the fans this season like extending Means and/or Mullins but I sincerely like the way things are headed. 

How long do you give a pass to Elias to turn things around?  If they can’t crack .500 by the end of 2024, do you continue with him?

33 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

How long do you give a pass to Elias to turn things around?  If they can’t crack .500 by the end of 2024, do you continue with him?

I think he has turned things around, though. #1 minor league system, top positional player and pitching prospect in baseball, international development and scouting. 

Andy MacPhail took over in midseason 2007 and the team didn't prosper until 2012 (and after he left), And even then. there was no real overhaul of the minors, international development, use of modern baseball analytics, etc.The Buck/Duq duo also didn't truly invest in the organization and though many of the decisions they were making were good, it was never about the long term.This is a sea change for this organization. It's no coincidence that Peter Angelos is no longer involved. 

I think it's reasonable to that the team needs to be more competitive in 2023 and vying for the playoffs in 2024.  They need to get that first wave to the majors this year as well as see who on the current roster is in the future plans. And then do it again as more prospects make it as well as augment the team in free agency.  

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Honestly, I'd settle for generating some modicum of upward momentum at the big league level at this point.  Cracking 60 wins this year and 70-75 by 2024 seems like it's gonna enough of a challenge.  They gotta get out of this 45-55 win area though. 

I just wonder about the free agency part.  When they stop trying to fill out the roster with Jordan Lyles and Jorge Mateo types just trying to get by and kill time and start signing people with actual expectations to not be terrible.

Side note, I feel like Means is basically this team's version of Erik Bedard and we got a nice haul for Bedard once upon a time. We sold high on him, maybe we do the same for a Means.  

• Like 2