Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

8 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

He's got 1 year deal left on his deal, he's a Boras client, and I still have to assume this is small-market Baltimore until new ownership proves otherwise.

So I'm looking at this as 1 year of Burns. I wouldn't say we didn't give up much - 2 top-100 prospects is nothing to sneeze at, even for a club with a stacked farm like the O's.

But we have a team on the verge of doing something special, we had to make a move for a TOR ace, and Burns is awesome. 

Happy about the trade.

Can't believe we're only 2 months from Opening Day!

Burnes is represented by CAA.

That said, I am looking at it as a one year deal, too.  But in thinking about Burnes, he was pissed, PIIIIIIISSSSSSED about how the Brewers treated him in arbitration.  I think he just wants to be in a place where he's respected and well compensated.  There's no reason that can't be here.

This is a great, great move though.  I am cautiously optimistic that the new ownership is willing to spend some good money.  This is a great step in the right direction in that regard.

I was looking forward to baseball season because...well, baseball season...but this just put me over the top.  I ****ing can't wait, this is awesome.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Burnes is represented by CAA.

That said, I am looking at it as a one year deal, too.  But in thinking about Burnes, he was pissed, PIIIIIIISSSSSSED about how the Brewers treated him in arbitration.  I think he just wants to be in a place where he's respected and well compensated.  There's no reason that can't be here.

This is a great, great move though.  I am cautiously optimistic that the new ownership is willing to spend some good money. 

His B-R page says CAA but articles reference him switching to Boras last offseason. Either way, I doubt he’s signing an extension before hitting the open market. 

Definitely agree about the level of excitement (assuming the sale goes through). We’ve had two extra reasons to get hype in the past 72 hours! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

His B-R page says CAA but articles reference him switching to Boras last offseason. Either way, I doubt he’s signing an extension before hitting the open market. 

This vid says its Boras and he found out before his agent did.

9:13 mark

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Buzzette likes it.

Also, spring training has started. Start a new thread or just continue this one? What say the crowd?

@DCSaints_fan can probably update the title!

The O'Hearn/Mountcastle platoon continues in 24, May as well run it back until you find a long term replacement for both. 

18 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Not a good start to camp. Bradish a UCL injury. Gunnar has an oblique strain, and Means is behind schedule.

At least the Rays proved that you can’t win the division in April. 

I guess TJ is on the table if conservative measures don’t work for Bradish. It’s easy for fans to be like - ok have the surgery now so you can come back in June or July 2025 but that’s not our career on the line. 

They have a lot of trade capital if the need comes. It’ll be ok. 

I'm listening to the Locked On Orioles podcast. Sounds like the plan is a PRP injection.  It's already actually been a month since he first noticed it and they haven't decided to do surgery so far. Elias apparently said he thinks Bradish could be on the mound in June.

I hope Holliday makes the roster. Past few years the Orioles have been giving young guys shots, as opposed to coddling them in the minors until their mid 20s. I thought Adley should have come up sooner.

Bradish news sucks. Hope he can come back, but gut feeling is he will be out this year.

6 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I hope Holliday makes the roster. Past few years the Orioles have been giving young guys shots, as opposed to coddling them in the minors until their mid 20s. I thought Adley should have come up sooner.

Bradish news sucks. Hope he can come back, but gut feeling is he will be out this year.

100% he will be on the roster this year. It's just a matter of timing. Waiting until late May (I think?) to bring him gets us another year of team control.

• Like 1

• DCSaints_fan changed the title to 2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Angelos was a petty, vindictive man who trashed the DC area and feuded with the late jack Kent Cooke over Baltimore getting a football team in the 90s. He meddle constantly, tried to buy titles unsuccessfully, drove an organization into a deep hole of which they are only just now getting out of. "DC is not a baseball town." 

His only saving grace is his support of labor in 1995. 

Peter Angelos was a brilliant and tenacious litigator. He was pro labor, and a true philanthropist. He supported, believed in and embodied Baltimore. He supported many charities and foundations and writers have often reflected that there are dozens and dozens of things he has done for people behind the scenes that he didn’t put his name to. 

He also refused to compromise Cal’s streak with replacement players. He refused to put some bull**** insurance company on the marquee of Oriole Park. He made sure he made the best deal possible when MLB forced a DC team. Even in death, I’m sure he will still remain a boogeyman to many. 

He was also a stubborn tyrant who refused to learn and adjust as an owner after some initial success with a team he didn’t assemble in a stadium he didn’t build. He failed to sign Mike Mussina. He meddled in draft choices and free agent signings, he made baffling management decisions like firing John Miller or compelling Davey Johnson to resign. He also allowed the farm system and baseball infrastructure to rot. He pushed talented people out the door as he had to be right. 

He also believed that his ownership was akin to a public trust. He was loyal to Baltimore and he stipulated on his will that his two jewels  - the firm and the ball club, be sold upon his death. He came from meager beginnings and didn’t want to install some kind of succession to his kids. 

As a lifelong Orioles fan, I’m conflicted by the news of his passing. He’s not Snyder - a person with almost no redeeming qualities. But he never really held up his end of the bargain to help deliver Baltimore a championship it deserves. This is the true end of one era and the beginning of another. Hopefully with more success.

Safe home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Peter Angelos was a brilliant and tenacious litigator. He was pro labor, and a true philanthropist. He supported, believed in and embodied Baltimore. He supported many charities and foundations and writers have often reflected that there are dozens and dozens of things he has done for people behind the scenes that he didn’t put his name to. 

He also refused to compromise Cal’s streak with replacement players. He refused to put some bull**** insurance company on the marquee of Oriole Park. He made sure he made the best deal possible when MLB forced a DC team. Even in death, I’m sure he will still remain a boogeyman to many. 

He was also a stubborn tyrant who refused to learn and adjust as an owner after some initial success with a team he didn’t assemble in a stadium he didn’t build. He failed to sign Mike Mussina. He meddled in draft choices and free agent signings, he made baffling management decisions like firing John Miller or compelling Davey Johnson to resign. He also allowed the farm system and baseball infrastructure to rot. He pushed talented people out the door as he had to be right. 

He also believed that his ownership was akin to a public trust. He was loyal to Baltimore and he stipulated on his will that his two jewels  - the firm and the ball club, be sold upon his death. He came from meager beginnings and didn’t want to install some kind of succession to his kids. 

As a lifelong Orioles fan, I’m conflicted by the news of his passing. He’s not Snyder - a person with almost no redeeming qualities. But he never really held up his end of the bargain to help deliver Baltimore a championship it deserves. This is the true end of one era and the beginning of another. Hopefully with more success.

Safe home. 

he was the second worst owner only behind Snyder. in DC the name is reviled even among dc oriole fans.